IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

Usually when we are having people over for food I say something like "I plan to have food on the table around whatever time so feel free to get there any time after whatever time (usually half an hour before estimated food time) 

On the topic of lateness, I'm usually pretty patient with anything less than 10 minutes late and anything consistently that's less than 5. Some people just struggle with being on time and it's not my place to judge. 

But Mr. Mays parents are here and they have been late nearly every morning and it's driving me insane. The past few mornings we have driven 30 mins out of the way in the morning to pick them up and in the evening to drop them off and they have consistently been 10-15 mins late getting into the car (And I mean 10-15 mins of us waiting in the car in the AM. 

It baffles and infuriates me. 

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're almost always late but sadly almost never on purpose.  I can make a point to leave 30 minutes earlier than the GPS calculated time and it never fails, something comes up. Long train, stoplight out at a major intersection, tire pressure light bings on, kiddos who can't find their shoes or forgets they need something for x activity and we have to turn around. But with 4 kids and the fact that our families live 30+ minutes in various directions it's bound to happen. And we aren't the only ones, (my ex BIL and SIL do this too) so our family members have learned to just say arrive between x and y, usually an hour span. That being said, I'm meticulous about letting people know I'm running behind and what my anticipated arrival time will be. 

But say my brother is taking my son to a hockey game and is picking him up at 5? My son is ready and waiting by 4:45. I can get them out on time if I'm not the one driving. 

@Percy - I'm the same on flights. I'll get to the airport super-early too. It's easier for me to relax, knowing I'm already in the airport. I'm pre-check and global entry, so security/immigration lines aren't the pain they could be (except at Newark... blerrrrgggg), but I need to be there with a couple of hours to kill. I'll generally grab a bite to eat at one of the airport restaurants, which have increased in quality (and quantity) over the past couple of decades. Overseas, I'll roam the duty-free shops.

Even if I didn't go to the airport early, I'd have that much time to kill at home (or in a hotel), and that's just not my style. 

18 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Percy - I'm the same on flights. I'll get to the airport super-early too. It's easier for me to relax, knowing I'm already in the airport. I'm pre-check and global entry, so security/immigration lines aren't the pain they could be (except at Newark... blerrrrgggg), but I need to be there with a couple of hours to kill. I'll generally grab a bite to eat at one of the airport restaurants, which have increased in quality (and quantity) over the past couple of decades. Overseas, I'll roam the duty-free shops.

Even if I didn't go to the airport early, I'd have that much time to kill at home (or in a hotel), and that's just not my style. 

I didn't realise how barren US airports were before I went and got there as early as I would at Gatwick or Heathrow. As a veggie there was next to no food I could eat so I was hungry and bored. Guess I learnt my lesson that there is such a thing as too early.

I am the sort of person who gets to the train station half an hour early on the off chance things are running off time though, tends to work in my favour usually. One of my friends was always late - she managed to be 3 hours late from an 8 minute train ride once, that was the final straw before I told her to get wherever it was an hour early. I love her, but boy is she disorganised.

I used to work at the airport and based on my experience being super early is the best thing you can do. I had my share of telling late passengers they cannot board the plane and that the lines at the security and passport control are not our problem. We had to have the plane in air on time, or else our company got a fine. So. I never want to be one of those passengers. I tend to reach the airport at least 2,5 hours before flight... And I usually don't even have any luggage to check in. (FYI if you ever travel from Warsaw airport, spare yourself the nerves and be there as early as possible. Too many passengers, too little space & employees. Last minute check-in can end up badly).

Otherwise, I try to be punctual, but it doesn't always work out. I usually am no more then 10-15 mins late. 

4 hours ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

And I usually don't even have any luggage to check in

I never check a bag. I do two weeks in Europe (even in the winter) with a carry on and a personal item. 

10 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I never check a bag. I do two weeks in Europe (even in the winter) with a carry on and a personal item. 

My friend is the same way. He went to Israel for 8 days with only a carry-on. He was staying with his aunt's family so he was able to wash his clothes. 

I am in absolute awe of those of you who can do the carry on only thing! I've spent quite a bit of time on pinterest figuring out ways to do this! I like to think my inability to carry on is due to the medical supplies I need to take but in reality it's also very much about needing jeans and shoes for every occasion!

I'm another early bird, it's a throwback to being a child and my lovely dad was almost always late to everything. I get anxious at the thought of being late and although i'm much more chilled out now i'm the person at the airport or train station with good time to spare. I don't turn up early to other peoples houses though but will get there and sit in the car until the right time.

Random thoughts or my bad attempt to catch up.

I'm another person who likes to be early to the airport. I wander, read newspaper headlines, visit all the stores (especially in Orlando)....Newark is hell. You want to be early for that one. I have a local Primark about 20 minutes away.

If you want to work on your timeliness, become a teacher, you live by the damn clock. Of course you also learn to eat super fast so no judgement on that from me, lol! 

I'm an on time person stuck with a not on time family.....

5 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

If you want to work on your timeliness, become a teacher, you live by the damn clock. Of course you also learn to eat super fast so no judgement on that from me, lol! 

Got offered a job as a teacher two days ago... I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the indigestion.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:28 AM, bekkah said:

Hello Fellow  MN! I would say we in MN are the punctual type of people to. It deals with all that German/Scandinavian blood. I would never think of being late to things, my dad has ADHD and it drove me up the wall that I was always an hour late for 1st grade.  Made me an extra punctual adult though. 

Minnesotan, can confirm. 

My coworker is talking about her plans to leave work and get to the airport to make her flight. This would be the day before Thanksgiving. Even listening to the small amount of time she’s allowing herself at the airport is making me nervous. 

I was trained to arrive at airports like 4 hours early, because in the words of my diagnosed-OCD mom, "better to fret at the airport than in traffic or at home". When I went to Malaysia and took a puddle-jumper flight from Kuala Lumpur's domestic airport to Langkawi, the desk guy at the airport took a look at my flight time on my ticket and said "your flight isn't for three hours, lah! Come back in two hours, what are you doing here so early?" I didn't feel like springing for another cab back to the city center or like getting stressed out even with the desk guy's reassurances, so I just ate some surprisingly good noodles at the food court and read a book until it was time to get on the plane.

4 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Just stopping in to share this absurd article.   C' mon!  Basic facts are ignored like Jessa's birth with Spurgie.  Lazy!

http://celebrityinsider.org/counting-on-stars-joy-anna-duggar-and-austin-forsyth-opting-for-a-home-birth-82100/

Haha it was a pretty strange article, basically some Duggars have a history of homebirth so maybe Joy will try for one. No new or surprising information there.

I wonder if their house is finished being renovated - could they have a homebirth if they wanted?

9 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I'll just leave this here, supposedly at Fort Rock for Joy's birthday

Screenshot_20171105-011350.jpg

Aren't they an adorable little redneck couple, between this and their rodeo night out.  I guess they seem to enjoy all this but man rodeos are awful But then everything this family does is awful. 

48 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Aren't they an adorable little redneck couple, between this and their rodeo night out.  I guess they seem to enjoy all this but man rodeos are awful But then everything this family does is awful. 

Wait - don’t you remember that story in the bible where Jesus body slams a 2 month old calf to the ground and hog-ties all his legs together while people look on and cheer?? 

No?? 

17 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

Got offered a job as a teacher two days ago... I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the indigestion.

What grade? The younger the kids the more they leak. Of course I loved my kid when she was tiny, but sweet Rufus, I felt like I was always cleaning part of her up.

9 minutes ago, Cassia said:

Wait - don’t you remember that story in the bible where Jesus body slams a 2 month old calf to the ground and hog-ties all his legs together while people look on and cheer?? 

No?? 

They're obviously just not reading the Psychotic Bastard Translation!

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Fake western decor. Yee Haa!:dramallama-nanner:

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They're obviously just not reading the Psychotic Bastard Translation!

Ah ha, I always felt that the KJV was lacking a certain something - now I know, not enough psychotic bastard! 

4 minutes ago, Cassia said:

Ah ha, I always felt that the KJV was lacking a certain something - now I know, not enough psychotic bastard! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived