IGNORED

Boy Drowns at Fairhaven Baptist

funyuns_and_fundies

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Guys I got curious about this Church so I was having a little nosey at their website and the academy's website. 

There's a teacher listed named Meghan Case so I did a quick google and found a registry for a Meghan and Adam Case from Chesterton Indiana. 

If this Adam was the poster it would explain A LOT 

You're smart! 

I tried to do some websleuthing and came up with nothing, so resorted to scouring the ministry page to see who looked the biggest dickhead and could possibly be Adam/Marv. It was a fun little game for a while.

Regarding Adam's absurd blabbing about not learning not to touch touch the stove and Fairhaven teaching him about it, or whatever was what he confusedly meant. It may be ascribable to pastor Voegtlin espousing the "vipers in diapers" theory. Pastor Voegtlin apparently thinks that "children are born depraved. They're born liars. They have to be trained to be good". So if a toddler burns himself with the stove it's not because it's what toddlers can do and his parents didn't supervise him, no it's because children are inherently evil sinners who need to be spanked until they turn blue and evilness is beaten out of them.

My heart aches thinking that people like Adam are parents.

38 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Regarding Adam's absurd blabbing about not learning not to touch touch the stove and Fairhaven teaching him about it, or whatever was what he confusedly meant. It may be ascribable to pastor Voegtlin espousing the "vipers in diapers" theory. Pastor Voegtlin apparently thinks that "children are born depraved. They're born liars. They have to be trained to be good". So if a toddler burns himself with the stove it's not because it's what toddlers can do and his parents didn't supervise him, no it's because children are inherently evil sinners who need to be spanked until they turn blue and evilness is beaten out of them.

That's exactly what I first thought of, but I didn't know if he was just being idiotic and spouting off nonsense or what (since he seems to do a lot of that). I didn't know the "vipers in diapers" thing was specifically taught in that church; I think I'd only heard it in connection to Voddie Baucham. I found it incredibly bizarre that he would say he touched the hot stove because he thought he knew better than his parents. That's not how toddlers even think and it just shows such profound ignorance of all aspects of child development. He seriously believes a child is capable of weighing abstract concepts such as who is more adept at determining rules and standards, but is incapable of understanding that touching hot things causes pain? Tell us more about that amazing Fairhaven education, genius...

Honestly, that whole ramble screamed of the Pearls to me.

@laPapessaGiovanna, good point. I should have realized that what he was trying to say without actually saying it, is that in his mind babies and toddlers are evil little creatures who make choices to disobey. 

If his wife works there, it would explain a lot of the "we" he used and how he pressed that nothing was the school's fault even if children left being damaged by the polcies of the school. @Adam Case is heavily invested in absolving the church/school of any guilt, even when common sense says that the school should be held responsible for treating children in a way that isn't appropriate. Parents pay us to do it, isn't a good excuse and that seems to be the only real one he had. 

Hi Folks,

@SadieJane has contacted me and I'm comfortable verifying she is local to Fairhaven.

When you say The Pearls, and really any of that, you arent far off.... The Spare the rod thinking is strong there.  They (the members, not the low income families they talk into trying them out of a week or so) Subscribe to the same fundy ways of thinking that most of our fundy baptist loves subscribe to. I am popcorning and rootbeer floating my kids right now, but I cant wait to share my stories.

@SadieJane enjoy your popcorn and root beer floats! As far as you know, are there many prominent locals associated with the church, large employers?

On 7/13/2017 at 5:10 PM, Georgiana said:

I use a program called Greenshot.  It's free!  

I wouldn't say it's my FAVORITE snipping tool I have ever used, but again....it's free!  It's great for basic stuff, but it isn't the best if you're trying to crop and layer.  I also use it to create my profile pics!

I like Jing for screenshots -- you can crop to the specific image you want before saving the image.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

@SadieJane enjoy your popcorn and root beer floats! As far as you know, are there many prominent locals associated with the church, large employers?

Hey, sorry we detoured to the county fair. So as far as local employers, something you have to know is that Fairhaven is Huge. They have their own school, uni, and church and They mostly hire from within.  One of the outreaches that they do offer, and I will give them this is a substance recovery program. Our area, being close to Chicago, and still under a recession (trust me we haven't come out of it yet), is huge in drug use, namely heroin, and I am sure the local courts and police have a hand in that, (or appreciate it in its own way as substance programs and mental healthcare is extremely underfunded in its own way. I can assure you that Fairhaven has its hands in local and state politics.

When Mike Pence was the governor one of the things that was taking place was a voucher program that would make faith based education more accessable to the masses, and it could be funded by government taxes.... Think on that for a minute.  Okay back to the point of this, 

Pence was looking for a way to make Christian based preschools become a part of this, so he decided to create a board to look into matters. 

Pence then formed Advance America's board, led by Attorney Eric Miller and had prominent Baptists like Voegtlin on the board, even though Voegtlin himself was jailed after starting Fairhaven. I know it is said that Voegtlin is no longer connected with the church but I am sure anyone who does just the wee little bit of digging can see that he is still a big deal around there, though no one out and out says that. 

With all that said, and know that the voucher program touches a nerve to me because while public schools are hugely underfunded in the state of Indiana, tax money is being used to fund private christian schools under the terms of "charter",  It shouldn't surprise anyone that they are so deeply involved in the politics, as it is a huge part in there church culture and practice to preach "patriotism" so long as you vote on the right side of the party line. (The girl whos wedding photos i took is currently shunning me for my political beliefs, and i'm bitter. lol)

Also, let me state, that as far as I know, and this is not connected to any of the above, but I thought it would add some interesting tidbits in, this church will shun you if you date out of your race.... This might have seemed all over the place, but honestly I am reaching back to my outrage from 2012 with the whole Pence thing, and I laughed at my friend when she told me about the dating out of your race thing.... like rellly??

@SadieJane thank you for your response!  I live on the complete opposite side of Chicago near the Illinois Wisconsin border, and know almost nothing of this church.

A drug program is a good way to get new recruits, if not the addicts themselves grateful family members. No doubt some people are helped. Addiction is devastating.

Are you there there, God, it's me, Emigirl. Please don't let them is be near where I'm moving next year. Please and thank you.

Lmao.... Welcome to the region, if it is where you are moving... We at least have a great lake, and chicago!

3 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Pence was looking for a way to make Christian based preschools become a part of this, so he decided to create a board to look into matters. 

As if I didn't already have enough reasons to hate this fucker.

Not surprised that an asshat like Pence would be BFFs with the Fairhaven crowd or that they're heavily into political influence at all levels of government. How else would they stay one step ahead and never be accountable for the evil they've done?

43 minutes ago, SadieJane said:

Lmao.... Welcome to the region, if it is where you are moving... We at least have a great lake, and chicago!

It's not right near where we will be moving,  but not far enough away for my comfort!

Thank you! Never lived anywhere other than my hometown in tennessee except for when I was in college an hour away. So I'm nervous to say the least. 

10 hours ago, SadieJane said:

but I thought it would add some interesting tidbits in, this church will shun you if you date out of your race.... This might have seemed all over the place, but honestly I am reaching back to my outrage from 2012 with the whole Pence thing, and I laughed at my friend when she told me about the dating out of your race thing.... like rellly??

I asked @Adam Case a few pages back if this was still a thing. Back in my day, the college could actually expel you if you dated "interracially." It wasn't a well-discussed rule, so you didn't really know about it until you were already on campus. It was screwy. 

8 hours ago, SadieJane said:

I am also in the region, welcome also.

1 hour ago, polecat said:

I asked @Adam Case a few pages back if this was still a thing. Back in my day, the college could actually expel you if you dated "interracially." It wasn't a well-discussed rule, so you didn't really know about it until you were already on campus. It was screwy. 

Nothing like a little blatant racism to show the love of God. Religion and racism seems like they wouldn't go together, but all too often they do. I say this as a member of a formerly all-white congregation that has intentionally embraced diversity as a key value, but still has some issues in this area.

10 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I'm wondering if it's anything like Narconon... ugh.

I'd be willing to bet that Fairhaven's substance abuse program resembles that Reformers Anonymous program where they sent Josh Duggar.  @SadieJane may know whether or not it is residential.  Thanks, SadieJane for all the info.

As far as the rest - Fairhaven reminds me of Doug Wilson taking over the town of Moscow, Idaho.  

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

(snip)

Nothing like a little blatant racism to show the love of God. Religion and racism seems like they wouldn't go together, but all too often they do. I say this as a member of a formerly all-white congregation that has intentionally embraced diversity as a key value, but still has some issues in this area.

Ah, bless their little cotton socks.

"But...aren't you worried about how the children will fit in?", "Don't you think that your kids will have identity issues?", "We're just worried about the children!", "Culture is such a big issue, so don't you think, well... you know?"

Those are some comments my parents got, when they got married in their German Catholic community. Oddly enough, in all of my years on this planet, I have never found my biracial identity to be an issue, unless others made it one. My parents met, fell in love, got married, started a family, and here I go having to unload a dishwasher. Again. If anyone fancies talking about "well...you know" while I do that, I'm game. No, I don't know. I just live my life, like everyone else.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'd be willing to bet that Fairhaven's substance abuse program resembles that Reformers Anonymous program where they sent Josh Duggar.  @SadieJane may know whether or not it is residential.  Thanks, SadieJane for all the info.

As far as the rest - Fairhaven reminds me of Doug Wilson taking over the town of Moscow, Idaho.  

So yeah, its not residential, its more like a Narcanon, only chuck full of brain washing with a whooooooooooole lotta Jesus. We had a neighbor who went thru it, and While he is still a really nice guy, he  practically beats us with the King James version talk if we discuss anything religious with him. Its an easy way to take a group of vulnerable people and make them super fundy.

15 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

Are you there there, God, it's me, Emigirl. Please don't let them is be near where I'm moving next year. Please and thank you.

If you are actually buying a home or property stay out of Illinois if at all possible! The taxes are astounding and keep getting worse, while services are being cut more and more. Something has to give.

4 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

If you are actually buying a home or property stay out of Illinois if at all possible! The taxes are astounding and keep getting worse, while services are being cut more and more. Something has to give.

Fortunately we're going to be in indiana

Archived