IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

I noticed in all the fb pictures that there were way more pictures of the baby and they she was never thin. Always chubby and healthy looking. The baby was the obvious favorite based on fb. I bet she's a miracle baby due to fertility help if she's not a child of one of the older girls. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole mess just makes me sick. I can't understand how parents can treat their children like this. I'm not the perfect mom by any means, but denying my kids the basic needs of life has never crossed my mind! What sort of messed up, twisted agenda were they trying to accomplish?!?!

Just now, Sideways said:

Something very peculiar.  David Turpin wrote a note on his grandmother's memorial page.  It notes all the children but there are names of FOUR boys; there are only three who were taken into protective services......

http://www.engleshookfuneralhome.com/guestbook/1146841

I certainly hope one of the daughters isn't a son, so that would leave a child who passed away? 

1 minute ago, Sideways said:

Something very peculiar.  David Turpin wrote a note on his grandmother's memorial page.  It notes all the children but there are names of FOUR boys; there are only three who were taken into protective services......

http://www.engleshookfuneralhome.com/guestbook/1146841

I only see three names that are definitely male... Jordan could be either male or female.  

7 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Corona Chamber of Commerce has set up an official donation page for the victims.  They are in need of so much.   Not only financial contributions, but clothing, shoes, feminine hygiene products, toys.   Heartbroken.  My kids are going to organize a school drive to help the victims.

http://www.mychamber.org/events/details/donations-for-perris-abuse-victims-14222

Interesting they are so specific about crew neck shirts and No V-necks (!)  I wonder why?

It's amazing that, so far, it seems like all the children survived. That might not have been true if they had been kept in those conditions much longer. Again, that 17-year-old girl is an absolute hero and incredibly brave.

This is all so horrific I can't find the words to express how I feel about it. This level of abuse is unimaginable. My mind comes up against it and just...I can't describe it. 

I do hope that counseling will also be provided to the people helping these children and their adult siblings in the months and years to come. They're going to need it. I can't begin to imagine how those deputies and other law enforcement officials who first went into that house must be dealing with the mental and emotional stress. It's going to haunt them forever. :my_cry:

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They have at least 5 children's names in common with the Duggars. The baby might as well. I forget her name.

Plus 3 more that are very similar to Duggar names. I think that's probably inevitable if you've got a mega family with a J name theme.

8 minutes ago, pook said:

Interesting they are so specific about crew neck shirts and No V-necks (!)  I wonder why?

It could be that their chests are very boney or they might be uncomfortable with showing too much skin? 

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Total idle speculation: I think those kids were abused for years, but things became significantly worse in the past year or so when one or both parents' mental states deteriorated. It explains how the 17 year old would know how to use a phone and what 911 is. I have trouble believing all of those kids would have survived one meal a day, two showers a year, shackled to a bed all day for decades.  Or maybe that's what I just need to believe because it's too terrible otherwise.

I hoped that too, but the pictures of the condition of the TX house when the new owners took possession indicate otherwise. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

For everyone screaming "why didn't they call CPS?" -  That's one of those "damned if you do/damned if you don't" topics. 

There was an article in the London Evening Standard today reflecting these sentiments. Basically if you don’t speak out then you are practically complicit but if you do then you are some nosy curtain twitcher with no life. 

This is so sad and appalling and I do think that this is made possible by a lax approach to “homeschooling.”  I am not saying that homeschooling is universally bad but the fact is that children at school have a much better chance of having issues spotted by a responsible adult and/or of having someone to confide in. Abuse thrives when the victim is isolated and, since children are especially vulnerable, I do think that homeschooling needs to be carefully monitored.  And responsible homeschoolers would surely not be concerned about such monitoring.

14 minutes ago, pook said:

They probably wouldn't wear the v-necks due to the very modest upbringing. Small steps. 

This couple deserves the same treatment they gave their kids then dispatched to that special place in hell waiting for them.

Off to the prayer closet to pray to St. Rufus.

46 minutes ago, Curious said:

So there are legit reasons why grandparents don't get to see their grandchildren.   I am not saying the Turpin case is one of them, of course.   I would hope that had my parents thought I was abusing my kid they would have called to have a well check done on him and I think they would have.

You're right, of course.  I've read enough JustNoMIL on Reddit and DWIL on Babycenter that I shouldn't have said that.  I apologize for posting without thinking through it completely.

I think what struck me about this case is that it seems like the grandparents were still in contact with the parents, but then the grandparents stopped seeing or talking to the grandchildren?  I'm not entirely clear.  This case is so strange and sad.  None of it makes any sense.

5 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

This couple deserves the same treatment they gave their kids then dispatched to that special place in hell waiting for them.

Off to the prayer closet to pray to St. Rufus.

One meal a day and chain them to a bed in their own urine and feces. Fair and equitable.

I am fuming mad that he sexually abused them. That fucking bastard burn in hell!

Article says they were hogtied as punishment and the punishment could last for months.

SICK son of a bitch!

On 1/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, nausicaa said:

I completely agree, and I seriously hope they never see daylight again. However, is there any other American case of even horrific child abuse that entailed such a high bond amount? (I'm genuinely asking, I don't know enough about legal precedent here.) Million dollar bonds always seemed reserved for murder. 

They aren't charged with child abuse.  They are charged with TORTURE (and child endangerment) for now.  I would bet there are other charges coming down the pike.  7 of those kids are adults and I have a feeling the consequences for holding adults captive (even if they are your children) is different than holding minor children captive.

I also wonder if they have money stashed somewhere.  That bail is one meant to be sure they can't meet it.  $18 million is well, well, well beyond what the average couple with only one person working would be able to meet.   They clearly weren't spending any money on the children so if dad was making $140k a year they may have some money in investments or something squirreled away.

It's interesting though that they seem to have engaged with the "system" a lot more than some other homeschooling families. The children were born in hospitals and the parents were registered as homeschoolers. There are a lot of homeschooling families that do home births and don't register their children's births or register their children as being homeschooled and most of them don't have as much to hide as the Turpins did.

I live a few hours from them and my Facebook feed will. not. shut. up. about these people.  So being the good FJ’ite that I am, I am diving in at the beginning.  Please get the ferrets ready with some nice craft beer, I’ve got a feeling I will need it. 

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived