IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

Anna looks pretty cute, she's so not photogenic! Looks better in video. Those girls talk like they're 8 years old, so much for great conversationalists.

Also, now Teri creeps me out as much as Steveovah does. They're both scary.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesse, the forgotten Maxwell, actually comes across as the best, most confident speaker (not commenting on what he's saying, just the way he speaks).  Sarah speaks fairly well too.

I see what you all mean about Mary.  Yes, I'd think she was a little girl too if I didn't know better.  And what's with opening her eyes so wide?

Jesse comes off as more attractive in video, and unfortunately John less so (he's got that weird Maxwell intensity). 

I agree, Sarah speaks fairly well, but Anna and Mary do come off as young teenagers. It's interesting how Teri and Steve are such confident, clear speakers but have completely failed at passing that on to their kids. 

I know we need to be careful about writing things like "When I was her age, I was doing...". So I will be careful. 

I am always really interested in Mary and Anna because my daughter falls right between them in age, I think. She is twenty three and I admit to noting huge differences when I read the Maxwell blog (sorry; I can't help it).  Hearing those girls speak actually left me feeling kind of sad and a little embarrassed for them. They sound like our little neighbor girl who is ten!  Sarah seems to be well spoken; as does Teri, in my opinion. I wonder where they picked up the child like voice and inflection if their two older examples don't do this.  

Steve seemed less confident in front of the camera than Teri did.  John and Jesse kind of creeped me out. "Chelsy is my natural caffeine"??????  

I think I'm going to watch it again.  And again. 

What was being said during the end of the video?  I had my laptop at full volume and I couldn't hear why they were giggling.

2 minutes ago, jiggleromp said:

What was being said during the end of the video?  I had my laptop at full volume and I couldn't hear why they were giggling.

I guess they were the Maxwell version of outtakes?

Jesse looks so much older in that video. I think maybe he's lost a little weight andgot a haircut. But it's aged him. He used to look so young to me but now I think he looks older than 23 in that video!

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I know we need to be careful about writing things like "When I was her age, I was doing...". So I will be careful. 

I am always really interested in Mary and Anna because my daughter falls right between them in age, I think. She is twenty three and I admit to noting huge differences when I read the Maxwell blog (sorry; I can't help it).  Hearing those girls speak actually left me feeling kind of sad and a little embarrassed for them. They sound like our little neighbor girl who is ten!  Sarah seems to be well spoken; as does Teri, in my opinion. I wonder where they picked up the child like voice and inflection if their two older examples don't do this.  

Anna and Mary’s voices and delivery reminded me of Anna Duggar and to a lesser extent Jill Dillard. They know the Duggars - maybe they are the It Girls of fundamentalism and other young fundie girls imitate them.

The weird Maxwells have approved dozens of posts while my inocuous question about ebooks remains unpublished, even though I wreathed it in fundie speak. Why on earth can’t they say whether or not an ebook will be forthcoming?

643BC48C-4FD7-4A88-9E6D-2155A8A2BE92.png

I thought Sarah came across quite natural and genuine in that video. Given that I have no idea what she sounds like in real life, she seems happy and well... normal.

No Thanksgiving here, but I did have some Argentinian smoked pork belly with all the trimings for lunch. So good.

Sarah's demeanour in this video is totally different in than in the video where she's talking about her children's book series, she looks and talks her age and seems comfortable and happy. Although, I don't know how long ago that book series video was filmed and I guess that could have something to do with it.

I don’t think the book series video was that long ago, maybe 2-3 years ago? And maybe Sarah was aware that she was talking about a kids’ series so she deliberately spoke in a slightly child-like way, or did it subconsciously or something. I dunno, the Maxwells are weird.

8 hours ago, terranova said:

I thought Sarah came across quite natural and genuine in that video. Given that I have no idea what she sounds like in real life, she seems happy and well... normal.

No Thanksgiving here, but I did have some Argentinian smoked pork belly with all the trimings for lunch. So good.

Yum! Sounds yummy!! So cool to see someone from here.

2 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Melanie looking all happy and normal and non-judgy at Anna's recent wedding! Per Grace's public instagram 

IMG_2797.PNG

Melanie looks great in this picture. Hard to believe it's her. 

Melanie does look nice!

Wonder why a jean jacket over such a pretty looking dress.

I'm really hoping she didn't feel the need to cover up a non-frumper dress.

John is so dissapointting in this video ..in fact the studly looking John of old seems to have gone since he got engaged. To me it looks as if he's lost weight in the face and his eyes have gone all...maxhell..eeep.  maybe it's the excitement of the after wedding deflowering that's doing it. Only 32 days til he gets to leave the compound and become a man!!

Jesse seems over it, but it's not the first time he has. 

Not that hints of being over it mean anything, if John is any proof. Sigh.

1 hour ago, clese said:

John is so dissapointting in this video ..in fact the studly looking John of old seems to have gone since he got engaged. To me it looks as if he's lost weight in the face and his eyes have gone all...maxhell..eeep.  maybe it's the excitement of the after wedding deflowering that's doing it. Only 32 days til he gets to leave the compound and become a man!!

I wonder if John is feeling a lot of stress over his parents' potential disapproval of his future wife. I bet there is a lot of tension in that house over this engagement. I wonder if he really wants to get out of the compound but just can't bring himself to leave. If he truly loves Chelsy, he could be feeling a little nervous about bringing her home to his family that doesn't seem to approve of her. I hope he has it in him to protect her from his judgy, hateful father; but the fact that he's moving her to the compound makes me doubt that. She will be under the Maxwell thumb pretty soon.  Her future seems pretty grim to me but after she called that teenage boy a bum, I'm not sure I care anymore. 

Anyone else catch Anna saying that she's thankful for her nieces and nephews because life would be boring without them? An unintentionally revealing comment, I think!

i agree that Sarah spoke much better than her sisters. Anna wasn't *too* bad other than a somewhat babyish tone of voice, but Mary? I was actually surprised by how badly she spoke and presented herself. It looked weird the way she kept opening her eyes really wide, and I got distracted by the fact that she kept doing something odd with her mouth while speaking. I guess she was trying to smile while talking, but hasn't yet developed the knack of doing that well. I agre with whoever said that her speech and demeanour were like those of a mid or early teen.

Superficial I know, and I really do normally try to avoid snarking on looks, but I was genuinely surprised by how less good Mary looked than in photos. She looks really pretty in the photo at the top of the blog post, but didn't come across like that in the video. To be fair though, her odd way of talking didn't do her any favours visually, and also the lighting and the angle of the camera were poor. The shots of John, Jesse and Mary were particularly unflattering. 

@freejugar, haha yes I noticed that too about Jesse being thankful for coffee. I thought of FJ!

43 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

@freejugar, haha yes I noticed that too about Jesse being thankful for coffee. I thought of FJ!

I can't resist posting this; after all I sure can't have that on the Maxwell blog; enjoy

It was nice to see and hear the Maxwells. I've only ever heard Sarah and Terri speaking

Steve is even more scary than he is in photos. There is something odd and icky about him. He reminds me of a serial killer or someone who is slightly manic?

I don't really like Terri's voice pitch. It could get annoying at a conference. I thought they were going to kiss at one point, a la Jim Bob and Michelle!

All the girls do speak in a slightly babyish voice, but Sarah looked nice and did seem happy. Anna was surprisingly good and does come across better in video than in photos.

I agree Mary does look odd. She does something weird with her mouth. I've seen it in kids I have taught from one particular family. It’s when you don’t use your lips properly when speaking. The lips are rarely brought together when forming words. A little speech therapy in child hood usually sorts it out, but there wasn’t any hope of that with Mary.

Jesse came across as more assertive than he does in photos - wonder did he ever consider opting for contacts as his specs are quite thick on his face. Didn't care much for what he said though

I have to say I quite liked John in the video, but I've always had a soft spot for him. He does have a wide stare, but I'll forgive him that. I loved that he kept on about Chelsey and his impending wedding and "their" house. I thought calling her his little firecracker and natural caffeine was a bit risqué. How did Steve allow that! And the fact that he didn’t say he was thankful for his parents’ Godly example was a big middle finger to Steve. 

You guys, I'm still stuck on the chocolate chip thing. Like, I suddenly wanted to make sure I'm up on what's available these days so I'm not wandering around the grocery aisles in dumbfounded amazement over shit that normal people take for granted. How did I not know these are a thing?

Spoiler

40059-caramel-flavored-baking-chips.jpg

Or these?

Spoiler

hershey-s-cinnamon-chips-10oz-bag-6.jpg

"How strange!" said Moses. "These chocolate chips aren't even chocolate!"

So there ya go, Steve. A little free research on what life in the 21st century is like. Let Sarah know.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived