IGNORED

Lori Alexander 34: The Woo Is Strong with this One

19 minutes ago, EowynW said:

What's everyone having for dinner tonight? Mine is already cooking in the crockpot before I run off to knit club. Tonight is a request from Mr. EW. He goes gaga for this. 

Chicken breast, with a package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 2 cans of black beans (we drain them), topped with our home canned salsa & the last of the bell & banana peppers from our garden. Serve over corn chips (for Mr) or a bit of brown rice or broccoli for me. 

Trader Joe lasagna (hangs head in shame) and broccoli.  A special request from my daughter, who loves it.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Trader Joe lasagna (hangs head in shame) and broccoli.  A special request from my daughter, who loves it.

I am alive today solely because I ate Stouffer's lasagna in college. Otherwise, I would have withered and died lol. I have learned to cook since then!

25 minutes ago, EowynW said:

What's everyone having for dinner tonight? Mine is already cooking in the crockpot before I run off to knit club. Tonight is a request from Mr. EW. He goes gaga for this. 

Chicken breast, with a package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 2 cans of black beans (we drain them), topped with our home canned salsa & the last of the bell & banana peppers from our garden. Serve over corn chips (for Mr) or a bit of brown rice or broccoli for me. 

That sounds so yummy!  We are having crockpot-cooked pulled pork loin tacos and a salad. (we like to go simple on Friday nights)

We are going out. It has been a looooong week. I’ve had K-2 special ed all week. And Mr 05 had a webinar on shipping hazardous materials for half the week then had to play catch up on his actual work. Plus it is errand running in the city time.

And this is all because I’m an evil feminist who works. But that does not explain why we had spaghetti with homemade sauce the last two nights.

I am going to have to steal that recipe @EowynW.  Sounds so good!

Something easy for us tonight.  Maybe breakfast?  We've eaten out for the last 2 nights (this is exceptionally rare for for us, but it's a birthday week, so we've been eating with family).  Tomorrow we are grilling.  Very excited about that!

I love hearing what everyone is having for dinner :pb_smile:

Pumpkin-carrot-ginger-coconut milk soup is on the woodstove.  The pumpkin was already cooked so it's really only heating & softening the carrots and celery.  Plenty of time, it's not even 9am yet.  Probably will wilt some spinach under it, and I think I'll try making Mary Maxwell's butt-crack rolls to go with... 

ETA:  just checked Mary's recipe, too complicated, will use a simpler one!

I've been so busy that I haven't been able to go shopping or meal prep. It's all part of being an evil graduate student, worker, single, and a feminist. But anyways, I'm thinking of buying some stuff to make loaded potato soup in the crockpot for the first time ever. Anyone got any recipes they just love for potato soup? But for tonight I think it's going to be turkey burgers, baked sweet potato and maybe some green beans. 

Italian sausage with sauteed eggplant, peppers, onions and herbs over rigatoni  with a salad!!!! of lettuce, cucumbers and grape tomatoes.  The salad will probably take 3-5 min tops to make.

I am a feminist and a godless evil working woman who is working today , as I am every M-F. But I still manage to make nourishing dinners and keep the house clean.  

Tell me, o wise godly older Lori, how am I able to do that?

35 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Pumpkin-carrot-ginger-coconut milk soup is on the woodstove.  The pumpkin was already cooked so it's really only heating & softening the carrots and celery.  Plenty of time, it's not even 9am yet.  Probably will wilt some spinach under it, and I think I'll try making Mary Maxwell's butt-crack rolls to go with... 

ETA:  just checked Mary's recipe, too complicated, will use a simpler one!

I'm intrigued, I've never heard of pumpkin soup but have been getting into using squashes more. Would you mind posting the recipe? I'd like to check it out. 

5 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Italian sausage with sauteed eggplant, peppers, onions and herbs over rigatoni  with a salad!!!!

That sounds so good.  I get my lettuce from a specialty shop called Wal-mart...they actually get it from a garden of all places.  Have you ever heard of anything like that? :pb_lol:

Really though, that does sound fabulous!  I am going to have to try it.  We love eggplant.  One of the places we ate out this week serves eggplant, spinach, and Alfredo pizza.  It's amazing.

Fridays are usually a 'fun' night. Tonight we are having brats and fries. Tomorrow's supper is better- orzo with feta and roasted veggies. Asparagus was pretty cheap at Aldi's this week (yay!)

12 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Italian sausage with sauteed eggplant, peppers, onions and herbs over rigatoni  with a salad!!!! of lettuce, cucumbers and grape tomatoes.  The salad will probably take 3-5 min tops to make.

I am a feminist and a godless evil working woman who is working today , as I am every M-F. But I still manage to make nourishing dinners and keep the house clean.  

Tell me, o wise godly older Lori, how am I able to do that?

Lori would respond:  You're lying. She can't let any of her lemmings know that it is possible to work and still maintain a house, cook, raise children, have free time, etc.  

I do NOT enjoy cooking, never have.  I can cook, and I am good at it but my husband, thankfully, loves to cook and so does m daughter.  What would Lori have to say about me?

Just now, CelticGoddess said:

Lori would respond:  You're lying. She can't let any of her lemmings know that it is possible to work and still maintain a house, cook, raise children, have free time, etc.  

I do NOT enjoy cooking, never have.  I can cook, and I am good at it but my husband, thankfully, loves to cook and so does m daughter.  What would Lori have to say about me?

The fact that you even post on FJ means that you hate God and His ways. Hope that helps!

2 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

I'm intrigued, I've never heard of pumpkin soup but have been getting into using squashes more. Would you mind posting the recipe? I'd like to check it out. 

I'm not really using a recipe.  I had about 3 cups of pureed pumpkin, and a dozenish carrots cut into inchish chunks.  I added 3-4 stalks of celery cut similarly, several cups of veggie broth, one can of coconut milk, and about a cubic inch of ginger, grated.  I might or might not use the stick blender to puree it after it's cooked.  Also might serve with some yogurt or sour cream.  I'm not good on savory herbs but I'm sure a few would go well.

Here are some basic pumpkin/squash soup recipes, and also a carrot ginger soup recipe.  I guess I combined them -- since it's all orange it should go well, right?  :my_tongue:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9191/pumpkin-soup/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/77981/butternut-squash-soup-ii/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ginger-carrot-soup-recipe-1915535

13 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I'm not really using a recipe.  I had about 3 cups of pureed pumpkin, and a dozenish carrots cut into inchish chunks.  I added 3-4 stalks of celery cut similarly, several cups of veggie broth, one can of coconut milk, and about a cubic inch of ginger, grated.  I might or might not use the stick blender to puree it after it's cooked.  Also might serve with some yogurt or sour cream.  I'm not good on savory herbs but I'm sure a few would go well.

Here are some basic pumpkin/squash soup recipes, and also a carrot ginger soup recipe.  I guess I combined them -- since it's all orange it should go well, right?  :my_tongue:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9191/pumpkin-soup/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/77981/butternut-squash-soup-ii/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ginger-carrot-soup-recipe-1915535

The sounds about how I cook lol, a little of this and that. But thanks so much! If I'm feeling adventurous, I might have to try this and make a small batch. 

And all these dinners are making me hungry haha. Even to a picky eater such as myself they sound good. 

I haven't tried pumpkin soup but I loooooveee squash soup with our garden fresh squash. 

Dear Lori, lettuce and greens are easily grown in containers. Can't get much more organic than your own backyard 

11 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I haven't tried pumpkin soup but I loooooveee squash soup with our garden fresh squash. 

Dear Lori, lettuce and greens are easily grown in containers. Can't get much more organic than your own backyard 

Did you know that canned pumpkin is usually actually butternut squash?  At least that's what I heard.   I'm using an actual pumpkin I bought at my local farmer's market.  I believe the variety is Cinderella.  

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Cinderella_Pumpkins_2216.php

It made great pie!  I still have one chunk  of the pumpkin left, perhaps just enough for another pie, but I sure don't need more pie, so I'll probably either roast it in chunks with other veggies, or toss it in another soup in a few days.

This thread is making me hungry! 

It will be just me and my youngest 2 kids for supper so I'm fixing mac & cheese and a small salad. The homemade kind of mac & cheese made with a white sauce and then baked. I top it with buttered bread crumbs and crumbled bacon. Delicious, fattening, comfort food. The small salad will consist of romaine lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper and some croutons. It will take less than 5 minutes to chop & toss. I don't use dressing but the kids will pour on the Kroger ranch.

I'm dragging out Christmas decorations today and the tree will go up this weekend.

56 minutes ago, Koala said:

We love eggplant. 

So do we!  I've found that if you cut it up and then soak in salt water for 30 min before cooking (pat dry) it really does take out the bitterness and somehow seems to absorb less oil if you are frying/sauteing.

My lettuce comes from the City Market here. A little specialty "shop" that's been around since 1927. It is full of truck farmers who grow the stuff in actual gardens! (imagine) and then sell tons of fresh in season produce Mon - Sat at cheap prices.

But since it's only about 3 miles from us, and not 40 like Lori's organic farm and the fact Mr Dress does the food shopping, it's probably not as godly or nutriciousfreerangeorganichealthy as hers.

For those making pumpkin and/or butternut squash soup, I like to toast some chopped pecan to garnish it with.  (sometimes I like a little crunch in mine) - it tends to go well with the squash flavor, imho.

39 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Did you know that canned pumpkin is usually actually butternut squash?  At least that's what I heard.   I'm using an actual pumpkin I bought at my local farmer's market.  I believe the variety is Cinderella.  

See, I heard that they use actual pumpkin, usually crookneck. Or maybe the farmstand just told me that to sell their crooknecks. :my_biggrin:

Dinner tonight is leftovers, alas, individual balsamic meatloaves. Making a fresh salad to go with, though; last night they were accompanied by sauteed zucchini. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Her book plug yesterday got her 6 new reviews, 4 of which are positive. She is back to 3 stars now. 

Just came back from Amazon, posting my replies to some of the reviews. I wonder if any FJers can pick out which ones...:whistle: :angelic-halofell: Lori would hate me in real life. 1. I wouldn't put up with her BS. 2. I am Catholic

@jerkit 90 minute yoga .. sounds like hot yoga. I love hot yoga after not being a fan of regular yoga

As for food, I need to throw something in the crockpot tomorrow morning so after my daughter's robotics competition <gasp> we can have dinner.

@Frog99 that "about the author" post is a new version with all the poor me BS in it.

I'm fixing something my mom and grandma used to make a lot. I'm cooking a pot of green beans, ham, and potatoes. Very basic, only requires some salt and pepper for seasoning (and a spoon of sugar for some reason, my mother tells me), but it's oh, so good. Takes me back to my childhood it does.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived