IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

I think the only way Jinger would "see the light" or whatever is if she got her hands on a liberal Christian book. Not liberal enough that it would ruffle Jer's feathers and forbid her to read them, but enough that she was like "wait, maybe this is true..." Like NT Wright or somebody fairly innocuous like that. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@PennySycamore I'm 53 and read The Pushcart War in elementary school. 

There are so many good books and posts here I can't even begin to respond to them all, nor can I name all the books I love. I'll just toss out a few:

I see people mentioned The Pushcart War and The Dark is Rising, both good ones. Anything by Wallace Stegner,
Anne Tyler or Barbara Kingsolver. The Wrinkle in Time books, His Dark Materials, anything by Amos Oz, Margret Atwood.. and so on and so on...

at our coffee shop we have a shelf of 'take a book/leave a book', so i can usually find something there. i read while waiting to pick up youngest gd from school, so i only get through about a chapter a day. i really need to check out the library app for my ipad (pun intended!)

May I just say that, as my library career comes to an end on the 30th of this month, that all this library talk is actually bringing tears to my eyes? I've worked for our district since just before I turned 16. I have loved it. Things change and it's time for me to move on, but I will forever support libraries and I'm so glad to see so many others who do as well!

(I almost said "like-minded," but as the words went through my head I heard them in JB's voice. Shudder).

@mlsgreggI come from a family of librarians.   My mother, her mother, my grandmother's sister. I have so much respect for you because you all are part of the glue which holds our freedoms together. Free speech, fighting against censorship, and promoting knowledge. Thank you so much for all you have done and are doing. :my_heart:

@louisa05 I absolutely appreciate being able to read an actual book. I have a SIL who has wet macular degeneration (hope I spelled that right). Her kindle has also been a life saver for her. I'm so glad things like that are an option. <3

@Dutchie, I love book shopping at thrift stores. Cheap, and they usually have so many of the great classics! My kids get as excited to see new books as I do! They are each allowed to pick two books for me to read to them at bedtime. If they pick their favorites, that is fine. I usually will introduce a new book as a special treat after we've read their books. Of course, now that they are used to reading new stories, they will often pick the new books to read. It has been a somewhat organic transition to reading new stories, along with their favorites. 

57 minutes ago, mlsgregg said:

May I just say that, as my library career comes to an end on the 30th of this month, that all this library talk is actually bringing tears to my eyes?

Thank you @misgregg, I want to say librarians are so much more than book stewards and it doesn't go unnoticed. It's a shared space where people work, children learn and groups connect. I know at my local those librarians are the unsung heroes of after school care. 

On 2017-06-01 at 2:01 AM, Escadora said:

Word of advice, though, for anyone who wants to go and explore the world of Harry Potter: watch the movies first. As is the same with just about any movie adaptation, there are things that have been omitted and changed, and I personally have found that it's just easier to enjoy them as two separate entities without expecting the movies to meet all these expectations I might have had, such as 'fancast' and scenes that may have been omitted. 

I always want to read the book first. Watching the movie first puts images in my head that I can't get rid of. When I read I want to create my own images. It usually does ruin the movie though. It's never as good and everything always look wrong. :)

On 2017-06-01 at 3:06 AM, 2manyKidzzz said:

Looking at my huge stash of books, I was encouraged to read "If it's books, it's not hoarding". 

Truer words have never been spoken. This also applies to yarn. 

On 2017-06-01 at 9:17 AM, Dutchie said:

@treehugger how do you get your kids to accept new books, mine just want me to read the same one every time. Grrrr, I love books, but by now I can close my eyes and tell them the story with some of them from memory, including page turning. 

I always sneak new books in between old ones. Some times it works. Sometimes not. :)

I love childrens books so we have lots of them. They really are much more worth buying considering how many times you read some of them. Not that that stops me from buing lots of books for myself as well. I'm saving for my library. 

3 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I too have books.  There are two landings on my staircase.  I had to add a book case on one of them.  Walls are hard to come by.

Am seriously jealous! We in a flat, no staircase. 

When the G-S juniors eventually leave the nest, I'm hoping to purloin a spare bedroom wall or two. 

I am trying to obtain as many Versions of Harry Potter as possible. I found two of the hardback British versions at two different goodwills and they only cost 2.99 each. 

I been doing the same thing with Harry Potter ( & a couple of other books) for ages. Since I just moved almost all of my Harry Potter books are still in file boxes in which I filled 3-4 boxes of just paperback Harry Potter books.

As for the photos of book store. I'm pretty sure that was taken in either the country section or religion section of the Dickens bookstore. If you are into books it's worth a visit currently it sits #3 on my list followed by strand & Shakephere Company in Pairs.

With the measuem I think they are at the Crystal Bridges on likely & if they have Spud then my bet is that Ben and Jessa are with them.

I want to live in a library.

I used to live where the library system wasn't very good. It was fine for reference, but new or comprehensive collections? No. So I bought books. We passed books around at work. There was a thriving secondhand paperback place that was EXCELLENT. 

certain collections, like Harry Potter, Outlander, Cave Bear, and others, I have in both paper back and hardback. Why? Because I like to read the hardbacks, but when I travel, I carry the lighter paperback edition. Of course, all of those mentioned, I also have either on my NOOK or my tablet..

Then there are the reference books for my scrapbooking, tea bag folding, origami, basket making, cross stitch, sewing, embroidery, upholstery, calligraphy/illumination, AND my art/dance/collectible/museum show book selections. 

We want to downsize, and we are trying to downsize, and I've gotten rid of all the books that have just disintegrated because they're so old... but I'm still going to have loads of books when that's done.

I do use and look at them..

I have several versions of the HP books as well. I buy a new one every time we're in London. I love the British versions, which aren't "dumbed down" for the "average American" reader. :)

I'm on the fence about buying the illustrated versions, although I love thumbing through them in the stores. 

4 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

How are HP books dumbed down for American readers? I'm very curious.

The title of the first one, for instance - the idea that USA audiences wouldn't read a book called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", so they swapped it to "Sorcerer's Stone" for the States.  I've heard there are more things like that, and I do get why some of the Britishisms were swapped to Americanisms ("biscuits" to "cookies", "revision" to "study" and more) but I don't understand the title change, unless USA people see philosophy as not an academic subject, but something else??

They're called mandarins or tangerines frequently in the US.

37 minutes ago, Lurky said:

The title of the first one, for instance - the idea that USA audiences wouldn't read a book called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", so they swapped it to "Sorcerer's Stone" for the States.  I've heard there are more things like that, and I do get why some of the Britishisms were swapped to Americanisms ("biscuits" to "cookies", "revision" to "study" and more) but I don't understand the title change, unless USA people see philosophy as not an academic subject, but something else??

I think sorcerer has a far more magical connotation than philosopher? Philosophy sort of makes a lot of people think of ancient learned Greek men.

The most glaring thing (other than the Philosopher/Sorceror thing for the first book) is Dudley's first word. In the American versions, it's "won't!" In the British version, it's "shan't". (See how I punctuated that - there's also the difference in placement of punctuation within/without quotation marks... lol)

It's amazing to me, to read a British newspaper vs. an American newspaper; or to talk with my early teen nephews, who speak so clearly and appropriately, using words American kids wouldn't know. They're miles ahead of the American kids (education-wise). 

To quote a dear friend of mine: "We. In. Trouble."

4 minutes ago, Letizia said:

I think sorcerer has a far more magical connotation than philosopher? Philosophy sort of makes a lot of people think of ancient learned Greek men.

Only in America. :)

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Snipped:

Only in America. :)

Well the question was why was there a change for the American book. 

Interesting @SapphireSlytherin ! My husband is English and with his experience of his own English education and his impression of American education, he seems to think Americans value education more and are "more brainy" than where he's from. But I would think it would have more to do with where in Britain someone is from and where in America (and the fact that we try to avoid sweeping generalizations).

We joke all the time of the language barrier between us. We may both speak English, but sometimes some of the vernacular gets us all twisted up!

6 hours ago, halcionne said:

Have JinJer been sighted anywhere this week? 

Remind me, are they in a small apartment? How many beds/baths?

Well, we know the plane was in Laredo for the past couple of days (returned to Springdale today, as you should know). I assume that members of the Duggar family not named Anna, Mechelle, or Jackson (all spotted at SilverDollar City on Wednesday) went on the flight, or why bother bringing the big plane and waste all that gas?

Apartment is 2BR, not sure about baths (or if the spare room still has the bed Jessa insisted be put there), but probably just one. I would assume a second bath might be possible if the building is newer. Around here, it's rare to find a 2BR/2BA condo/apartment, but most of the building went up by the 70's, and people weren't shoving whole families into apartments....yet. 

Fun fact:  Mrs. Weasley was referee to as "mom" only in Sorcerer's. JK Rowling insisted on "mum" for the rest. 

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

Am seriously jealous! We in a flat, no staircase. 

When the G-S juniors eventually leave the nest, I'm hoping to purloin a spare bedroom wall or two. 

We had a spare bedroom where I had two beautiful bookcases of books. I was ready to start working on a third.

Then I got pregnant. And Velocibaby kind of needed the space. So I donated or sold half the books, put the rest into two storage containers, stacked those in her big closet, and got rid of the older bookcase. The newer one is now filled with books for Velocibaby. One thing I don't mind splurging on are books for my baby.

I did place my classic fantasy books on the top shelf of her bookcase though - books like Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, LOTR, and The Hobbit. She's too young for them now, but she'll have full access to those books as she grows up. 

... and I may or may not have read her Poe poems when she was three months old... :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived