IGNORED

What's the scariest movie you ever saw?

Guest One and Done

When I was little my parents had The Birds on tv, and Edgar Allen Poe movie. I was only about 5 or 6 years old and it freaked me out. I screamed, cried, the whole bit. They had to make me leave the room. That movie was awful.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second Pan's Labyrinth. I can never watch that again. It was doubly creepy: 1) the obvious creepiness of the fantasy world and 2) the political creepiness of fascism *shudders*

OMG, Children of the Corn - I remember seeing that as a kid and being FREAKED OUT.

Also, Jesus Camp.

I thought of another one - not a whole movie, just part of one. The beginning of Ghostbusters, with that messed up demonic dog thing. Saw it when I was 5 or 6 and had nightmares for YEARS.

I got traumatised by The Mask when I was six. Yes, the Mask. It really freaked me out and I don't want to watch it sixteen years later.

Definitely 13 Ghosts. I saw it at a slumber party when I was about 16. It didn't seem that scary when I was with all the other girls, but after it was light's out... let's just say I wasn't doing any slumbering that night.

Mine would have to be the Exorcist..no question. My uncle babysat my sisters and I once and made us watch it. I was 7 and completely terrified! I will never ever watch it again, even as an adult.

Bambi

The rape scene in "A Clockwork Orange" really bothered me. Jaws kept me out of the ocean for a while. Halloween and The Blair Witch Project were great examples of a good scare without gore. 28 Days Later was really good. I don't follow TV but this year I watched "The Walking Dead" on TV.

This will probably sound stupid, but "Freaks" absolutely terrifies me.

The scene at the table when they have just gotten married and all of the freaks (what they are referred to in the movie) are chanting "We accept her! We accept her! Gooble, gobble, one of us!" sends chills through my spine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge horror movie buff, ever since I was 10.

What creeped me out as a pre-teen isn't the same now. When I was 11 the scariest thing I saw, outside of "Evil Dead", was a re-incarnation themed movie from the 70s called "Audrey Rose" starring a younger Anthony Hopkins. Saw it again 5 years ago and I'm upset that it bored me :cry: . From the 70s my fave horror films are: "Halloween" (hated the Rob Zombie remake), "The Omen", "Carrie" "The Exorcist", "Last House on The Left" and, last but not least, "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

Most of the 7 movies I mentionned up there have been remaked, sadly. :naughty: The one remake I did enjoy was "Dawn Of The Dead."

I did saw "Scream" when it came out and I'll say this: although I hate the wave of teenie-booper slasher films that this movie brought on, it has one of the best opening scenes of Hollywood horror films (the one with Drew Barrymore; I'll leave it at that I don't wanna spoil it for some that haven't seen it).

Maybe it's blasphemous, but I hated, hated "Blair Witch Project" and "Paranormal Activity". And I might be one of the only horror fan that has never seen any movie of the "Saw" franchise, although my boyfriend owns the first and I told him I might wanna see it soon. But only the 1st one, not the ones after. I dunno what caused my reluctance to see any "Saw" movies, I love gore and am not affraid of much onscreen, except for depictions of animal cruelty which make me bawl even if I know that "no animals were harmed in the making of this film".

I saw a great, great British (or was it Scottish??) film a few days ago that creeped me out: "The Descent". If you see it please see the original ending, not the sanitized one for US audiences. Another great UK one: "Black Death".

I love the new wave of horror movies that come from France and French-speaking Belgium since the mid-2000s: "Haute Tension", "Martyrs", "La Meute", "À L'Intérieur". What I love about 'em is the fact that, for the most part, there isn't any "humour" to cut the tension.

Yesterday we watched one of my fave horror films, "In The Mouth Of Madness". Love, love most of John Carpenter's stuff and think that Sam Neil is a very underrated actor.

So, what is my scariest horror film? "Martyrs" and "Carrie".

Psycho was pretty terrifying for me when I first saw it as a child, maybe 11 or 12. Also, The Birds. That movie stayed in my head for days after seeing it the first time. But I think the scariest one for me was the one from the 1970's with Carol Kane as a teenage babysitter and she keeps getting phone calls, with someone asking, "Have you checked the children? Why haven't you checked the children?" She thinks it's one of her friends, pranking her, and then calls the police and reports it. The police trace the call and it's coming from inside the house!! How scary! The murderer is upstairs and has already killed the children. I don't even remember the name of this movie, but this one was the scariest for me by far. I did a lot of babysitting as a young girl, once in a very creepy house out in the country so this scenario seems like it could really happen, I guess.

OMG, the original "When A Stranger Calls"!!!

Creeped me out as a kid.

My cousins and I rented a good horror VHS every sunday afternoons from when I was 10 to 12. After we watched "Evil Dead" it was decided that for the next 4 weekends we'd rent lighter stuff such as "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Ghostbusters" instead of our usual horror...

The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz. Seriously.

That whole damn movie is scary (Wizard of Oz). We just read the book as a read aloud (it is great of course), but I told my son Daddy would watch the movie with him. It's just too creepy for me. lol

This will probably sound stupid, but "Freaks" absolutely terrifies me.

The scene at the table when they have just gotten married and all of the freaks (what they are referred to in the movie) are chanting "We accept her! We accept her! Gooble, gobble, one of us!" sends chills through my spine.

I saw Freaks a couple of years back and I agree that scene really scared me.

The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz. Seriously.

me, too! I was an adult before they no longer creeped me out.

I screamed during "Psycho," too - "Run OUT THE DOOR!"

but the scariest one had to have been "Rosemary's Baby." *shudder* nightmares.

The Ring freaked me out so much that even after all these years the words "The Ring" make me tense. The rational part of my brain is going "dude, absolutely none of this is plausible in any way" but, well, I've had to look at my TV three times while writing this to reassure myself. I get this way when the girls from the Shining are mentioned, too, even though that movie didn't scare me as much. Most other ghost/paranormal movies don't scare me at all (in fact they mostly leave me bored). Paranormal activity made me tense the night I watched it, but didn't have any lasting effects (except that I have used it several times to explain conditioning to people who can't connect pavlov's dogs to their own lives).

Archived