IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, meee said:

I think I remember, from the free book, the mom having unexplained secondary infertility and the kids praying for another baby before the twins were born.

A relatively large gap between two waves of children? Gosh, what could THAT possibly be based on...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2017 at 5:29 PM, sparkles said:

Melissa—Melissa is Moses’ twin. This girl is handy in the kitchen and adds a sparkle to life.

Wow, so glad Sarah took the time to fully develop this character, and didn’t rely on lazy tropes to describe Melissa. /s
Also, I read the first four books, and I think I distinctly remember baking to be Molly’s thing. I guess with Molly married and off serving the Lord in heathen Africa, someone had to take over.

(Also also, hi! I’ve been reading a while but this is my first post!)

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember reading a story from an ex ATI member sitting in their car in a grocery store parking lot. Their parents had them talk about people walking into the store and their assumptions based on what they were wearing and how they carried themselves. It was so fucked up. 

Pretty sure that was an actual project in one of the first Wisdom Books. I think that after it started being discussed on the internet they took it out because they claimed it could be "misunderstood". 

Is the book really only $5.95? 

2 hours ago, Hane said:

Yep. Maybe I’m odd, but I’ve always thought there’s something “off” about parents’ involving their children so deeply in their reproductive practices. “Praying Mommy gets pregnant” is a hell of a burden to lay on a child. So is chapter and verse about Daddy’s vasectomy and its reversal.

Flash back to Alice, the pregnancy obsessed Brit mum.  I'm betting the maths part of her kids' homeschooling (mostly boys) was charting her fertility.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:38 PM, theologygeek said:

Oh my goodness.  That poor thing has no idea what 14 year olds are reading in school.  John Steinbeck books were the required reading when I was 14 and a freshman in high school.  From what I read in the preview, Sarah's "novel" is suitable for an 8 year old.  Ten year olds have even passed that type of book already.  How could her father let her sell that?  It's so embarrassing. 

In Sarah's world, 14 year old girls are still children. Mentally, at least. And the way they're treated by those in their world.

To them, a girl of 14 is just like a grown woman of 35 - they share the same maturity level and have the same purpose in life. Be a sister mom until a suitable godly man comes along and makes her a naive, controlled, manipulated breeder.

9 hours ago, Naga Viper said:

A relatively large gap between two waves of children? Gosh, what could THAT possibly be based on...

Multiple vasectomies and reversals?

12 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Is the book really only $5.95? 

That's $5.95 more than it's worth. I feel bad about the trees that had to die for the book to be produced. I wonder if they know where they eventually ended up after they died?

Happy Thanksgiving  to my fellow FJers!  Happy Boring Thursday to Steve. 

Five of us are going to a restaurant for dinner (mid-day) and coming back to my house for football and late-afternoon snacks.  Our snack menu is more extensive than the Maxwells' dinner.  

Hey Steve, that's the proper use of an apostrophe up there. 

Today is the day! The Maxwells will consume the most sparse and boring thanksgiving meal ever! Do you think Teri is already up cutting lettuce gor her salad? I hope we get pics!

12 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Do you think Teri is already up cutting lettuce gor her salad? I hope we get pics!

I bet they did it yesterday. Didn't she say she spent the day before Thanksgiving preparing things? 

I can't imagine making Thanksgiving so dull. 

Lol yeah. Im hosting and im still laying in bed! I only have to cook four things. But still, i havent done fuck all except go to the store and clean. Do have 4 bottles of white chilling. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I was up all night baking pies (spiked with booze) and have spent my morning making liver pate, turkey spiced with thyme and sage, stuffing with apples and Italian sausage, roasted carrots and green beans, and deviled eggs. I did briefly entertain using a pizza cutter to slice my pie dough into strips for decoration (I made a braided crust edge), but decided to use a paring knife.

My meal today rivals the Maxwells’ in boringness, but then again I don’t claim to be a good cook nor am I giving others advice (moral nor kitchen).  But it works for me.

I’m having only one guest, and he’s a vegetarian (and I am a mostly-veg).  Neither of us are big into the traditional ritual.  We’re having vegetarian chili and cornbread, roasted veggies, and pumpkin pie.  I have fixings for a green salad and greens for cooking, so I might add those dishes at the last minute, but might save them for me over the next few days, since they would not be his favorites.

I have sparkling cider and wine, and he’ll probably bring beer for himself.

I made the chili in the crockpot yesterday, will reheat later today.  This morning I made two pumpkin pies (having started from an actual locally-grown pumpkin which I cooked yesterday) and then the cornbread.  Waiting a while to make the roasted veggies so they will be ready at mealtime.

Also I just for the first time yesterday made whipped cream!  (yay for stick blenders!)  Will probably make more this afternoon for our pumpkin pie... 

Mmmmmm vegetarian chili........my favorite. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone for whom it applies. It's always good to have reminders to be thankful. I'm in Canada and we had our Thanksgiving already.

53 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

My meal today rivals the Maxwells’ in boringness, but then again I don’t claim to be a good cook nor am I giving others advice (moral nor kitchen).  But it works for me.

I’m having only one guest, and he’s a vegetarian (and I am a mostly-veg).  Neither of us are big into the traditional ritual.  We’re having vegetarian chili and cornbread, roasted veggies, and pumpkin pie.  I have fixings for a green salad and greens for cooking, so I might add those dishes at the last minute, but might save them for me over the next few days, since they would not be his favorites.

I have sparkling cider and wine, and he’ll probably bring beer for himself.

I made the chili in the crockpot yesterday, will reheat later today.  This morning I made two pumpkin pies (having started from an actual locally-grown pumpkin which I cooked yesterday) and then the cornbread.  Waiting a while to make the roasted veggies so they will be ready at mealtime.

Also I just for the first time yesterday made whipped cream!  (yay for stick blenders!)  Will probably make more this afternoon for our pumpkin pie... 

That is so not boring. Now I'm hungry. Seriously you have what sounds like more and yummier food than the Maxwells- and definitely more vegetables! This is probably the bit I understand least about the Maxwell's dinner - it's a harvest festival. It's not warm. It's the perfect time for platters of roast fresh veggies. Why are they making a godawful salad?!?!

Thought two - do they grow any of their own vegetables? Maybe they should, then they might appreciate the harvest aspect more.

25 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Thanksgiving post up along with a video.  Goofy Anna and Scary Mary get rid of the baby voices please.

I haven't been here for weeks but came back just to share with you that this video is soooooooo painful to watch...

are they all 12 or what? :fubar:

And John ... I wish he'd shut up...he only looks good on photos...I'm dissapointed of him. This is first time I hear him speak.

Steve looks so...depressed? ETA: Teri seems to be the happiest one, John and Sarah are smug, girls got high

Hahaha, John is grateful for change, change, Chelsy, change and getting the hell out of Maxhell. Oh, and video editing.

Anna looks much prettier in videos - she just doesn’t photograph well. And Mary is the opposite.

I actually didn't mind the video. They all said about what I'd expect. It was interesting to hear their voices. I don't think I have before. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived