IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

There are a lot of homeschooling families that do home births and don't register their children's births or register their children as being homeschooled and most of them don't have as much to hide as the Turpins did.

Most do not.  But if you are reading about the Nauglers on the other thread here on FJ, the mother Nicole also home births.  There are 11 living children and there was one still birth last July.  She had miscarriages and it is alleged there is a baby unaccounted for, possibly buried somewhere.  The parents do not give their children birth certs or social security numbers, and they "unschool"at home.  Despite their very public presence on Facebook (Blessed Little Homestead) and a blog, they are chronic liars and have a lot they are hiding.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sideways said:

If anyone has a way to watch the press conference that doesn't require a facebook account, please share!

9 minutes ago, Curious said:

They aren't charged with child abuse.  They are charged with TORTURE (and child endangerment) for now.  I would bet there are other charges coming down the pike.  7 of those kids are adults and I have a feeling the consequences for holding adults captive (even if they are your children) is different than holding minor children captive.

I also wonder if they have money stashed somewhere.  That bail is one meant to be sure they can't meet it.  $18 million is well, well, well beyond what the average couple with only one person working would be able to meet.   They clearly weren't spending any money on the children so if dad was making $140k a year they may have some money in investments or something squirreled away.

I agree.  The parents have siblngs and their own parents who, incredibly, seem to have expressed some support for the parents, and the justice system wants to be sure no one can put a house (or several) up as collateral or something along those lines.

I just read that strangling was another form of punishment that the parents used. My heart is completely broken for these poor children (and adults).

Can someone post a link to the articles your reading?  Nothing I read had much actual information aside from things about the house in Texas.

Never mind, there are updated ones now.  Just couldn't watch the press conference so I needed a non video, sorry

Here's a good summary of the press conference.  The DA has increased the number of charges and bail is now set at 13M each.  I expect there will be more charges as the investigation goes on.

http://ktla.com/2018/01/18/turpin-children-were-chained-as-punishment-denied-access-to-food-bathrooms-and-regular-showers-da/

9 minutes ago, HearMeRoar said:

I just read that strangling was another form of punishment that the parents used. My heart is completely broken for these poor children (and adults).

What? Good Lord. The more I hear the more I want to see them tortured. 

7 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

One thing that has me shocked is that the 17 year old hero even knew to call 911. It sounds like these victims were very sheltered and controlled but at some point along the way they must have been exposed to enough normal things for her to know that a deactivated cell phone could call 911 and that 911 would bring help. 

Another amazing thing is that this person was able to crawl out a window without any of the other siblings alerting their parents. You would think the Stockholm Syndrome would be strong and at least some would have spoke up. That tells me things went from already bad to very, very bad recently in that house.

On CNN they said that a younger sibling went with the 17 year old, who had been planning her escape to get help for TWO YEARS, but the younger sibling got scared and went back inside.

They also said the parents would buy all kinds of pies and put them on the counter where the children could see them, but didn't get to eat anything.

If they washed their hands above the wrist they were considered to be "playing in the water" and got punished.

They were not allowed to have toys, but they were allowed to journal!  The police think the journals will be a major part of the case.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Plus 3 more that are very similar to Duggar names. I think that's probably inevitable if you've got a mega family with a J name theme.

I also feel like the duggars named their kids variants of the same name or sounds-- Josiah/Josie, Joy-Anna/Johannah, Jeremiah/Jedidiah (although those were twins, but still, it irks me when twins names are similar).

I played a game with myself once where I thought up J names that weren't ones the Duggars had used.  They could have given their children each an original name but still be a J and. I wonder why they never used Julie/Julia, I seem to remember JB saying he loved that name. And I find it strange they didn't use Jacob for a boy... that's more biblical than Justin! Then again, Jinger... 

Jenice, Janice, Jerry, Jezebel, Jaclyn (or any spelling variant in there)?? (Okay Jezebel was a joke!) 

Can you imagine the terror?  The escape involved going out through a window with a cell phone. This took two years to put into effect.  The timeline also makes me wonder, as it would appear that the plan was formed around the time of the baby’s birth.  Perhaps that pregnancy/birth was, for some as yet unknown reason, the final impetus to get the kids out of there. 

Interesting in the press releases he said religion was not a factor, but declined to answer when asked what motivated the parents to do it. 

There extremely high bail is significant, and really makes me even more curious about the parent's circumstances and what else is to come.

5 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The parents are pleading not guilty.

That will probably change when they receive legal advice and see all the eventual charges. I’m assuming the prosecutors will push for a plea bargain to save the children from testifying too.

Edit to add - something just broke in me as I posted that and I’ve burst into tears. This is just so so awful. And I’m sure it’s more awful than we know at this point. I so hope those siblings can stay together if they want to.

I’m not familiar with the American/Californian justice system - will the parents assets be frozen and seized as compensation for their victims upon a finding of guilt, or will they be able to use them to fund their defense?

All of it is so horrific but the fact that they bought toys that their children weren’t allowed to play with and baked pies that their (starving) children couldn’t eat just breaks my heart. 

The conditions the children lived in sound almost like death camps. The thought of people doing that to eachother is horrible enough but to your own children? I would give Miniway my last food and the clothes of my back. All I want is for him to be safe, happy and loved. This case makes me so sad. 

That 17 year old is a hero. She is brave and strong and I hope there is someone there to take care of her and tell her that. 

Most cases result in plea deals, I expect this one to as well.  Its possible it won't if they really don't think they are guilty.  I understand that pleading insanity is almost impossible, although you can be found not competent to stand trial.  I don't think they would want that though, they seem to think they did nothing wrong.  I don't see how they can think that, and how they can think that even if they were "right" in some way and the whole world is "wrong" they won't be found to be wrong by that world.  I'm not sure if that last part makes sense, I'll try to be clearer if it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Something very peculiar.  David Turpin wrote a note on his grandmother's memorial page.  It notes all the children but there are names of FOUR boys; there are only three who were taken into protective services......

http://www.engleshookfuneralhome.com/guestbook/1146841

I assume you are considering Jordan a boys name?  It's a unisex name.  My BFF has a daughter named Jordan.  It was a name I considered for my girl as well.

1 minute ago, Curious said:

I assume you are considering Jordan a boys name?  It's a unisex name.  My BFF has a daughter named Jordan.  It was a name I considered for my girl as well.

Considering the birthorder and the already named adults it looks like Jordan is the hero. 

Things might have gotten worse for the older kids when the miracle baby was born. Maybe that’s why they started planning their escape? I cling to the hope it used to be a little better. 

So if for some reason they go free (because the justice system is so great), I would happily pay the legal defense fees for the ones who kill these parents. It's very "un-Christian like" to wish for people to be murdered, but it's also "un-Christian like" to have these monsters live in society.

I hope that person is a sadist, too

Once I heard somebody describe insanity pleas as this: if you would not have changed your actions if a police officer were standing right in front of you, you couldn't tell right from wrong.

The fact that they hid their children from the outside world except when they were needed as props for their vow renewals says to me that they knew goddamned well they weren't behaving appropriately.

2 whole years to form an escape plan and put it into action and I'm guessing it took that long just to build up enough courage to try putting it into action. She must have been pushed to the limits of horror to attempt that. Given that several of the kids didn't know what a police officer was how were they to know that any hope or rescue would come with enacting that plan. She was probably terrified it would result in even harsher treatment for her and her siblings. The courage this girl had can not be emphasized enough.

Just now, CaricatureQualities said:

2 whole years to form an escape plan and put it into action and I'm guessing it took that long just to build up enough courage to try putting it into action. She must have been pushed to the limits of horror to attempt that. Given that several of the kids didn't know what a police officer was how were they to know that any hope or rescue would come with enacting that plan. She was probably terrified it would result in even harsher treatment for her and her siblings. The courage this girl had can not be emphasized enough.

But then juxtapose that with the fact that they took occasional trips to fucking DISNEYLAND of all places.  

My guess is the toys were sent to the children by relatives and they weren't allowed to open them.

I am also guessing that the oldest being 82 pounds might be because she shared her food with her younger siblings. If they all got one meal a day, and in pictures some of the children are thinner than others, I would guess the thinnest was sharing her food. It's possible they withheld food even more if she "misbehaved." Maybe helping the younger ones. I'm just imagining some of the older ones taking on a very motherly role towards the younger ones. Some at have felt protective over the youngest but could only do so much. 

4 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Considering the birthorder and the already named adults it looks like Jordan is the hero. 

Things might have gotten worse for the older kids when the miracle baby was born. Maybe that’s why they started planning their escape? I cling to the hope it used to be a little better. 

Maybe they saw the extreme difference in how they treated the baby and how they treated the rest of them. 

In the interview with the Texas neighbors, they said that they never saw the mom pregnant, but when they moved away (sounds like it was an abrupt departure), they had added new little ones to the family. 

So bizarre, even the smaller details. They allowed them to journal, attend a college class, go to Disney (at least a couple of years ago) and go to Vegas (with Elvis). But forced to memorize huge portions of the bible. It's all so horrific and strange. Every bit of it. 

I have a sick, sinking feeling that severe sexual abuse will become a part of this. It just might not be something that they can really delve into yet.  These poor kids must be relieved to be safe, but so very fragile at the same time. 

Prison is too easy for this garbage. 

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived