IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I want a library like the one in Beauty and the Beast.

Yes!! I want it antique and beautiful and full of books picked specially for me.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FleeJanaFree,  I bought a copy of The Pushcart War, which was my favorite book in Junior High, a few years ago.  I'm 62 and first read this about 50 years ago.  I also got my Trixie Beldens and Tuckers (The Tuckers of Valley View and The Adventures of Plum Tucker) from my mom's house when us kids cleaned out her house after she died.  One of my most prized possessions is my copy of Volume 1 of the early Sixties Childcraft: Poems of Early Childhood.  love childrens' literature and see no shame in reading some as an adult.

ETA:  I bought two cookbooks by Grace Young off Alibris a few months ago, both at about half price and one (Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge) brand new. One of these books came from a Goodwill in Oregon.  

@HarleyQuinn, is the book you donated to the library as bad as All the Missing Girls?  That book was dreadful.  I'd donate my copy somewhere, but I think it might be more appropriate to put in the trash.

Have JinJer been sighted anywhere this week? 

Remind me, are they in a small apartment? How many beds/baths?

44 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Ebooks are wonderful as a library loan for just that! I just wish it were easier for libraries to get more licenses for them (she says, waiting impatiently for an e-copy of a bodice-ripper). 

I love eBooks for saving me overdue fines. But, yes, if only they'd get more licenses. Everything I want to read right now is checked out. I have the maximum number of holds waiting and a "wish list" with 15 more books that are not currently available. So frustrating. 

I just went through the bins full of books that were previously in my classroom. I ruthlessly forced myself to part with stuff since it has all been sitting in storage for seven years anyway. So there were 7 huge plastic bins to start with and now there are 4 to keep and 3 to sell or donate. Husband is all--"you aren't even getting rid of half" and I'm going, "you have no idea what an achievement it is for me to give up even close to half". And I don't even read print that often anymore. 

To all the "I love print books! I love how they feel!" people...just be thankful that they still work for you. I said all of those things when Nook and Kindle first entered the market. Then I started having my retinal problems and started having to stop reading anything within 20 minutes because my eyes were bothering me. Mr. 05 surprised me with a Kindle for my birthday a few months later and being able to adjust the font, size and spacing and the contrast not being as bright (mine is right before paperwhite came out), I can read all day on it. It saved my life. 

56 minutes ago, hand holder said:

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. I grew up with my parents watching golf and I still had to search the name and see who she was talking about. I assumed it was a fundy golfer (because they are allowed to participate in sports) but was pleasantly surprised to see a true non-religious sports reference outside of the Razorbacks for her!

I agree it is nice, but for the record, you can barely live in NW AR, SW MO without know the name Payne Stewart. Nearly every golf course or tournament down there is or was named after him. It's always been so odd to me how the Duggars shun real sports. 

2 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

It's always been so odd to me how the Duggars shun real sports. 

Imagine how they'd feel about Quidditch...

On book recommendations for Jinger; why not The God Delusion? :P 

Just kidding. Maybe in ten years. Or never ;) I'd heard so much about that book though before I read it, people claiming it was the most anti-Christian, most evil book ever, and then when I finally read it I found it quite reasonable and not as Christian-hating at all. (I considered myself agnostic back then.) Yes, it debunks religious myths, but it does so in a scientific and calm way, not in a "ha ha, religion is so stupid"-way. Dawkins, the author, is a bit of an asshole sometimes (for example on Twitter) but I liked his book. 

I highly recommend getting books for your kindle from the library if they are popular or brand new. For mine, you move up the hold list much faster for kindle books than for physical books. Goodwill is also great place for cheap books. I am trying to obtain as many Versions of Harry Potter as possible. I found two of the hardback British versions at two different goodwills and they only cost 2.99 each. Now I have to stop at new goodwills whenever I see one. 

Just now, socalrules said:

I am trying to obtain as many Versions of Harry Potter as possible. I found two of the hardback British versions at two different goodwills and they only cost 2.99 each. Now I have to stop at new goodwills whenever I see one. 

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to do that. :pb_lol:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to do that. :pb_lol:

You are not. I have several different editions. NO REGRETS

I looooovvveeee looking at Goodwill and Value Village for books! That is practically one of my hobbies. 

5 minutes ago, Destiny said:

You are not. I have several different editions. NO REGRETS

Clearly I need to up my game and actually invest in this desire more, haha. 

Anyone else getting the illustrated editions?

I am a minimalist but I also homeschool my boys so we have a lot of kids books. My goal is to have every book Nancy Tillman has ever written. Her books make me cry. I just got my boys into the Magic Treehouse books and they can't get enough. I want to get them into Junie B Jones and Amelia Bedelia. I saved all of my Royal Diaries books for them too.  When they're older I want them to read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. I've read that book about 100 times (I almost named our daughter Charlotte but my husband hated the name. Jerk.) And Harry Potter but that goes without saying.

I'd love to see Jinger read all of the books I mentioned. Junie B Jones because she was a stinker, Amelia because she was hilarious, The Royal Diaries were educational and I couldn't put them down, Charlotte Doyle because of the adventure and how brave she was. Harry Potter because duh. The books we read as kids shape us as adults. She has a lot of catching up to do! 

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Yes!! I want it antique and beautiful and full of books picked specially for me.

My dream has always been to live in s house large enough to accommodate all my books. Sadly it is not to be, which is why every few years I make a trip to a chosen charity shop and off load a lot. 

One day........

@Gobsmacked That's why it pissed me off royally when Jessa but Jeremys books in the closet! They don't belong in the closet.

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

@Gobsmacked That's why it pissed me off royally when Jessa but Jeremys books in the closet! They don't belong in the closet.

Hopefully she has now realised this and will allow him to re-instate his bookcase to its rightful place. It's grand that Jeremy has Introduced her to the delights of bookshops. Hopefully she will seriously begin her education now that they are married.  We can but hope.

:beer: for you, a fellow book lover.

23 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've theorized Jessa was being a bitch on purpose to sort of test Jeremy and he passed. 

More IG. 

Conspiracy theory (I love a good one): Jeremy saw this site and made it his life goal to save Jinger but though his adventure, he fell in love. Now he's emotional invested in saving her from fundamentalism.  

I too have books.  There are two landings on my staircase.  I had to add a book case on one of them.  Walls are hard to come by.

I'm a minimalist and I don't have any physical books in my house. I have kindle books, audio books, and I read fan fiction online everyday. I've never felt so free! To me I don't need the physical copy of the book. I do love reading though. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I want a library like the one in Beauty and the Beast.

Same! I watched the movie and didn't care about the prince, I needed that library! 

*Might have went to a bookstore and came home with about 15 books, sorry not sorry!*

16 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

The rest of the adult family-

Slytherins- Josh, Jill ,Jessa, Joe

Joe a Slytherin? I think I would have put him squarely in Hufflepuff with JD and Joy. I am curious about your take on this! 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I felt so awkward donating a book to the library yesterday

That's hilarious, and I applaud your honesty. No shame in ditching bad books, someone out there might appreciate it! 

I used to have waaaay too many books but I've consolidated and donated the rest. Living in small places, Kindle/ebooks have been a godsend for me. Also, easier to read long books that would otherwise be thick/heavy. But there's something special about having at least a few real books around, it adds a nice atmosphere to a room. 

14 hours ago, Kailash said:

Sometimes I feel like the only avid reader in the world who doesn't collect books. I use the library. I checked out a book this morning and have already finished it. It had 413 pages. I don't always read a book a day but usually 3-5 a week. I own maybe 10 books. If I want to re-read a book I check it out from the library again.

Tell me there are other readers like me.

We are the same way. We got rid of pretty much all of our books because I hate clutter. My daughter is an avid reader and the only way I will purchase her a new book is through the Kindle. If our library has it and she wants to read a hard copy of it, she can check it out, but most books she only reads once, so I do see the point in keeping a million books around, especially since she reads probably 2-4 a week. 

I rarely buy books anymore either, I love using the library. If I had space in my house to put up more than one book shelf without it looking cluttered, I'd buy a few more. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived