IGNORED

At least 20 dead, 100 injured at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

bashfulpixie

This is #VegasSTRONG
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/50-las-vegas-businesses-raising-money-helping-those-affected/
We moved here three years ago. We went through some seriously tough times after we moved here but we discovered there's more to Las Vegas than the bright lights of the strip. This city is amazing. Since so few are "natives", you are immediately welcomed into the community. What happened last Sunday has turned the whole city upside down. I mean, the threat is known and is realized by everyone...heck, it's almost a joke at times, but we're always aware that we're a target for those who would harm as many as possible. Hotels have literally thousands of rooms per hotel, millions of people come to visit us yearly. I mean, when I lived on the east coast, I had hoped to maybe one day come here for a visit, just to see what I'd seen on TV. Now, it's literally just a few miles from me. I'd seen documentaries on the Hoover Dam...I'd always wanted to see it. Now it's an hour away. We're thinking of going back later this year...it's just very cool in person. 
I just get SO pissed at the bullshit conspiracy theories I see on the 'net and TV. That's why I keep saying not to believe anything unless it comes from Metro. Yeah, some of the cops are shits and utter assholes, but the ones I know are crushed and hurting (there's quite a few that belong to our church). Their motto is "Serve and Protect"...they weren't able to protect anyone that night and it is hurting them. One EMT I know, who was a medic in Iraq, said Sunday night was worse than anything he saw in combat. Unfreaking believable. But...Vegas is strong. Life goes on and we're trying to go back to "normal". As far as I know, no events have been cancelled although most have evacuation plans in place. 
So...if you're thinking of coming here...come on! 
It really is an amazing City.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Did anyone catch this? Our friend Kellyanne is circling this around to Obama, placing blame on him for the ATF not regulating "bumps" in 2010. 

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/10/05/kellyanne-conway-vegas-gun-control-trump-newday.cnn

I had the pleasure of viewing that earlier today. When did she crawl out of her hole?  I haven’t seen her for a while. She makes me want to throw things. 

I think it might actually depend on the citizens. Trump showed little concern for people run down by white supremacists. If someone had gunned down tons of people at a liberal rally, I really doubt it would make his blood boil even a tiny bit. If this had been a group of Americans who just happened to also be Muslim, I also think his reaction would be different. 
Yes, Trump behaved in a fairly appropriate manner this time, which shows he is capable of doing that. Which means that all the times he has reacted to tragedy inappropriately he was doing that by choice. 
I don't think he would have been welcomed by a protestor. I am doubtful he would have been happy or hateful that lives were lost, that children lost parents, etc.

It seems important to point out that I am specifically talking about this particular event and how as far as I can tell, I think his behavior was on note this time around. It would be nice to see this Trump. More than that, I don't want to diminish anything about these victims or this event with other events. I am happy these folks were treated right by the President. That's the way it should be.

I think it is easy to think any other way because we have become a bit numb to.these events, so we forget that the people in this hospital were victims and in this situation, victims were treated right. I am okay with that. I can't even imagine the sheer terror people felt in those moments.

We travel to Vegas with KIDS at times. It is unfathomable to even imagine anything like that. :(

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Did anyone catch this? Our friend Kellyanne is circling this around to Obama, placing blame on him for the ATF not regulating "bumps" in 2010. 

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/10/05/kellyanne-conway-vegas-gun-control-trump-newday.cnn

Yes I read that in the WoPo. Fuck faces all of them. They want no regulations on guns and blame Obama for not regulating guns.  :smiley-signs131:

Trump has said some remarkably stupid stuff even about Las Vegas (calling it a "miracle" was a weird thing to say) so I'm not impressed by him at all, but I am glad he managed to act like a decent human for a few hours.

5 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

I understand now. Sorry for reading that wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were being malicious.

No worries. This is the internet so we can't see or hear tone, facial expression and body language cues. I've misinterpreted people many times in forums. Just the nature of them I suppose.  Anyway, I'm good.   Well not good about the shootings.. but shit I'd better stop now before I stick my foot back in my mouth again. 

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Trump has said some remarkably stupid stuff even about Las Vegas (calling it a "miracle" was a weird thing to say) so I'm not impressed by him at all, but I am glad he managed to act like a decent human for a few hours.

I guess our standards are so low that we will give him a gold star for not insulting victims this time.

10 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

He also said it was the worst day of his life, because as we know it is all about him.

Just remember y'all...Trump has not been able to use his NV gaming license. He has one but he has such a shitty track record that there's no way he'd be allowed to have any gaming in his hotel. Its known he's a crook and after his Atlantic City debacles, yeah...no. He's not terribly well thought of around here. Even the "conservatives" aren't fond of him. We did not watch his speech here, vomiting isn't my thing. Yeah, he may have been able to be "nice" but his heart is known...black and evil. There was a lot of talk on FB about his visit...that we don't need him here, we've got things under control all on our own. It didn't take 24 hours for the gofundme (started by our sheriff and a county commissioner who both put in 10 grand to start it off) to reach it's initial goal of 500K. They kept upping the goal and I think it's pushing 10 million now (haven't looked in awhile). There's talk that Floyd Meriweather has pledged 10 million of his personal funds (I believe it, he's known for that). The Adelson family and Sands hotels have given millions. There's enough to pay ALL the medical bills for all 600 victims. I know Metro has pledged serious $$ to the family of the officer that was killed. We don't need that piece of shit or any of his cronies. We've got this, we're taking care of our own. Neither hubs nor I can donate blood (which kills us) so we've taken cases of water to the donation sites and to a drop off they had on Monday for the investigating officers. Yeah...we've got this. There's 2 million people in the metro area and I really think that all 2 million have done something. There's even stories of people who have come into town for one reason or another going and donating blood at our blood  bank. 

Anyway...tldr: cheeto can stay the hell home. 

21 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

He also said it was the worst day of his life, because as we know it is all about him.

He's really good about making things about him. His first reaction ro 9/11 was to say that now he had the tallest tower in the city.

@SilverBeach, I am laughing that there is a "Bless your heart" emoji.

Sorry if that post was weird. Trump visiting victims just isn't the worst thing to come from Vegas. It really isn't even close, so I am not complaining.

@OtterRuletheWorld, I'm still confused why you think his blood would boil when Americans get attacked after he basically said the Charlottesville victims were just as bad as the KKK and insulted the mother of the woman who died there so much that she wouldn't even meet with him? He has it in him to be pretty damn hateful when people he doesn't like are victims. 

Trump being nice this time is great, they deserve that, but evidence shows that he picks and chooses which American victims he will be decent towards. He was downright nasty to the Americans of PR just this week. I know that is a different sort of tragedy, but lives have been totally destroyed and people died, American people, and he gave literally no fucks. 

Regarding the media's role in this, let me piggy back off of feministxtian and add my own experience with them to tell you exactly what is happening right now.

They are full of shit and talk just to hear themselves.

Sorry if you work with a broadcast network, national, local, or international, but my experiences during Pulse and other crises I've managed have been that most networks spout shit, spread fear, and will deliberately share information that directly contradicts what our organization put in print and in pressers multiple times. Not only that, but they repeat each other so once one is incorrect, they all are. As an org, our efforts to correct went largely unheard or were outright ignored. Do not pay attention to what they are saying if you want accurate information.

I repeat, Do. Not. Pay. Attention. To the media. If you want accurate information.

Who should you follow?

As feministxtian said, LVMPD, for starters. I'd also suggest the county, the FBI, UMCSN, Sunrise, and other area organizations that are directly involved in response and assistance.

The media is good for a lot of things but accurate disaster messaging is NOT one of them.

Sis FF, who specializes in crisis/disaster comm

56 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

He's really good about making things about him. His first reaction ro 9/11 was to say that now he had the tallest tower in the city.

That sound  you hear is me banging my head into the wall.... again. :tw_angry:

30 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Regarding the media's role in this, let me piggy back off of feministxtian and add my own experience with them to tell you exactly what is happening right now.

They are full of shit and talk just to hear themselves.

Sorry if you work with a broadcast network, national, local, or international, but my experiences during Pulse and other crises I've managed have been that most networks spout shit, spread fear, and will deliberately share information that directly contradicts what our organization put in print and in pressers multiple times. Not only that, but they repeat each other so once one is incorrect, they all are. As an org, our efforts to correct went largely unheard of were outright ignored. Do not pay attention to what they are saying if you want accurate information.

I repeat, Do. Not. Pay. Attention. To the media. If you want accurate information.

Who should you follow?

As feministxtian said, LVMPD, for starters. I'd also suggest the county, the FBI, UMCSN, Sunrise, and other area organizations that are directly involved in response and assistance.

The media is good for a lot of things but accurate disaster messaging is NOT one of them.

Sis FF, who specializes in crisis/disaster comm

Yes! Regarding disaster, they simply cannot ever be trusted. They are all racing to get the news, to get a story and disinformation becomes very real. I truly believe this often leads to half the conspiracy stuff we hear. This time the LVMPD, etc, happen to be seeming very capable of dealing with the media. Which has caused them to freak out and go into a worse tailspin of disinformation.

They just want a story, so anything Vegas related is going to get spread, regardless of validity. It becomes pure madness when you turn on ANY network and each are trying to keep their stories straight as new info comes to light. It is even more astonishing when you flip through news networks and sites. Overwhelming and confusing. Totally a breeding ground for conspiracy theories.

I am not faulting the LVMPD. AT ALL. Right now, I have absolutely no reason to not be behind them 100%.

Trump may have been on a tight leash and said all the right things during his visit to Las Vegas. All I know is, if I were a family member of a deceased person, or if I were in the hospital there, he is the last person I would want to see.  If the people he visited gained something, then that’s great. I hope they did. I wouldn’t have. 

Ugh, yes. I typically don't watch the news (no television, but I do the quick one-over online), but this morning I was at a medical facility getting a test run and I was watching the Today Show. I was thoroughly disgusted by their coverage; one of the segments was a man who was sent to Vegas to broadcast from a hotel room like the one that Paddock was in. He made the astounding revelation that he put up the "do not disturb" tag so that housekeeping wouldn't walk on his arsenal. Then there was a segment about putting bomb sniffing dogs in hotel lobbies. Both ridiculous and unnecessary stories that just serve to keep the public's attention and create tension that'll make them money. 

4 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

I don't think he would have been welcomed by a protestor. I am doubtful he would have been happy or hateful that lives were lost, that children lost parents, etc.

Have you not been paying attention to his behavior until now? Yes, he behaved properly in this situation, but why are you so focused on it? You only have to look at at earlier this week (Tuesday) to see he is a racist jerk. I can't help but ask if you are a Trump fan.

@FundieFarmer thank you...I've already seen loads and loads of bullshit being spread on Facebook and our favorite "The Inquisitor". It makes me SOOOOO mad! 

A friend was at the Apple Store at Caesar's when the shit hit the fan. There was a bunch of confusion at first as to what was going on, as there is with any insane situation. However, there's already the conspiracy theories that there really were shooters at the Cosmo (which is about 2 miles north of Mandalay Bay) and other places (which is bullshit). Some of the more conservative among us are actually falling for this shit and discounting everything Sheriff Lombardo has said. I mean, seriously, if you want the straight story, talk to the guy who's essentially leading the LVMPD investigation, ya know? 

Have you not been paying attention to his behavior until now? Yes, he behaved properly in this situation, but why are you so focused on it? You only have to look at at earlier this week (Tuesday) to see he is a racist jerk. I can't help but ask if you are a Trump fan.

No, no, no... I am just not going to feign outrage at this issue. He isn't my concern in Vegas. It was good that it went well. Vegas doesn't need added issues.

6 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

I am just not going to feign outrage at this issue

You haven't just not feigned outrage, you have claimed that his blood would boil if Americans were attacked when clearly that isn't true based on his past behavior. 

14 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Of course it is Obama's fault! Everything is either his fault or Hillary's. I don't know why it surprised me they managed to turn this into a blame Obama thing. I'm surprised they didn't blame the hurricanes on him too. 

You haven't just not feigned outrage, you have claimed that his blood would boil if Americans were attacked when clearly that isn't true based on his past behavior. 
I don't want to compare attacks, but maybe I was wrong to say that. I am sorry I even mentioned other attacks because my intent was not to compare. In fact, I was referring to all Presidents when mentioning blood boiling.

During my lifetime, I have seen outrage over how a president reacted to many different victims of many different events. Other times, I have seen praise.

I also didn't mean for it to be an ongoing discussion of Trump. I was merely wondering if any victims turned him away and when I searched for an answer, I found the response to his visit was overwhelmingly positive. Since the media really doesn't sing a lot of praise to Trump, I felt it was noteworthy.

Otherwise, I don't think Trump is relevant in regards to Paddock or the investigation. His visit merely provided a few uplifting moments during a really awful time. I simply cannot in good conscience, fault him for his visit.

I have a lot to say about Trump, but I don't feel this is the appropriate moment to discuss.
Of course it is Obama's fault! Everything is either his fault or Hillary's. I don't know why it surprised me they managed to turn this into a blame Obama thing. I'm surprised they didn't blame the hurricanes on him too. 
Well, the correct answer is that this isn't Obama, Hillary, Bush, Trump, Clinton (the President) or anyone else's fault other than Paddock's and anyone who possibly helped him in anyway. Nobody forced Paddock to be one of the most disgusting people in American history and murder as many people as he possibly could.

Archived