IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 7: Not Pregnant Yet - Oops They Are Expecting

samurai_sarah

My mom's parents both came from big families--9 kids each.  My mom has over 100 first cousins.

They all grew up in a New England state, but as it turns out, one of the cousins ended up living in the same, fairly small town as I do now--several hundred miles away from their hometown.  I didn't know this until I started doing our family tree research & saw his obituary.  He even went to the same church that my parents go to when they visit me!  Maybe he was there when my mom was . . . spooky!

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My paternal grandmother was one of 11 she had three kids and nine grandchildren.

My maternal grandmother was one of seven she had one child and three grandchildren.

All of my maternal grandfather's siblings were murdered in Poland in WWII.

My paternal grandfather had maybe two or three siblings I know at least one of them died young of rheumatic heart fever.

I have 5 cousins on my dad's side (he's 1 of 5) and two on my mom's (she has one brother). My parents married very young- 19 and and 20- but waited quite some time to have me and my sister. Because they waited so long, all my cousins are significantly older than I am so we were never really close. I was always jealous of friends who had cousins their own age to play with.

I have one sister and my husband has a brother. My sister and her partner aren't planning on kids afaik, and my BIL doesn't seem to be interested in a relationship or kids at this time so it looks like my boys may grow up without cousins. 

I've got cousins I've never even met. At least 50 on Dad's side. I've got 14 on Moms side, but that's just first cousins. Most have children of their own now. 

But one of my most treasured photos I have is a 5 generation picture. My grandmother, my mother, my sister, my niece, and her baby son. It's cherished. 

I’ve got over a hundred cousins, most of whom I’ve never met. I did however meet a significant chunk of them last November at my great grandmother’s 100th birthday extravaganza.  

My dad grew up on the bottom floor of a duplex with his aunt, uncle and cousins living on the top floor. They were raised like siblings. When my parents were married my dad moved next door to his sister and her kids. So my cousins lived next door and we grew up as siblings. I love that they repeated that aspect of their own upbringing with us. I wish my siblings could live near me, but unfortunately I live in the overpriced expensive Bay Area.

And just yesterday my partner discovered a long lost second cousin via an ancestry.com genetic test. We are pretty excited to get to know her!

Neither my mother or father came from families with a lot of kids (relatively - my dad had four siblings), but I grew up in a small town so if you had the same last name as me, we were related.  

1 hour ago, sta_sha said:

I have 5 cousins on my dad's side (he's 1 of 5) and two on my mom's (she has one brother). My parents married very young- 19 and and 20- but waited quite some time to have me and my sister. Because they waited so long, all my cousins are significantly older than I am so we were never really close. I was always jealous of friends who had cousins their own age to play with.

I have one sister and my husband has a brother. My sister and her partner aren't planning on kids afaik, and my BIL doesn't seem to be interested in a relationship or kids at this time so it looks like my boys may grow up without cousins. 

We have a family friend. Older Italian couple. They both have brothers who never married. They had 4 daughters. Of those 4, 3 have kids in total their are 10 Grandchildren the girls never had first cousins but they sure gave their children a bunch of them. 

I also was jealous of friends who were close with their cousins. 

On my mother's side, there is a big family. I have a pretty big extended family from that side. Sadly, I lost two of my Uncle's in less than two years.  

My father's side, I only ever knew my grandmother and one of my Uncle's. 

I have four siblings, two older and two younger. I'm in the middle, and don't I know it. 

41 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Neither my mother or father came from families with a lot of kids (relatively - my dad had four siblings), but I grew up in a small town so if you had the same last name as me, we were related.  

I love the small town part. Same goes for me. Then again, I come from an extremely small town with less than 200 people. 

49 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I have a somewhat common Jewish last name. Their is another family my town with the same last name we are not related. Back in 2000 my sister was a camp counselor and this families youngest daughter was in her group. The camp knew they were not related. 

When I was in nursing school, a patient on my clinical rotation had the same last name I did.  I wasn't allowed to care for him because "he has to be related to you!"  No, same last name, no relation.  

My dad's the youngest of four. Each sibling had two children. His father was one of nine and his mother was one of ten kids. He has tons of cousins on both sides. My mom's the youngest of three. The oldest died the day before he was born. Her dad was one of ten kids three died very young. The rest all had tons of kids.  Her mother had only one sibling but she had four kids.  Both my parents spent tons of time growing up with their cousins. They went to school together. A few were they were best friends with. It didn't really remain once they grew up. Dad grew apart from his cousins because he moved to a different state, my mom's family there were fights, fallouts, and stuff that happened that they don't really speak anymore.  Some stuff really can't be forgiven.    

My brother and I have a total of eight cousins. Six on Dad's side, and two on Mom's. My brother and I are still close to most of the ones on Dad's side. I do think email, Facebook and things have made it easier to stay in touch. My nephew currently only has one cousin on his mom's side. But he completely lucked out in the second cousins department on our Dad's side. Five of our cousins married and have kids some are older but there are some around the age of my nephew. He has twelve second cousins and seven are boys. In the spring my nephew got to play with 5 of his second cousins and they had a blast.  Two of them are coming back after the holidays and he can't wait. Their all really great kids.     

On December 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Italiangirl said:

question since I'm reading some ff (not Duggar FF bleah) usually when did you (general you) discover if it is twins? since they are so young is a possibility also for them..

I'm not caught up yet so sorry if someone already answered you. *~SuPeR sPeShUl BlEsSeD TwIn MoM~* here, and I found out at the first ultrasound, which was six weeks. We all know how these Duggars tend to wait months before an ultrasound so they can say "maybe twins...you never know!" (But yeah, most of us usually do know. :my_dodgy:)

eta: I was fairly young (24, not 19) but it's much more common for twins to be conceived by older mothers. This is, of course, very general. Plenty of "16 & Pregnant" moms have had twins.

It's not a typical case, but I know someone who had twins this year and she didn't find out until about 6 months along. They missed it in the first ultrasound.

20 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

It's not a typical case, but I know someone who had twins this year and she didn't find out until about 6 months along. They missed it in the first ultrasound.

I think their are still some people who don’t realize they are having twins. For example if they don’t get an ultrasound. 

I once saw a TV special about women who had twins without knowing it. The only one that made a little sense was one where the twins were born in 1978. The rest of the stories the women didn’t get ultrasounds. 

12 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I think their are still some people who don’t realize they are having twins. For example if they don’t get an ultrasound. 

Oh, there was a story like that on the radicalfemininity blog. The couple didn't know it was twins until the second baby was born. Apparently they didn't get any ultrasounds and the birth was a home birth with a completely unqualified attendant who believes hospitals are evil (seriously). The mother "did have some complications after the birth, which resulted in 2 unexpected emergency trips to the hospital." Pretty scary.

6 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I've never met someone with my last name who wasn't fairly closely related to me.

I have. My brother and I went to school with a girl who had our last name. Every year every teacher we had would always ask if she was our sister. She was always asked if she was our sister. Nope, we weren't related. But in our area everyone seemed to think our last name was uncommon, which is funny. Its one of the most common Swedish last names. Also, my dad's family used to switch last names each generation adding the "son" or "dotter" to their father's name and making it their last name until about three or four generations back. So the odds of meeting someone with my last name and being related are even more unlikely.    

Just now, JordynDarby5 said:

Also, my dad's family used to switch last names each generation adding the "son" or "dotter" to their father's name and making it their last name until about three or four generations back. So the odds of meeting someone with my last name and being related are even more unlikely.    

They still do that in Iceland! (with -son and -dóttir) A family of four with a mother, father, son, and daughter would have four different surnames.

At my childhood dentist there was another set of siblings who had the same exact names as my brother and I (excluding middle names. They would differentiate our records by our middle initials). My last name isn't super common, but most of the people I've met who have it actually have my brother's name. 

23 minutes ago, Pete Pickles said:

I'm not caught up yet so sorry if someone already answered you. *~SuPeR sPeShUl BlEsSeD TwIn MoM~* here, and I found out at the first ultrasound, which was six weeks. We all know how these Duggars tend to wait months before an ultrasound so they can say "maybe twins...you never know!" (But yeah, most of us usually do know. :my_dodgy:)

eta: I was fairly young (24, not 19) but it's much more common for twins to be conceived by older mothers. This is, of course, very general. Plenty of "16 & Pregnant" moms have had twins.

Twins run in both sides of my family so in 1996 when the dr made an off hand comment about having an early ultrasound to check that I was only having a singleton I asked some of my cousins what their signs were.

One had no idea, she found out at her 18 week scan. 

One was twice as sick as she had been the first time, so asked her dr to figure out what why it was so bad. That was in the early stages I think - 6 or 8 weeks. 

Another was trying to stop her toddler from screeching during a tantrum and said ‘stop, you’re screaming so loudly the babies might hear you’. Her husband: ‘uh, babies?’ Her: ‘I wonder why that slipped out’. A few weeks later the dr told her there were two. 

I just realized that my Dad has 53 first cousins on his Dad's side. Which means that my paternal great grandparents had 63 grandchildren. My grandfather was had 8 full siblings and 1 half sibling. His half sibling and his oldest brother didn't marry or have any children. 

21 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I couldn't help but notice that there are no actual pics of Kendra's baby bump in any of the announcements. I'm wondering if they're trying to avoid discussions about her body or speculation about how far along she is (and premarital sex), and if that has anything to do with tabloid reactions to Joy's pregnancy.

She may not be showing yet. I didn't show with either of my 2 until close to 30 weeks

4 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

I've got cousins I've never even met. At least 50 on Dad's side. I've got 14 on Moms side, but that's just first cousins. Most have children of their own now. 

But one of my most treasured photos I have is a 5 generation picture. My grandmother, my mother, my sister, my niece, and her baby son. It's cherished. 

We also have the 5 generation picture <3 My great gramma, my gramma, my mom, me, my daughter. And another adding my sister, my niece, her son and my son (great gram passed this year)

56 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

They still do that in Iceland! (with -son and -dóttir) A family of four with a mother, father, son, and daughter would have four different surnames.

They do? That's so cool!

On 12/18/2017 at 12:10 PM, twoanddone said:

I was 19 when I had my first ... who happens to turn 14 today. 

I was young,  but i like to think we've grown up together.

I was also a mom at nineteen, and it really was fine.  Was married (9 months and 10 days) and TONS of family support.

Second child at twenty, then a wait of nine years. The marriage didn’t last (what a shocker!) but all were/are very well loved. Two more arrived (as I said) nine and then 10 years later – then the kibosh.

Life goes on.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived