IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 5 Defrauding the Entire World?

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, hoipolloi said:
14 hours ago, Kylolo said:

do you (or anyone) know where I can find background on Beall cutting off her family? 

One probably less-than-impeccable source on the friction between Beall and her family over her wish to marry DPIART comes from the linked comment thread of several years ago at Jem's Gems. Grains of salt advised:

#1: In one of his really old cassettes (produced around 2001), [Doug] talked about his “courtship” of Beall (he pursued her in an unusual way, but they ended up having to wait years to get married because of a foolish financial decision Doug made)....

#2: I don’t know to what “foolish financial decision” Doug Phillips referred with respect to the delay in his marriage to Beall but I do know at least part (if not much/all) of the delay was on account of her parents’ position with respect to the marriage. That did not change and ultimately their wishes were not honored.

#1: I can’t remember the entire story, but it had to do with Doug purchasing an expensive car on credit (against his father’s advice) and then wrecking it(?), which put him in debt that took him years to get out of.

#2: Yes. The red jeep. Terrible accident that involved Beall and another woman whose arm was very badly hurt...

Perhaps, one of these days, someone or several someones who knew them all at William & Mary is going to show up here.

Knew those who were there.  This is (surprisingly, given Jen is the source), fairly accurate.  They met end of her freshman year and the red jeep was his chosen form of transportation.  He wore cowboy boots too (looks like they might still be in use in the white pants picture).  They didn't start dating until her sophomore year.  He was in and out of William and Mary traipsing off to Angola or other Howardly adventures because he didn't graduate until the same year as her. He was always an off-campus type (most students live on-campus all four years at W & M) and by the time he was "courting" her he had quit his fraternity--Pi Kappa Alpha, IIRC.    Jeep accident took place maybe the following year--her junior year. Not sure about all the truth of the bought-on-credit part, but it was a bad accident and he was under some financial obligations after it.  Leslie Potter was the one whose arm was hurt.  Beall's parents had reservations- to say the least. And, as well stated above, the irony of the fact that Beall and Doug did not respect them, ultimately, is so rich given all the bunk he/they put out about honoring parents' wishes etc.  It was ultimately justified by vilifying her parents (with support by the Potters and possibly others) and taking the position that their misgivings were unchristian and not Scripturally founded according to Doug, and Beall.  She lived independently and worked in Texas, maybe teaching, for 3 + years after graduation. Even though her parents maintained their reservations, they did attend the wedding in Dallas in July 1992. The estrangement from her family was not total at first IIRC.  There was some connection beyond Joshua's birth and especially with Beall's grandmother but eventually, Doug managed to fully control (See Manson Family, Scientology and other mind-control cults) and Beall seems to have reduced/eliminated contact altogether.  How this is all explained to their children one can only imagine.  Sadly, from what I understand about her family, they would have been (could be) a real lifeline to those  kids whose existence right now is as bizarre as everyone has described here recently.

21 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

ETA: Beall should be the one to seriously kick his ass but she's too dependent? prideful? ashamed? to do it.

All of the above but IMHO it's a mix of denial, misplaced optimism and intense maternal instinct/protection of children.  Let's hope that eventually wears off or "those who are speaking truth" will have the moxie (sp?) to confront her with her disconnection from reality and how it actually disserves her kids.

11 hours ago, bea said:

Yeah, uh, Beall, YOU may not have quit, but DPIAT has checked out.

The photo of the  broken down bicycle built for two  posted about the time of their 25th Anniversary spoke volumes.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beall's latest post.  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

An Edited Version

Too many words saying very little.

I'm pinching myself with regret that four months have gone by since I have written down what's in my head, and now only two months are left before my new decade.

Don't forget Beall's birthday.  She'll be 50!

My iphone is filled with notes, but when life speeds up, exercise and serious writing get shelved. That's bad on both counts! So here I am, two short months out.

Beall obviously didn't review her notes.  What has she been so busy with?

My family and friends tease me a lot about my excitement over turning 50.

I had no idea Beall was excited about turning 50.  This blog seems to be more about reminiscing about happier days and wishing her children weren't growing up.

What's to be excited about? Not much is going to change between October 5 and October 7. I won't be a different person. But I actually am different from the person I was when I turned 40, and when I turned 30, and so on.

We all are.  It is about maturing.

I was happy with who I was then, and I am happy with who I am now. . . as long as I am different the next time I look over my shoulder. 

No regrets at all?

The old fashioned way to edit life. 

For the last 20 years, I have been an editor. I have edited articles and reports and media copy and letters and books and catalogs and curriculum, and . . . myself.

Give me a break!

Yes, I am forever editing myself. Constantly. Ruthlessly. Take the red pen and make it more succinct, more relevant, fix the spelling and grammar, hone in on what really needs to be said and get rid of all the rest. It is vital to the written word and it is vital to my life. 

Downsizing is good.  I wish she'd taken a red pen to this blog post.  Too many words.

Then, the copy gets cleaned up, changes made, and the new draft is that much closer to what it needs to be. 

I wish you'd use that metaphorical red pen to obliterate gallivanting Doug from your life after 50.  He's just not worth it, Beall.

The red pen from my 40s is being incorporated and an updated version is ready for the editor. 50 will be the newest draft of me. 

That's like really deep, man.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:16 PM, ladyamylynn said:

***LOLDOUG ALERT I REPEAT LOLDOUG ALERT*** 

FB_IMG_1501470796603.jpg

Lenny & Squiggy & DPIARBT

12 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Lenny & Squiggy & DPIARBT

That's perfect!

22 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Lenny & Squiggy 

OMG, yes!! 

@Quinquagenarian interesting about DPIAT and Beall's history starting at college.  Can totally see why Beall's parents had reservations, red flags were popping up then: DPIAT in and out of college, Howardly adventures (hilarious name btw), accident, serious financial burdens for a college student.  Not to mention the hypocrisy between how both of them lived their lives prior to marriage but deny the same to their kids (college, independent living, rebelling against parents).

33 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

All of the above but IMHO it's a mix of denial, misplaced optimism and intense maternal instinct/protection of children. 

ITA on this.   And I bet that Beall has probably not been able to trust DPIAT for years but she's managed to live that way for so long that she would rather stay in the marriage instead of forging a different life.  In short, fear.

25 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

@Quinquagenarian interesting about DPIAT and Beall's history starting at college.  Can totally see why Beall's parents had reservations, red flags were popping up then: DPIAT in and out of college, Howardly adventures (hilarious name btw), accident, serious financial burdens for a college student.  Not to mention the hypocrisy between how both of them lived their lives prior to marriage but deny the same to their kids (college, independent living, rebelling against parents).

Yes on all that, and to their credit, it was equally or more of a general distrust and intuition or profound concern for his grandiosity and pompous ego which gave them great, warranted pause. Beall changed too and they probably had legitimate concerns about her shift from confident independence to her besottedness with DPIARBT.

To smarter more canny heads than mine:  Does Beall's IG post with the French sisters posted on July 22nd (a day before the cornfest Meatball Concert), indicate she was in France prior or were these French people in Peoria? Does the "5000 miles travelled" include a trip abroad right about the time of her anniversary on the 18th? And finally, why must these people be so cryptic and mysterious....unless they are trying to HIDE and OBSCURE the truth about themselves!!?

ETA:  After reviewing I see that the 5000 miles was in the car and I can see Beall in one of the OM Peoria photos. Also, her 5000 miles had to have included this Midwest trip which included all the kids. And NOT "The Father."

2 hours ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Knew those who were there.

Well, well, well -- I asked and *I* received! Thank you for this background!

Do those you know who were there also have any knowledge of how/why Bill Potter left the PhD program in History? Guessing here, but it seems as though Potter may have been in graduate school at W & M around the time DPIART & Be-All were undergrads.

A long time ago, DPIART wrote that the "Marxist" chair of history (said to be a former Weatherman from UW-Madison) blocked Potter because of his overt Christian and Southern perspective on history. On his LinkedIn profile, Potter lists himself  as having a "PhD (abd)" from W & M. "ABD" is code for "all but dissertation" and is NOT something an actual scholar would want on her or his resume.

TIA, and thanks again for filling in the blanks!

ETA: looked more closely at the LinkedIn profile. Potter would have been in & out of the history dept years before DPIART & Be-All were at W & M. Potter must have been hanging around, maybe as a lecturer or something.

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, I am forever editing myself. Constantly. Ruthlessly. Take the red pen and make it more succinct, more relevant, fix the spelling and grammar, hone in on what really needs to be said and get rid of all the rest. It is vital to the written word and it is vital to my life. 

Downsizing is good.  I wish she'd taken a red pen to this blog post.  Too many words.

Loved ALL your commentaries but this one is deserving of the bright side of the internet -- and all things appertaining thereto!!!!!

1 hour ago, Quinquagenarian said:

To smarter more canny heads than mine:  Does Beall's IG post with the French sisters posted on July 22nd (a day before the cornfest Meatball Concert), indicate she was in France prior or were these French people in Peoria? Does the "5000 miles travelled" include a trip abroad right about the time of her anniversary on the 18th? And finally, why must these people be so cryptic and mysterious....unless they are trying to HIDE and OBSCURE the truth about themselves!!?

ETA:  After reviewing I see that the 5000 miles was in the car and I can see Beall in one of the OM Peoria photos. Also, her 5000 miles had to have included this Midwest trip which included all the kids. And NOT "The Father."

QFT, @Quinquagenarian, QFT

I have a Q for you about Beall's family looking askance at her marriage about the time of Joshua's birth. Was part of that the way Doug pulled her and the hours-old newborn out of the hospital and into a restaurant for breakfast before going home?

Just something I've noticed about DPIAT:  Since he became a film autuer for the burlesque/ cos play world and is floating without a care around Europe, the VF Wide Stance (TM) is noticeably absent from his photos.  He's actually standing like a normal person.

which leads me to this question -- why the wide stance in the VF world to begin with?  All the men seemed to do it -- there are tons of photos.  But now, DP has a regular normal stance -- not that I think he's normal.  But his stance no longer looks ridiculous.

Do any of you Fjers with fundie knowledge/ experience have an explanation/ good guess about the wide stance phenom?

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

I asked and *I* received! Thank you for this background!

You are welcome.  Yes indeed. I meant to be upfront about that when I joined.

As far as Potter, I understand he and his family attended the same church as Beall and sometimes Doug.  Once Doug was on the scene they cozied up. He supposedly wore a Farmer/Planter's Hat in those days and while he pontificated on much historic, never heard of him affiliated with William and Mary. Think he went to college in Tennessee although he's from Ohio.  Potters were definitely pro Doug & Beall and con-Beall's family.  Potter eventually left that church--not sure why--but sounds familiar.  Then he was working at an Oriental Rug store in Virginia Beach.  This was before he landed the job he has now with the Leininger-like benefactor who sends him on these historic trips.  Understand he lives near Lexington, Virginia now to be near grandchildren. ??? Can only wonder how he squares Doug/Flo/Cirque-de-Flambé with his still strident positions. His failure to denounce DPIARBT says it all. Maybe he takes his Euro-tours to the Cabarets.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

QFT, @Quinquagenarian, QFT

I have a Q for you about Beall's family looking askance at her marriage about the time of Joshua's birth. Was part of that the way Doug pulled her and the hours-old newborn out of the hospital and into a restaurant for breakfast before going home?

Sorry, I was unclear. FWIU the looks askance began long before the marriage.  Beall's family maintained some kind of contact with the Phillips at the time of Joshua's birth but not sure it lasted much past then. Beall lived in Texas after college, they moved to Virginia after marriage.  Fairly confident that her family have never seen at least half if not all of the children except Joshua and maybe Justice.  So the Phillips did not drop Beall's parents like a hotcake, rather DPIARBT gradually alienated Beall from them (grooming behavior anyone?) and effected the estrangement.  FWIU anytime Beall's family/friends were not people who liked him (i.e. fawned over him) or maybe saw him for what he was, he absented himself. This would make sense with her family but to the same point she attended at least one college reunion solo and without him back in VF era.  Again, hypocrisy she being out there "on her own" etc etc. And of course she appears to be doing that in spades now trekking about with all of his progeny but without any adult male headship/protection etc.  "He is so busy" or "He has to work" were/are likely the lines.

Checking Flo's FB page. There is a photo of DPIARBT "dancing" (Tevye memories anyone?) that seems to me to show the right-hand-ring as more of a signet type. In the photo listed here earlier it also looks larger than a wedding band.  Someone smarter than me can post today's picture and see what others think.

Also, given Flo's herniated disc and financial needs as she posted on her page I do NOT think she is paying DPIARBT much. Maybe her husband and/or Radio Moderne are, but I more likely think this is just the scene he digs and he goes there when he can, as often as he can. Sorry kids, Daddy's got other fish to fry.

11 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Checking Flo's FB page. There is a photo of DPIARBT "dancing" (Tevye memories anyone?) 

It is soooo Tevye!

Why, Doug's half-Jewish, you know! That means you can never accuse him of being any kind of bigot, ever!!!

1 minute ago, DomWackTroll said:

It is soooo Tevye!

Reminds me of that awful video he did in the Tel Aviv airport.

2 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

It is soooo Tevye!

Why, Doug's half-Jewish, you know! That means you can never accuse him of being any kind of bigot, ever!!!

Thank you DomWackTroll!

Caption that picture..... GO!

13 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Reminds me of that awful video he did in the Tel Aviv airport.

I'm not kidding when I say I'd do almost anything to see that trainwreck again. 

I'd be surprised if DPIART or Cinema of Wonders is being paid much of anything for this.

Lady Flo & company seem to be doing this primarily for fun & of course out of a major love of cosplay and performance. If there's any money from this endeavor, it can't be much though even there are some paid gigs. Power to them.

I played "Where's Waldo DPIARBT" as I cruised through the pictures.  He's not hard to spot with pink shirt & brown pants and is in quite a few of the pics.

Like this one:

20525640_1554859841202511_79301818698437

13 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Which leads me to this question -- why the wide stance in the VF world to begin with?  All the men seemed to do it -- there are tons of photos.  But now, DP has a regular normal stance -- not that I think he's normal.  But his stance no longer looks ridiculous.

Do any of you Fjers with fundie knowledge/ experience have an explanation/ good guess about the wide stance phenom?

I don't know if it was ever conclusively linked, but our own FJ User Titles list says:

Screenshot_20170802-012516.thumb.jpg.0cebf7a6ba117d7fdfd7cc5b2895f202.jpg

Found here: 

Larger version of the picture:

Spoiler

post-2315-14451996512438.jpg.98cc436d746c32c1acf0dd6d40b21cf1.jpg

A few reminders of the scandal:

Spoiler

larrycraigmug4.jpg.a1286580644a01b216b4d6b171c47d8e.jpg

gallery_298_17_7030.jpg.a088e706335084788f1c532b6dff2282.jpg

larry.jpg.fc06a61322adef4c74c1b014417f4f4f.jpg

5 hours ago, Maxwell said:

Like this one:

Dougie is no John Travolta!  :penguin-no:

14 hours ago, Quinquagenarian said:

the right-hand-ring

I meant left. :brainfart:

9 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I have to admit this looks like a fun event.

Yes maybe. Certainly more fun than sitting under his sermons and soliloquies  or "courting"/marrying someone others select for you etc. He has certainly TRANSITIONED from Controller to Cavorter. On the wide stance change-- points to his chameleon-like character. 

16 hours ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Cirque-de-Flambé

Cavorter

:56247951a4b60_32(2):

7 hours ago, Maxwell said:

This pic makes me uncomfortable in a way that I can't quite describe. Sort of Ewwww combined with WTF with subtle notes of Whuuuut? and a final frisson of SRSLY? DPIAT?  BTW, That facial expression belongs in flamenco, Doug. 

Ruminations: If Beall could hang on through the Lourdes implosion in their marriage, maybe she thinks she can hang on through the latest.  I have no doubt that she loves and adores her children without reservation and would not want to break up her family.  Also, has Beall reconnected with her parents this summer, or with other relatives?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived