IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I read The Poisonwood Bible after someone on FJ compared the dad to Derrick, and they were totally right. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but it did have some insightful quotes. And a good lesson on respecting culture.

*snipped*

"Watching my father, I've seen how you can't learn anything when you're trying to look like the smartest person in the room" -Leah, page 229

Dear Lord, was there ever a more perfect description of JimBob?

:anyone:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

Yes!  He's written so brilliantly that valid arguments can be made both for him being a good guy and being a bad guy.  I think he was a good guy who had to treat Harry like shit to not tip off Voldemort, but also found some bit of pleasure in what he had to do because Harry was part of James, but that it was also hard for him because Harry was part of Lily.  But he really also was protective overall of Harry, and wouldn't let him die.  (snip)

It's not an easy answer.  He's just too complex and well written for it to be easy.

So many teens get into stuff (gangs etc) they suddenly realise are awful and don't know how to get out. Regulus Black did it, and he decided to try to take down a Horcrux. Look at teenage Dumbledore and Grindlewald with their ideas for 'The Greater Good'. Snape arrived from a rubbish home life only to be placed separate from his one and only friend. He was mercilessly bullied and sought protection with those available. He was only 18 when he followed the others out of school and into joining the Death Eaters properly, but by then he was probably too far in to get out already. 

Then he realised he'd made an error that would cost the one he loved her life, her families lives and he begged Dumbledore to help, and so began nearly 20 years of being a double agent, at risk of torture and death, despite the anguish of Lily's death that he could never speak to anyone about. He was surrounded by people who hated him and doubted him and had to keep secrets all around. He couldn't control his feelings towards Harry, but he protected him on numerous occassions and, despite not wanting to, he stepped in to kill Dumbledore. 

He did act like a dick, but also, we have to accept Harry was actually a bit cocky and rude to him also because he reciprocated the dislike. He was even told of his own bias at one point, and who can forget the time he was 'sleepwalking'.

I know lots of people found it controversial when Harry named his son after Snape and not Sirius or Lupin etc, butvactually Dumbledore and Snape were the two men who had the biggest impact on his life.

12 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

She's not that untrained though. She took Dullard's engagement photos and is "the family photographer", so I think she can do better than the artsy instagram photos.

I was searching for some of Jinger's photography, and found this case. Was it ever discussed? 

http://www.lisamacphotography.com/jinger-duggar-jill-jess-counting-on-the-morgan-family/

Apparently Jinger wanted to follow a photographer, and it ended up only being a web clip. 

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the photographer for highlighting the story anyhow. Best wishes to this family and many who have suffered similar losses.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:57 AM, Letizia said:
*snipped picture*

Books AND MoMA?!? Mind blown. 

ETA: Not only were they at MoMa the painting is by Duchamp.....I don't understand a universe where a Duggar grandchild is in front of a Duchamp.

Just keep repeating to yourself - Jeremy went to a liberal arts college. There's a good chance he took at least one art history class, and definitely took a good mix of classes in the humanities and social sciences. I went to a large/public university for undergrad, but the standard curriculum follows a liberal arts model, plus I have a BA. I took two art history classes and one studio art class to fill some of my general education requirements, plus additional archaeology classes for my degree (majored in cultural anthropology, but had to take several physical anthropology/archaeology classes). I don't do anything art-related in my career, but those classes contributed to a life long appreciation of art.

I feel like that was a really asshole move on the whoever made that decision not to include that family's story - whether it be TLC or the Duggars

I'm proud of Jinger for knowing golfers. I'm sure it's something she picked up in the last 6 months. I'm 100% positive no other Duggar would know who he is. I think it's a small step in the right direction.

9 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

I just checked out her IG…Jeremy looks like such a pretentious fucking douchebag in his golfing outfits. So lame and thirsty for attention. Embarrassing. 

That was for his TLC-filmed bachelor party. TLC probably coaxed him into wearing the outfit.

10 hours ago, Kailash said:

Sometimes I feel like the only avid reader in the world who doesn't collect books. I use the library. I checked out a book this morning and have already finished it. It had 413 pages. I don't always read a book a day but usually 3-5 a week. I own maybe 10 books. If I want to re-read a book I check it out from the library again.

Tell me there are other readers like me.

I read so many books I could never afford to buy them all, lol. I did recently reduce my book shelf to things I read over and over again (Harry Potter, my favourite Danielle Steel stories, Clan of the Cave Bear series, etc). I was not sold on e-readers when they first came out but now I love reading on my i-pad and constantly borrow from my local library. Currently I'm into "cozy mystery" series, Victoria Hamilton, Betty Hetch and Amanda Lee are favourites. 

6 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

Right.  They also said she was the driving force behind them jumping into all of this.  Boob gets the blame all the time, and he shoudn't.  He could have said no, but she really started it.

I remember that Jim Bob once said that he left it up to Michelle as to how many kids she wanted to have, and the kids kept coming and coming.

Also, let's not forget that Jim Bob is generally lax with the kids, while Michelle almost had a cow when Jessa and Ben held hands during prayer before they were engaged. Make no mistake; Michelle rules the roost in that house.

23 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

I remember that Jim Bob once said that he left it up to Michelle as to how many kids she wanted to have, and the kids kept coming and coming.

Also, let's not forget that Jim Bob is generally lax with the kids, while Michelle almost had a cow when Jessa and Ben held hands during prayer before they were engaged. Make no mistake; Michelle rules the roost in that house.

I have always thought that Jim Bob was so proud he married the cheerleader that he would do whatever she wanted. He is enthralled by her and would likely do anything to please her. I don't believe for a minute he controls Michelle, quite the opposite. I would bet she makes the decisions and lets him think it was all his idea. He will always follow her lead. I think if she only wanted four kids they would only have four. Michelle seems to enjoy the praise that comes with being the mother of 19, which allows her to be so above all the other fundies. Plus, of the two of them, Michelle seems I be the brightest and the strongest. In a patriarchal society, she seems to have all the power in that house but can get others out believe she is just a submissive wife. 

20 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I read The Poisonwood Bible after someone on FJ compared the dad to Derrick

If you haven't checked out John Shrader(he is married to Anna Duggar's sister), he is practically using the Poisonwood Bible as a handbook for being a missionary. 

I tend to hoard books. I would use the library more, but I also tend to not return books on time and end up owing the library my first born child and part of my soul. 

6 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I have always thought that Jim Bob was so proud he married the cheerleader that he would do whatever she wanted.

Whoever is less invested in a relationship holds the reins, and more often than not decides where the relationship goes. It makes sense that JB would be so happy to have the cheerleader, and Michelle chose their family life 

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm proud of Jinger for knowing golfers. I'm sure it's something she picked up in the last 6 months. I'm 100% positive no other Duggar would know who he is. I think it's a small step in the right direction.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. I grew up with my parents watching golf and I still had to search the name and see who she was talking about. I assumed it was a fundy golfer (because they are allowed to participate in sports) but was pleasantly surprised to see a true non-religious sports reference outside of the Razorbacks for her!

23 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I tend to hoard books. I would use the library more, but I also tend to not return books on time and end up owing the library my first born child and part of my soul. 

That's why I love the I can get e-books from the library, they expire automatically and do not cause overdue fees.

I felt so awkward donating a book to the library yesterday:

Employee: "So why are you letting this one go?"

Me: "Honestly, it's so terrrible I can't bear the thought of anyone else paying even a little money for it. So I want someone who is curious about it to have it for free."

:pb_lol: 

Just now, TeaGrannie said:

That's why I love the I can get e-books from the library, they expire automatically and do not cause overdue fees.

Ebooks are wonderful as a library loan for just that! I just wish it were easier for libraries to get more licenses for them (she says, waiting impatiently for an e-copy of a bodice-ripper). 

I love the library. I already spend a ton on books, even buying most of them used, and I can tear through lighter reading in a day or less; if it weren't for the library I'd go broke in minutes. As it is, I always have something to read, especially since I make sure I always have a few owned but unread or not recently reread books just in case.

I think it might have been Michelle who was intrigued by Gothard's teachings in the beginning. But now they are probably both highly invested and true followers. I assume it was a way to cope with the loss of their first child for her and then they both got sucked in. 

37 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I tend to hoard books. I would use the library more, but I also tend to not return books on time and end up owing the library my first born child and part of my soul. 

I also hoard books. I have two tall bookshelves and books stacked on the floor. Never loan me a book, it will be added to my collection. You will never see it again. I still have a book I was borrowing/reading from an ex. This was years ago. He broke up with me in the middle of it, so it's his fault I still have it :pb_lol:

That reminds me, I loaned a relative a few childhood favorites. I need to get those back.

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I also hoard books. I have two tall bookshelves and books stacked on the floor. Never loan me a book, it will be added to my collection. You will never see it again. I still have a book I was borrowing/reading from an ex. This was years ago. He broke up with me in the middle of it, so it's his fault I still have it :pb_lol:

That reminds me, I loaned a relative a few childhood favorites. I need to get those back.

ONLY two tall bookcases?!?! Ho Ho  I also hoard them. It is wonderful and also overwhelming. 

I've learned that unless it's an author I absolutely *know* I love and will appreciate, (Rowling, Picoult,etc) I don't buy without borrowing from the library first. Way too expensive, and I simply don't have the space to store books I'll never reread. Libraries are wonderful.  Im actually considering storing some of my books in my kitchen cabinets, I've run out of room!

I do have an embarrassing secret I'll let you on FJ in on: I don't have kids but would really like some. I think there's like a 90% chance that in reality I won't have any, but that ten percent of me can't let up on my dream and I have like 7 boxes of kids books I want my future children  to read. I call it my box of shame. I've got all the Dahl books, dr seusses collection, Beverley clearly and Judy Blume books, amber brown series, E.B. white books,  American Girl and Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown and Nate the Great and Box ar Children series (I was big into child detectives as a kid),p, knuffle bunny books, I'll love you forever, what wonderful things you will be, Nancy Tillman books....like I said, it's extensive, and frankly a bit pitying. I keep some in my living room ostentatiously 'for my nieces and nephews', but the majority are squirreled away in closets and under my bed. I've always wondered how my parents would react  Cleaning out my home if they outlive me. :)

I'm a book hoarder. My dream is to have a home library. I'm even making plans to go to an annual street fair here that sells books for $1 lol

Also, the terrible book I donated was the memoir Goat by Brad Land. It's so bad. 

Also if you do buy books used, thriftbooks.com, half.com, and eBay are great. TONS of goodwill companies sell books on eBay for $1 and $3 shipping. Just search the book you want, select 'buy it now' and then switch so Lowest Price pops up first. If you buy multiple books from the same store they combine shipping costs.

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm a book hoarder. My dream is to have a home library. I'm even making plans to go to an annual street fair here that sells books for $1 lol

I want a library like the one in Beauty and the Beast.

4 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Box ar Children series (I was big into child detectives as a kid)

My husband just gave (loaned) our nephew a HUGE tub of books! He has a set of Hardy Boys books (legit originals) and a whole bunch of Great Illustrated Classics that he found while we were moving. We did ask my nephew to give them back eventually (we have a son who is 2.5) but the smile on that kids face when he saw those books...it brought me joy. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived