IGNORED

Jinjer: Throwing Shade since April 9, 2017

Coconut Flan

20 minutes ago, Baaaaaabe said:

@Casserole I have asthma and allergies and eczema and can't do hardly any scented products.  Not your mother's unscented dry shampoo doesn't give me any problems. It seems like you've got another solution, but I know how hard it can be to find products so I wanted to share in case it's helpful.

Thanks! Lush's "No Drought" dry shampoo was working great for me... and then I read the ingredients and it's cornstarch and grapefruit essential oil with a few other fillers. That's when I realized I was wasting a bit of money on the fancy stuff. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that wavy hair scale someone posted a few pages back.  I am a 2a, which honestly is the worst one, I think because unlike the other two,  it just looks messy unless you either curl it more, or straighten it.  if I had 2b or 2a, I would just let it air dry most of the time.  But 2a always looks messy and unkempt.

I tend to straighten my hair, but the reason I do it is because I can do it once, and then my hair stays straight for a good 3 days or 4 if it isn't humid or I haven't worked out and gotten super sweaty.    So even though straightening is hard on the hair, since I only do it about once every 4 days it really doesn't damage my hair much.  Usually I wash my hair on Sunday evening, straighten it and then Monday- Wed,  it is good to go with just running a comb through it after I get out of bed.  Then I wash again on Thursday morning and unless I have a big meeting or presentation to make, I let it air dry or just 'surface dry" it.  Before I go to bed on Thursday I straighten it and then I am good Fri-Sun. 

Once in a blue moon, all the stars will align and I will wash my hair and it will dry with really nice waves all on its own, but of course, that never seems to happen on a day where I am going anywhere.  It is usually on the day that I am cleaning out the garage or digging in the garden. 

For me the worst part about not straightening it is that if I sleep on it in when I let it wavy, it looks terrible in the morning and is nearly impossible to straighten or even put in a nice curl.  So straightening really is a time saver for me in the long run. 

For those of us with darker hair, a light dusting of coco powder also works as dry shampoo - and it smells yummy

I usually wash my hair everyday. When I'm sick and can't, I use Suave dry shampoo. I spray it on, work it in, let it set for a minute, and brush it out. It has a nice clean smell.

8 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I usually wash my hair everyday. When I'm sick and can't, I use Suave dry shampoo. I spray it on, work it in, let it set for a minute, and brush it out. It has a nice clean smell.

Lol, ironically that is the same dry shampoo the duggar girls said they use in a hair tutorial they did.

Yep, my hair is somewhat wavy but in an ugly way. Nobody had to tell me it does not look good, I can tell that all by myself. At any given time, one side will be wavier than the other side, drives me batshit crazy. I keep my hair relatively short, just below my ear lobes so it is easy to blow dry it, either straight or at least a smoother look. 

I finally watched the new episode. Jeremy's comment was not that big of a deal. The producer asked him what their one-year plan was, and he described their current life. Since having a baby is uncertain and takes almost a year, of course he wouldn't have mentioned that as part of their plans. Then the producer asked for a five-year plan, and naturally he felt comfortable mentioning having a family. 

On 6/12/2017 at 2:06 AM, Palindrome said:

Jinger looks so young in that photo! 

I thought so too. She is so small. It looks like she is 12.

I spent my whole life being criticized by every one under the sun about my hair.  I'm 2b/2c.  I have finally found what works for me.  I wash with water only every three days, and and use oil on it right after.  

Finger comb on day one - i like it best.   Use real comb, once only day two - ok, not best but ok.  Comb and let it be "full" on day three, not my favourite by a long shot, but if I "wash" it more often it gets so dry.  

I pretty well hate June- August as the weather is hard on my hair too.

I also have hair similar to that in 2A.  I used to straighten it every day for years, but that was absolutely terrible for my hair and I stopped caring so much about it about halfway through undergrad.  Ever since then, I've just done my best to embrace my frizzy, wavy hair.  It helps to keep it on the longer side so that it weighs itself down and doesn't puff out as much.

I recently started washing it every other day instead of every day; it's usually straighter and less frizzy that second day but I'm still at the point where it feels too gross to not wash it a third day in a row.  If it's unruly, then i'll tie it up in a ponytail or just tie back the top frizziest layers.

I also noticed that before Jinger and Jeremy ate their meal, she led them in prayer. Isn't that totally against Gothard's "spiritual leader" crap?

I have type 2A hair and I find what works best to minimise the frizz is having it tied up for a few hours or so. Once I take it down it then looks a lot better and I find most of the frizz is gone. 

My hair was something like 2A for a few months.  I'm a little disappointed that it went straight again.

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I also noticed that before Jinger and Jeremy ate their meal, she led them in prayer. Isn't that totally against Gothard's "spiritual leader" crap?

It will vary between couples and is definitely not a specific rule. In my family, as a female, I do pray before meals and out loud at church functions (like a prayer meeting). But usually a man will open/close a meeting in prayer (like a Bible study), and my husband prays for us before we go to sleep.

As for the Duggars, Michelle has prayed before stuff on the show (I can't remember if it was Bible time or a meal...I believe it was the Trading Places episode I am remembering). So I don't think it's against anything.

I have/had poker straight brown hair. Unfortunately - all my greys are coming in curly and thicker/stronger than my usual hairs. If it's sticking out, it's white. At least my greys are mostly pure white though. I'm having a hard time deciding when I should stop dyeing and let the white take its course. I have visions of beautiful long white hair - but I'm afraid of a wirey grey curly birds' nest...

OMG - and this is the most horrific!!! :

You know the little mole you have which grows a hair or two? Mine has decided to grow four pure white hard bristles. Fuck me. I'm old.

I'm reading all this thinking I just wish my hair would stick around. About a year ago I was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia and my hair keeps falling out. The prescribed treatment is Rogaine and it isn't helping.

Jinger's reaction (not just her words) during the pregnancy interrogation by her sisters leads me to believe that they've:

1. not been abstaining (which I'd never even heard of until reading this forum - whattt?????)

2. not been preventing pregnancy via mechanical or hormonal processes

3. been surprised that they're not expecting a baby

Y'all. My heart hurts for her if she truly wants a baby and isn't pregnant. 

3 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

It will vary between couples and is definitely not a specific rule. In my family, as a female, I do pray before meals and out loud at church functions (like a prayer meeting). But usually a man will open/close a meeting in prayer (like a Bible study), and my husband prays for us before we go to sleep.

As for the Duggars, Michelle has prayed before stuff on the show (I can't remember if it was Bible time or a meal...I believe it was the Trading Places episode I am remembering). So I don't think it's against anything.

Do you currently consider yourself 'fundie'? I've recently been trying to keep my eyes out for FJ members that publicly state they are still fundie/QF/whatever; adds a good perspective to the conversation but I'm not aware of a great many here that have 'outed' themselves.  

@calimojo,  I was the one (or one of the ones) that posted the Andre Walker typing system they use on NaturallyCurly.com.   While I'm a 3A (I think) and eschew combs and brushes, not all curly girls do, especially the Type 4 girls.  (These women/men would have ZigZag and Fractal curls in the Deva system.)  I was reminded of this today when I watched a few videos that had been posted on the NaturallyCurly site.  There were Twist-outs, Braid-outs, Finger Coils and Bantu Knots and these women used brushes, combs and Tangle Teasers to help style their hair.  I could probably do Bantu knots because they're itty bitty buns all over your head and I used to be great at buns, but I'm not going to culturally appropriate Bantu knots.  Doing Twist-Outs, Braid-Outs and Bantu Knots give women with Type 4 hair a little more choice in the hair styles.

I just need a good haircut -eventually.  I went to this one stylist who has great reviews and is Deva Level 3 certified, but man she was not good with my hair.  My hair looks awful right now.

1 minute ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Do you currently consider yourself 'fundie'? I've recently been trying to keep my eyes out for FJ members that publicly state they are still fundie/QF/whatever; adds a good perspective to the conversation but I'm not aware of a great many here that have 'outed' themselves.  

My life is similar to what she listed; woman can pray but the men open/close. 

I don't consider myself to be fundie anymore, but it's been a rough battle. Born and raised in that atmosphere, it's hard to change. Getting there, though! Really helped when my sister came out of the closest and married a woman; it really forced my family to realize where our loyalties lie - with a church or with our family. 

15 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Yes, I would consider myself "fundie." I attend a non-denominational church with deep Baptist roots. I am married and my husband is the "spiritual leader" of our home. I wear skirts, although I can wear pants if I want to (husband is okay with pants). We have deep beliefs in regards to children, the poor, sustainability, family, and of course, Jesus...etc. So we aren't exactly like the Duggars but still fundamental in many of our beliefs. We are also not conservative/Republican politically. (We are capitalist libertarian). I did not grow up this way, but over time have ended up where I am. My husband grew up conservative, although his (immediate) family did not agree with ATI and never participated. We have extended family who were ATI. I've been reading on FJ since probably 2008.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for your comments! Brave of you! I suspect lots of fundies lurk here but don't want to be attacked on here when they have an opposing view. 

Just now, FleeJanaFree said:

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for your comments! Brave of you! I suspect lots of fundies lurk here but don't want to be attacked on here when they have an opposing view. 

I attended a public 4 year university so I am used to reading and having opposing view points. Plus the libertarian/basic human part of me understands that every can have their own views. :) I think there are a lot of areas that are misrepresented about fundamental Christianity (like sex) and others that our favorite fundies do a terrible job of representing. Which is why they are snarked about I suppose. But people like JRod do make even me upset because of things like the overdone make up, lack of general safety....yeah. And (to keep this semi-on topic) there is even more confusion about the different areas of fundamentalism. JinJer are obviously ultra Calvinistic, would-have-been-VF-royality. JRod (for example since I mentioned her before) is a basic IFB grifter.

13 hours ago, aurora_boo said:

You know the little mole you have which grows a hair or two? Mine has decided to grow four pure white hard bristles. Fuck me. I'm old.

Pluck those effers- It's like a PT job!

51 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I think everybody knows I'm fundie. Though  I suppose different people would consider me fundie, fundie-lite, or just Evangelical Christian. (I think the last one makes me shudder most lol.) I am NOT quiverfull, and many, if not most, fundies aren't. Not strictly anyway. We may agree with certain aspects of QF, but hardcore adherents are rarer than you'd imagine. 

I post a lot more in recent years, but I tend to keep it short. Obviously, I'm not a good writer, and I find long posts, particularly when a good debate gets going, to be far too time-consuming for my poor writing skills. 

But I really enjoy FJ, even when it frustrates me. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived