IGNORED

Lori Alexander 31: The Viral Godly Tudor

In pounces Lindy on the blood pressure thread:

I think one of satan's most powerful weapons is the fear of "what if". It completely robs our faith. If we are obedient to the Scriptures, we can trust God will care for us and our family through life or death.

I sure hope she doesn't have car, health or life insurance or any sort of insurance. Having insurance is from Satan. 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are talking of blood pressure, I wanted to share a success I just had, in the hope it might help others.

I got high blood pressure about two years ago and have been taking a diuretic (prescribed by my doctor) ever since. It controlled the bp

Recently I started taking an exercise class every morning. It's been a month. Just this week, I decided to randomly take my bp and found it's completely normal. I am off the meds for the thrid day in a row and it is still normal, even when I am really stressed. (doing this under a doctor's supervision).  So there's that. No weight loss, by the way.

Lori's problem is this: She likes to control things. Some health issues cannot be controlled. This freaks her out. She therefore tries to find bizarre ways to guarantee good health forever. 

Lori hates fat, specifically people who are fat. So she targets the things that can cause obesity, such as sugar or "bad" oils. Then she decides that these things are the cause of all bad health.

I'd be the first to agree that too much sugar, carbs, etc can cause obesity and many health related problems, particularly in first world countries in the 21 century. But I don't think that eating steamed beats along with bean sprouts soaked in flaxseed oil is going to cure any illnesses, sorry, Lori.

Popped on over to her page and I think international day of the girl did get her goat lol. Really hitting those feminist hard. And I don't think I'd ever read anything written by the Pearls unless I was doing research. Their stuff just seems vile. I'd buy the books just to burn them and considering I'm currently a librarian that's saying something.  So no thanks. And the last part isn't untrue but I'm pretty active in God's Word and still a feminist. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd ask her but she blocked me for using Jesus as an example :dontgetit:

image.png

I have to eat very similar to her. She embarrasses me because she makes all of us more alternative minded people look like insane kooks. When most aren't. 

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

Since we are talking of blood pressure, I wanted to share a success I just had, in the hope it might help others.

I got high blood pressure about two years ago and have been taking a diuretic (prescribed by my doctor) ever since. It controlled the bp

Recently I started taking an exercise class every morning. It's been a month. Just this week, I decided to randomly take my bp and found it's completely normal. I am off the meds for the thrid day in a row and it is still normal, even when I am really stressed. (doing this under a doctor's supervision).  So there's that. No weight loss, by the way.

I'm really glad to hear this, for your sake & it encourages me. I found out this week that I'm pre-diabetic, my BP was elevated & my cholesterol could be better. My doc told me to cut out soda & exercise. He said losing weight would probably take care of all my issues. I don't want to end up on meds! So tonight I got on the expertise bike for 30 minutes, 7.1 miles, kind of slow but I did it!

Great job, Chocolatedefrauded!  I need to lose some weight, too.  My b/p was up last time I was in, and my cholesterol was normal, but on the high side.  Plus I think I'd feel better.

I belong to a conservative church and I told my Pastor about Lori.  He told me she has a shaky grasp of scripture, at best.

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

I have to eat very similar to her. She embarrasses me because she makes all of us more alternative minded people look like insane kooks. When most aren't. 

I completely agree with you - she makes it all seem so crazy and militant. I actually find some of her nutrition tips very interesting. I think she is relatively knowledgeable about food, additives and nutrition. Her presentation is just so hateful, it turns off the average reader who might be looking for tips. If her blog was more well-rounded (and...you know...friendly) she could gain quite a following for her  recipes and food tips. Of course, she needs to expand her palate a bit for that to happen too. I think she eats about six different foods - she has the food variety of a small child. She avoids moderation in the opposite extreme from what most imagine.  

29 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

I'm really glad to hear this, for your sake & it encourages me. I found out this week that I'm pre-diabetic, my BP was elevated & my cholesterol could be better. My doc told me to cut out soda & exercise. He said losing weight would probably take care of all my issues. I don't want to end up on meds! So tonight I got on the expertise bike for 30 minutes, 7.1 miles, kind of slow but I did it!

I cut sugar, diet drinks, and only had carbs in the form of oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes and walked myself off the pre diabetic edge. You can do it! I know you can!

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

I always have this guilty uneasiness when I sort of agree with Lori or other fundies. For example, as a SAHM for many years, I sorta see her point that its better not to put little kids in full-time daycare, if it's at all possible to avoid it. 

And I see her point about the busyness of families where both parents work at high pressure careers. 

Last year I was dropping off some pastries for a teacher celebration week at our school.  There were row upon row of plastic muffin and cookie containers from the supermarket. I brought the only homemade item. (To be fair, I had considered picking something up at the market too)  Anyhow, my thought at the time was, "People are too busy. These teachers deserve better than this."

So I see your point, EowynW. But it sounds like you take a sensible approach to healthy eating, and I bet we could all learn a lot from you. 

I like how there's real practical advice here. How did some of you break away from unhealthy carbs and sugar? I really need to make healthier choices but keep coming back to them when stress :(

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

I always have this guilty uneasiness when I sort of agree with Lori or other fundies. For example, as a SAHM for many years, I sorta see her point that its better not to put little kids in full-time daycare, if it's at all possible to avoid it. 

If we'd have moved to Ontario or Alberta or even New Brunswick, I wouldn't have needed to put our children into some kind of daycare.

However as immigrants, they had to be educated in French since we put them into the education system. Had I chosen to home-school, they would still have needed french at a higher level than I could have taught them .

Learning to speak a different language was essential for them given the environment  we live in. And I've been told from both sides of the language divide how a good part of the kindergarten year can be lost by several students not understanding the simplest instructions in class.

18 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

I like how there's real practical advice here. How did some of you break away from unhealthy carbs and sugar? I really need to make healthier choices but keep coming back to them when stress . 

I tell myself it'll kill me eventually. And I remind myself constantly how much better I feel, not only physically but emotionally and mentally when I eat clean. And that food will not solve anything no matter how much I think it will. 

When I get stressed i eat protein (yoghurt, lunch meat, cheese and nuts) and drink a quart of water. And will have dark chocolate if need be. I also knit or get outside. Taking plenty of magnesium has really helped with cravings. 

I've also learned to make healthy versions of comfort food. I have aced GF/SF cheesecake and chocolate cake  

Its hard. I have 100lbs to lose and it feels like I'm walking to Mordor. But for me it's worth doing because I have such a wonky endocrine system and struggle naturally with anxiety/mild depression  

@EowynW, would you mind telling me what type of magnesium you're taking? I know there's supposedly a good type and a less good type, but I can't remember which is which. All I know is that I was taking the less good type for awhile. Is there really a difference, or is that just hype to get people to buy the more expensive kind? :pb_smile:

3 hours ago, Hisey said:

I worked in a daycare and agree if said parents are caring and loving and able, except for people like Lori. Lori should have put her kids in daycare. I guarantee my co-workers and I gave far more attention to the many babies in our care than Lori has ever given to hers. 

@Sarah92 I think it's individual as what approach works best. For some people slowing cutting back is the best approach while for others cold turkey is the best option. Slowing cutting back usually works best though. If you drink 3 sodas a day and have cookies and chocolate and ice cream, etc, make a plan to cut back one soda and one junk food every couple days and be sure to replace it with something, like an apple or pear and water or juice (low or no added sugar or make your own if replace with juice as some can be nearly as bad as soda). Replacing certain carbs with others and expanding the diet can be helpful. If you eat white bread, try one with more grains, for example. Using beans over meat or using lentils, making rice instead of bread and pasta, using more vegetables in foods, sometimes hiding them in sauces to make them tasty can help too. 

I'd say the best thing is slowly reduce and replace the sugar and carbs and sweets with healthier items and eventually you won't be eating it very often. Of course, sometimes it's okay to dig into that ice cream too. Just sparingly, not daily. 

3 hours ago, Hisey said:

And I see her point about the busyness of families where both parents work at high pressure careers.

Same here. I kind of think it's preferable for childcare to be done by a parent if possible, although I don't see that it must be the mother. But I'm aware that it isn't always possible. One big difference between us and fundies like Lori is we don't insist that everyone has to do it 'our' way. There is no one absolute right way to be a parent. It's more doing the best you can, in the circumstances you have to work with. What works for one family may not be best for another, and Lori simply can't/won't try to understand that. 

Yes, of course, Dairyfreelife--if the parents are caring, loving and able. And not worried sick about finances. And have a decent home and food. I was going to include all that and probably should have. 

43 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

If we'd have moved to Ontario or Alberta or even New Brunswick, I wouldn't have needed to put our children into some kind of daycare.

However as immigrants, they had to be educated in French since we put them into the education system. Had I chosen to home-school, they would still have needed french at a higher level than I could have taught them .

Learning to speak a different language was essential for them given the environment  we live in. And I've been told from both sides of the language divide how a good part of the kindergarten year can be lost by several students not understanding the simplest instructions in class.

Oh, gee, I didn't mean for everyone to start explaining their choices! I know exactly what you mean! A good friend of mine learned English through his daycare. And my own kids went to daycare a couple of mornings per week--as toddlers--simply because I needed a break as a SAHM. They loved it!  I am not against daycare, I thank God it is available. When I was growing up, there really wasn't daycare available, and moms of littles were trapped. If they needed to work to pay the rent, they'd better have a grandma or an aunt ready to help out.

Sorry, I was talking about "in the best of all possible worlds." Lori thinks that everyone can and should make that "best world" scenario happen. I think we all know that life can get in the way of that.

@Sarah92, I second @dairyfreelife's recommendation to go slowly with one change at a time.  Give yourself a chance to get used to it and not feel quite so deprived of a favorite. 

Another bit of advice is to make sure you always have something with you that makes a good, healthy snack.  It's much easier to not get sucked into getting something unhealthy when you have a healthy and yummy option there to snack on!  I like fruit and vegetables a lot (carrot sticks, sometime with hummus, sometimes with ranch yogurt dip, apples, whatever fruit is in season).  I do keep snack size candy bars on my desk, because sometimes just having a little bit of chocolate stems the craving (and some days I'm stressed and eat three of them in a row) - also keeps my coworkers happy!

Portion control is HUGE.  Lori takes it to an extreme, I think, but spending a little time with measuring cups and an inexpensive food scale (mine was like $6 at Bed Bath and Beyond) helps you get a better grip on just how much food you're eating - once you do it for awhile, you can start eye-balling it.  I find it also makes it easier to decide that you're going to splurge on this one thing and then eat other healthy stuff.

When it comes to daycare vs home with a parent/family member, I don’t think one is automatically better than the other- I think it’s about what works best for the family- an individual determination that the rest of us are not and should not be party to. 

I also think that Lori and her fans have zero awareness of childcare options. I selected a family home provider- not a center or facility. My provider provided the same curriculum and educational opportunities as a center (and I would argue even more), healthy meals, and great access to outside play. This was all done in her home with a maximum of 8 children. 

10 hours ago, Red Jumper said:

Is there really no Rufus-emoji? I'd like to pray to our Rufus just in case.

Well, if you search "moose", you can find this :moose: or this :56247880db0dc_moose1:. Not quite Rufus. :)

8 hours ago, Curious said:

a couple things:

1. It's actually 90 minutes to edit your posts :)

Ha! That will teach me to not do my homework. :my_biggrin:

And with regard to daycare; I've been a SAHM all my kids' lives. (I don't consider it brag worthy. I can't earn enough money to do more than just pay for daycare and there's no one in our families who could provide free daily childcare. That could change if I can find a job that only requires me to work during school hours.) 

My 8 year old regularly campaigns for me to go to work so that she can go to a daycare after school.  She's convinced that she's missing out on all the fun and that I'm ruining her life. :pb_lol: She's practicing to be a teenager!

8 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My 8 year old regularly campaigns for me to go to work so that she can go to a daycare after school.  She's convinced that she's missing out on all the fun and that I'm ruining her life. :pb_lol: She's practicing to be a teenager!

Exactly.  Lori doesn't get that many children like to get out with others their age. They like to run and play and socialize.  They don't want to be cooped up in their room so Mom can rest.  

We considered homeschooling, and our children were horrified at the idea. Their first question was, "What about our friends?".  

Today's post:

There is a false and destructive teaching about submission that is prevalent in our day and age

If men want women to submit, they need to make her feel safe (physically and emotionally) and they also need to be dependable in areas such as family income and finances.

Interesting, because if you read closely, you'll see that she's hinting that a woman who feels unsafe physically should still submit.

Of course, the truth is, Lori believes that a submissive wife would never be abused in the first place.  In other words, if you're being abused, it's your fault.

Ken has mentored men who have rebellious wives and he teaches them to only act in a Christian way towards their wives. We have yet to see one of these women submit or begin to be kind to their hard-working, kind husbands. Unless a woman decides to soften her heart and become the wife the Lord has called her to become, there isn’t much a husband can do about it. 

Lori's made this point several times, and I am trying to figure out if she's trying to highlight what a lousy mentor Ken is, or contradict her own assertion that with God, all things are possible.

Either way, it most definitely makes one wonder...  If all of these Command Men are natural born leaders, then why are they always painted as such helpless creatures?  They are powerless in their marriages, they are never to blame for anything, and no matter how poor, their behavior must be excused.  To hear Lori tell it, they are all sitting by helplessly, waiting for a woman to decide to "allow" them to be what God intended.

It’s impossible to stop a woman who decides to be contentious (given to angry debate; quarrelsome, perverse) no matter how badly she is destroying her family. 

Impossible, she says??  Then why tell women to stay in horrific marriages?  Why tell them that all things are possible with God?  

I have seen Lori outright question women's faith if they don't operate on her (Lori's) terms.  "Well, I certainly can't force you to stay with your husband, but if you leave, you are saying that you don't trust God.  With God, all things are possible!" <---paraphrase

Why do men get a pass?  Is God not capable?  Where is Lori's faith?

Lindy (to the woman whose DOCTOR has told her that it's unsafe for her to have another baby):

I think one of satan's most powerful weapons is the fear of "what if". It completely robs our faith. If we are obedient to the Scriptures, we can trust God will care for us and our family through life or death.

She is essentially telling this woman to ignore medical advice and risk her life to have an endless number of babies.  She's telling her- God will take care of your family if you die!  Don't worry about the 3 children you already have.  You need MORE!  More, more, more!  Stop listening to Satan (your doctor), and listen to some brainless moron on the interwebz.

Naturally, she's already responded to today's post as well:

It is just as impossible for our husband's to love us as Christ loves the Church as it is for wives to submit perfectly 100% of the time. These commands are to give us a perfect picture of God's desire for our Marriages, but our sin keeps us from perfection. So if a woman is waiting for her husband to love her perfectly before she will obey, she knows it will never happen and is her justification to live rebellious to the Word of God. Though I often fail in submission, I learn every single day and press toward the mark. My desire to obey God has no prerequisite:"I'll obey IF my husband obeys. " A woman with that attitude does not sound converted.

Yes, the infallible Lindy has no prerequisites for her submission, and she questions the salvation of any woman who isn't exactly like her.  

Yet, how dare she question another person's salvation?  Isn't that God's job?  But she and Lori (and others just like them) do it every day.  They set up "laws" and insist that they are speaking for God, and anyone who disagrees must HATE God and "his ways".  They insist that anyone who doesn't comply must not be saved/converted.  They are hypocrites...pharisees.  It's disgusting.

Ohhhh this is soooo good. The home keeps you out of the sight and praise of men??! LOL, not if you have a blog. In fact, you are in sight of millions of men and we do know they love to praise Lori. Trey, Dave, Jeff. When you have internet you are just as connected to the outside world as you would be if you were outside. 

I might not agree with the interpretation of submission that is more common in normal churches but I don't judge husbands and wives for practicing it. That is not my place. As long as it's in a safe, loving way that allows room for growth and communication I'm perfectly fine with it usually.  But the stuff she preaches, I believe it makes God weep from the distortion of what he intended for marriage. The passages about submission and love I think paint a beautiful picture of a loving, respectful marriage between equal partners. I don't think he intended for women or men to put their lives in danger for a big family or to stay with abusers. 

2 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Exactly.  Lori doesn't get that many children like to get out with others their age. They like to run and play and socialize.  They don't want to be cooped up in their room so Mom can rest.  

We considered homeschooling, and our children were horrified at the idea. Their first question was, "What about our friends?".  

YES! My own children begged me to go to school, go to the Y for after school care, begged me to get a job. They were tired of me being with them 24/7. 

We do what works best for our family and that changes from season to season. I have done it all: homeschool, public school, private school. 

• mango_fandango locked this topic
  • laPapessaGiovanna unlocked and locked this topic

Archived