IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

I actually unfollowed her over that post. I thought about engaging, but I just don’t have enough energy for it. To see someone from a family that’s going through something so horrific not Ben supportive of other survivors because they don’t share their politics is sickening. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, albireo said:

I'm starting to think someone must have caught Alan in the act, as horrifying as that sounds. Addie and the Mortons might not have believed the kid otherwise.  :shakehead:

This occurred to me, too.

Trying not to speculate here, but am guessing that this was NOT a matter of someone -- minor or adult -- telling someone else about abuse. It was a matter of proof incontrovertible.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

56 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

This occurred to me, too.

Trying not to speculate here, but am guessing that this was NOT a matter of someone -- minor or adult -- telling someone else about abuse. It was a matter of proof incontrovertible.

This has always been my thought as well. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Addie's post was really frustrating. She prefaced it with a little blurb about how she'd been struggling to put her thoughts into words, and one can't help but wish that she'd just listened to whatever inner voice recognized the hypocrisy in her heart. The spew that followed was about what you'd expect from someone who is desperately trying to justify something that isn't compatible with their belief system or personal values solely on the basis of party affiliation. It wasn't necessary for her to post ANYTHING, but like many of her peers who refuse to exercise restraint these days, she puzzled her way through it until she was able to put something on social media that firmly cemented her loyalty to sexual predators whilst simultaneously gatekeeping on behalf of "real" victims of sexual assault.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

It wasn't necessary for her to post ANYTHING, but like many of her peers who refuse to exercise restraint these days, she puzzled her way through it until she was able to put something on social media that firmly cemented her loyalty to sexual predators whilst simultaneously gatekeeping on behalf of "real" victims of sexual assault.

This is exactly what Beall Phillips did in a quickly deleted post on her blog last year. She blasted her husband’s victim, Lourdes Torres, and called her a liar, while saying that she (Beall) sympathized with “real victims” in the #metoo movement.

These are the main talking points for Kavanaugh amongst these women, even when — as in Addie’s case — it must require major mental contortions to promote them. Guess itʻs more important to save fetuses or embryos than it is to stop abuse of living victims.

They are whited sepulchers, every one of them — outwardly clean and shining white, but inwardly filled with rot, corruption, and dead men’s bones.
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

This is exactly what Beall Phillips did in a quickly deleted post on her blog last year. She blasted her husband’s victim, Lourdes Torres, and called her a liar, while saying that she (Beall) sympathized with “real victims” in the #metoo movement.

These are the main talking points for Kavanaugh amongst these women, even when — as in Addie’s case — it must require major mental contortions to promote them. Guess itʻs more important to save fetuses or embryos than it is to stop abuse of living victims.

They are whited sepulchers, every one of them — outwardly clean and shining white, but inwardly filled with rot, corruption, and dead men’s bones.

It’s also interesting that the Morton’s seem to despise Alan’s parents for defending their own son yet here’s Adeline defending a man she’s never met because of his politics. 

I find her defense of a sexual predator more infuriating than the Smiths’. At least I kind of get why they would defend their son (although I still find it revolting).

• Upvote 13

Every time I get lulled into thinking maybe the Mortons have changed even a little, one of them goes and does something in the same vein as Addie's post. Sure they wear pants now and they don't seem to wash feet at their weddings but they are the same as they ever were. Addie sounds syrupy sweet but that syrup is an ingredient of the fundie koolaid. 

I am just glad the the family decided to support Katie. However I don't think it was the weight of the evidence that convinced them to support her. I think they support her because she is one of them. Had the same evidence been brought forward in another case involving some other woman vs some man they knew, I have no doubt they would support the perpetrator and blame the victim. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

It all very much reminds me of that old article "The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion - When the Anti-Choice Choose". Well worth googling if you can bear exposing yourself to the mental gymnastics. 

• Upvote 11

• 4 weeks later...

So, a Morton wedding is coming up this weekend (John and Campbell Roberts).

I just posted this in the Bates thread, but I wonder which Bates will go to the wedding since it's also John David Duggar and Abbie Burnett's wedding the same weekend. I imagine Zach might be a groomsman in JD's, Trace and some of the girls will likely go to Campbell's. Maybe half and half Bates representation at each one?

Also, is there a separate Roberts thread?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, freethemall said:

So, a Morton wedding is coming up this weekend (John and Campbell Roberts).

I just posted this in the Bates thread, but I wonder which Bates will go to the wedding since it's also John David Duggar and Abbie Burnett's wedding the same weekend. I imagine Zach might be a groomsman in JD's, Trace and some of the girls will likely go to Campbell's. Maybe half and half Bates representation at each one?

Also, is there a separate Roberts thread?

I think more Bates kids will attend the Duggar wedding. I think Josie will likely go to Campbell’s wedding because they seem to be friends. I’m wondering if they will be one of the only ones there. The Duggar weddings seem to be a huge reunion for a lot of fundies so I imagine most of the Bates kids want to go. Because more friends will likely be there.

• Upvote 9

On 10/5/2018 at 4:16 PM, albireo said:

I keep going back and forth between screaming internally and being really, really confused. Clearly her family felt it was appropriate to turn Alan in, and AFAIK children's memories of abuse are often fragmented as well. I'm starting to think someone must have caught Alan in the act, as horrifying as that sounds. Addie and the Mortons might not have believed the kid otherwise.  :shakehead:

I've always believed that, given how the Mortons reacted. It seems so unlikely they would have reacted so strongly from just a child saying something. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Awfully quiet for a Morton wedding day. I want pics, dammit!

Me too! I understand the Duggars and adjacents not posting pictures of JD’s wedding since they were waiting for the magazine exclusive, but I really thought the Mortons and Roberts would be posting stuff all day...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

The Bates ladies have some pictures. Carlin and Alyssa went. Dress is gorgeous.  The wedding was outside. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

So... Martha posted a picture of Isabella Grace (Kressant and Mike's daughter) doing a dance in typical Paraguayan attire, there's a lot of kids and the setting seemed like a school, so since I live close (in Argentina) I asked my Paraguayan coworkers about this and they confirmed that's a Paraguayan patriotic school dance. I did a little more digging and homeschooling is only legal under special circumstances in Paraguay, according to my coworkers that is health issues mostly, I found this info (it's in Spanish, sorry) but pretty much sums it up https://www.google.com.ar/amp/s/mentalista8.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/44/amp/ it's from 2013 but the education law in Paraguay hasn't been changed since the 90's.

So the little Mortons in Paraguay are in public school. (Or at least I'm 98% sure)

Edited by HermioneSparrow
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 7

@HermioneSparrow, thank you for digging this out! 

I'm really surprised that the Morton kids are in school. At least a few of them that get a decent education since at least the Morton homeschool level never seemed to be that high. 

Still, I would have guessed that not being able to homeschool would be a deal breaker for the Morton clan.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Homeschooling is legal in Paraguay. See Section II

https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2008/108535.htm

I read it and read the General Law of Education of Paraguay that you can find here: http://www.pol.una.py/sites/default/files/files/reglamentos/Ley1264GeneralDeEducacion.pdf

Title III, Chapter II, Article 28:  "Only in exceptional cases, the access to formal education won't be demanded after the evaluation of a jury.

Section III. Article 32: The basic elementary education comprehends nine grades and it's obligatory.

Chapter V. Distance Education (which refers to homeschooling)

Article 59: It will be granted access to this education to students that because of working, geographical, physical or age conditions can't assist to institutions of formal education. The ministry of culture and education will provide technological tools for online schooling. 

Article 60: The government will provide and regulate the curriculum for distance education.

The only thing that refers to cult/religious education is for Ministers in Chapter VII, Article 88; and even in this one it says it will be regulated by the government.

Take it as you will but I know for a fact that here in Latin America is very very hard to get permission for homeschooling if it isn't for health reasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Someone better have a talk with Kressant then because she has shared many homeschooling pics on IG. 

I sincerely doubt the Morton clan would make a plan to move to another country that did not allow homeschooling. 

But, whatever. It's no skin of my nose what anyone does or doesn't do in Paraguay. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Someone better have a talk with Kressant then because she has shared many homeschooling pics on IG. 

I sincerely doubt the Morton clan would make a plan to move to another country that did not allow homeschooling. 

But, whatever. It's no skin of my nose what anyone does or doesn't do in Paraguay. 

I wouldn't know since her account is pretty locked up. It's not like they will go to jail if they do homeschool, at least not in South America where everyone does whatever they want.

What's puzzling to me is the dance, even at first sight I recognized it and all these people I asked did as well. It was just a curious observation :)

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thank You 1

Kressant has a public Pinterest and she has a school ideas board. She also just accepted my ig request and she has posted homeschool stuff (she posted one in February this year). I think maybe Isa is just in dance class and that’s it

159217B6-D7F2-407E-A21C-9ACE19391A02.jpeg

D0862D8C-62C9-40DD-A169-3AAEB34164D4.thumb.jpeg.41a6961c17b34b86460e6d30659127e7.jpeg

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Kressant has a public Pinterest and she has a school ideas board. She also just accepted my ig request and she has posted homeschool stuff (she posted one in February this year). I think maybe Isa is just in dance class and that’s it

Her IG is public now, FYI... I just logged out to confirm it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

2 minutes ago, albireo said:

Her IG is public now, FYI... I just logged out to confirm it.

You’re right I just noticed that!

anyway, this is the post I was talking about

Spoiler

72D7FEED-FCB6-4EDF-8848-6E6249964615.thumb.jpeg.162b55456956147704b15511cbb9673f.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Interesting that she made it public now. Maybe sending a message to Cap'n and J? I mean, he's obviously been sending them messages, too? She calls Ma Morton "Mom" throughout her page. 

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic