IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Ali said:

ADHD is underdiagnosed in girls. It shows up a little differently in girls. Girls tend to be better at hiding learning disabilities by trying to avoid drawing attention to themselves.

This happens a lot with girls and ASD diagnosis too.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I come from Southern heritage where large portions were the norm. Not everyone, or even most of the people in my family, was fat. I just don't think it's as much of a factor as some of you do. I think obesity standards are overly rigid and based on Caucasians only. I managed to practically starve myself into "normal" weight and it was unsustainable. My health was better with a bit more weight on me. As with everything, people and bodies are different. 

Absolutely.I also come from Southern heritage.I have struggled with my weight since I was 12,and still now,at 57.I'm nearly 5'5,when I was 18,I went from 140 to 128.I had people telling me that I was "fat" and needed to lose weight.I don't and never will have a small frame,nor will I ever be naturally slender.I had a co worker tell me she admired my body type,and that I "carried my weight well"...I did not understand what she meant,at the time.Around 30,I lost a massive amount of weight,in a few years,I went up to 192,then lost down to 120,then even down to 115.When I got to this weight,my collar bone stuck out,my ribs were more prominent and my dark circles...due to hereditary,allergies or God know what were darker.I didn't look healthy at this weight.

I have hypothyroidism and have never been overweight. I had the misconception that it made you overweight so I never considered it despite other symptoms. (I was diagnosed when I was admitted to the hospital for other reasons and they noticed it in my blood work.) When I've talked about it some people just don't believe me and insist I must be mistaken and really have hyperthyroidism instead. It turns out though that according to research hypothyroidism usually really only accounts for an extra 10-15 lbs. 

Edit: I overestimated. According to the American Thyroid Association it's actually just 5-10 lbs.

Most of the extra weight gained in hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation of salt and water. Massive weight gain is rarely associated with hypothyroidism. In general, 5-10 pounds of body weight may be attributable to the thyroid, depending on the severity of the hypothyroidism.

The American Thyroid Association guidelines also put a reasonable TSH at 4.5, which can be considered high for most people and they advocate for treatment using L-thyroxine (levothyroxine or Synthroid) over NDT. Those with properly treated thyroid can even be slightly hyper by 0.5 and still be healthy but the second you go outside the designated lab values doctors freak out and drop the medicine dosage to create a hypo situation even when patients report finally feeling better. They also don't acknowledge adrenal fatigue and cortisol dysfunction as co-mobid with thyroid disease. 

"The concept of adrenal fatigue is controversial, however. Many conventional physicians and endocrinologists do not acknowledge adrenal dysfunction unless it is extreme, such as a complete lack of adrenal function in Addison's disease, or the excessive production of adrenal hormone seen in Cushing's disease."  Doctors test serum cortisol levels that can often be inaccurate but often are reluctant to order the 24 hour saliva test which shows the exact areas where adrenal fatigue should be treated.

The evidence isn't in the studies paid for by big pharma, but in the testimonials from thousands of people who lost 40-100 lbs after their thyroid and adrenals were correctly balanced. 

50 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I have hypothyroidism and have never been overweight. I had the misconception that it made you overweight so I never considered it despite other symptoms. (I was diagnosed when I was admitted to the hospital for other reasons and they noticed it in my blood work.) When I've talked about it some people just don't believe me and insist I must be mistaken and really have hyperthyroidism instead. It turns out though that according to research hypothyroidism usually really only accounts for an extra 10-15 lbs. 

Edit: I overestimated. According to the American Thyroid Association it's actually just 5-10 lbs.

Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation out there, specifically from bodies like the ATA.  Some folks with hypothyroidism may not indeed gain any weight, but others can gain ferocious amounts. I gained 30 lbs. However, I know others who gained over a 100lbs.  I lost it, but only when i was  put on T3 only, which organisations like the ATA say thyroid patients generally don't need.

Ah... regarding adrenal fatigue, I tend to trust the medical professionals who overwhelmingly agree that adrenal fatigue isn't a real diagnosis due to the lack of scientific evidence for it. Of course medical science can be wrong, but right now the evidence is very strongly against it. That doesn't mean, though, that the symptoms people label as adrenal fatigue aren't real, though they're so vague they could be a number of different issues.

One thing I find bizarre about alternative medicine is how they'll tell people not to trust conventional medicine and "big pharma" because those industries are supposedly only out to make money, but then alternative medicine advocates will try to sell you their own stuff which, unlike actual medicine, often has no real evidence backing it up. They also seem to like to create diseases and then sell you cures for it, which is something they also criticize (sometimes fairly) mainstream medicine for doing.

I have a huge problem with pseudoscience and alternative medicine and could go on for a long time about it, but I think it's probably wisest if I bow out of the conversation now.:pb_lol:

I'm on thyroid mediciation but I confess on always getting overactive/under active and hyper/hypo confused. If your THC is high,  isn't it backwards and your considered underactive?

It is weird! The TSH is your thyroid stimulating hormone. If it's high, it means your thyroid isn't producing enough on its own and is signaling the brain for backup. 

And medical professionals differ. 6 months ago I was being seen at a big name teaching hospital who didn't even know what NDT was because it wasn't taught. Now that my doc graduated without notifying me and not wanting to have to fight a 3rd time to keep my NDT with yet another new resident, I changed doctors. Not an alt-med practitioner either. Licensed endocrinology group practice affiliated with a major medical center. Not only did the new doc double my NDT (the other doc refused, my TSH was fine at 2.8 she said) but they are treating my iron deficiency and adrenals as well. Big shocker my cortisol is high and controlling it is allowing me to lose weight after 10 years of being obese.

Medical professionals are fine, well, and good until they aren't willing to learn beyond the norm. When you can bring a medical professional 100 pages of current, data based research and they shrug it off because "well that's not how 'I' do it" there's a problem. For one article saying there is no thyroid-adrenal correlation, I can find 20 that say there is one. There is up and coming research in this area, and mainly because patients are fighting for better care.

8 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm on thyroid mediciation but I confess on always getting overactive/under active and hyper/hypo confused. If your THC is high,  isn't it backwards and your considered underactive?

Yes, except it's TSH. If your THC is high that's something very different. :pb_razz:

I’ve been on citalopram on and off for about 10 years now. I can say that when I was off it, I was very much skinny, usually either packing holes or in bed unable to rise. With meds, I’m borderline when it comes to BMI. The part of me that is anorexic has a panic attack whenever I see a mirror but I work through it. Mr furbabies to be certainly doesn’t mind 

Jill and Derick went to a Christmas party. Look how totally in love they are!!!

More posts:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Did Derick get braces again, or am I seeing things?

11 hours ago, lomo6 said:

There are obviously myriad reasons that our collective waistlines have expanded rapidly in recent decades, and I agree that portion sizes are a major factor, and something that distinguishes North America from Europe (although many European countries are experiencing increases in obesity as well). 

I recently inherited slightly nicer dishes from an elderly relative. They were probably purchased in the 60s. The dinner plates are about 10-15% smaller than the cheap ones I bought from Target a few years ago, and the bowls, salad/dessert plates, cups, and drinking glasses are basically half the size. The first time I ate pasta out of one of those bowls, I had to go for two full servings to eat what I consider a "satisfying" amount. With the Target bowls, I felt like I was just having one helping when eating the same amount.

I think other factors include suburbanization and increased car-dependency, as well as decreased "natural" activity levels, even for office workers (when was the last time you had to carry a heavy stack of files across the office?). 

Finally, I think there's been a growing reliance on convenience foods as more and more families have single parents or two parents working 50-60 hours/week. 

I agree with most of this but there are many factors why weight is getting out of hand. We have more convenience foods than ever before. With those convenience foods comes all the additives in them, most not good for us. Another thing is inactivity, and this I am an expert on. I spent years sitting stagnant at a computer for NASA until I became a diabetic. Most of that is my fault, working all day, then coming home to try to make an edible dinner while trying to keep a house running with a family, YIKES. No time for any exercise then do it all over the next day.  I have been a walker for many years now and while it keeps me mobile, flexible and basically in an admirable state, it does not keep me skinny, dammit. Me and the spouse are always trying to keep in shape as I NEVER want to be one of the extra large people on the rolling carts shopping. Also the mister is in dang good shape, lucky me.

All being said, weight control is an ever ongoing struggle. Not many people can sit and eat everything they want and remain in shape.  I used to be envious of friends that did that but then I started thinking that I don't know if they go home and upchuck, ya don't know what ya don't know.

Anyone else think Derek looks super awkward in the kissy picture/ just doesn't look into it at all. I mean I doubt my husband would be thrilled to take a kissing picture to post on Instagram either lol but still the hands in the pockets while Jill is clinging to him comes off very one sided.

4 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Anyone else think Derek looks super awkward in the kissy picture/ just doesn't look into it at all. I mean I doubt my husband would be thrilled to take a kissing picture to post on Instagram either lol but still the hands in the pockets while Jill is clinging to him comes off very one sided.

I came to this thread to say that, but got distracted. :) She is into it, but his body language is off.

1 hour ago, sansan said:

I NEVER want to be one of the extra large people on the rolling carts shopping.

I am one of the non-large people on the rolling carts while shopping.  It's embarrassing, regardless of the reason one is on it.  I have no pride anymore, but it was initially humiliating to be "that person."  Now, it is just part of the drill.

I am sure the extra large people are also humiliated in their particular situation.

First on the obesity topic. Not everyone who adds to the percentage of obese people are able to do anything about it. A few years ago I needed surgery and the pre-op paperwork said I was obese. I had a GP appointment after that and before surgery. I asked him for some help to drop the pounds, maybe I had a thyroid issue or something. He almost choked when I told him what I wanted to get down to and asked why. I explained why. He did my body fat percentage and then showed me that the only way I could hit the weight to not be listed as obese was to get rid of some bones and vital organs. Now I am not saying there isn’t a problem with weight in the world but I do wonder how many people fall into the same boat I do. I also want to scream when people bitch because their diabetes is out of control but they don’t exercise and eat crap. Put a little effort into your health. 

Re kissing photo Dwreck couldn’t be more checked out. 

Derrick does look very nonchalant in the kissing photo.   Have to say his looks have improved from  his dirty jesus fake missionary days,  appears healthier.  Long hair & man bun did not suite him.  

Regarding weight: 

I have an American weight and my European weight. American weight is 15lbs above European weight. 

But it's super easy why: 

* In America, I barely ever walk more than a mile a day, most often less than a half mile

* I don't bike, I take the car 

* buildings aren't as tall and always have elevators/escalators, so no stairs 

* there are fewer nightclubs, dance clubs, sport clubs, generally places to go and be active because this is a rural area, as much more of America is (compared to Europe) 

* everything is service/delivery, from food to movies to gas station, so I go out less/do less 

* Portions are way bigger 

* food is way more processed, and you can't get full from food your body doesn't recognize. Everything is salted, sugared, added, rehydrated, hydrogenated, skimmed, and shoot me dead. 

* there is lots of snacking, desert eating, candy eating, on the side eating, and just funny meal times (or none at all) 

* everything has to have a sauce/dressing/ketchup and other artificial flavorings 

* I rarely eat fruits and vegetables in America, they are more expensive than other foods and harder to come buy (no fruit/vegetable stores on every high street etc), and the only fruits/vegetables that are often available are either high fat/sugar (avocados, bananas) or dipped/fried/cooked in something 

So between all of that, that makes 15 pounds :))) 
But honestly, I enjoy the cultures for what they are. No point denying all pleasures. I'm just sure to lose the weight again whenever I return to Europe. 

On the subject of weight and food: It is disappointing how many people still think being overweight is as simple as a lack of self control. Genetics and underlying conditions are major factors. I wasted years of my life trying to starve my body into a shape it is not capable of assuming. The narrative of “it’s all about portion control” was a lie that helped fuel that self destructive fire. I tried to control my portions down to nothing. Now, fully recovered, I’m about 10lbs “overwight.” By which I mean that I weigh about 10lbs more than whoever it was who made up these dumb charts says I should weigh for my height and age. I say dumb because I eat healthfully, I’ve been vegetarian for about ten years, and I’m running a 10k next week. I’m not an elite athlete but I’m I’m healthier than I ever was at 120lbs. Now, on the other hand, I’m still careful about what I eat. I do not eat a Standard American Diet and the plates I own are “luncheon” sized because the dinner plates were fucking massive. I eat what I want really, but I spent a lot of time teaching my body to want kale and seaweed. I genuinely fucking love and crave both now. But a handful of marshmallows in my hot chocolate around Christmas isn’t going to kill me. Also beer. I really love beer all year long.

There is a lot of emotional baggage tied to food and weight issues, but I think the best strategy is body positivity and keeping a diverse diet. Eat all the vegetables and treat your body like the miracle it is, no matter what it looks like, and fuck off to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. Fat is not failure. Your body is still a masterpiece.

Now. On the subject of that tepid kiss: Barf. It could not be more plain who instigated that photo op. Gotta prove how hetero and in love we are to everyone lest they forget! So straight. So physically attracted to each other in a totally normal sexual way. 

Yeeeah that pic is just off. The awkwardness of Derick's hands in his pockets struck me first and then the star in the background. The Pagan in me chuckled a bit and if I was any good with PhotoShop I'd be tempted to invert it and send the pic back to them!

20171211_005600.png

And in doing just that zoom in, either the guy has some major hickeys or some major medical issues going on to have bruises like this...sorry about the size!!

20171211_010216.png

EW. How do D-Wreck/Jill PDA posts ALWAYS manage to be so cringe-worthy?? :my_confused: 

All I can think of when I see that is: "Jill...how can you be hot for someone who spends all his free time bullying LGBT people - who affect your daily life exactly 0% - on the internet...? HoWwW??????"

D-Wreck could not possibly look less into her. Not into Jill, not into his kids (besides "training" them like they're ill-mannered shih tzus)...what exactly gets D-Wreck up in the morning? Oh yeah. Hatred and pretentiousness. :pb_rollseyes:

Gah.  Derick. Your kissing under the mistletoe post is driving me bonkers grammatically. "Look for as many opportunities ..." needs a second "as".  "Look for as many opportunities AS POSSIBLE" or whatever. 

Re weight - Canadian here.  For whatever reason, our North American lifestyle has crept farther and farther down an unhealthy path with most of us not particularly noticing.  It all feels just normal now.

Those who have the opportunity to live in other cultures have something to compare it with.  As other posters have said, the lifestyle in Europe, for eg.,  seems to make it easier to maintain a healthy weight - more walking, less junk food, and  different portion sizes. I have never seen an entire aisle of a supermarket devoted to chips in Paris.

I realize that weight is a complex issue, but our North American diet is doing us no favours. 

My current BMI is 35 and that is too much according both to my own convenience and doctors all around. Still, there are a lot of people who believe that a lot of inaccurate things about heavier people that are hurtful, infuriating and annoying. I don't eat food left and right. I do everyday exercise but sadly not too much of the heavier type. I eat mostly OK food and I care about eating vegetables and things that are good for you and do so most of the time. Also, most women in my family are short but with broad shoulders and a generally heavy upper body. My mom had some eating disorder related issues and the doctors told her to not go lower than a weight that is over BMI 25. They took the time to take her whole body into consideration when trying to find a healthy weight for her and that was where they landed. I personally felt the most healthy and happy when I had a BMI between 25 and 27. Lower than that I have to diet to stay that weight and any higher I feel heavy and not as mobile. I hope to be able to reach closes to that level eventually through exercising more but my body is very much "down fast, up fast" so I will take a couple of years to do so and only if it is possible without living a horrible life. If I need to eat like a bird to lose weight I will rather be fit and fat.

The I can't over how clingy Jill and derick always are because of the way they kiss and act like they are the first to adopt the culture.

and I am swimming every day ....

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived