IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin: Skinny for Jesus

nausicaa

5 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

Oh man that would be an interesting conversation to listen to. Michelle Duggar and Gwen 

It would start out as an argument over debt and escalate into a whisper screaming match over whose hairstyle was more Godly

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Gwen announce her engagement? Do you think she will have a big wedding? I watched a recent YOU CAN OVERCOME and her engagement ring is huge. I have no problem with big engagement rings... it just fascinates me what her definition of greed. If you eat too much you are being greedy, but if you have a huge engagement ring or drive a really expensive car you are not being greedy. Maybe I am off base in my thinking. I have no problem with nice things but when you preach a message of giving of yourself and laying down everything to God that you would love a lavish lifestyle

1 hour ago, Mrsquigs said:

it just fascinates me what her definition of greed. If you eat too much you are being greedy, but if you have a huge engagement ring or drive a really expensive car you are not being greedy.

I've been sitting here wondering the exact same thing for the past several pages.

Greed applies only to food and nothing else in Gwen's world?

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

I've been sitting here wondering the exact same thing for the past several pages.

Greed applies only to food and nothing else in Gwen's world?

That reminds me of the fundies who preach modesty but only in clothing—and don’t notice the immodesty of bragging and self-promotion.

I’m starting to think maybe Gwen will keep the wedding quiet. Hmm. It’s hard to say. I can see her doing it both ways. I can see a very quiet wedding where she acts like they’ve been married all along. Or I can see a big flashy wedding because it’s Gwen Fucking Shamblin. 

7 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

This video is typical Geraldo, but check out Gwen.  She is slim, but not the scary, scary anorexic skinny she is now.  She looks so much more normal.  Also not wearing the super big big hair yet.

Speaking of her hair, a member once told me at a speaking event where Gwen was going to be, she (who hadn’t joined th church yet) was sitting by Gwen’s mother who said to her something like, “You’ll have to forgive my daughter’s hair — she’s artsy”. Kind of like a mom describing her teenager’s rainbow hair. I always thought that was funny!

Speaking of, RFSurvivor, or someone else, what IS the deal with her hair? Is it all her actual hair? (I have worn a lot of extensions and I notice that when Gwen’s hair is worn straight, the ends in the back are very blunt as fake hair tends to be when you dont cut/layer it properly.) Is it a wig? Does someone come in and do her hair? Does she do it herself? Same with makeup — does someone do it for her or is that by her own hand?

I have been involved with Weigh Down since 2015 when I lost weight.  From experience I can tell you that it is very easy to fall under the influence of the program and the participants.  There is so much love shown - love bombs via text, comments on social media - it really gets to you.  I was even considering joining the church but something always held me back (thank God, literally!).  Something is definitely off.  I feel sorry for the people who have joined the church - they are blinded to the truth that it is a cult and that they worship Gwen, not God.  They would never admit that but it's obvious.  This thread is so helpful to me because I was duped and did lose my sanity for a bit while I struggled with guilt, shame, hatred of myself...all because of going through this program.  It (they) make you believe that you can't live without them, you can't lose weight without them...so even though you feel like something is off, you still gravitate towards it because you want to be thin and pretty.  It's the strangest thing.  I can't count how many times I quit and rejoined because I was brain washed to think that nothing else would work...if I could only get it together, than I could be like one of the "beautiful people" who have it all together.  Ridiculous really. My eyes were truly opened this past month when I found a few other web pages on the internet which confirmed what I have felt all along.  I'm slowly coming out of the control this program had over me.  Thank God for HIS truth through HIS word, not anyone else's.  

The other thing they do to play with your mind is to say that if you are considering leaving the program, etc. that you are believing Satan's lies.  Does that ever mess with you, especially if you are a Christian.  Because what if they are right?  I've come to realize they are NOT right.  This show explains their philosophy about quitting perfectly:

I was actually in the class they talk about and "left"...lol!!  Only one person reached out to me, once.  Such a lie.

Welcome @Truth sets you free

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I'm sorry you are going through a tough time.  Members here are very supportive and there is usually always someone around willing to lend an ear.   I hope you stick around and join in with the community here.   We might fight on occasion, but we are really a family :)

3 hours ago, Truth sets you free said:

I have been involved with Weigh Down since 2015 when I lost weight.  From experience I can tell you that it is very easy to fall under the influence of the program and the participants.  There is so much love shown - love bombs via text, comments on social media - it really gets to you.  I was even considering joining the church but something always held me back (thank God, literally!).  Something is definitely off. 

I am so right there with you! This is almost my entire experience in a nutshell. It was a real mind-f***. And while I typically consider myself sane and a good judge of character, associating with these people really messed with my head. That's why I want the TRUTH about this place to come out. It's all one big facade.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Elizabeth looks like Kate McKinnon. If Kate was underweight.

And what of Elizabeth?

Footage and photos of her from years ago show a vibrant, happy, vivacious normal-looking girl. Now she looks painfully thin, unwell, stoic. So frail with flat affect.

11 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Footage and photos of her from years ago show a vibrant, happy, vivacious normal-looking girl. Now she looks painfully thin, frail, unwell, stoic. So frail with flat affect.

I agree. She used to actually smile and show teeth. The smiles would reach her eyes. Now her mouth barely moves to smile and her eyes look dead and cold. It’s possible a side effect from lack of adequate nutrition. If you aren’t eating enough, you will have very little energy and you affect can become flat. 

It is tempting because they STAGE a LAVISH lifestyle where  all beautiful, skinny, dressed to the nines, wealthy, “have it all together”, throw huge, FANCY, extravagant parties frequently, and act like it’s such a strong community to be a part of. Who wouldn't want to go to find out more? 

I have noticed many of the women do have jobs themselves.

There is a dental practice run by Remnant people and every single dentist, dental hygentist, and office manager is a remnant member.

I think Gwen’s goal is to turn all of Brentwood into a remnant regime run by her. Remnant members create businesses together and only hire each other and do business with each other. Brandon Hannah’s real estate website has a section of “partners” where he recommends you visit the other businesses of his “partners” AKA remnant members.

Gwen is vain, snotty, narcissistic, and is obsessed with appearances and I think if you do not meet her requirements e.g. thin, coiffed & manicured, certain type of job/career, “well-behaved kids” —-then she doesn’t want you to make the church “look bad” and knows you won’t be able to pay $$$ much in tithes. 

Gwen and her husband donated Weighdown to the church and claims to take no salary. So either she gets money from her books or the church pays for everything. 

And now she is doing financial teachings-Greed Exposure-a scriptural approach to financial freedom. Trying to be a Dave Ramsey. 

"God expects TRUE CHRISTIANS to stop trying to change the world and put ALL efforts into radically changing self."-Gwen Shambling-History of the Love of God book. This is exactly whats wrong with the world. Self centered buttheads who care about no one else. 

I found this talk on youtube, I’m only half way through.  I don’t know how arcuate it is, but I found it informative.  Apparently she uses the Matrix movies in her ministry and all members are required to have a copy.  We are all in the matrix and Gwenny is the red pill that will make you wake up to the truth. I’ll stay in the matrix thank you very much. 

ETA: they talk about hitting kids with glue sticks.  I need a hug, and I don’t think I'm going to by 12 inch glue sticks ever again. :cry:

3 hours ago, sajetime said:

I am so right there with you! This is almost my entire experience in a nutshell. It was a real mind-f***. And while I typically consider myself sane and a good judge of character, associating with these people really messed with my head. That's why I want the TRUTH about this place to come out. It's all one big facade.

And what of Elizabeth?

Footage and photos of her from years ago show a vibrant, happy, vivacious normal-looking girl. Now she looks painfully thin, unwell, stoic. So frail with flat affect.

Elizabeth did have major health issues with some of the later pregnancies and I think that may have had a long term impact on her that is only made worse from the weigh down teachings. 

59 minutes ago, LovelyLuna said:

I found this talk on youtube, I’m only half way through.  I don’t know how arcuate it is, but I found it informative.  Apparently she uses the Matrix movies in her ministry and all members are required to have a copy.  We are all in the matrix and Gwenny is the red pill that will make you wake up to the truth. I’ll stay in the matrix thank you very much. 

ETA: they talk about hitting kids with glue sticks.  I need a hug, and I don’t think I'm going to by 12 inch glue sticks ever again. :cry:

At one point Gwen, Elizabeth and Michael all re-did a scene from the matrix. It was awful and poorly done. But yeah she uses matrix references allllll the time.  

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

It is tempting because they STAGE a LAVISH lifestyle where  all beautiful, skinny, dressed to the nines, wealthy, “have it all together”, throw huge, FANCY, extravagant parties frequently, and act like it’s such a strong community to be a part of. Who wouldn't want to go to find out more? 

I have noticed many of the women do have jobs themselves.

There is a dental practice run by Remnant people and every single dentist, dental hygentist, and office manager is a remnant member.

I think Gwen’s goal is to turn all of Brentwood into a remnant regime run by her. Remnant members create businesses together and only hire each other and do business with each other. Brandon Hannah’s real estate website has a section of “partners” where he recommends you visit the other businesses of his “partners” AKA remnant members.

Gwen is vain, snotty, narcissistic, and is obsessed with appearances and I think if you do not meet her requirements e.g. thin, coiffed & manicured, certain type of job/career, “well-behaved kids” —-then she doesn’t want you to make the church “look bad” and knows you won’t be able to pay $$$ much in tithes. 

There is major guilt and shaming if you go to a non remnant business if there is a remnant owned business available. Like if you don’t use Brandon Hannah for selling your house, don’t use a certain car repair shop that is remnant owned, alllll of them go to that one dentist now (who is married to a leaders daughter-so basically remnant royalty). There’s even a small cafe inside the weigh down building so that you could “fellowship AND support saints” (aka more $$$$$$). Ugh I’m so happy I left that crazy town. 

ETA: at one point some RF members tried to run for local government positions and they all lost pretty bad because the locals were not thrilled with RF trying to be in the city government. 

1 hour ago, SJWaterford said:

God expects TRUE CHRISTIANS to stop trying to change the world and put ALL efforts into radically changing self."-Gwen Shambling-History of the Love of God book. This is exactly whats wrong with the world. Self centered buttheads who care about no one else. 

Totally agree with you. It's this kind of thing that leaves me wondering if the author has ever actually read the Gospels, or any of the rest of the New Testament. Also... youcan do both...

58 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

ETA: at one point some RF members tried to run for local government positions and they all lost pretty bad because the locals were not thrilled with RF trying to be in the city government. 

I would be so creeped out by this group running any candidates for anything. Bizarrely it reminds me a bit of when the Rajneesh cult tried to take over a town in Oregon... if there start being food poisoning outbreaks in that area I would get very suspicious.

The more I read about Gwen and this group, the more I am reminded of Jim Jones.  He's not the only one she/they remind me of, but definitely strongly make me think about Guyana and all the people who died following him.

@RFsurvivor Thank you so much for answering all my questions.

I have a couple more ..... well ........ possibly more than a couple  :)

1.  What on earth is the meaning of the blue sashes Gwen and family are wearing in so many photos? They look silly, like wannabe European aristocrats.

2.  I have an actual physical, visceral reaction to some of the R Royalty from their photos and videos,  Visceral as in they make my skin crawl. Specifically -- Tedd Anger whose smile never reaches his eyes and who looks like a creepy abuser who beats his children; Rob Day who looks like a con man and David Martin who looks like a sexual predator.  I hope I'm just projecting my revulsion at the cult's beliefs, but........... Am I way off base or is there anything to my intuition?

3.  If you can share, what was the final straw that lead you to break with RF? Or was it a series of small things that built up until you couldn't stand it anymore?

4.  Was leaving difficult, not the leaving "friends" part, but the actual leaving?  Did you have to declare your intention to Gwen/ the leaders and get their permission?  Does the cult make you go through steps/ processes/ hoops to leave or can you just stop attending services/events and be done?

Edited to add:  Is Gwen really short, because she always wears these sky-high heels with really tall platforms? 

I hope you do right your book/ article, I can't wait to read it

30 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

@RFsurvivor Thank you so much for answering all my questions.

I have a couple more ..... well ........ possibly more than a couple  :)

1.  What on earth is the meaning of the blue sashes Gwen and family are wearing in so many photos? They look silly, like wannabe European aristocrats.

2.  I have an actual physical, visceral reaction to some of the R Royalty from their photos and videos,  Visceral as in they make my skin crawl. Specifically -- Tedd Anger whose smile never reaches his eyes and who looks like a creepy abuser who beats his children; Rob Day who looks like a con man and David Martin who looks like a sexual predator.  I hope I'm just projecting my revulsion at the cult's beliefs, but........... Am I way off base or is there anything to my intuition?

3.  If you can share, what was the final straw that lead you to break with RF? Or was it a series of small things that built up until you couldn't stand it anymore?

4.  Was leaving difficult, not the leaving "friends" part, but the actual leaving?  Did you have to declare your intention to Gwen/ the leaders and get their permission?  Does the cult make you go through steps/ processes/ hoops to leave or can you just stop attending services/events and be done?

Edited to add:  Is Gwen really short, because she always wears these sky-high heels with really tall platforms? 

I hope you do right your book/ article, I can't wait to read it

1) Gwen would say “dress your best for GOD!” So that’s what she thought was looking best I believe. 

2) Rob Day is for sure a con man. He was the one who brought WFG to remnant. He also had the quickest rise to leadership that I ever saw at remnant. Money talks. Not sure about the others though. 

3) not comfortable sharing this but there were a few distinct situations along with little things. 

4) I tried to slip away but my “friends” could tell I was swaying. Eventually I told my close group of friends (which I would bet money that screenshots of my texts were sent to Gwen or other leaders) that I was leaving and don’t try to convince me otherwise. That didn’t go well and I had to block them because they tried to “lovebomb” me into staying...

Gwen is really short. Like realllly short. 

I hope to be able to write it. Thank you for your questions because it helps me see what people are curious about! Feel free to keep asking, like I did here I may not answer some fully but will do my best. 

Really short like less than 5 ft?  At almost barely 5'2" if I stretch to stand perfectly straight ... I like to think of myself as under tall, but really I'm short. 

Elizabeth looks like a child next to her husband, both because of her weight, but also lack of height.  But then not eating will stunt your growth.

Michael looks tall, but that may merely be in relation to Gwen

26 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Really short like less than 5 ft?  At almost barely 5'2" if I stretch to stand perfectly straight ... I like to think of myself as under tall, but really I'm short. 

Elizabeth looks like a child next to her husband, both because of her weight, but also lack of height.  But then not eating will stunt your growth.

Michael looks tall, but that may merely be in relation to Gwen

Without heels I think about 5’1” ish. Brandon is really tall compared to Elizabeth. That’s not the photos. 

Why does everyone seem to wear white and ecru? When looking at pictures, everyone seems to dress the same. Is that true?

21 minutes ago, Mrsquigs said:

Why does everyone seem to wear white and ecru? When looking at pictures, everyone seems to dress the same. Is that true?

Depends on the event. Most events had a color scheme. Just look st any remnant news or wedding page. They all say the wedding colors and guests were supposed to try to wear in that color spectrum. “Holy days” had specific colors. But if all else failed wear white or black. White for “purity” or black because it always worked unless it was a white colored event like Pentecost. 

ETA: there were even people who wore white to my wedding. Yep. 

2 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

Depends on the event. Most events had a color scheme. Just look st any remnant news or wedding page. They all say the wedding colors and guests were supposed to try to wear in that color spectrum. “Holy days” had specific colors. But if all else failed wear white or black. White for “purity” or black because it always worked unless it was a white colored event like Pentecost. 

ETA: there were even people who wore white to my wedding. Yep. 

I remember watching a You Can Overcome show and after they were going to record members testimonies, and I think that part was on camera by mistake. Gwen acted like an domineering dictator, ordering people around in the lineup by what color they were wearing and she wanted absolutely NO patterns. Her behavior seemed so oddly obsessive.

She reminds me of appearance-obsessed Michelle Pfeiffer as Velma Von Tussle in the Hairspray movie.

D96C486C-8B06-4565-9DAF-4CAC3C4D10C5.jpeg

13 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

"God expects TRUE CHRISTIANS to stop trying to change the world and put ALL efforts into radically changing self."-Gwen Shambling-History of the Love of God book. This is exactly whats wrong with the world. Self centered buttheads who care about no one else. 

And I sit here wondering why my little local Unitarian-Universalist church, which is dedicated to making the world a better place, is struggling to survive, while cults like this attract members by the thousands.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived