IGNORED

What's the scariest movie you ever saw?

Guest One and Done

The Grudge. I watched it on night shift at the hospital and then I had to go do rounds in the semi-dark. I was freaked right out, and mad at myself for being scared. FYI, that terrible sound she made is a comb being run along the edge of a counter - at least, that's what I read in an interview of the guy that produced to movie. I hated it the most when she came down the stairs with those scary unnatural movements...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Grudge. I watched it on night shift at the hospital and then I had to go do rounds in the semi-dark. I was freaked right out, and mad at myself for being scared. FYI, that terrible sound she made is a comb being run along the edge of a counter - at least, that's what I read in an interview of the guy that produced to movie. I hated it the most when she came down the stairs with those scary unnatural movements...

If you ever talk to someone on a pay phone and run your thumb nail along the ridged cord of the phone, it makes that same exact noise. *shudder* The little boy was also creepy.

The scariest movies for me are the old black and white horror films -- Nosferatu in particular. Max Schrek as Orlok (the vampire) is soooooo creepy. Curse of the Demon (made in the 50s) scares the bejesus out of me every time I see it. The suspense is very carefully built up to the final, terrifying scene. (Well, at least I think it's terrifying!) Last, Todd Browning's Freaks is mind blowing, especially when you consider that Browning cast actual circus sideshow performers. The evil villainess's comeuppance is truly horrifying -- but well deserved.

For me, the scariest part was when Samara came out of the TV near the end of the movie. Gah!!!

That was great!

I watched part of the Japanese original, Ringu, and just couldn't find it in me to be creeped out. The remake? Definitely creepy.

One of the only movies that ever scared me was Prince of Darkness. I watched it shortly after it first came out - and then again 20 years later. Nope - still scary as hell.

The scariest movies for me are the old black and white horror films -- Nosferatu in particular. Max Schrek as Orlok (the vampire) is soooooo creepy. Curse of the Demon (made in the 50s) scares the bejesus out of me every time I see it. The suspense is very carefully built up to the final, terrifying scene. (Well, at least I think it's terrifying!) Last, Todd Browning's Freaks is mind blowing, especially when you consider that Browning cast actual circus sideshow performers. The evil villainess's comeuppance is truly horrifying -- but well deserved.

One of my favorite scary movies is the original 1963The Haunting. Creeeeeepy as all heck.

That was great!

I watched part of the Japanese original, Ringu, and just couldn't find it in me to be creeped out. The remake? Definitely creepy.

One of the only movies that ever scared me was Prince of Darkness. I watched it shortly after it first came out - and then again 20 years later. Nope - still scary as hell.

I wasn't creeped during the original, either. Too much focus on the psychic/magic stuff - made it way less creepy.

Hmm, the scariest movie I've ever seen was probably The Hills Have Eyes. I had nail marks in my palms from clutching an eraser I was holding. Ugh. And then definitely Halloween. I don't know which one, but I saw it when I was really young. The scariest nightmare I ever had involved Michael Myers. I refuse to watch Halloween movies to this day.

I saw The Exorcist for the first time a few months ago. It didn't really scare me at all. Same for the first Paranormal Activity. I actually fell asleep during that one, it was so boring. I was just talking to a friend about how I want to see a movie that will scare the living daylights out of me. I love scary movies, but not gory ones, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I closed my eyes so much during that it that I fell asleep. So I think I'm gonna go see the 3rd Paranormal Activity when it comes out.

Pan's Labyrinth. Not because of the monsters, but because of the Captain. That man terrifies me. It is far and above the single most skillfully directed and produced film I have ever seen, but you could not pay me enough money to ever watch it again.

I haven't actually seem that many legit "horror" movies, unless you count older ones like "The Tingler", or anything else with Vincent Price. I watched Poltergeist once, but once I got the to ending I was just annoyed because it was so STUPID. Child's Play, The Exorcist, and Children of the Corn didn't do much for me. Silence of the Lambs was scary.

Guest Anonymous
Pan's Labyrinth. Not because of the monsters, but because of the Captain. That man terrifies me. It is far and above the single most skillfully directed and produced film I have ever seen, but you could not pay me enough money to ever watch it again.

I usually have a pretty strong stomach, but the bit with the wine bottle and the guy's face - I had to look away. I agree with you that it's an amazing movie with gorgeous cinematography, great writing, etc. I also agree that I don't particularly care to see it again.

You should watch The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage. Both are similar Spanish horror movies. Like Pan's Labyrinth, they're beautifully shot and kind of sad as well.

You should watch The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage. Both are similar Spanish horror movies. Like Pan's Labyrinth, they're beautifully shot and kind of sad as well.

I've been told quite a lot about The Devil's Backbone, but previous experience makes me hesitant to touch anything that Guillermo del Toro has so much as looked as sideways, much less directed. :lol:

Absolutely The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone, directed by Guillermo Del Toro. I was both terrified and devastated by the end. They're both so, so sad. The Others also really bothered me..like, it was on my mind for days kind of bothered me.

I really like Paranormal Activity, so I was kind of excited for Insidious to come out...big mistake. I have never been so disappointed in a horror movie.

i love horror movies! it takes a lot to creep me out, though. the only horror movie that has creeped me out - that i can remember atm - was dead silence. just the intensity of some of the scenes...i actually had to look away at one point.

Hands down, it was the Ring. I saw it after it was released to DVD, and slept with the TV on in myroom that night. Sometime in the night, I managed to turn off the satellite remote,but not the tv, so I woke up to that black and white staticky scrren. 21 years old and almost wet the bed right then.

I'm not really a fan of the blood/guts/gore horror films. The pscychological thrillers are okay, but overall I'd rather watch an action movie. Love me some Vin DIesel and Paul Walker. Neither of them can act worth a damn, but they've got nice bodies :D

I may be alone here but thought the Japanese "Ring" was scarier than the US one, which I didn't like. It just seemed kind of overacted.

Ring 2 (I don't know if there was an American one, I mean the Japanese) is bollocks in the main but it does have one genuinely scary moment towards the middle of the film.

Can't think of a film that's actually terrified me, but some I am terrified as to how anyone thought it would be a good idea to make them ;)

Psycho was pretty terrifying for me when I first saw it as a child, maybe 11 or 12. Also, The Birds. That movie stayed in my head for days after seeing it the first time. But I think the scariest one for me was the one from the 1970's with Carol Kane as a teenage babysitter and she keeps getting phone calls, with someone asking, "Have you checked the children? Why haven't you checked the children?" She thinks it's one of her friends, pranking her, and then calls the police and reports it. The police trace the call and it's coming from inside the house!! How scary! The murderer is upstairs and has already killed the children. I don't even remember the name of this movie, but this one was the scariest for me by far. I did a lot of babysitting as a young girl, once in a very creepy house out in the country so this scenario seems like it could really happen, I guess.

I don't even remember the name of this movie, but this one was the scariest for me by far.

"When a Stranger Calls." There's also a remake that only keeps the name and the very basic idea.

Guest Anonymous

I want to see Paranormal Activity 3 so bad this weekend but I'm scared!! I saw a preview the other day and it said the last 15 minutes will mess up your life. The last two really had me freaked for a couple days after so I don't know what i'm gonna do. I know alot of people thought that these movies were not scary at all but they were to me!

i saw the Original Halloween (1978) when i was a young kid. my much-older brother's friend worked at the movie theater so we got to go see all kind of movies for free.

IMO that movie (H-78) is the scariest of all time.

at the end, after Dr. Loomis has shot MM numerous times and he's fallen from the window... but then there's nothing there but a slightly flattened spot on the grass?

goosebumps.

the look on his face, Laurie begins to cry, and we see quick snaps of the neighborhood in shadows and hear ragged breathing as the music plays.

YEAH. goosebumps now from just remembering it and typing it out.

i am a horror/Halloween junkie. for real-i run a haunted trail in the real world. this type of thing is my bread and butter to speak... i create my own props for use in the trail and have had good feedback on things from the movie The Ring, too. i've made an animated Samara rising from the well, and once had a diminutive actress in a white gown and long black wig climbing through a modified TV's (lycra-spandex) screen all night long.

great scares there!

I'm not exactly a horror "junky", but I have seen quite a few. And I don't scare too easy. (The Exorcist and Silence of the Lambs were grotesque and weird, but not really that scary. 'Course, I didn't see them 'till I was in my 20s....) The Birds really had me, though ... first time I saw it, I was 22, and when it was over I was actually reluctant to open the bathroom door because of the attic scene.

Drag Me to Hell ... God. I saw that in the theater. I screamed like a girl. I really, really hate that movie. The tempo is completely off — in most horror movies (that I've seen), you can tell when the jumps are coming. DMTH said "fuck that" and threw them in only where they weren't supposed to be. (And the movie itself isn't all that scary either ... it's just those damned jumps....)

Love me some Vin DIesel and Paul Walker. Neither of them can act worth a damn, but they've got nice bodies :D

lol i must be crashing already because when i first read that, i thought it said that they have nice "boobies" :laughing-rollingyellow:

"When a Stranger Calls." There's also a remake that only keeps the name and the very basic idea.

i saw the remake. it was...ok i guess. mildly entertaining. not something i'd watch again unless nothing else was on. i didn't know it was a remake, though, i shall have to go about finding the original.

talking about remakes, though, "the last house on the left"...original SUCKED. like, hardcore. NOTHING even remotely scary or gorey or suspenseful or anything. boring, really. the remake though...not exactly great, but MUCH BETTER than the original. little bit of suspense in there and MUCH better action and storyline. like i said, not really "great" but an improvement, it was actually entertaining.

i also saw the movie "slither" on tv the other day [with all these horror movies being played because of halloween]...now that was a weird-ass horror movie. it was like the blob meets invasion of the body snatchers [which is an excellent movie, by the way] meets alien meets zombies meets...i don't even know. i read on imdb that part of the inspiration came from the movie "they came from within" which also looks very interesting [zombie like parasite that passes by sexual contact...now THAT is sexy lol]. it's not like a "serious" horror movie, more funny, but not exactly parody i don't think. i dunno, it was entertaining though. anyone else care to add to that?

Shaun of the Dead. :lol: No, seriously - I hate horror/thriller/gory movies. The few times I've seen parts of horror movies I get nightmares for weeks and now that I have a kid the nightmares can really mess with my head, so I avoid it entirely. Sometimes movie trailers or those cheesy ghost shows on A&E will do it to me. So not cool...

'Shaun of the Dead' is one of the funniest films I've ever seen! :lol:

'The Blair Witch Project' really freaked me out. Saw a midnight viewing at the time and couldn't sleep at night. Especially that final scene... brrr.

Also: 'The Ring'. Horrid. And I stopped watching 'Saw I' because it was scary, sadistic and gruesome. That's the last time I've watched a horror movie. I am just too much of a wimp, frankly :)

Archived