IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

I always want to read the book first. Watching the movie first puts images in my head that I can't get rid of. When I read I want to create my own images. It usually does ruin the movie though. It's never as good and everything always look wrong. :)

Yeah, actually, I totally get that. Are there any movies you've liked more than the books despite having experienced both? Different isn't always a bad thing, and some adaptations have been really awesome.  

If only there could be some sort of memory-deleting device that people could use just so that they could get to experience their favourite fiction over and over again with an unbiased mind each time. Of course, that'd get into the wrong hands and cause all kinds of havoc so maybe it's not worth getting to enjoy movies and books in the same way.

I can dream, though. 

I did enjoy both versions of The Girl On The Train, but then that just be because I've always enjoyed watching Emily Blunt's films. Which reminds me that I probably should read my copy of The Devil Wears Prada that's been collecting dust on my bookshelf for what, like, seven billions years now?

I swear, as soon as classes are over and I'm free for the summer, I'll be in the great outdoors (my back garden) with a book at hand and a bucket of sun cream every single day :D

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Clearly I need to up my game and actually invest in this desire more, haha. 

Anyone else getting the illustrated editions?

I have the first two and love them. Book 3 is my favorite so I am absolutely getting it. I think the illustrations and gorgeous. Just my opinion!

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@VelociRapture Never say too young for Harry Potter. My friend wanted to reread them so she read them aloud to her baby.

I've thought about that. Velocibaby will be 6 months on Monday and she's getting very vocal and she's trying hard to be mobile - she constantly babbles (so cute) and is constantly squirming (she managed to roll belly to back twice since yesterday.) So she doesn't have the attention span necessary for chapter books just yet. Lol!

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have several versions of the HP books as well. I buy a new one every time we're in London. I love the British versions, which aren't "dumbed down" for the "average American" reader. :)

I'm on the fence about buying the illustrated versions, although I love thumbing through them in the stores. 

I have a full set in English and a full set in Japanese. I cant read japanese but I just had to get it. 

I would love to get the british versions. I wonder if I can get them online...

10 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@VelociRapture Never say too young for Harry Potter. My friend wanted to reread them so she read them aloud to her baby.

I read them aloud to my son now! Ever since he was born. Husband and I take turns (he does voices, I do not) we are on Goblet of Fire and my kid is 2.5 and asks if it's time for Harry Potter :my_rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I've thought about that. Velocibaby will be 6 months on Monday and she's getting very vocal and she's trying hard to be mobile - she constantly babbles (so cute) and is constantly squirming (she managed to roll belly to back twice since yesterday.) So she doesn't have the attention span necessary for chapter books just yet. Lol!

Don't you want her first word to be, "GRYFFINDOR!!!" velocibaby sounds adorable 

1 minute ago, Ace3 said:

I read them aloud to my son now! Ever since he was born. Husband and I take turns (he does voices, I do not) we are on Goblet of Fire and my kid is 2.5 and asks if it's time for Harry Potter :my_rolleyes:

Hahaha that's amazing! 

4 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I have a full set in English and a full set in Japanese. I cant read japanese but I just had to get it. 

I would love to get the british versions. I wonder if I can get them online...

Amazon.co.uk   :)   We order a lot of stuff from the UK Amazon site, simply because it's cheaper than hauling home a ton of not-available-in-America stuff every three-or-so months. lol

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Don't you want her first word to be, "GRYFFINDOR!!!" velocibaby sounds adorable 

Hahaha that's amazing! 

I'm actually hoping her first word is my dog's name. Or my nephew's name. She adores them both and I'd die of adorable if she managed that. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm actually hoping her first word is my dog's name. Or my nephew's name. She adores them both and I'd die of adorable if she managed that. :pb_lol:

That would be so cute! Or woof. Or rawr since she's part velociraptor. :pb_lol: 

I think my cousin's kid's first word was "Mickey." (Which shows how much that family loves Disney).

18 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Make no assumptions. My son's first recognizable word was "car". :my_rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Make no assumptions. My son's first recognizable word was "car". :my_rolleyes:

My daughter's first word was "ticky." (Kitty)

My son's first word was "hey!" I thought he was just babbling at first but it's the first thing he said to every single person that walked into his view. :pb_lol: 

My eldest daughter 's first word was shoes.  Youngest was Tigger.

Eldest is a shoe aholic.  Youngest would be a Disney princess if that was a career choice in Australia.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have several versions of the HP books as well. I buy a new one every time we're in London. I love the British versions, which aren't "dumbed down" for the "average American" reader. :)

They're not really "dumbed down," they just substituted American words for British ones. If you want to geek out on it, the Harry Potter Lexicon has lists of the changes- https://www.hp-lexicon.org/differences-changes-text/

The first word I heard my GD say was "glasses". She was reaching for my specs and I said "those are Mimi's glasses," and C. looked right at me and said as clear as could be, "glasses." I almost peed my pants. Remember this is a little girl who lives in So America and who lives in bilingual home.

Back in the day when we bought this house (4 bed/2bath) we added on two "libraries" One onto the master bedroom and one on to the youngest son's bedroom. The rooms are mirror images of each other and between them outside is a covered patio. The rooms have floor to ceiling bookcases on one wall. The office has 3 tall bookcases in it. Since the boys left home, the youngest son's room became my craft room. I bought those canvas cubes to store my yarn in and they fit perfectly in the bookshelf. When the boys were home, the bookcases were filled with books. They got books in their Easter Baskets, books for birthdays and Christmas. If we went to the store and they had been good, they knew I was good for buying them a book. This year for Christmas, my gr daughter got her own tall bookcase for all her books. We are most definitely a reading family.

The books I haven't seen mentioned are the books by Nancy E. Turner.....These Is My Words, Sarah's Quilt and The Star Garden. I would have to say these are among my favorite books of all time.

http://nancyeturner.net/books.htm

Here is the bookcase in my craft room.

WIN_20170602_20_09_47_Pro.jpg

3 hours ago, Escadora said:

Yeah, actually, I totally get that. Are there any movies you've liked more than the books despite having experienced both? Different isn't always a bad thing, and some adaptations have been really awesome.  

I agree that watching the movie first makes you see the book with the images from the movie.

I know you weren't asking me but IMO, Twilight. The books were horrendous. The movies were only awful. 

The language difference is real.

Once upon a time in college/university the British guy sitting next to me in class asked if he could borrow a rubber. After spending a minute pondering 1) why he was asking me, 2) why he thought I had one in class, and 3) why he only wanted to borrow it, I went ahead and gave him the condom I happened to have in my purse. So yeah, it turns out that a rubber is an eraser. 

I also know another British guy who used to work at a gift shop kiosk at a ferry terminal. Some Americans once came up asking if he had any fanny packs. He wondered around for a bit before deciding that they must be looking for tampons and got them a box. 

In the words of Churchill, "Two countries divided by a common language."

Surely the language differences were easier to bridge if we didn't "translate" everything from British to American English, though. I have full faith that Americans could eventually figure out what satsumas are even if they call them mandarins or tangerines. :my_angel:

24 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I have full faith that Americans could eventually figure out what satsumas are even if they call them mandarins or tangerines. :my_angel:

I've lived outside of the US for most of the last decade, including Europe (so all English language tv channels were out of the UK). I have very few friends that speak American English. All employment correspondence since leaving the US has been in British English. I would have thought I was pretty well versed in he differences in vocabulary and spellings.

Yet I've never heard or seen the word satsuma outside of this thread. I hadn't the faintest idea what it was until someone else translated it. 

ETA: I guess that's a long winded way of saying I understand why they change the text, especially where one word has two very different meanings or a word that isn't used at all. It goes both ways too, as I've purchased plenty of books by American authors while in the U.K. that have had American spellings and vocabulary switched for British ones. It's not about dumbing things down. It's about making it flow in such  way that it seems natural to the reader. 

10 hours ago, Letizia said:

I think sorcerer has a far more magical connotation than philosopher? Philosophy sort of makes a lot of people think of ancient learned Greek men.

But the Philospher's Stone has a long history, going back through the centuries, so it sets the book not just in a random world of "magic", but in a long cultural tradition.  And if kids don't know anything about it, it still sounds intriguing, and it's something they can also explore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher's_stone

I just think it's sad that the USA publishers looked at the title, and thought USA audiences would find it too intellectual, so changed it.  I know JKR approved the new title, but it's definitely in a different category to swapping biscuit to cookie.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived