IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 6: With the Gyrating Flesh

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

No, that is Liberty (Bert).  Both Jubilee and Faith are younger.

You're correct, sorry.  Haven't gotten to the coffee yet.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess reciting lines about "whores" and "bastards" and killing people is just jolly good fun, as long as it's done while wearing victory rolls and red lipstick. Doug is Cool Dad now, and Faith feels ever so deliciously naughty! *giggle*

Excuse me while I barf. 

36 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

What must it be like to have been that man spouting  off all that condemnation and pious self righteousness only a few years ago and to now be so libertine

Libertine!  The perfect word.  Merriam-Webster: Definition of libertine. 1 disparaging : a freethinker especially in religious matters.  Synonyms:  dissolute, profligate.  

I so want to use the word louche:  disreputable or sordid in a rakish or appealing way:  "the louche world of the theater",  If you describe a person or place as louche, you mean that they are unconventional and not respectable, but often in a way that people find rather attractive.

Doug wad doesn't drink or do drugs (that we know of), and he's super fastidious in his dress.  He's not an ugly man, but unattractive to us because he's definitely enamored of himself.  Post VF implosion, many people noted how turned off they were when they met him for this reason.  They knew intuitively that something just wasn't right. 

I've always been curious, almost from Day 1, about how DPIAT  ended up in Boerne Christian Assembly, a little church out in the country, outside a small town.  Granted, Boerne is on the interstate and is almost a commuter town caught up in the staggering sprawl of San Antonio with lots of retirees, but still so bizarre.  I just can't imagine he would have much in common with the congregants of Boerne Christian Assembly. 

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I've always been curious, almost from Day 1, about how DPIAT  ended up in Boerne Christian Assembly, a little church out in the country, outside a small town.

IIRC, the cult assembly started out meeting in San Antonio and then eventually moved to the Boerne church building which is almost Norman Rockwellesque in its appearance -- a big plus for the theatrical DPIART, no doubt.

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Count me in as another skeptic. It might have been the truth as KISA saw it.  

Seriously good word!:laughing-jumpingpurple:  ::commits to memory::

Faith is at most 18, I think.  She has always looked much older than her age.

Very good question.  Unless the GFM is also to pay the Tool's expenses.

That one has always made me squirm.  Stop touching and caressing her, you pervert!

That has always squicked the bejeebers out of me. It's as if he has no clue how inappropriate his behavior is. 

In exercising some google-fu to locate an image of the BCA church, I came across this older article on the downfall of DPIART & collapse of VFI/VFM that I hadn't seen before. It's interesting because it confirms that James Leininger did bankroll DPIART & the VF scams.

James Leininger said he also would have preferred to know earlier. The Texas conservative and billionaire businessman supported VFM for years: He said his donations included the building on Blanco Road and the home that Phillips and his family lived in while they worked for the ministry.

Leininger said he was particularly drawn to Phillips’ love of history and his work in the independent Christian film festival. Leininger funded and produced the film Alone Yet Not Alone, which drew national attention when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences suddenly rescinded the Christian film’s nomination for best original song in March. Both Phillips and the woman Phillips was involved with appeared in the film.

Leininger said parts of those short scenes will likely remain, and that he hopes they won’t detract from the film, slated for a June release. He hasn’t spoken with Phillips since the resignation, but called the developments sad: “It’s just very disappointing for what a long time looked to be a very promising witness for Christ.” He’s glad Phillips acknowledged his sin and stepped down, and hopes his repentance is genuine: “Time will tell.” [Emphasis added]

Whichever Meatball daughter that is limning Hamilton, she's into the sensuousness and so is her camera-wielding dad(dy) and it's IMHO gross.

As to why she can't just live with Aunt NYC or Aunt Berlin, I am going to hazard a guess that it's the aunts who don't necessarily want to give shelter to their niece who would *doubtlessly* arrive with all kinds of parents and siblings and did I mention **parents** tagging along and mooching while undermining the aunts' autonomy in each of their own homes.

To borrow from 1995 Pride & Prejudice, the Phillips aunts might wail, "Are we to be invaded by every Dougling in the country?"

Recall  the story that Doug AND BE-ALL physically tried to restrain the sister who was taking her opera career to Europe!  In full-on Frightening Patriarch Mode, they told her that her very soul was in danger. 

Now she has a decent career in opera across the pond and she has to know that her transformed brother is a few hours' drive away in the same continent. Would any of us, in that situation, welcome even the most compatible niece to share her life/home?  This insect wouldn't.  

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Leininger said parts of those short scenes will likely remain, and that he hopes they won’t detract from the film, slated for a June release. He hasn’t spoken with Phillips since the resignation, but called the developments sad: “It’s just very disappointing for what a long time looked to be a very promising witness for Christ.”

For CHRIST? Holy Moses, Leininger wasn't paying very close attention, was he? The concept of Christ came up even less frequently in VF-dom than the name of Jesus! 

[posting then walking away muttering]

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

IIRC, the cult assembly started out meeting in San Antonio and then eventually moved to the Boerne church building

Somewhere in the FJ archives there is info that will probably confirm my memory that Boerne Christian Assembly was started by Richard "Little Bear" Wheeler and a couple of other cosplayers and co-conspirators. 

When Dougie left HSLDA (grabbing the mailing list as he exited) he joined BCA and started VFI. Somehow that morphed into VFM as well as VFI.

Little Bear then left BCA (apparently voluntarily) to plant another church (Living Water Fellowship) and Doug wangled his way up to chief elder and Pastor at BCA.

Michael Farris took a dim view of how the Tool exaggerated the role he had played at HSLDA, although it was the only time he really used his JD.  Farris took an even dimmer view of Douggie grabbing the mailing list so he could market VFI crap to the homeschooling market.

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

He said his donations included the building on Blanco Road and the home that Phillips and his family lived in while they worked for the ministry.

Well, Doug must have been quite the bullshitter, because Leininger is a filthy rich San Antonio businessman and an extremely heavy hitter in conservative right-wing Texas politics, who was basically responsible for the last-minute money that got Rick Perry narrowly elected governor of Texas.  

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Recall  the story that Doug AND BE-ALL physically tried to restrain the sister who was taking her opera career to Europe!  In full-on Frightening Patriarch Mode, they told her that her very soul was in danger. 

Really??? I must have missed that one! My God, no wonder the poor woman changed her name. There are more nuts in her family than in a fruitcake! 

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

It's interesting because it confirms that James Leininger did bankroll DPIART & the VF scams.

Um, yes.  The Leininger connection has already been confirmed (by sources) but this is additional information.

Leininger donated the house the Tool lived in at BCA.  He bankrolled the movie that were based on his daughter's book. And another daughter starred in it.  He chucked much cash in Doug's direction... as he has with many other sucky endeavors.  He's my main suspect for Shrader's plane (but I have no proof of that!)

Lots more money than sense, that is Dr. Jim Leininger.  He's also chucked significant cash at Gothard in the past.

But Leininger was supposedly horrified by Doug's pursuit of Lourdes (sources).  He may (or may not) have been the person who forced the liquidation of VFM.

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

No, but my memory really sucks.

They probably did tell her that.  She seems to have gone ahead and succeeded in her operatic career anyway.

I get the impression that she is still supportive of her nieces and nephews.

I'd like to think that she wants to put a boot up the Tool's rear.

If Dr J was that invested i have my suspicions he may have paid some lawyers bills for someone other than himself too. 

"Libertine!" One of my favorite words, can't hear it without also hearing Professor Harold Hill in "The Music Man:"

"Libertine men and scarlet women!

And RAGtime, SHAMEless music.

That'll grab your son, your daughter

With the arms of a jungle animal instinct!

MASS-STERIA!"

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Really??? I must have missed that one! My God, no wonder the poor woman changed her name. There are more nuts in her family than in a fruitcake! 

Can't help but wonder if she changed her name to protect her career from being affected by the family craziness.   No way of knowing for sure, but being that she's one of the normal ones one has to wonder.  Being in the music business is hard work, I can totally see all that training and effort to be undone because of family.  

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

As to why she can't just live with Aunt NYC or Aunt Berlin, I am going to hazard a guess that it's the aunts who don't necessarily want to give shelter to their niece who would *doubtlessly* arrive with all kinds of parents and siblings and did I mention **parents** tagging along and mooching while undermining the aunts' autonomy in each of their own homes.

I would not be surprised at this.  The aunts  knows their family and as much as both of them may be supportive of their nieces and nephews, she knows that the kids have baggage in the form of their own parents.  They know their brother's mooching ways and they know that the kids would be a way in the door.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

The Leininger connection has already been confirmed (by sources) but this is additional information.

Hadn't seen any public confirmation before this article, and certainly nothing from the good doctor himself.

In a way, the Leininger family was my gateway into the fundie world, particularly DPIART's filthy corner of it. Back in 2004, I stumbled across DPIART's blog account of Tracy Leininger Craven's wedding, entitled "Never Been Kissed: A Home School Love Story." Tracy, faithful readers of FJ will recall, wrote the book Alone Yet Not Alone.

What did Dougie have to say about her wedding? Here are some snippets from my PDF of that blog entry. [Note: anti-nausea meds and/or extra insulin may be needed.]

God-willing, I will post another article on the single greatest wedding reception I have ever witnessed in my life. It was great, not because it was big and wonderful, (which it certainly was), but because those present knew it was the closest we would probably experience on this earth to a picture of the marriage supper of the Lamb. The problem is that it was so epistemologically selfconscious, so spectacular and so glorious, that I am genuinely reluctant to even attempt to put into words what we experienced.

God-willing, I will post another article on the single greatest wedding reception I have ever witnessed in my life. It was great, not because it was big and wonderful, (which it certainly was), but because those present knew it was the closest we would probably experience on this earth to a picture of the marriage supper of the Lamb. The problem is that it was so epistemologically selfconscious, so spectacular and so glorious, that I am genuinely reluctant to even attempt to put into words what we experienced.

In the name of all things pbliverblarcgh, I'm going to say that Doug was high on something -- probably his own bullshit.  Maybe there was something in the punch. And this was just the reception, mind you.  

Thanks to all who refreshed me on the timeline for VF.  It's coming back to me now.  Which reminds me, Leininger is a huge proponent of school vouchers -- basically, he wants to give state money to parents to send their kids to private Christian schools. The Texas legislature was forced into special session this summer by the Lieutenant Governor who wanted to pass a school voucher law and a transgender bathroom law (everyone must use the bathroom based on the gender listed on the birth certificate).  Even with a special session chock-a-block with right-wing Teavangelical state legislators,  the voucher bill did not pass.   I've contemplated why this might be and it's this.  In hundreds of little and little bitty Texas towns (and some are tiny, with 6-man football teams -- that's it, just 6 guys), the public school and associated sports teams are the center of the social life of the town and a source of good jobs and this holds true all the way up to some small cities.  I think even the most right-wing state representatives know that their constituents don't want to see the public school system eviscerated by a voucher system.  It's a nice little FU tied up with a bow to James Leininger and his ilk.  

1 hour ago, bea said:

"epistemologically selfconscious"
emoji23.png
What. The. Hell.
Does that even MEAN anything?

Means he knew his fawning readers were so agog at his erudition that he didn't need to write more. He just held a manly hanky to his fevered brow and steadied himself lest he swoon at his own cleverness.

@Howl wrote, 

"In the name of all things pbliverblarcgh" -- and even though it's probably too long, I'm nominating it as a thread count (?) title. Is that the word, thread count? Too much Chardonnay, MJB.... :my_biggrin:

eta: USER TITLE! That was easy. *hic!" 

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Somewhere in the FJ archives there is info that will probably confirm my memory that Boerne Christian Assembly was started by Richard "Little Bear" Wheeler and a couple of other cosplayers and co-conspirators. 

When Dougie left HSLDA (grabbing the mailing list as he exited) he joined BCA and started VFI. Somehow that morphed into VFM as well as VFI.

Little Bear then left BCA (apparently voluntarily) to plant another church (Living Water Fellowship) and Doug wangled his way up to chief elder and Pastor at BCA.

Erma gerd, I'm starting to have flashbacks! I had to google to find it, but there was bad blood between Doug and Little Bear because Jen (Epstein) Fisburne  was welcomed at Little Bear's Living Waters Fellowship after the Epsteins got the boot from Boerne Christian assembly.

There was a bit of evangelical blood feuding because for Doug, Little Bear's acceptance of the Epsteins into his congregation was betrayal of the very highest order. In retrospect, what a tempest in a tiny little tea pot. 

If you want to know more or for a refresher,  Jen at Jen's Gems blathers endlessly on and on and on and freaking ON about it HERE and HERE.  

*Thank you, @MamaJunebug!   I think "agog at his erudition" should be a post count title, too! 

7 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

He just held a manly hanky to his fevered brow and steadied himself lest he swoon at his own cleverness.

Kind of like Woody Harrelson did!

Spoiler

Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money.gif

16 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Can't help but wonder if she changed her name to protect her career from being affected by the family craziness.   No way of knowing for sure, but being that she's one of the normal ones one has to wonder.  Being in the music business is hard work, I can totally see all that training and effort to be undone because of family.  

In addition (and speculating on basically no information at all), using an "Italianized" professional name might be helpful in pursuing an opera career in Europe.  

ETA:  Speaking of Jen Fishburne (upthread), she's now a Joel Osteen groupie.  One commenter did a massive smack down of Joel Osteen and prosperity gospel and to her credit, she did not remove it, but other commenters Osteen leg humpers fired back.  Jen is currently with the Leazer Group in the "mortgage protection" business, supposedly doing extremely well, and recruiting agents for her down line.  I don't know what the Leazer Group does, but when you are recruiting agents, it's MLM. 

I keep thinking that if you add in an "S" you come up with the Sleazer Group.  

Anyway, The Babylon Bee (like The Onion but with a Christian slant) nailed Joel Osteen: 

Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of ‘Your Best Life Now’

HOUSTON, TX—Although Joel Osteen took flak over the weekend for closing up his church to flood victims and all but disappearing during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, the megachurch pastor reportedly returned to the city on his luxury yacht “S.S. Blessed” to make amends Tuesday by tossing copies of Your Best Life Now to stranded flood survivors.

Osteen had his on-call yacht captain steer the large vessel through the flooded streets of the city, pulling up to survivors stranded on their roofs and on the roof of their cars as the prosperity gospel preacher smiled, waved, and threw out signed editions of the bestselling positive thinking book.

“Believe and declare you are coming into a shift!” Osteen yelled through a bullhorn, according to reports. “God wants His best for you! Enlarge your vision, develop a healthy self image, and choose to be happy!”

“When you think positive, excellent thoughts, you will be propelled toward greatness!” he called out to one family floating on a raft on a freeway-turned-river, whose earthly possessions had been entirely destroyed the previous day.

Osteen also paused for brief photo ops with several families, the smiling pastor briefly allowing them to board his yacht as his professional photography team got shots of the pastor together with the sobbing, distraught flood victims, though the pastor was careful to not stand too close to the mud-caked refugees. Sources confirmed that the pastor then had his assistants help the families back into their makeshift lifeboats or tree logs on which they were floating through the city.

15 hours ago, bea said:

"epistemologically selfconscious"
emoji23.png
What. The. Hell.
Does that even MEAN anything?

:laughing-rolling: I googled, and apparently it is quite a thing in some Calvinist circles.  Example: 

https://oldlife.org/2012/01/11/can-epistemologically-self-conscious-calvinists-get-along/

My guess is that the theory of knowledge becomes "all knowledge is in the Bible" and the better than average Calvinist is conscious of self when he spouts texts.

Or something like that.

12 hours ago, Howl said:

If you want to know more or for a refresher,  Jen at Jen's Gems blathers endlessly on and on and on and freaking ON about it HERE and HERE.  

Wish I hadn't taken the time to refresh my memory.

Yeah, I trust Jen's (and Mark's) presentation of this apparent alienation about as far as I can spit.  And I never spit.  The spin is so palpable.

I think it is true that Doug treated Jen very badly.  I think we have independent corroboration somewhere that Little Bear Wheeler indeed tried to mediate the situation.  I don't think it is unlikely that Doug told Wheeler (I fuckin' hate the Little Bear thing!) to watch out for Jen and Mark.  She would try the patience of a saint.

I think it is highly probable that Wheeler and Philips had many pissing contests and there was a definite split prior to the Fall of the Tool.  Doug always liked kicking the legs out from under competition but probably Jen was peripheral.

Furthermore, at the time Jen claimed that there was a huge breach between them Doug was still selling Wheeler products through the Blue Behemoth website if not through the VF catalog. 

Interestingly, that second link also contains a reference to "Frank Vance" who is also TW Eston and both are reputed to be the vile Kinist Peter Kershaw.  

The Ministry Watchmen is an anti-Kershaw group and blew the whistle.  https://ministrywatchmen.wordpress.com/2007/01/08/an-open-letter-to-mark-and-jennifer-epstein/

If Jen is turning into an Osteen fan, it's only the latest in the long line of trash she's been associated with in the past.   

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived