IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

For me, cookies are like chocolate chip, oreos, fudgeos, and that type of thing. Biscuits come in the fancy tins and we always got them at Nan's house. Also biscuit tins were later reused for sewing, so it was the disappointment of opening the tin and thinking there were biscuits and finding needles/thread. 

I agree with this 100% Cookie's and biscuits are two different things here. We have two biscuit tins in the kitchen one is full of sewing things the other is full of screws and other stuff for DIY. As an child I hated opening the tins to find sewing stuff now it comes in handy.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a half british half american I'm so glad I found this thread.

IMO it does annoy me a bit when UK things are Americanized... I agree that UK and US english are really different, but they should be, for the most part, mutually intelligible...

My funny story to contribute: My british grandparents/relatives would buy my sister and I British books to read as children. I would always read about "he wet his nappy" or "I changed her nappy" etc. 

Then I was so confused when I grew up and heard Nicki Minaj rapping about "nappy headed hoes." Or my black female friends not wanting "nappy hair." 

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

and I've never yet quite managed 'rasher' for 'bacon' either.

We call it a rasher of bacon. So you can say both to add to your confusion!

Book I hated: Ethan Frome. Just the worst. Also did not enjoy Catcher in he Rye, but I think I was just too old for it by the time I read it. 

12 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

This reminded me about time when I was in first grade and only one in my class who could read. I read books recomended for third graders, but was forced to sit for 40 minutes and listen to my classmates learning how to read short words. I have no idea why teacher didn't allow me to read a book during those classes, it was utter nightmare for a 7 year old. 

My DD had a teacher like this, she taught to the back of the class. She started 2nd grade reading at a 4th grade level and finished 2nd grade reading at a 3rd grade level. I was SO PISSED, the teacher derailed her love of reading in 2nd grade, by picking on her "bad reading habits"  She's now 17 and hates reading, but reads at a college level.  She is extremely smart but this teacher held her back because you have to keep them on the same level, she was in her late 60's and should have retired years earlier.  I wanted her fired for how awful she was. It was after this  teacher that I became THAT parent the school district HATES because I'm always complaining about a teacher  or something stupid they are doing, and unfortunately it is very frequently. They will be very happy when DD graduates next year. 

Re watching Foyle's  War. The son said that it wasn't conkers any more. Does anyone on this side of the pond play conkers? They are horse chestnuts on a string, and you hit them until they break. Great fun in conker season.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Does anyone on this side of the pond play conkers?

I'd never heard of conkers until my Brit husband explained them to me. 

Recently ,I've been catching up on the Bates. I remember an episode where John said he was extremely happy to have mote private time with Alyssa once they were engaged.

When Brandon and Michael were courting, Kelly mentioned the importance of given a courting couple more space to get to know each other. The chaperones are at a distance.The Duggars always say each couple defines their courtship rule and I believe it for Jinjer. Jeremy insisted on physical contact while courting. Jinger was not comfortable to display it in front of her family I can tell she loved it. Also, it was apparent that the others didn't approve of it especially Jim Bob and Jessa. But I couldn't tell if Jessa was simply pissed/jealous that she and Ben followed the rules when Jinger was given (more like TOOK )liberties. Was it ever confirmed Jinger and Jeremy had their first kiss at the wedding?

Also, Nathan and Ashley were extremely physical.  So is Carlin and whatever his names is. The Bates are known to front hug.

I don't think these kids are as pure and robotic as the families project. They talk. They get to know each other for whatever good. Probability says no way all of these couples have gone from "talking" to wedding night pure as the clear blue sky.

As far as knowing someone, many people show up as one person while dating and different after marriage. Mostly because dating and building a home come from two different places in the human emotional center. This is why I am a huge advocate of living together first. If personal beliefs absolutely do not allow, then the couple should own something together even if it's a pet. That's when ya really start to see the layers peel away.

Btw, I'm on the fence about Jeremey. Something is there with him that may not be okay, but I can not pin point. I go back and forth between thinking Jinger struck gold to wondering if she made off the worse.

We did SSR in my Texas elementary school in the late 80's/early 90's.... I loved it... I was an early reader (my baby book says 2.5, but I don't know how true that is, lol), and thankfully my teachers never held back my reading.... I was in higher reading groups in kindy and first, and I remember my second grade teacher having great books...

My son is 9.5 and adores reading. It makes me so happy! I wish he would read more of the older books that I loved as a kid, but in all honesty, I just love that he reads.  Lots of Captain Underpants, and stuff like that, but he also loves  The Elementia Chronicles , and the third book in that trilogy is almost 800 pages, so it's not just easy reading. His teachers thankfully encourage it too... He does get in trouble for reading when he's supposed to be working though, and I've told his teachers that they won't offend me if they have to take the book out of his desk so he'll finish his math test or whatever, lol

33 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Recently ,I've been catching up on the Bates. I remember an episode where John said he was extremely happy to have mote private time with Alyssa once they were engaged.

When Brandon and Michael were courting, Kelly mentioned the importance of given a courting couple more space to get to know each other. The chaperones are at a distance.The Duggars always say each couple defines their courtship rule and I believe it for Jinjer. Jeremy insisted on physical contact while courting. Jinger was not comfortable to display it in front of her family I can tell she loved it. Also, it was apparent that the others didn't approve of it especially Jim Bob and Jessa. But I couldn't tell if Jessa was simply pissed/jealous that she and Ben followed the rules when Jinger was given (more like TOOK )liberties. Was it ever confirmed Jinger and Jeremy had their first kiss at the wedding?

Btw, I'm on the fence about Jeremey. Something is there with him that may not be okay, but I can not pin point. I go back and forth between thinking Jinger struck gold to wondering if she made off the worse.

Ben was a child of 17-18 and Jeremy was a man. Ben wanted to be a Duggar, Jeremy wanted to be himself. 

How the men interacted is neither here nor there... to a degree. We may think that Jessa and Jinger are the same but they aren't  

Jinger clearly followed Jeremy's lead...where Jessa followed the lead that she felt she should live up to ... their declarations of love were quick apparently according to a recent article and they always had a different dynamic still do... where they were private touchy feely when they got engaged it was obvious in every picture I saw they were into each other... whereas Jeremy and JInger were just over the top - Ben and Jessa were different.  Even now you can see they can't keep their hands of each other they just try and hide it better. 

4 hours ago, nst said:

Ben was a child of 17-18 and Jeremy was a man. Ben wanted to be a Duggar, Jeremy wanted to be himself. 

How the men interacted is neither here nor there... to a degree. We may think that Jessa and Jinger are the same but they aren't  

Jinger clearly followed Jeremy's lead...where Jessa followed the lead that she felt she should live up to ... their declarations of love were quick apparently according to a recent article and they always had a different dynamic still do... where they were private touchy feely when they got engaged it was obvious in every picture I saw they were into each other... whereas Jeremy and JInger were just over the top - Ben and Jessa were different.  Even now you can see they can't keep their hands of each other they just try and hide it better. 

You make great points. My post was not Jinger vs Jessa or Ben vs Jeremy, mostly because many of us only see what is edited for public audience and their social media interaction.My point was that these kids have more exposure to their partners than we see on tv. I focused in on places where privacy and physical contact were evident on their shows.

Jessa displayed discomfort with Jinger's action. It was obviously in her responses and comments about their courting standards. I wasn't sure if she truly disapproved or she felt like Jinger crossed lines the others thought they were not allowed to cross.

I remember Anna commenting on Jill's infamous front hug at the airport.lol She said that she and Josh were held to stricter standards. I can tell each couple compares their experiences to the next. I think it is normal to do so among siblings.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She is extremely smart but this teacher held her back because you have to keep them on the same level, 

This reminds me of the CP private nursery my eldest boy was in. I'd thought it was a good option as it was nominally Montessori. At the end of the first week I was asked to go in, but only at going home time, so my 3 yo boy was with me to hear his teacher say "your son is stubborn and unteachable. Your son also lies".

Long to short, turns out they'd sat my glue-earred and "should be statemented for communications if only we had one more for the county", disciplined him for using the signalong  English we were using at home (we were effectively raising him bilingually), then sat him with his back to the teacher with a desk under a window and wondered why he was staring out the window a lot. On top of that, during their free choice session he'd been gravitating to books & "lying that he could read them". When I pointed out that he could, she first tried to get all sympathetic and " no dear, it's great to let them look at the pictures, but you shouldn't let them pretend they can read", which unfortunately elicited a "no, my boy reads, he's been recognising letter shapes since a year old and got his library card at two weeks old. We read multiple books a day and of course he reads five-page stories. He's three and from a family of linguists".

She turned the most amazing shade of purple and damn nearly exploded - on a theme of how dare I have taught him to read "don't you realise when he's five the teacher will have to break it out of him so she can teach him her way". She was also pissed that I'd taught him phonically as that was not the fashion then. If she'd got her way, she wanted me to support the class teacher's "problem management strategy" of standing him in the naughty corner any time he went near a book, and back that up by removing all books in the home, echoing the punishment for any readingand ban him from storytime and his music class and anything that happened in the library.

Suffice it to say I never did and my folks and I did everything we could to keep him engaged. Nonetheless, age five he arrived in school assessed as "language developmentally delayed" (as well ass the glue-ear), and "extremely resistant" with literacy. It took until he was seven to get him caught up because of that cow.

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

glue-ear

Okey dokey - this is a new one, both to me and my British husband. What does this mean? lol

I had some teachers who didn't want us reading ahead. I didn't listen. Never got in trouble though. Bad ass Raptor is bad ass. :auto-dirtbike:

@TatiFish9I think you're absolutely correct that the couples tend to compare amongst themselves.

I also think that the courtship standards will continue to gradually loosen up as more of them court and marry. You see it more with the Bateses right now. Zach and Sarah had very strict rules before she ended things. Cherin followed very strict rules as well. But Zachney didn't seem to follow all the rules, managed to sneak at least one kiss before the wedding, and nothing horrible happened. Now you have couples who front hug and seem more relaxed about a bit of physical affection.

The same, as you pointed out, is happening with the Duggars. The Dills were called out for the front hug (which was such a genuinely normal act for that moment) and Benessa got the death look for holding hands to pray the night before they were engaged... when everyone knew they'd be getting engaged the next day. But JinJer were very affectionate physically, while still appearing to remain within the allowed limits. No clue about JoStin yet, but they looked very comfortable being physically affectionate in their wedding photos - could just be because they knew each other longer. It'll be interesting to see JoKen interact.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

No clue about JoStin yet, but they looked very comfortable being physically affectionate in their wedding photos - could just be because they knew each other longer. It'll be interesting to see JoKen interact.

They are holding hands under the table, searching each other's pockets for mints.

Also, are these Duggars and Jennie Hartono visiting JinJer in Laredo?  https://www.instagram.com/p/BU8YQ8HlilR/?taken-by=jennishartono&hl=en

On 6/3/2017 at 9:26 PM, Gillyweed said:

A house full of kids is such a broad statement. In my mind, four children would be a house full of kids. I wonder how may they consider to be "a lot"?

I have 2 and as far as I am concerned my house is overflowing with kids

7 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

You make great points. My post was not Jinger vs Jessa or Ben vs Jeremy, mostly because many of us only see what is edited for public audience and their social media interaction.My point was that these kids have more exposure to their partners than we see on tv. I focused in on places where privacy and physical contact were evident on their shows.

Jessa displayed discomfort with Jinger's action. It was obviously in her responses and comments about their courting standards. I wasn't sure if she truly disapproved or she felt like Jinger crossed lines the others thought they were not allowed to cross.

I've always interpreted Jessa's (And Ben's...remember the snarky eye-roll when Jessa reminded Ben that Jinger didn't want any visitors for six months after the wedding? :pb_lol:) discomfort with JinJer's courting standards as a personal preference thing. I think Jessa and Ben are both very sensual but private people who take pride in keeping their physical affection something that is only shared with each other. I don't think they necessarily disapproved of JinJer or thought she was unholy or whatever, but were more exasperated/not understanding. Like they were internally thinking "Guys...really? We waited until the cameras were off. It's not hard. Why do you want the world to see you basically mounting each other...?"

Honestly, after sitting through a whole season of JinJer, I can TOTALLY see Jessa/Ben's side. It got uncomfortable. :pb_rollseyes:

(I totally think Michelle/JB thought JinJer crossed the line on what was decent in the eyes of the Lord/fundie-ism!)

Jessa had to endure her dad humping in the golf course so I'm sure she thinks that's how pda is and doesn't want to be like that.  I don't know though. 

I feel the same way as Jessa. I feel like PDA makes those around me uncomfortable. Probably because I'm projecting. I sometimes feel weirded out if a couple is getting touchy feely with each other around me. I always think back to being stuck in amusement park rollercoaster lines and couples around me practically getting it on right there. Lol.

On 4 June 2017 at 2:30 PM, AlwaysExcited said:

This reminded me about time when I was in first grade and only one in my class who could read. I read books recomended for third graders, but was forced to sit for 40 minutes and listen to my classmates learning how to read short words. I have no idea why teacher didn't allow me to read a book during those classes, it was utter nightmare for a 7 year old. 

That's awful. I learned to read first in my P1 class. I was thankfully allowed to pop next door to the P2 classroom and choose a book from their much more interesting bookshelf. 

RE: private conversations about not having AllTheKids

When I look at all the married Duggar couples*, I cannot picture any of the husbands contesting if the wife wanted them to use a rubber. I think it's a lot less likely for a Duggar husband to have a hidden plot to pass the questionnaire and secretly have plans for regulating family size, than it would be for a Duggar daughter to respond to an inner desire to not have 19 kids. In my wildest freeJinger hopes, that is something she personally has always wanted to limit and maybe all she heard from Jer was, "I'm okay with as many kids as you want." 

The Duggars only went QF after Caleb, right? I don't think it would require much of a leap for a Duggar daughter to come to the conviction that anything not hormonal-BC is okay.  I know it's unlikely, but IMO the wives all seem to be the drivers of the baby train. 

*I include Josh in that I think he would probably be fine with not having more than 6 kids, but Anna in my view is the least likely to be okay with limiting family size.

IMO: Anna wants to fit in, which means making an army of babies. The daughters were brought up to believe it's their job so they'll follow through without prevention unless their headship intervenes. 

Is it at all possible that some of the girls (specifically thinking Jana and Jinger) have just realized that it's easier to play along than it is to try and be yourself? I don't doubt that they believe in Christianity as a whole, but that they just have to stomach the rest of it until they find a new headship? I think there are enough ex-fundie horror stories floating around to keep them in line, but I'm sure there are also examples of women living a perfectly Godly life outside of Gothard to keep their morale up until they can drop the charade. 

35 minutes ago, KimJongJimBob said:

Is it at all possible that some of the girls (specifically thinking Jana and Jinger) have just realized that it's easier to play along than it is to try and be yourself? I don't doubt that they believe in Christianity as a whole, but that they just have to stomach the rest of it until they find a new headship? I think there are enough ex-fundie horror stories floating around to keep them in line, but I'm sure there are also examples of women living a perfectly Godly life outside of Gothard to keep their morale up until they can drop the charade. 

I think there probably is a good bit of this going on. I don't buy into the theory that Jeremy just gave the right answers needed to get JB's blessing, so he could set Jinger free. It's super creepy to think of a man doing that (establishing a relationship under false pretenses), plus Jeremy had already demonstrated his conservative Christian bonafides before Jinger was on his radar. On the other hand, I do think that Jeremy sees the world differently than JB & Michelle, and he JinJer will slowly drift away from some of the specific Gothard/Quiverfull beliefs. From some of the Duggar's discussion of courting rules, I suspect Jinger and Jeremy did have a chance for some reasonably private conversations. Jessa specifically said chaperons try to keep the courting couple in view, not earshot.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived