IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

33 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

am I a bad person if I say I'm celebrating the d-wreck new debacle on fundaraising? :giggle:

No, because no one wants missionaries to harass other communities. It would be mean to celebrate Derrick coming down with an illness, but the public telling him they aren't interested in funding his missions, I think you are ok ;)

There are ways to intelligently contribute to communities in need, but they almost always require skills. If Derick was teaching English and Jill had gone through a real training program and could legally practice as a midwife, I could see there value abroad. But as it stands, Derrick just wants to play white savior and Jill spends most of her time living in fear for her white children. There is no reason for anyone to sponsor them.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derick, if I were a Duggar fan, don't you think I'd rather give to Jinger and Jeremy's preferred charity today? How can you compete with this?

Grace Community Church Laredo

Yesterday at 5:07am · 

Tomorrow morning, a team from our church here in Laredo will be heading North to join Thirsty Ground International's Relief Team in Katy, Texas. Thirsty Ground Intl. is a wonderful church-based non-profit ministry based in Corpus Christi, Texas, 3 1/2 hours from the Houston area. In recent years, Pastor Vuolo has travelled with Thirsty Ground to Asia, as well as the Middle East, to participate in Disaster Relief.

If you or your church is desiring to support these relief efforts, please consider Thirsty Ground Intl. They are non-profit and not a single person is paid anything from the tax-deductible gifts that go to Thirsty Ground. Every dollar given will go directly and immediately to purchase needed materials such as food, water, diapers, clothing, non-perishable food, tools, and all that is needed in such relief work.

jeremy wraps his grifting into a pretty package with everything pretty while Derick is like the wrapping is newspaper and he stuck the newspaper with salvia - that is his grifting way

it's obvious and I wonder how each feels 

and that photo from Jill's instagram account. That stove doesn't look like the pool house 

"The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor." (Proverbs 22:9)

I just don't think seeking funding to attend a mission college falls under a charity. Seriously, they went from not going to CA to we are going to a very non-fundie church, so fund us here.  I mean, Come on!

Just now, singsingsing said:

"The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor." (Proverbs 22:9)

:clap:That needs to be posted on Jill's IG. Dare ya!:dramallama-nanner:

59 minutes ago, nst said:

jeremy wraps his grifting into a pretty package with everything pretty while Derick is like the wrapping is newspaper and he stuck the newspaper with salvia - that is his grifting way

it's obvious and I wonder how each feels 

and that photo from Jill's instagram account. That stove doesn't look like the pool house 

I agree that Jeremy is image-conscious and definitely working to promote a brand. However, it is possible for him to do some good things in the world at the same time. Volunteering his labor for disaster relief is a good example of that - Jeremy is a physically strong young man, and I'm sure there's a lot he could contribute. That's much more than I can say about the Dillards' time in Central America. Even if Derick had been teaching English, that would still be of dubious value IMHO (it's highly unlikely that people in a poor, rural area would find employment where that would be of use).  

It would be different, of course, if Jeremy were asking for contributions to Vuolo Ministries™  to support his personal expenses during disaster recovery efforts, rather than giving directly to a charity. And come to think of it, that would still come off better than Derick asking for donations to support his year of religious study and "ministry" to college students (?!?!) in Arkansas - especially at a time when so many are suffering and in need of immediate help in the state right next door.

Side note: Religious-based groups often do a lot of important volunteer work in disaster recovery and other events like humanitarian crises. I am not religious FWIW, but I've worked a lot with at-risk immigrants and seen how groups like Catholic Charities serve on the front lines, albeit sometimes imperfectly.

Yep, people are complex. It's entirely possible for Jeremy to be motivated both by ambition and by genuine concern. You can be a douchebag and still do positive things (see: Lawson Bates).

2 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Aww! Isn't this nice of the Dillard's to wish us a Happy Labor Day! 

Grifting is really hard work. He needs a break.

22 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

But, but, they gave away donuts, once, which they got for free, and wanted a picture to show how generous they were...yeah. Nothing's changed.

42 minutes ago, Dugg@rTime said:

:clap:That needs to be posted on Jill's IG. Dare ya!:dramallama-nanner:

Yes, I doubt they've heard this, since they (Jill and Derick) let the poor bring them fruit and vegetables.

I most certainly don't wish mental illness on anyone, and I also most certainly don't wish children to be raised in an unstable environment, so for those reasons alone, I hope Derick gets some help, or Jill is wise enough to know when it is time to cut bait and run. 

But,  aside from that, bring it on Derick.  Let the light shine clearly on your grifting and lazy nature.  This bad PR will spill over the full family.   The sooner this family loses its position of privilege and fame the better.  Their message is malignant.   Fundamental religions never bring the world to a better place. 

Col 3:23

Commentary from Matthew Henry about the verse that Derick chose to post on Twitter. 

It refers to slaves who know the Lord , to work as if they are working for the Lord, to have a good attitude and work diligently as if working for the Lord.

Matthew Henry quote " They must be both just and diligent; without selfish designs, or hypocrisy and disguise. Those who fear God, will be just and faithful when from under their master's eye, because they know they are under the eye of God. And do all with diligence, not idly and slothfully; cheerfully, not discontented at the providence of God which put them in that relation."

I have to shake my head at the verses he chooses to post. He posts them in complete ignorance of context which only takes a few minutes on Google.  

And again he is completely  so arrogantly blind to put himself in that verse considering, he is idle, selfish, fully of hypocrisy  making himself out to be something he is not.

5 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

I am stunned at the stupidity of the Dillards.  They will never get it.  Did they think the response would be different this time?   

They both sound stupid, and thick as a sack of  flour. Surely J-B can see that this whole debacle isn't doing their 'brand' any good? 

We don't care about their brand but J-B surely must. Umpteen grands already here, umpteen more to arrive in the near future. He has to feed them, not Dwreck. I really can't see him being chuffed with his old prayer partner. His over lacquered head must be spinning slightly???

6 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

They both sound stupid, and thick as a sack of  flour. Surely J-B can see that this whole debacle isn't doing their 'brand' any good? 

We don't care about their brand but J-B surely must. Umpteen grands already here, umpteen more to arrive in the near future. He has to feed them, not Dwreck. I really can't see him being chuffed with his old prayer partner. His over lacquered head must be spinning slightly???

I most certainly hope so.  I hope they are discussing it as we write this.  I think that fake smile JB wears on TV probably covers up a face that is serious most of the time.  JB is a tool, but his grift game is top notch.  He won't stand for this amateur crap.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Oh but the Dillards DID give free donuts (that were also free to the Ds) to the poor!1!1!1!

Of course I'd forgotten about the pirate donut day thing. (Not sure we have them over here) but it's talk like a pirate day soon (19th September) Is that when the free donuts happen, and if so it's another opportunity to give to the poor!

The Dillards are so gracious and generous!  hat was sarcasm, in case you were in doubt. I couldn't find a suitable smilie to convey this.

If Dwreck had anything about him at all, he would be on a plane to meet Jeremy now. He (may) not be physically strong but even he could stand in a field kitchen, make soup, serve etc. He would have to keep his mouth shut though.  People who have lost everything do not need to listen to his 'religious' ranting. 

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Grifting is really hard work. He needs a break.

Not to mention, he has no idea what Labor Day is really about.

Given the thread title I would like to bestow a big fat F of a grade on his grifting. Dillard Family Ministries is toast, and now two TOS violations for his newest grifter adventure..

Happy Labor Day you scrub! :playful2:

4 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Happy Labor Day you scrub! :playful2:

Ode to Derick Dillard: 

Meanwhile, this should be Jill's ode to her grifting husband:

Spoiler

We had an accidental chicken pox party in 1982. I was doing day care at the time.  I would watch 1 little girl  5 afternoons a week, and 2 brothers a couple of days a week. We had 2 kids of our own. One morning a friend called, desperate, her regular sitter couldn't watch her 2 kids, would I  pleeeeease watch her kids, even though I had fired her as a client because her older kid was horribly mean to the other younger kids, including biting my oldest.   Anyway, like a fool, I agreed. They showed up, so I had   7 kids there 5  and under. Her little girl had what looked like a bug bite near her eye, i thought nothing of it until lunchtime when I set her in the high chair and saw she was covered in pox.  I called mom to come get her and we dealt with weeks of chicken pox. My poor 18 month old was so covered, and so sick.

I don't understand how cross church is willing to be associated with this PR trainwreck.  I understand they can't stop him from attending church nor would that be a "Christian" thing to do but he doesn't have to be a team member for retreats.  He's a loose cannon and completely unaware of self.  I can't imagine that is a good image for the church. 

If he's willing to pay Cross $6500, I doubt they'll turn him away. Hopefully his notoriety and chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome will keep future churches from funding him for missions, which means the $6500 will be a waste anyway.

Not much come between evangelical churches and money...

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived