IGNORED

Lori Alexander 34: The Woo Is Strong with this One

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jerkit said:

@quiversR4hunting - It is, but usually classes are 60 minutes. This is a special event. 

The place I go has 80 minutes for all hot yoga classes. It is intense! I stink and sweating like a pig when I get out of there. I always think I should loose at least 1lb when I go! :D

Just now, quiversR4hunting said:

The place I go has 80 minutes for all hot yoga classes. It is intense! I stink and sweating like a pig when I get out of there. I always think I should loose at least 1lb when I go! :D

Same! But I love it. Sometimes I do two classes in one day. I just signed up for a retreat in March and I'm super excited about it!

19 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

See, I heard that they use actual pumpkin, usually crookneck. Or maybe the farmstand just told me that to sell their crooknecks. :my_biggrin:

I think we're both right!  I only knew crookneck as a summer squash, had never heard of crookneck pumpkin, so I googled it.  I'm still not 100% sure but it looks like it's more or less the same as butternut, or one might be a variety of the other.

Crockpot minestrone with leftover thanksgiving ham and homemade bread. Probably a salad with dressing I'll make myself with real garden lettuce.

Everyone else's dinner sounds good, too. Let's have a potluck.

Hardcore squash geek here:

Winter squashes come in two botanical sub-types, pepo and moschata.  Delicatas, pumpkins, acorn, and sphaghetti squashes are all pepos. They are close relatives of summer squashes like zucchini and pattypans, and they are best eaten within a month or two of harvest. They get blander, more watery, and more stringy as winter wears on. Buttercups, Butternuts, Sweetmeats, Hubbards, and Japanese Kuris and Kubochas belong to a different subspecies, moschata. They stay sweet and smooth much longer. In fact they get sweeter with time. I've stored October harvests clear into March.

I nearly always use some kind of moschata for pie because the flavor and texture are so much more reliable. If most canned pumpkin is really something else, that's probably all to the good for our pies.

(This shows why copyediting can be a great gig. You get paid to learn this kind of stuff.)

If I could pick any pie squash, I'd probably go with Sweetmeat or Kubocha.

I think we're trying out an Iranian chicken recipe tonight, with ground walnuts and pomegranate molasses. It sounds exotic and looks easy. I was going to do it yesterday but the grandkids were over, so we had spaghetti and homemade red sauce, what my Sicilian housemate calls red lead. And broccoli.

14 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Hardcore squash geek here:

Winter squashes come in two botanical sub-types, pepo and moschata.  Delicatas, pumpkins, acorn, and sphaghetti squashes are all pepos. They are close relatives of summer squashes like zucchini and pattypans, and they are best eaten within a month or two of harvest. They get blander, more watery, and more stringy as winter wears on. Buttercups, Butternuts, Sweetmeats, Hubbards, and Japanese Kuris and Kubochas belong to a different subspecies, moschata. They stay sweet and smooth much longer. In fact they get sweeter with time. I've stored October harvests clear into March.

I nearly always use some kind of moschata for pie because the flavor and texture are so much more reliable. If most canned pumpkin is really something else, that's probably all to the good for our pies.

(This shows why copyediting can be a great gig. You get paid to learn this kind of stuff.)

If I could pick any pie squash, I'd probably go with Sweetmeat or Kubocha.

I think we're trying out an Iranian chicken recipe tonight, with ground walnuts and pomegranate molasses. It sounds exotic and looks easy. I was going to do it yesterday but the grandkids were over, so we had spaghetti and homemade red sauce, what my Sicilian housemate calls red lead. And broccoli.

I'm writing all of this down for next year's garden. Thank you! 

Fajitas here. It's 8:30pm where I am (UK) so should be soon. Am also planning to make the Christmas cake tonight (using pre-soaked fruits as per the recipe so don't need to marinate them overnight). I made millionaire's shortbread last week, most of which is now in the freezer. I LOVE millionaire's shortbread, it's utterly divine. We had to stick it in the freezer so we weren't tempted by it and so that my brother could have some when he comes home from university in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I made millionaire's shortbread last week, most of which is now in the freezer. I LOVE millionaire's shortbread, it's utterly divine

what is this and what makes it "utterly divine"? Please educate us on the other side of the pond.

Layer of shortbread at the bottom, topped with a layer of caramel, topped with a layer of chocolate. Looks like this: 

caramelshortbread.jpg

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I'm fixing something my mom and grandma used to make a lot. I'm cooking a pot of green beans, ham, and potatoes. Very basic, only requires some salt and pepper for seasoning (and a spoon of sugar for some reason, my mother tells me), but it's oh, so good. Takes me back to my childhood it does.

We always put a spoon of sugar on top of the green beans when canning them.

I think tonight I'm having Japanese takeout. It's been a crazy day at work, and it's just me at home so I'm treating myself.

13 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Layer of shortbread at the bottom, topped with a layer of caramel, topped with a layer of chocolate. Looks like this: 

caramelshortbread.jpg

Admins, may we please have a drooling respond emoji? :drool:

Also, for lunch I'm havng one of my "big salads".  And it is not for the faint-hearted, and most definitely not low-calorie, although I do think it's usually pretty healthy.

One full head romaine lettuce, some red onion (today it's scallions left from thanksgiving shopping), a few kalamata olives (Lori would be pleased to know that I actually count out 4 or 5, because that's the only way I can resist using half the jar), a sprinkle of crumbled bleu cheese, a clove or two of garlic, usually an avocado, full or half, but I'm out today so I diced an apple instead.  A sprinkle of flax seeds, another of dulse flakes, and several sprinkles of brewer's yeast.  Then olive oil and rice wine vinegar.  I often add a handful of slivered almonds (I told you it's not low-cal!) but today I used the last of the candied pecans from the pumpkin pies.  And some dried cranberries just because.  NOM!

If I had some left over it might be ok the next day, but it never lasts that long.

4 hours ago, EowynW said:

What's everyone having for dinner tonight? Mine is already cooking in the crockpot before I run off to knit club. Tonight is a request from Mr. EW. He goes gaga for this. 

Chicken breast, with a package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 2 cans of black beans (we drain them), topped with our home canned salsa & the last of the bell & banana peppers from our garden. Serve over corn chips (for Mr) or a bit of brown rice or broccoli for me. 

Please forgive me, but we're having Taco Bell. Salvation Army bell ringers work late.

I am being an evil feminist whore and going to a bar with my co-workers and eating whatever’s free there. Half a dozen folks are retiring, many of them ungodly career women.

18 minutes ago, Hane said:

I am being an evil feminist whore and going to a bar with my co-workers and eating whatever’s free there. Half a dozen folks are retiring, many of them ungodly career women.

Will this shindig be held at “Whore of Babylon Bar and Grill”? I have heard men are afraid to go there ‘cause women just take their jobs right out from under them as soon as they walk in the door. Dangerous place. 

2 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Will this shindig be held at “Whore of Babylon Bar and Grill”? I have heard men are afraid to go there ‘cause women just take their jobs right out from under them as soon as they walk in the door. Dangerous place. 

It’s a chain place called Wood-n-Tap, which is synonymous, what with the slutty feminists giving men wood and defrauding them in hopes of getting tapped.

On today's repetitive topic about divorce, one woman has this to say:

Many times it is the woman's fault. I have seen so many women selfishly "tear down their own house" by neglecting their role as a nurturing wife and mother. There are plenty of women who would love to take a neglected husband. Debbie Pearl's book CREATED TO BE HIS HELP MEET was a real eye opener about how a wife opens the door for her husband to be vulnerable.

Of course, Lori 'liked' the comment, along with a couple of other leghumpers. But then, another woman chimes in with this just moments ago:

How about this for a divorce? My first husband (yes, FIRST) beat me within an inch of my life and held a gun to my head threatening to pull the trigger. As soon as I had a way out, I took it. Was I justified to leave and divorce him? Or should I have stayed and lived in fear - every day - of being killed?

Okay, who's going to bet that Lori will 'like' this one? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :my_dodgy:

Millionaire's shortbread looks amazing and definitely drool worthy

We ate green beans potatoes and ham (yes with sugar added) growing up -  all summer with the veg from the garden and then in winter with the green beans we froze and the stored potatoes.

Neither Mr Dress nor I like pumpkin pie; however, we both like sweet potato pie.  Growing up the old farmers grew something they called a "roaster".  It was a hard shell squash, light skinned, oval shaped that grew the size of a small pumpkin.  It was probably an heirloom variety of squash, but I haven't seen it since I moved from home.  People saved seeds every year. It made the best pie ever!!

Tonights dinner will most likely be whatever we can forage while on the road. I'm headed to the next town over to take the notary public exam in the morning. Yes yes I know, I'm only furthering my own independent harlotry. 

Although, last night I did come in early from class and fix a Velveeta dinner box thing! You guys' crock pot prowess is a bit intimidating. I have one but have managed to either burn or simply screw up whatever I've tried in it. I really wish I enjoyed food the way others do. Its rough living in Cajun country around folks who basically worship it and myself being such a finicky eater who rather dreads cooking. I do enjoy reading y'alls recipes though! 

ETA: WRT the divorce business: any woman that wants my "neglected" ex can have him! As my 45 years married mother would put it: she can have him AND his nasty underwear. 

This will disappear by the time you can say 'Evanesco!'

This advice kills women. Every day it kills women. Why do you hate women so much? My drug addict husband was also emotionally abusive and didn't care one little bit what happened to me. Divorce is the best thing I ever did for my kids and myself. When the divorce was final, my older son said, "about time, mom" My kids are much happier now that all that turmoil is gone. You believe in a horrible god that wants women to suffer. Such a god is not worthy of worship. I know you are going to delete this but I'm speaking the truth. The first time you hear of a follower of yours killing herself, you remember what I've said.

Or being killed by her husband. :pb_confused:

13 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

I really wish I enjoyed food the way others do. Its rough living in Cajun country around folks who basically worship it and myself being such a finicky eater who rather dreads cooking. I do enjoy reading y'alls recipes though!

We were in Louisiana for a few days this spring. We got talking about local pride and asked a guy what someone would say if they seriously wanted to insult him as a Cajun. He said #1, "You can't cook." #2, "You can't dance."

Up here in Western Washington if you aimed to insult a local tribal person you'd say they can't fish. My husband heard that ultimate putdown delivered once in his classroom.

You know "her salad dressing" she's always talking about?  

"Everyone LOVES my salad dressing!"  Yeah, it's totally NOT her recipe!

She just shared a video to FB called, "Making My Delicious Creamy Salad Dressing".  Above it, she writes:

In this video, I show you how to make my most delicious and healthy salad dressing which will make eating salad much more appealing to your family! We've been eating it for years after my youngest daughter created it for me.

Good lord, she's been claiming it for years, lapping up all the credit from people who supposedly loved it.  Now we find out that it wasn't even her recipe!

This is just like her "borrowing" pictures and content that doesn't belong to her, because she's just sure they wouldn't mind.  :pb_rollseyes:  I guess it makes sense...after all, she is a "taker".

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

Okay, who's going to bet that Lori will 'like' this one? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :my_dodgy:

Looks like she deleted it.  Only comments blaming the woman are allowed to stand.

9 minutes ago, Koala said:

Looks like she deleted it.  Only comments blaming the woman are allowed to stand.

Yeah, it was gone pretty quickly. I think it lasted less than fifteen minutes. Typical. :pb_rollseyes:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived