IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

Do fundies know the seven deadly sins and understand them as such?

Derick has broken more than one. Take your pick and make your case. Lol

Pride

Avarice

Lust

Anger

Greed

Envy

Sloth

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is wrong with him? I am bewildered that he would repost the grifting page. Unless he posted the original and then never bothered to check it/only had donation notifications and then received another when the page was taken down?

Even that is totally unlikely, especially considering the bombardment of negative comments also on his and Jill's social media.

I'm beginning to really believe that there was almost definitely some kind of intervening by Jim Bob. Jill is miserable and scared so daddy puts his foot down and refuses to continue supporting them in their mansion with their fancy cars if Dwreck continues to insist on being a "missionary" overseas. Dwreck is told to get a job or find his own funding for the missioncations and Cross Church just happens to have this program. JB will support Jill and the grandkids but will have no part in Dwreck's "career". 

Proves that the whole headship deal is nonsense but I could see something along those lines happening.

I'm kind of torn on this. I don't think Jim Bob was thrilled about their "mission" in Central America and I can definitely believe he'd prefer them living close to home. But I also think he buys into all the patriarchy bullshit about the transfer of authority. He no longer has authority over Jill, Derick does. Derick is her headship, which is a role ordained by God, and he makes the decisions for their family unit. On the other hand, Jim Bob enjoys running his family like his own little fiefdom. I could see there being an internal battle between JB's fundamentalist beliefs and his desire for control (plus his love for his daughter, which I think is very real).

Or he may have had nothing to do with it. I find the theory that SOS basically fired them and they had no choice but to return to Arkansas to be pretty believable.

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

Not to mention, he has no idea what Labor Day is really about.

Doesn't Labor Day have something to do with labor riots? Off to Google I go. 

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

I've just learned something. FJ is good. Scrub is a brilliant word for a deadbeat male. 

Another good word for Derick: triflin'

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Or he may have had nothing to do with it. I find the theory that SOS basically fired them and they had no choice but to return to Arkansas to be pretty believable.

I figure SOS fired them and then JB/TLC refused to make up the difference between what SOS provided and what they had grifted themselves. It's a nice, backhanded way for JB to assert control (or also to help Jill; I agree the two aren't mutually exclusive) while maintaining the headship facade. "Oh, well, you're the headship of the family, so if you want to go on overseas missions, you need to provide the funds yourself-- and you know I don't have much to do with those TLC folks these days, but you can always try talking to them yourself," knowing full well that Derick doesn't have the income and TLC would nope the fuck out of paying for all of their mission-cation-related expenses. 

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Another good word for Derick: triflin'

I prefer: shiftless.

You know what would be a redemptive storyline? Derick and Jill sorting donations, Jessa & Joy leading the J boys on a dig through the warehouses for donations and JD flying everyone down to meet Jeremy's GCC group in boots on the ground mission labor. I won't even care if they shill ALERT like it's their holy calling, espousing all of the disaster relief training they received.

But they'll probably just pray for everyone instead.

@singsingsing from experience this is how I've seen the "transfer of authority" go. The daughter marries and she is considered under her husband's care except in areas that overlap with HER parent's *cough* father's *cough* (and the husband's parents don't count) interests, because of that verse in the Bible:

Ephesians 6:1-4 ESV 

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

However, when I asked about why that second half about provoking was being overlooked, I was told it wasn't as important because it was only mentioned once and the honoring the parents was mentioned more often. 

Faithfulness to parents was topmost, and the leave and cleave bit always had a fluid definition that applied to everything, but parents. 

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yep, people are complex. It's entirely possible for Jeremy to be motivated both by ambition and by genuine concern. You can be a douchebag and still do positive things (see: Lawson Bates).

This is a very good description of him. I commend him for physically helping people in need, but I'm still aware of and hate his awful beliefs.

4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

If Dwreck had anything about him at all, he would be on a plane to meet Jeremy now. He (may) not be physically strong but even he could stand in a field kitchen, make soup, serve etc. He would have to keep his mouth shut though.  People who have lost everything do not need to listen to his 'religious' ranting. 

But serving people is women's work!

17 minutes ago, cascarones said:

You know what would be a redemptive storyline? Derick and Jill sorting donations, Jessa & Joy leading the J boys on a dig through the warehouses for donations and JD flying everyone down to meet Jeremy's GCC group in boots on the ground mission labor. I won't even care if they shill ALERT like it's their holy calling, espousing all of the disaster relief training they received.

But they'll probably just pray for everyone instead.

That's an amazing idea. They could help so many people with all their clothes, toys, etc they have in their warehouses. I bet they wouldn't miss anything they donate, and don't even realize how much they have. But I can't see them doing that. Even though it's totally something Jesus would do.

Just got back from our interfaith picnic. We had various Christian denominations,  Jewish, Islam and a wannabe Buddhist. (One of my friends.) Would you have come Derick? You would have been welcome.

The sad part about all of this is that Derick likely sees all the negative responses as evidence that he's doing right. The world will hate you and all that. 

Fundies are lucky. They know they do right when they are praised and they know they do wright when they are criticized. 

20 hours ago, feministxtian said:

***in a horrible, horrible mood right now, pissed off beyond reality at fucking neighbors and I'm out of my meds (and my medicaid got cancelled because we're over the income limit). No meds = depression masquerading as a horrendously pissed off mood. 

Totally not related to this thread at all and you may already be aware of this, but some meds are $4/30 days (without insurance) at various pharmacies. There are also a few websites that can compare prices between pharmacies, and a pharmacy discount card can sometimes help lower the price, too. And if your med is one of those that's super expensive, it may be worth trying one of the cheaper options, at least temporarily until you have insurance coverage again.

Not sure if that helps but I figured it was worth a shot.

I've dealt with depression for a while... I can relate to the crappy, horrible mood feeling. Hope things start looking up for you soon. 

They acknowledged moving and his ministry track.

http://www.dillardfamily.com/2017/9/september-family-update

Dillard Family Update—September 4, 2017

Things have been super busy for us over the last month as we have moved, Derick has started Cross Church School of Ministry, and his ministry track (international student ministry at the University of Arkansas through our church’s college “C3” ministry) has gotten into full swing with all the students arriving on campus only a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Do fundies know the seven deadly sins and understand them as such?

Derick has broken more than one. Take your pick and make your case. Lol

Pride

Avarice

Lust

Anger

Greed

Envy

Sloth

Check, check, check,  check, check,  check aaaand check. Yup 

There was bad flooding in my area a few days ago, and the Muslim community here really stepped up and helped out a large group of mostly single mothers and their kids living in social housing who lost a lot of their possessions. They donated money along with gift cards for food and school supplies, and went out to help with the clean-up. Derick could learn a thing or two from them.

What the actual fuck? This sentence has me and my PMS hormones completely enraged!

From their blog post:

"Last night, we were able to have a Muslim family into our home for an American dinner"

What is an American dinner? Are these Muslims not American? Muslim is not a nationality!!!! 

:huh:

59 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

They also talked about converting some muslims :dislike:

notice the "sister" is accompanying a woman who can never look after her own kids and invites strangers into her home 

good and safe 

7 minutes ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

What is an American dinner? 

tator tot casserole ? 

13 minutes ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

What the actual fuck? This sentence has me and my PMS hormones completely enraged!

From their blog post:

"Last night, we were able to have a Muslim family into our home for an American dinner"

What is an American dinner? Are these Muslims not American? Muslim is not a nationality!!!! 

:huh:

Their ignorance is showing.

The mental image of some lady taking her kid down to the park only to get pestered by some doofuses asking her to "c'mon over and see how we eat here in AMERICA" is giving me physical pain!

The new blog just reiterates that they are still completely clueless. As if a few pictures of Derick on campus and the weird "American dinner" that they so generously shared :my_angel: with a Muslim family is not proof that they are worthy of over 6k of donations, How about starting with showing the receipts for DFM?

Hey Derick you know lots of people go back to school, it's genrally seen as a positive thing. Most do it while holding down a paying job (or 2) and/or have a family, and do so without asking for donations!

Honestly when I read "american dinner" I was like chickenetti.

I'm also feeling sorry for all the international students that have to interact with Dwreck.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived