IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 5 Defrauding the Entire World?

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

She knew full well what Phil Douglas Winston Cameradude was when she picked him up, and agreed to marry him and renounced her family.  She was very likely in full support of him, if not complicit, in his ripping-off of people for decades. She chose to handicap her daughters with a SOTDRT education and not much else except travel. Travel's great but it pales when it's the only thing on a resume.

This is exactly my feelings about Beall.  I feel sorry for the kids as they had no choice in this situation, but Beall made her choices, right from the beginning when she renounced her family.    She no doubt benefited from the VF scam and most likely chose to overlook a lot of things ranging from her toolish husbands behavior to perpetuating all the VF nonsense.   After DPIAT fell, I am not surprised to see him ending up in a place where he is continuing to have a grand ol' time but his wife and children are bearing the brunt of consequences (namely here, reduced circumstances)  thanks to him.

ETA: Beall should be the one to seriously kick his ass but she's too dependent? prideful? ashamed? to do it. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

A way of cheapening out on having to pay for an actual dinner.  

As discussed on FJ until everyone is blue in the face, the choice of food at wedding receptions is a regional and cultural thing.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a wedding reception without a full meal so long as the guests know what to expect.  A variety of hors d'oeuvres (heavy or not) are fine, affordable, and not cheap.  And at least they spelled hors d'oeuvres correctly.

Delaney and Joshua's wedding website just went private.  That was fast.

OK, kids.  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  I hope you will be very happy.  You are not responsible for the sins of your fathers.  

So keep your noses clean, refrain from preaching hate and from picketing abortion clinics with misinformation, and we will leave you alone.

I do wonder whether Pinky and the Brain Spanky and the Tool will attend the wedding though.

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Was this accessible when you posted it? If so, SOMEONE is reading here, because it's now PIN-only!

See above.  We must have hit submit at the same time!

I think some of Joshua's friends read here even if he does not.

In my experience catering large events, heavy appetizers will easily provide as much food as a sit-down meal. Where you're typically saving money is on seating, dish rentals, cutlery, and servers. Personally speaking as a guest I would probably rather graze on apps over the course of a wedding reception rather than eat room-temp chicken and limp salad served banquet-style or suffer through a buffet. Especially if alcohol is beinbg served. But no judgements! Like @Palimpsest said it's largely a regional and cultural thing. And anything's better than your typical cake and punch in the church basement affair my Midwestern Baptist relatives always had.

Just now, ladyamylynn said:

Like @Palimpsest said it's largely a regional and cultural thing. And anything's better than your typical cake and punch in the church basement affair my Midwestern Baptist relatives always had.

It is regional & cultural and it's also a matter of finances, which is fine. 

IMHO, spending out the wazoo on reception food & drink, especially when you can't really afford it or could use those $$ to better advantage, is not a good omen for the actual marriage.

3 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

And anything's better than your typical cake and punch in the church basement affair my Midwestern Baptist relatives always had.

But, but, but - don't forget the mints!  Aren't they obligatory? 

Admission time, I made myself sick on those little mints at my aunt's wedding when I was 4. Vomited all over the cornflower blue taffeta flower girl dress my poor mother slaved over sewing.

38 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Vomited all over the cornflower blue taffeta flower girl dress my poor mother slaved over sewing.

That must have been - colorful!

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

See above.  We must have hit submit at the same time!

I think some of Joshua's friends read here even if he does not.

I think Delaney's sister snd stepmother are here too. 

At our wedding (25 years ago) we had cake, groom's cake, fruit with chocolate fondue, crudites and cheeses.  And yes, mints!  Because that is what we could afford (which everyone invited knew because we only invited people close to us) and because that was what was done in my area and my circles.  

Signed, unrepentant snack reception bride  :soapbox:

At my wedding, 38 years ago on Friday, we only had afternoon tea in the garden of the house I was living in at the time.  Reception was from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Then the Bride and Groom happily ran away to catch a train.  We would have preferred to elope.

Finger food, dainty sandwiches, a profiterole tower instead of a wedding cake, tea, lemonade and lashings of white wine (Mr. P and I sneakily tripled the wine budget).  Short afternoon receptions with no dancing were thought perfectly OK then in the UK.

The stuffier wedding guests (and my parents who invited them) left as soon as we did at 5:30 pm.  The rest of the guests and the in laws got completely paralytic on the left over wine.  And danced!

We didn't hear of any complaints. :)

Frankly I would sit through a reception with just bread and water as long as there was no sermon at the wedding. And thank fuck it's highlyunlikely I'll ever have attend a Catholic wedding again.  Shudders. 

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

She knew full well what Phil Douglas Winston Cameradude was when she picked him up, and agreed to marry him and renounced her family.  

It's Monday and my Google skills may not be up to usual but I've been trying to find info on this for an hour and failing. I believe you, but do you (or anyone) know where I can find background on Beall cutting off her family? 

1 hour ago, Kylolo said:

do you (or anyone) know where I can find background on Beall cutting off her family? 

One probably less-than-impeccable source on the friction between Beall and her family over her wish to marry DPIART comes from the linked comment thread of several years ago at Jem's Gems. Grains of salt advised:

#1: In one of his really old cassettes (produced around 2001), [Doug] talked about his “courtship” of Beall (he pursued her in an unusual way, but they ended up having to wait years to get married because of a foolish financial decision Doug made)....

#2: I don’t know to what “foolish financial decision” Doug Phillips referred with respect to the delay in his marriage to Beall but I do know at least part (if not much/all) of the delay was on account of her parents’ position with respect to the marriage. That did not change and ultimately their wishes were not honored.

#1: I can’t remember the entire story, but it had to do with Doug purchasing an expensive car on credit (against his father’s advice) and then wrecking it(?), which put him in debt that took him years to get out of.

#2: Yes. The red jeep. Terrible accident that involved Beall and another woman whose arm was very badly hurt...

Perhaps, one of these days, someone or several someones who knew them all at William & Mary is going to show up here.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:31 PM, DomWackTroll said:

There's no fool like an old fool. Beall, your husband is out chasin' the P while you remain in the States, comforting elderly veterans. For God's sake, at least fake an affair or something. Fake it with Bradrick!; he's got nothing better to do right now. Just stop playing the damn martyr. 

After abillionity years with Doug, I'd be off men forever. 

I'd probably hook up with some hottie friend of JT's just for a change....

Never heard the story of Beall's family drama. Interesting that the whole "it's all about the FAMILY and DADDY and respecting your father's headship until he sells - uh, marries you off!" thing didn't apply to them.
If Beall had properly submitted to Daddy's headship, she could've avoided DPIAT, it seems?

9 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

A way of cheapening out on having to pay for an actual dinner.  

Usually "heavy" hors d'oevres are things like meatballs, egg rolls, chicken skewers, stuffed mushrooms, etc. 

Having just done this recently, even doing just fruit and veggie plates, chips and drinks runs about $15/person. Each additional hot item raises that $2-3/person. So if you have cheese and crackers, fruit and veggies with dip, meatballs, egg rolls, stuffed mushrooms and chicken skewers with a non alcoholic beverage you are looking at about $30/person. That doesn't include a couple servers. Or cake. So yes, it's cheaper and easier than a full sit down meal, especially if you need to rent tables, chairs table cloths, China table ware, etc, it's hardly cheap. I find it a little offensive that people would think that way. I think the amount of money spent on weddings is absurd, hopefully people being invited are there to celebrate with the couple, not looking for a free fancy dinner. 

9 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Having just done this recently, even doing just fruit and veggie plates, chips and drinks runs about $15/person. Each additional hot item raises that $2-3/person. So if you have cheese and crackers, fruit and veggies with dip, meatballs, egg rolls, stuffed mushrooms and chicken skewers with a non alcoholic beverage you are looking at about $30/person. That doesn't include a couple servers. Or cake. So yes, it's cheaper and easier than a full sit down meal, especially if you need to rent tables, chairs table cloths, China table ware, etc, it's hardly cheap. I find it a little offensive that people would think that way. I think the amount of money spent on weddings is absurd, hopefully people being invited are there to celebrate with the couple, not looking for a free fancy dinner. 

20+ years ago when 99 and I were planning a wedding things were just as bad.  We ended up with a wedding cake that we made ourselves (cheese cake) and that's what we served our guests.  We look back and wish we had done it differently but money was tight and we were torn between what was expected, what we *thought* was expected, and what we could afford.  There was so much stress over things we don't remember or care about and we're just as married.

So we have a plan for our agents in training (if they'll go along).  Our vision is to have a hog roast (or some such party/gathering) and invite friends & family -- and at some point in the evening announce that the real reason for the guests are there is for a wedding.  At that point do the deed and continue the party.  If the guests want to give gifts, that's on them -- no pressure, no expectations.  Sorta like eloping but on a much more personal level.  Our oldest is totally with us on it but he's a boy and may have limited say in the deal -- although he'd sure like a wife that would do it.  Looking back, 99 & I wish we'd done something similar and ditched all the pomp & circumstance and saved the money, worry, and hassle.

Sorry... what's the thread topic again?

10 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

https://beallsblog.com/about/

In the words of Linda Richman, discuss.

"Our life together began caring for horses and cows in the morning and going to classes together in law school [Law school, mind you. But our daughters?? No higher schooling for them!] at night. For fifteen years we ran our family catalog company [selling overpriced crap to the masses], held conferences [where we preached our vile version of "Christianity"], started a film school [a vehicle for my husband's massive ego], made movies [which were crap], launched a few organizations [like the Titanic Men and Boys' Society - women and children last!!], republished old books [Elsie Dinsmore! J.G. Henty!], spoke with lots and lots of people [persuading them to share in our unique version of reality], and worked with orphans and adopted children, like myself.  We succeeded greatly [fleecing our followers] and failed catastrophically [when my husband's sex crimes finally caught up with him]. One moment we were surrounded by many, and another almost completely alone. Some people spoke painful truths into our lives. Others tried to profit by spreading epic falsehood. We had friends, lost friends, were built up, were broken into pieces, and driven to our knees, only to find a new direction for life." [What have I left out? Oh, yes - Doug has abandoned all his former beliefs, not to mention me and the kids, and is swanning around Europe filming burlesque acts and cuddling with Lady Flo! And it's still all about us!!]

Fixed that for ya, Beall.

11 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

...launched a few organizations [like the Titanic Men and Boys' Society - women and children last!!]...

More first class men survived than third class children on the real Titanic, so the namesake organization was just being historically accurate. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived