IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, TotalMumnesia said:

It's all about who you are and who you know rather than qualifications though isn't it?

As someone who has just spent a year looking for work following getting a masters degree (with all the success), and just got a job that I could do with an associates (and only got it through a connection - my only real interview in the entire year), it sickens me how true this is.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Am I misunderstanding? Their church has a 'sorority'?!

What I think is going on is that they are at the University of Arkansas BCM (Baptist Campus Ministry)--which has a building on most college campuses-- providing snacks during the college's sorority recruitment week. Being from a big college town, churches do stuff like this all. the. time. to "minister" to the college students and let them know where their church is located.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I love how T shirt size is on there.  Definitely NOT at all a way to ensure that they dont accept anyone that is larger than a fundie is supposed to be according to their fat shaming beliefs

And don't forget, you can only be male or female, or married or single :naughty:

It looked like that application was for students.  It looks to me like Cross Church has a weekly Bible study get together for all college students in the area.

Derick, is probably just a volunteer sponsor for the college crowd. I personally don't think it is a paid position. 

What i find interesting is Jill being around college age students.  Overhearing  conversations about classes, student life, and dorm life. IT will be an eye opener for sure on the camaraderie of women, the socialization of women and men etc. 

Just the fact that women are wearing shorts and the men are not falling on their faces with their tongues hanging out reaching to the bowels of hell must be shocking.

I don't have much sympathy for Jill at all. But what makes me feel a little compassion is the fact that she will be in among her peers  who have desire, drive, and the belief that God may have called them to be doctors, nurses, teachers, environmentalists....and they are not burning for their beliefs that they don't need to be barefoot and pregnant at 21. 

I think a lot of these women are going to open up Jill to the fact that indeed women can be called to do anything else they want. They do not need to be under a headship and can be independent.  It might actually create some disappointment that she could not be a nurse.

What a shock to her senses. She is going to feel old and the oddball for already having two  kids.

That's so interesting @LouisvilleGirl that a church would give snacks for recruitment. I'm a sorority alumna and it was usually the alumnae who paid for our food.

Also for those that went to church at school, were you guys always affiliated with a Church? My school had church groups that you could join but only the Catholic groups had an actual church. My group only affiliated with a Church to do volunteer work.

1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

What i find interesting is Jill being around college age students.  Overhearing  conversations about classes, student life, and dorm life. IT will be an eye opener for sure on the camaraderie of women, the socialization of women and men etc.

This is interesting to me as well.  Is Jill behind the scenes, because otherwise it seems like she'd have to be explaining to the women that there is no reason to attend college, because their divine role is to be assigned headships and produce children.  I'm still puzzling over this one.

22 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Is Jill behind the scenes, because otherwise it seems like she'd have to be explaining to the women that there is no reason to attend college,

The women in the picture with her are paid leaders of the church. I saw them on the thing posted above that someone posted . But Jill and Derick are not pictured so either they are not added yet, or are not being paid but volunteer staff. 

So will she be hiding in the kitchen? Or will she be at home with the babes on Wednesday night while Derick runs off?  Besides food I can't imagine what Jill will be able to contribute that would be relevant. What an ugly position to be in. 

33 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

So will she be hiding in the kitchen? Or will she be at home with the babes on Wednesday night while Derick runs off?  Besides food I can't imagine what Jill will be able to contribute that would be relevant. What an ugly position to be in. 

I was actually responsible for the coordination of social events for the campus Newman Center (college Catholic community) back in my college days (as well as a sorority alum and RA...I like to plan social events).  There is a fair amount of behind the scenes work that goes into organizing events like this.  Admin stuff, like managing the calendar, acquiring a contact list, managing your contact list, getting the word out, working with various student offices, arranging food and drink, arranging transportation, arranging chaperones/monitors (even if there is no drinking), budgeting, setting up/cleaning up, etc.  Even just for a basic mixer with soda and light refreshments, there's work to be done.

And if you're really doing your job, you do retrospectives where you review everything you did (and didn't do) and evaluate.  You want to make sure you document which things worked, which things didn't work, which stores tend to have the things you need, which restaurant catering services are a good match for your needs, which service providers were good to work with, who needs what and by when, etc. 

It's not a full time job (it's only a few hours per week of work, especially if you have help), but it's usually more than just showing up with snacks.  It's something I enjoyed doing on top of school work, and it's something I could see giving Jill purpose.  I think Jessa would be more cut out for the role, but if this is the role Jill is filling, there will definitely be something for her to do.  

6 hours ago, missegeno said:

As someone who has just spent a year looking for work following getting a masters degree (with all the success), and just got a job that I could do with an associates (and only got it through a connection - my only real interview in the entire year), it sickens me how true this is.

I am 10 months post masters and still unemployed. Keeping my fingers crossed that my luck also turns. 

8 hours ago, Buzzard said:
I love how T shirt size is on there.  Definitely NOT at all a way to ensure that they dont accept anyone that is larger than a fundie is supposed to be according to their fat shaming beliefs

Are they fat shamers? I thought that was just so they could give out t-shirts, aka free advertising. If they exclude people on the basis of size, they're in the wrong part of the world.

Are they fat shamers? I thought that was just so they could give out t-shirts, aka free advertising. If they exclude people on the basis of size, they're in the wrong part of the world.

I'm sure it's just because volunteers and staff members get free t-shirts for stuff.

12 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I'm sure it's just because volunteers and staff members get free t-shirts for stuff.

It's not free if you're paying 15$ just to aply. And his name is Jon Snow, not John :pb_lol:

Wow in these pictures Jill looks like a totally different (yet old version of herself) person.  Even ass hat looks less creepy.  Maybe he's relieved that he doesn't have to continue that charade in Central America too?  It's probably much easier to be a zealot at home with cable and AC and secure shower racks.

23 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Jill is hard at work apparently.

Long time lurker here! Had to finally jump in after seeing this pic on IG yesterday. I have to admit that I am surprised no one is mentioning Isreal's black eye. This is probably the 4th time we have seen him with one. I know small children can get unruly and easily injure themselves but why is it always the damn eye?? The same question goes for if this is, in fact, an abuse situation. Why is it always his eye? Why so many obvious bruises to this child's face. With such an openly public life, I can't believe the authorities haven't gotten involved by now. My heart hurts for those boys. 

22 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Long time lurker here! Had to finally jump in after seeing this pic on IG yesterday. I have to admit that I am surprised no one is mentioning Isreal's black eye. This is probably the 4th time we have seen him with one. I know small children can get unruly and easily injure themselves but why is it always the damn eye?? The same question goes for if this is, in fact, an abuse situation. Why is it always his eye? Why so many obvious bruises to this child's face. With such an openly public life, I can't believe the authorities haven't gotten involved by now. My heart hurts for those boys. 

I agree it's strange, but it seems to show up in the same location over and over again, and I have a really hard time believing that they're hitting him in the eye on a regular basis. That just doesn't make sense to me. I think it's more likely that he's suffering from allergies, and his skin is thin because he's still young so he's prone to dark circles that look like black eyes. 

I think if anything, they should take him to an allergist, especially given the number of allergies his dad has. It's possible that he's being exposed to an environmental trigger, or even that he's eating something over and over again that's causing a reaction. But I don't know Derick and Jill, so for all I know they're already on it. And obviously I don't know for sure that allergies are the explanation.

22 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

While I wouldn't be surprised if they are 'disciplining' their 'manipulative' toddler with some harsh methods, I also have a toddler who is covered in bruises. He's very pale, fearless, and active! Izzy seems pretty rambunctious and I wouldn't jump to an abuse claim without some better evidence. Especially, unfortunately, because most fundies know how to hit their kids with implements that won't leave a mark and where it can be covered by clothes, I'd say a bruise near his eye is just a side effect of being a toddler. 

I agree. Mini Suffolk 2 is forever covered in bumps as she has all the coordination of a new born giraffe and a love of climbing, how we have avoided any hospital visits I'll never know but she does seem to bounce back quickly. Plus some skin types bruise super easily, I can gauge the height of all the furniture in my classroom based on the bruises on my legs, I don't even know I have them until I get into the shower after school

I think that's just how Izzy's eyes look.

My middle son is allergic to almost every tree, grass, and weed and his eyes looked like this when he was a toddler.

I don't think its that weird that its always the eye.  LO likes to climb and always tries to climb head first.  If we didn't watch him constantly and show him other ways to climb he would have bruises too.  Kids do really weird things, and then do them over and over.  

15 hours ago, Galbin said:

I am 10 months post masters and still unemployed. Keeping my fingers crossed that my luck also turns.

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary from graduating with my masters and I'm starting at my new position the 28th. It took 312 applications over the course of this past year. Don't give up!

I had bad allergies as a kid and got, "allergic shiners". It legit looked like someone punched me in the face.  I guess t causes the capilaries to leak under the skin.  Looking back I'm surprised no one called CPS because it was bad.  Other than falling up the stairs once smack dab on my the bridge of my nose no one beat me in he face.

Jill has stated that Israel has allergies that cause the marks around his eyes. Obviously she could very well be lying but I'm with @singsingsing, I find it hard to believe they would be hitting him in the eye over and over even just as a twisted form of "discipline", especially when they know that they are in the public eye and every little visible scratch on him is going to be scrutinized.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I think it's more likely that he's suffering from allergies, and his skin is thin because he's still young so he's prone to dark circles that look like black eyes. 

I'm going to agree to disagree on this topic. I'm a life long allergy sufferer. I've never even heard of people getting black eyes from sinuses. I even had a septoplasty. My nephew has crazy allergies when he was Izraels age and it wasn't one of the symptoms described by a doctor.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived