IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

Dark circles under Izzies eyes could be any number of things allergies, asthma, anemia. And he's always appeared to be quite fair skinned to me which would make them more obvious. Mr. May has asthma and allergies and had dark circles under his eyes for years  (poor kid to look at his childhood photos you would think he never slept) 

I'm conflicted on this latest "ministry" that the Dillards appear to be embarking on. I'm thrilled to see them out of SCA, Jill looks like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders and I think it will be nice for Sammy and Izzie to have more opportunities for socialization. But I'm not sure that a post secondary ministry is the best fit, not only are they hardly qualified but how are they relatable to the young adults that they are leading? They just seem so detached from these post secondary students that they are leading. I guess Dwreck has some experience to go from but his past few years have definitely put a gap between him and the experiences of these students. 

Maybe I'm just bitter because post secondary education is a field I would love to get into (and as a church goer post secondary ministry is something I would love doing) so seeing them so easily jump into it is hard. 

In any case it will be interesting to see how things pan out, especially since if they are indeed on the payroll they will (very likely) be expected to be positive and accurate representatives of the church itself and I can't see them being able to hold their tongues enough to do that. Even if Cross Church is fundie light (they did have students in short shorts) I can't see them supporting the Dillards if the reputation of the church is being compromised. 

(Apologies if none of this makes sense....sleep is hard to come by) 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork than attend one of those ministry gatherings and listen to anything Derick has to say (okay, I might be exaggerating, but only slightly).

57 minutes ago, Palindrome said:

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork than attend one of those ministry gatherings and listen to anything Derick has to say (okay, I might be exaggerating, but only slightly).

I would go and out-debate him. I didn't get my degree in comparative religious studies for nothing... 

We sometimes do this with JW - little brain snack anyone? ;)

9 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

My parents are both accountants, and my mom really onlybagreed to a first date because she was super impressed that my dad passed the CPA exam on his first try :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

Still a better love story than Twilight. :pb_lol:

(ETA: My husband passed his first try too. It was really tough even split up into four separate parts. So I actually fully agree with your mom's reasoning here - that's really impressive!)

6 hours ago, FeministFunPolice said:

People. Dirty Jesus, the word missing from that sentence is "I love Chinese people" which is still a creepy thing to say but not completely offensive. 

Fixed it for you! :) (It was Derick commenting, not Jill)

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

I personally doubt that Isreal's black eye caused by allergies.   Why only one eye?

People that I have known with severe allergies have bruising or dark circles around both eyes.

As its been said before, all allergy sufferers have different symptoms.  Personally, I had the dark circles/swelling around my eyes.    Particulally left eye--was always noticably worse.  Turns out as an adult I had surgury, only on my left sinus as the right side was fine with medication....the way I was put together meant much of my problem was due to the left side.  Post surgery, while I still have allergies,  the swelling/dark circles are mostly gone.

Seriously though, what can Derick and Jill bring to any church?

Jill: "So we like courted and that was really um hard because it was uh like long distance. Then he proposed and I said, yes totally. We saved our first kiss until marriage because that was like really important to use because we like wanted to have um good testimony. So yeah..." 

Would Derick then talk about how he attacked a teenaged girl on twitter? Calling her a him? Would he get cheers and feel like the conquering hero? Because seriously, these two have done nothing! 

Don't underestimate the power of fame... I think a lot of young conservative and fundie lite evangelicals will flock to this ministry for the chance to rub shoulders with the Duggars.

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Would Derick then talk about how he attacked a teenaged girl on twitter? Calling her a him? Would he get cheers and feel like the conquering hero?

Yes. Obviously they wouldn't frame it as an attack, but yes, he would be applauded for it. Definitely.

I've never heard of a church sorority before, and frankly it looks and sounds like my idea of a complete nightmare. But I'm so, so, so, glad that Derick and Jill have finally seen the light (or were fired by SOS, whichever) and have returned to Arkansas permanently (I hope). They were so clearly NOT cut out to be missionaries. I think Derick is always going to be a closed-minded douchecanoe, but at least he can be a douchecanoe with an actual chance to support his family, who's not dragging his emotionally fragile wife and two small children all over hell's half acre with no regard for their physical or mental well-being. I still think he's nuts if he's not using his accounting degree, unless he really honestly hates it (I don't think anyone should feel forced to do something they hate unless the situation is absolutely dire, and I don't think that's the case for the Dillards).

Another cryptic endorsement of Trump and Trump's response to Charlottesville from fool-boy....  C3 stands for Callow, Callous, and Cocksure, right?

Dewwick Twwweets.png

I just want to know if the are making a living wage as HolyLocals. But of course, they have that huge house to live in for free!!!!!! So hey!!!

2 minutes ago, sophrosyne said:

Another cryptic endorsement of Trump and Trump's response to Charlottesville from fool-boy....  C3 stands for Callow, Callous, and Cocksure, right?

Dewwick Twwweets.png

I guess willfully blind hypocrisy is the worst kind. Here's another thought to go along with it, from around 600 years later. The unexamined life is not worth living.

6 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I just want to know if the are making a living wage as HolyLocals. But of course, they have that huge house to live in for free!!!!!! So hey!!!

Leave and Cleave, baby!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, JB??????????

Derick, open your fucking Bible. You should know which group Jesus constantly rebuked, warned, criticized, and lectured: arrogant religious zealots. And the worst sin of all? Pride. Oh, and the commandments that encompass all other commandments? Love God, and love your neighbour.

I'll also extend the same message to Derick that I extend to everyone who voted for Trump and who still insists on supporting that psychopathic fascist: go fuck yourself.

There aren't many people on this planet who inspire strong emotions in me one way or the other, but Derick Dillard absolutely disgusts me. What an awful, pathetic man. Grow up, Derick, and shut up. And while you're at it, maybe you'll learn some humility and manage to evolve into a better husband, father, and human being. Oh no, wait, you don't believe in evolution. Dipshit.

I'm going to be real quick about this but I am concluding that Derick is just like that huge piece of shit that you step in, it sticks to your shoe, and when you go into the grass to wipe it off, it goes everywhere. Derick is that annoying. 

10 hours ago, FeministFunPolice said:

People. Jill, the word missing from that sentence is "I love Chinese people" which is still a creepy thing to say but not completely offensive. 

Maybe they really enjoy Chinese take-out, and so they assume they'll like Chinese people, too? 

12 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

Why not reply with something like "Everyone is welcome, regardless of race" or something like that. Seriously, these people. 

It's plausible that without real jobs or much real-world exposure, they haven't picked up that skill. I feel like many people learn how to give appropriate, business-like responses by modeling themselves after mentors, coworkers, etc. But it seems they're learning/modeling themselves after JB & M.

I just got the ickies thinking about this and remembering the youth groups and college groups I was in. In almost all of those groups about half the group developed crushes on the youth pastors/ leaders/ counselors and they weren't even famous. The leader "got them", because they listened to whatever problem it was, were always cheerful, helpful etc. Just like anyone in church leadership should be. Not sure if anyone watches Red Oaks (amazon series), but very much like the teenage girl in Wheeler's SAT prep group.

So I'm glad Jill will be involved and that she appears to cling to him. Because good grief it's not a pretty thought of groups of young women out there having crushes on Derick. He does not need an even more inflated ego, but it's likely someone will find his dangerous mission trips ever so swoon worthy. Gag.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

Because good grief it's not a pretty thought of groups of young women out there having crushes on Derick. He does not need an even more inflated ego, but it's likely someone will find his dangerous mission trips ever so swoon worthy. Gag.

Good god that's a disgusting possibility. Thanks for the mental image of this smug asshole with a harem of chaste college girls after him. BARF. 

Derrick's "We love Chinese!" comment reminds me so much of Trump's "I Love Hispanics" taco salad faux paux tweet from last year. A lot of good that backlash did...

But why do people think it's okay to talk about other ethnicities like that?? It just sounds so painfully awkward to me. 

Derick and the 'We love Chinese!' is just nauseating. The white savior complex is strong in this one. Ugh. Just musing on the various hubbies and the small ways they have found to stick it to JB...shorts, long hair, allowing their womenfolk to ditch the dress code, openly questioning racist policies . .Ben, obvi....and I had this horrendous image of each of the respective men puffing up their chests to their helpmeets, getting romantic and all, saying : 'Who's your daddy NOW, babe?'  GACK.

Thank you, Derick, but the arguments for the Confederacy and Nazi party have already been heard and hashed out.  IN FACT, this process was a major effort and took several years before a decision was reached.  You may have heard of these events.  They were called The Civil War and WWII respectively.  

I don't need to hear them out again.  No one does.  They had their chance to make their arguments.  They lost.  Badly.  And even one of their lead guys, Robert E. Lee, believed that the war was GOD's determination on the matter and should not be questioned.  If you respect Bobby Lee, then you ought to read his post-War writings and study his post-War life, because this is EXACTLY what he fought against.  

This is NOT the heritage of generals like Lee, Longstreet, and Jackson.  This is the heritage of one single man: Nathan Bedford Forrest.  This is the kool aid of the KKK.  

Once,my son's school had a job fair on a Saturday so the parents could attend.My son toured an ambulance and they showed him around,and even blew up latex gloves,like balloons for him.By the evening,one eye was swollen,it looked as if someone punched him in the eye,people kept asking about his "shiner".I took him to the ER,they said he was having an allergic reaction,but didn't know what it was.It was latex.It's a common allergy,and most of the hospitals here,as far as I know don't use it ,anymore.Then later,came embarassing questions...Melon  Boy2 asked what was Melon Boy3 was going to do about condoms since he was allergic to latex...I said I think he'll see when that time comes.

4 minutes ago, melon said:

Then later,came embarassing questions...Melon  Boy2 asked what was Melon Boy3 was going to do about condoms since he was allergic to latex...I said I think he'll see when that time comes.

I don't know how old he is, but I hope he knows/will know that there are non-latex condoms.

So, that church sign up form goes straight out and says "we will expect all your time and money, and you will like it". And, why does everything have to be a Ministry? Why could they not just say "technical staff"? Not Godly enough?

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

I just got the ickies thinking about this and remembering the youth groups and college groups I was in. In almost all of those groups about half the group developed crushes on the youth pastors/ leaders/ counselors and they weren't even famous. The leader "got them", because they listened to whatever problem it was, were always cheerful, helpful etc. 

Or just like Sue Heck in The Middle and her crush on Reverend Tim Tom. (broadcast television-the horror). So this first paragraph made me laugh. The second paragraph not so much.

*Derick is given the opportunity to advertise how church loves everyone and is in no way racist*

Derick: suggests take out.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived