IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

26 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I was searching for some of Jinger's photography, and found this case. Was it ever discussed? 

http://www.lisamacphotography.com/jinger-duggar-jill-jess-counting-on-the-morgan-family/

That's a pretty interesting look behind the scenes. I think that photographer did a great job of weighing the pros and cons of opening to TLC, and then doing that family justice when their story wasn't featured. I wonder why not? It sounds so much more interesting than the nonsense that HAS made it onto Counting On.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, cascarones said:

they're a little too Hufflepuff to really burn him off the family tapestry.

I love this so much!

Did Jinger really study photography?  The article says she shadowed someone for a few hours.   That is not studying, she is a young woman who was not given an education in anything except select bible verses.   Jinger is probably self taught with a good quality digital, and she was interested enough work hard at it and artistic enough to do a good job.  I give her credit to have pursued something that was probably considered ungodly by her philistine parents.

My daughter interviewed to get into a middle school with a photography program. She went before the teacher and the assistant principal with her favorite photos and explained where and why she took them, this was to eliminate parent provided portfolios. She then  went on to a high school that also had an amazing program.   She is 30 now so the work she did was on film.  She took OSHA safety classes before she could handle darkroom chemicals plus chemistry to understand the processes.  Art classes for composition, etc.  That is studying photography.  She did not go on to a career in it, but the attention to detail taught has helped in her IT job.

I give Jinger a pass for having fun with photoshop, I can imagine she can enjoy the control she has over her own work, without it being a JB approved assignment.

I am very happy for Jinger, she is finally getting a taste of what the world has to offer. Yes, I realize that shorts, pants, sleeveless dresses, pumps instead of flip flops, etc. doesn't sound like much but it is a start. I love to read, always have, love my kindle. So glad that she is showing an interest in reading. I am hoping that there is no Vuolo pregnancy announcement anytime soon. Would love to see that cycle broken. I think Jeremy's mom and sister may have played a part in this as well. Mrs. Vuolo looks great and they only have two children, isn't that right? I know Jeremy has some wackadoodle ideas and that's not good but he is growing on me. I wouldn't mind having a tall handsome man take me on dates, and call me "my love". Mr. Cow doesn't do romance and he's a different kind of wackadoodle.  Maybe I should try calling him "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe".

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Did Jinger really study photography?  The article says she shadowed someone for a few hours.  

I imagine she got some photoshoping tips from the cameraperson. My son is very much into video making/shooting/editing and he is pretty skilled in photoshop and has taken a couple classes to learn new tricks, so I would guess tht the crew there has some skills that they shared with her and others that wanted to learn. 

2 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

She's not that untrained though. She took Dullard's engagement photos and is "the family photographer", so I think she can do better than the artsy instagram photos.

I beg to differ on this.  There is a world of difference between taking family snap shots (I will not call them portraits) and delving into the world of still life. She is begining to try to make the mundane less so, trying to create interest with depth of field and flow lines...albiet she is doing so with the use of filters instead of utilizing the f stops on her camera.  If she truly enjoying this, and striving to create art there is a learning curve.  Trial and error, and many happy accidents.  I still give her kudos.

Hopefully she's beyond making Josiah lie down in the grass with his cello. God, that was awkward. 

Can I just say that I love this thread! The very title of this site speaks to the fact that years ago, Duggar observers saw a spark in Jinger that was begging for ignition. Here we are, years later, having an in-depth discussion about Harry Potter (of all topics) in Jinger's thread. This is no coincidence.

That's why I was thoroughly shocked when a few months ago people were saying that Jinger wearing shorts/pants meant nothing because they have seen other fundies do it. 

But this is a Duggar...! Do you know the amount of bravery it took for her to pose in public this way? This was an efu to her parents even if not deliberately. I know she has since been limiting full body shots, but her initial inclination goes against the Duggars brand completely.

That takes bravery and courage. I place Jinger solidly in Gryffindor and make sure you sort her man in there right along with her.

I was raised evangelical in a church many would call fundie moderate, I suppose. lol Can I tell you all how long it took me to stand up for myself, to be honest about what I felt, to not fear isolation and disowning. I know many of you share similar backgrounds, but I must reiterate that the struggle is real. Many of us whose entire families are emerged in these lifestyles end up living some sort of double lifestyle if we do not have the gumption to risk it all.

I am proud of Jinjer. She may never be anything short of a conservative Christian in lifestyle/projection but she is slowly but surely freeing herself. Yes much of it is Jeremy's influence but I think she wants this for herself too. Non denom Christianity is oceans apart from fundamentalism. However it is still in the same religion. We can only hope for so much.

The rest of the adult family-

Slytherins- Josh, Jill ,Jessa, Joe

Ravenclaw- Michelle, Jana, The Twins

Hufflepuff- John David, Joy 

Gryffindor-Jim Bob, Jinger, Josiah

I just want to add something about Michelle Duggar.  She runs that family. Yes, Jana runs the actual household but Michelle sets the standards. She is the one who insists on following male centered patriarchial sub culture because it makes her feel safe. Jim Bob is only a cover who appreciates pretend authority when she allows him to have it. This is not to say JB is a benign character in the scheme of things; he uses his personality and connections to influence politics etc. in a concerning way. But Michelle is responsible for the maintenance of the squeaky clean image (albeit false or not) and the heavy reliance on fundamental norms being replicated by their offspring. She is like Glenn Close in stepford wives. 

Books and moving...we won't discuss what my hubby says every time we move...I need more bookcases. Oh and I HATE trying to read books on my nook. I mean HATE it. I prefer the weight, the smell, the feel of a real book. 

Sometimes I feel like the only avid reader in the world who doesn't collect books. I use the library. I checked out a book this morning and have already finished it. It had 413 pages. I don't always read a book a day but usually 3-5 a week. I own maybe 10 books. If I want to re-read a book I check it out from the library again.

Tell me there are other readers like me.

I just checked out her IG…Jeremy looks like such a pretentious fucking douchebag in his golfing outfits. So lame and thirsty for attention. Embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Does Jeremy golf?

In fact, that photo on IG might be from the bachelor party golf thing. I was thinking he'd dressed like that AGAIN lol.  

8 hours ago, Kailash said:
Sometimes I feel like the only avid reader in the world who doesn't collect books. I use the library. I checked out a book this morning and have already finished it. It had 413 pages. I don't always read a book a day but usually 3-5 a week. I own maybe 10 books. If I want to re-read a book I check it out from the library again.

You are not alone!!   I read an average of 200 books/year. Mostly library and borrowed books.

Well, Jeremy did golf for the bachelor party, which is where that outfit originated. It was shown on Counting On. 

47 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I live in a small space so I have a few books, some in storage, others on my Kindle but the rest I get from my library.  

On 5/31/2017 at 1:40 PM, GnomeCat said:

I have to agree that Snape is a very complex character.

Yes!  He's written so brilliantly that valid arguments can be made both for him being a good guy and being a bad guy.  I think he was a good guy who had to treat Harry like shit to not tip off Voldemort, but also found some bit of pleasure in what he had to do because Harry was part of James, but that it was also hard for him because Harry was part of Lily.  But he really also was protective overall of Harry, and wouldn't let him die.  Since the books are written from Harry's perspective, it's so simple to see Snape as just an asshole, but when looking at Snape as an adult, you see he was pretty fucked up because of his experiences, and he was pretty quick to turn on Voldemort at deadly risk to himself when he knew Voldy really would kill even babies.  Snape also shows how no support and being bullied can push people into gangs to try to find some acceptance, even if it's dangerous and bad.  If he hadn't been bullied so bad, especially with no support from his parents, I don't think he would have ended up going the way he did.   He definitely did bad shit, but in a world where spells can be cast so that just saying a name can cause something to happen, it gets to be easier to see why he didn't just walk away.  Even Narscisa, who loved her son more than anything, couldn't escape when her son was in danger.  Could Snape really have left so easy?  And even if he could, the intel he got was valuable.   It brings in the question of if you'd smother a crying baby to death to save a room full of people in hiding.

It's not an easy answer.  He's just too complex and well written for it to be easy.

2 hours ago, Kailash said:

I am! I read at about the same rate as you, but I own very few books. In the past I always used the library for paper books and now I always use it for Kindle books. I love to read but I almost never reread a book so I have no desire to own them. I'll usually keep a book on my Kindle for a couple days after I finish reading it just in case there's anything I want to look at again, and then I ruthlessly delete it without a second thought. It's funny because I actually have some hoarding tendencies in general, but luckily not with books, or I'd have a lot less money and a lot less space.

I do have hundreds of unread books on my Kindle though. And when I read that if we have the big earthquake they've been trying to scare us about for decades in the Pacific NW, we'll probably be without power for weeks or months, I bought a solar power bank, so I'm all set. I'd be devastated to be without wifi but at least I'll have my books!

On 5/31/2017 at 3:36 PM, Jana814 said:

I'm glad that Jinger seems to emphasizing books. Maybe she can learn more about the real world and who know it might change her views on stuff. 

It's probably a new world to her.  Not being stuck with just the bible and tracts!  Maybe there's hope for her yet of escaping.

On 5/31/2017 at 3:48 PM, mlsgregg said:

I took a quiz thing and got Ravenclaw. Since I've not read the series, I know next to nothing about this. I'm seeing things like "studious" and "eccentric" which are pretty accurate descriptors for me. Is Ravenclaw a good thing?

All the houses have their good qualities and bad, and being in any house doesn't mean you can't have a lot of qualities of other houses.  The dominant trait is what defined each house.  Ravenclaws are studious.  Slytherins are survivors.  Gryffindors are known for bravery.   Hufflepuffs are accepting.  But Ravenclaws are also more likely to be conceited.  Slytherins are more likely to be able their own survival first.  Gryffindors are more reckless.   Hufflepuffs are often push-overs and doormats.  Not everyone has all the negatives listed there so much, like Luna, who was as not conceited as can be, but who loved to learn, even if what she learned was questionable.  She was bullied by other Ravenclaws who thought they were better than her.  Draco's mom is a Slytherin, and her son came before everything in her world.  When he was in danger, she took some risks that could have resulted in her own death, putting someone else ahead of her (and we later see Lucious, Draco's father, do the same).

Every house has good reasons to want to be in them.

18 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Books Jinger should read: 

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning--it emphasizes mercy over legalism.

That's a great list - and the not snipped probably has a fairly reasonably degree of possibility b/c I suspect Jeremy knows and would be cool w/ RM.  And thanks because I'm going to check out the one on it I didn't know since it sounds good also! (Sotah)

Wisdom Hunter (Christian fiction - so highly unlikely) is a great one that addresses legalism also.  And even less likely, but one of the most fascinating reads/audiobook listens (done by the author, which I always prefer even if they aren't as good at  narrating it) is The Unlikely Disciple.  The latter is very interesting because it's an 'outsiders' perspective after going 'undercover' as a student at Liberty University.

Anyone with any degree of Christian/church background (from fundie to mainstream) would probably find at least some part (at least) thought-provoking if not convicting in at least some aspect of his experiences, and for many, probably some elements to also be relatable, regardless of their degree of previous faith experience.

And for someone with no previous experience with longer term interactions with (particularly with mostly much more conservative or fundie populations) I think it provides some interesting insight as someone (the author) who has virtually no real experience in that community tries to understand it and even grows to appreciate some components that he never imagined finding anything redeemable in.

I listened to it and then read it, as well, and found the audio version even more interesting since you hear his actual inflection and different nuances stood out to me since he actually narrated it. (And this is is coming from someone who MUCH prefers to read things typically - as many collection of books larger than many libraries would attest to :my_smile:!)

Most FJ folks would actually probably find it surprisingly insightful in terms of perspective on many of the families we follow here since there are many common threads/values/beliefs.

On 5/31/2017 at 4:12 PM, Lurky said:

I know you'll all hate me, but can I just say how much I have always hated the whole Sorting malarky?  It really, really annoys me that in JKR's world, kids are labelled and put into Houses and told "this is what your personality is like" and can never, ever change, and then get judged for the rest of their lives. 

The sorting hat took into consideration what the person wanted.  It wanted to put Harry in Slytherin, but Harry asked not to be, and was put in another house.  There's nothing wrong with trying to assign kids who will be living together for years with other kids more likely to be like them instead of just pulling names out of hats and saying they live in a room together for 7 years.  And not all personalities in a house were the same.  Neville and Hermione were as different as night and day.

it's not helped by how JKR writes it as Gryffindor being the best of the best. 

No, she doesn't.  She shows them being reckless and stupid, and at times I wanted to reach into the book and smack those kids for being idiots.  The house shown in the positive most was Hufflepuff.  They were doormats and pushovers, but only because they were accepting to a fault.

And just being in a house didn't mean a person was always that dominant trait.  Neville was pretty chicken a lot, and grew into a stronger, braver character.  Hermione wasn't really brave, more just better able to figure out solid tactics, and Harry's bravery was more about stupidity and conceit and knowing the risks, but thinking he'd be spared all the time.  Cedric, as a Hufflepuff, was awfully brave in the tournament.  Harry couldn't get past his dragon without finding a loophole in the rules.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:38 PM, VelociRapture said:

Yeah Slytherin gets a bad rap as the only House to produce Dark Wizards, but it also produced good witches and wizards - like Merlin, Slughorn, and Regulus Black. 

Gryffindor produced Peter Pettigrew.  I know, I know, only a few people knew that for a long time.

4 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I just want to add something about Michelle Duggar.  She runs that family. Yes, Jana runs the actual household but Michelle sets the standards. She is the one who insists on following male centered patriarchial sub culture because it makes her feel safe. Jim Bob is only a cover who appreciates pretend authority when she allows him to have it. This is not to say JB is a benign character in the scheme of things; he uses his personality and connections to influence politics etc. in a concerning way. But Michelle is responsible for the maintenance of the squeaky clean image (albeit false or not) and the heavy reliance on fundamental norms being replicated by their offspring. She is like Glenn Close in stepford wives. 

Right.  They also said she was the driving force behind them jumping into all of this.  Boob gets the blame all the time, and he shoudn't.  He could have said no, but she really started it.

Gryffindor jumping in here - on the note of HP i wasn't allowed to read it when it first came out because of the witchcraft (banned by some people in our church circle), then my friend from church was allowed so my parents read it first then to me (philosophers stone) but i read chamber of secrets without them knowing, did a deal under the snack table at church ha, then they realised it wasn't all bad (both my parents love narnia, LOTR etc so hypocrites for a short time) or rather that i understand the difference between fantasy and reality, [HP is real obvs] so they gave up and now i'm the biggest HP nerd

I think Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers could be a good one for Jinger to read. Its very popular amongst my church circles (or was as an older teen), it is also the sort of book you can recommend to others to understand God's grace and, as a pastors wife, her being able to recommend books like this cannot be a bad thing :)

I also love that she is getting some freedom now, hopefully she falls in love with books like the rest of us, books are my favourite form of escapism and i cant get enough of little bookshops and reading corners.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived