IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 7: Not Pregnant Yet - Oops They Are Expecting

samurai_sarah

False positives can occur on home tests because some of them are a bit rubbish, but they're very uncommon on lab tests.  Some tumours and medications will cause them (including some types of testicular tumours). False negatives are extraordinarily rare too.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes men with testicular cancer can get positive pregnancy tests. There was a story a few years ago where a reddit user posted a joke about how he used a home pregnancy test and it came out positive. Multiple commenters told him to go get checked out for testicular cancer, and sure enough he did have cancer, which was fortunately caught pretty early.

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Sometimes men with testicular cancer can get positive pregnancy tests. There was a story a few years ago where a reddit user posted a joke about how he used a home pregnancy test and it came out positive. Multiple commenters told him to go get checked out for testicular cancer, and sure enough he did have cancer, which was fortunately caught pretty early.

I heard that story also.  

False negatives are very common if you test too early in pregnancy, and “too early” varies between women. I’ve had one and so have at least two friends of mine. Not to mention the “Do not test early!! It’s not reliable!!!” lecture from my fertility clinic. 

On 12/18/2017 at 5:41 PM, The Wanderer said:

Well it looks like Kendra will get the honor of being the first Duggar teen mom. I am not even slightly surprised.

Props to Marjorie Jackson for escaping that fate!!

On 23/12/2017 at 8:27 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Sorry about the empty quote box - I was browsing whilst dozing and hit some random buttons ... now I can’t figure out why I can’t get rid of it. 

Anyway, I’m surprised that Joe and Kendra didn’t make their announcement on Christmas Day. I hope they didn’t leave that glory for a different sibling. 

Anyway, I’m surprised that Joe and Kendra didn’t make their announcement on Christmas Day. I hope they didn’t leave that glory for a different sibling. 

If they did, I'd imagine it would be Benessa. I'll be surprised if Henry's first birthday passes with no announcement from them.

I'm glad Josiah and Marjorie didn't marry, they were both young and with it being around the time of both Josh scandals Marjorie would have found herself caught in the middle of it all. She was able to go to college and experience life. I do see Josiah being next to court.

This tweet happened to be retweeted by one of the accounts I follow. I literally laughed out loud when I saw it:

Kendra looks so so young here. Like she’s 16 and excited to open up her floral perfume, Pink sweatpants, and eyeshadow palette. I don’t know if she got any of that stuff (probably no) but she is going to be a mother soon! 

E38EDEFA-F034-4E84-8091-21546A418FF4.png

15 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Kendra looks so so young here. Like she’s 16 and excited to open up her floral perfume, Pink sweatpants, and eyeshadow palette. I don’t know if she got any of that stuff (probably no) but she is going to be a mother soon!

If she ages like her parents, she'll look like a teenager for the next decade at least! :) I do think she and Joe seem really comfortable and happy together, which makes me happy. Most of the Duggar boys (besides Smuggar, of course) actually seem like they have good husband potential...thoughtful, handy, easygoing, and most of all, they're not D-Wreck! :D

On 22/12/2017 at 1:27 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Liking OTHER peoples babies is very different than wanting your own.  My daughter LOVES babies but doesn't want one, she's 17, I'm guessing that will most likely change.  I never wanted kids at all until I was about 25 then, I was like some day, not knowing that a year and a half later I'd be pregnant, we weren't expecting it that quickly.  I was 27 when my 1st was born.

<snip>

Amen! I love my nephew, he's the light of my life. But do I want a baby? Hell no! We have 3 cats, and neither my husband nor I want to give up travelling and doing whatever we want to be tethered to a child for 18+ years. I had a "friend" the other day tell me that since I don't want babies I don't love my husband...:my_dodgy: I was like, last time I checked it's better to just not have any babies rather than be bitter about it for the rest of my life... I'd rather just enjoy my nephew (and the next one they'll eventually have!) and be done with it. I get all the great parts & none of the bad (ex: poop, vomit, etc). :my_biggrin:

^^ The vomit and poop are only a small piece of the puzzle... My concern is when they tell you to eff off as teenagers, you have to get them out of jail, or you worry about them making it on their own as adults in this economy.

Other people's kids are so much less complicated.

I'm also a SINK :pb_lol: with an above-average income, and the expectation that I fly out to every distant family/friend's life event really grates on me.

Sure, I could spend $800 for a flight, hotel, and rental car, and maybe even take a vacation day or two, every time a cousin or childhood friend gets married. But it adds up, and I would like to take a vacation for myself, darn it! A few years ago, after a spate of high school friend weddings, I realized I had actually spent over 5k over the course of one spring/summer traveling to various weddings, in addition to a number of vacation days. Only one of those weddings was for someone who is currently in my life in any meaningful way. After that, I vowed to be more intentional with my money and time.

Of course there are some friends and family members I would fly to the moon to support. But that childhood friend I exchange an email with once or twice a year, or the cousin I only hear about through my mother? Not so much. 

On 2017-12-24 at 10:55 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

False negatives are very common if you test too early in pregnancy, and “too early” varies between women. I’ve had one and so have at least two friends of mine. Not to mention the “Do not test early!! It’s not reliable!!!” lecture from my fertility clinic. 

I’ve had many negative pregnancy tests...the majority of them because I tested way too early (for me at least). While most tests claim to be able to predict up to 5 days before your cycle, I only ever got a positive (and a faint one at that) several days after my missed cycle. Never mind that I knew that already.....I still spent a small fortune on tests because i KNEW I was pregnant, damnit.

Its not necessarily that they’re false negatives....it just means that you don’t have enough hormones in your urine to test. It can’t pick up what isn’t there!

I could probably have made it through my pregnancy without knowing, or pretty close to it, if I hadn't been trying and taking clomid... 

I've always had irregular periods, so 9 months without one wouldn't have been too odd, I'm a size 22/24, and didn't pop til the last week or two, I actually lost weight the entire pregnancy, I didn't feel movement until 24ish weeks I think, I had terrible back labor, without a single "normal" contraction that would read on the monitors.

Plus all of this was during a hectic overseas Army move from Germany to Georgia, that had it's own mess of problems, it's easy for me to look back now, and see how easy it would have been to miss.

Learned I was pregnant second trimester with my last baby. I was breastfeeding a toddler, morbidly obese, had an IUD and had an ovary removed. I was having very erratic cycles and didn’t expect more given the breastfeeding and the surgery.

And the ONLY symptom I had was for six weeks I was getting sick every time I was in the sun too long, like I was getting sun poisoning. I was weak and nauseous and occasionally vomited afterward.

I only tested because I knew my doctor would ask and I thought it was ridiculous to bill insurance $35 for a test when obviously the answer was no so could we please address what weird thing WAS happening......except the test was positive.

Had I not done that or that test had been a false negative, I honestly don’t know when I would have figured out I was pregnant. Not likely delivery but definitely could have made it six months or more without realizing it.

There are also many medications that can give false positives and or negatives.  My sister had a friend that could only get results from a blood test due to medications she was taking for her epilepsy. Of course this was 20+ years ago so maybe home tests have gotten better about this.

15 hours ago, curlykate said:

I’ve had many negative pregnancy tests...the majority of them because I tested way too early (for me at least). While most tests claim to be able to predict up to 5 days before your cycle, I only ever got a positive (and a faint one at that) several days after my missed cycle. Never mind that I knew that already.....I still spent a small fortune on tests because i KNEW I was pregnant, damnit.

Its not necessarily that they’re false negatives....it just means that you don’t have enough hormones in your urine to test. It can’t pick up what isn’t there!

You’re right that it really depends on the woman and the pregnancy. I got a positive result with my daughter about nine days after I likely conceived her and I got a positive result before two weeks with the pregnancy I miscarried as well - both were a bit faint, but clear enough for me to know for sure I was definitely pregnant. Each pregnancy is different and hormone levels aren’t going to rise the same way for everyone, so I do recommend at least waiting the two weeks before testing to anyone who is actively trying to conceive. 

False positives are almost a thing of myth, exceedingly rare. What is more rare is a positive result that is very faint and ends up being a chemical pregnancy.

Even false negatives can be almost entirely removed if you get a blood test or use proper medical-grade urine tests which are commonly used in ERs when an instant diagnosis is needed for whatever reason and the person is not conscious for example. Some of these are commonly used by surrogates or others undergoing IVF procedures and they will detect HCG as low as 3-4 mIU (for the record, 5 mIU is the cut off for qualitative blood work so it tells you how sensitive they are). But you can't buy them in stores and most people would not have access to them.

2 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

What is more rare is a positive result that is very faint and ends up being a chemical pregnancy.

This isn't that rare, and a chemical pregnancy is just one that passes before there is a heartbeat (which is usually at 6 weeks pregnant, so 2 weeks after the missed period). I had one, my one and only miscarriage, which happened after almost 2 years of trying and getting nothing but negatives.  You usually get a positive test after your missed period and if it miscarries before that 6 week mark, that's a chemical pregnancy. Not rare at all.

Looks like Kendra is wearing a skirt over ski pants. Just in case random people on the slopes wouldn’t know she’s female if she was only wearing pants. Can’t have that. 

5 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Looks like Kendra is wearing a skirt over ski pants. Just in case random people on the slopes wouldn’t know she’s female if she was only wearing pants. Can’t have that. 

Bonus points for the fact it’s some sort of ballet tutu style skirt. My nine year old has the same kind.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived