IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 5 Defrauding the Entire World?

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Traveling the world, friends with Flo, documenting burlesque dancers, and yet still producing videos.  Dougie has a new life it seems.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Quinquagenarian wrote:

"Seems Sam Phillips carries on his maternal family's Catholic heritage at his Alma Mater. 

https://www.christendom.edu/admissions/meet-our-team/

And if that is him at the Diner it would explain the wedding ring."

Sounds idyllic but the fact that Sam's two female staffers are identified with the "Miss" honorific sends me back to the bad old days of the 1960s and even 1970s, when corporate phone books listed women employees as either Miss or Mrs.  Men just were listed by name.

Because, I was tartly informed, that was information people needed to know: a woman's marital status. 

Oh, Offred...

I also thought the man in the photo was Sam Phillips, though it's hard to tell for sure unless you can see the eyes clearly. Sam and JT look very similar but have different colored eyes. From what I understand from mutual acquaintances, Sam is the one who helps out his parents the most so it would make sense that he would travel to Fla. with is mother.  If I remember correctly, she's about 80 or close to it.

As a sidenote, the discussion of the Catholic Phillipses reminded me of a characteristic of DC fundiedom that's a bit unusual to other parts of the country. There are very active and vibrant Protestant conservative Christian communities of various stripes (with a heavy dose of reformed) and also a very active and growing "traditional " (i.e. rather fundie) Catholic community in the DC area. The two have a somewhat interesting relationship, as they find common cause on certain political issues (homeschooling, pro-life, etc..) and there are often friendships between families in both communities. However, because of the deep theological differences, they generally diverge a bit at young adulthood, with the Catholic kids going off to  places like Christendom and the Protestant kids going to approved schools, depending on whether they're Reformed, IFB, etc..  Patrick Henry is often a popular choice.  Looking at the Phillips family against this background, they actually strike me as very DC fundie. There are a few other families I know of in political circles in the DC area who flow between the conservative Catholic and conservative Protestant circles like that.

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Sounds idyllic but the fact that Sam's two female staffers are identified with the "Miss" honorific sends me back to the bad old days of the 1960s and even 1970s, when corporate phone books listed women employees as either Miss or Mrs.  Men just were listed by name.

Because, I was tartly informed, that was information people needed to know: a woman's marital status.

I often use the honorific "Miss" to mess with people--because it's the least likely title for a 64-year-old, twice-married, twice-divorced grandmother. (Well, I do use my maiden name, so it kind of matches.)

In college I babysat for a woman who was in the Junior League. I was leafing through her Junior League directory and every member was listed as something like:

Smith, Mrs. Harry (Louise)

I wonder if it's still that way - this was like 30 years ago

Just now, StacyW said:

In college I babysat for a woman who was in the Junior League. I was leafing through her Junior League directory and every member was listed as something like:

When I joined the board of directors of our local YWCA in the '70s, that's how it was. I sweetly told them, "Oh, I don't go by Mrs. Jim Smith. I go by Hane Jones-Smith." My friend announced that she used her maiden name. We kick-started that gang into the feminist era! 

(I have some old cookbooks in which certain recipes are attributed to Mrs. Joe Lastname.)

1 hour ago, StacyW said:

I belonged 25 years ago and it wasn't. 

Had it been, I wouldn't have joined!

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

...And if that is him at the Diner it would explain the wedding ring.

It would also explain the (as yet unmentioned) young boy coloring at the table -- he's obviously not DPIART's.  Sam has 4 children, 2 boys, 2 girls

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

True story, which I posted in another FJ thread back in 2013, but it bears repeating: my first post-graduate-degree job was at a small Midwestern college that shall remain nameless. Shortly after Fall term began, the academic dean's secretary printed and distributed an annual faculty directory that included the names of spouses. Per that college's tradition, it was to be used for planning social gatherings (think tweedy, sherry-sipping, weekend dinners lovingly prepared by faculty wives).

There were three (count 'em, three) unmarried faculty members that year: me fresh out of grad school, and two 50-ish divorced male professors. The dean's secretary chose to leave our names out of the directory - why, after all, would single or divorced people want to be included in local social gatherings?? 

I was too shocked, and too averse to boat-rocking (it was, after all, my first "real" job) to say anything, but one of the divorced men saved me the trouble - he raised quite the stink, and the directory was re-printed with every faculty name included.

Didn't "Mrs. Herfirstname  Hislastname" mean she was divorced at one point?

7 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

True story, which I posted in another FJ thread back in 2013, but it bears repeating: my first post-graduate-degree job was at a small Midwestern college that shall remain nameless....

Thanks for re-sharing this story.  It's a great reminder of how far we've come.  I remember the brouhaha around using Ms., how divorce was scandalous and many other things.  Still a ways to go and losing ground with the current administration, but so much better than the bad old days. 

11 hours ago, Hane said:

(I have some old cookbooks in which certain recipes are attributed to Mrs. Joe Lastname.)

Which is also a reminder that society at that time didn't allow a place of dignity for single women. 

12 hours ago, Hane said:

Me too!

I was also brought up to address envelopes to "Mrs His-Initials Last-Name". All that went down the pan when a) aunt divorced and reverted to maiden name, b ) grandmother went into nursing home where none of the staff recognised her by her husband's initials (crazy, right, it's almost like she's an individual who's been widowed 15 years!), c) friend got PhD and DIDN'T MARRY HER BOYFRIEND and just how am I supposed to send Christmas cards to those crazy kids????

:pb_rollseyes:

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

It did at least in my part of the country.  I had a friend with a sister who was about 10 years older. She got married while we were in middle school, and I remember her mother being scandlized that she wanted to be addressed as "Mrs. (her first name) (married last name)" for exactly that reason. This would have been in the 1990s.

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

When I was discovering Amy Vanderbilt etiquette before my wedding, I discovered that is true. How ridiculous. And all thru life, men go by one name: their own. 

On 5/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Continued from here:

Traveling the world, friends with Flo, documenting burlesque dancers, and yet still producing videos.  Dougie has a new life it seems.

Or new lives.  I wonder if the people back home were fully aware of the Tool hanging around with burlesque dancers.  

Growing up in a small Southern town years ago a divorced woman (heavens!) was formally addressed -- mail, etc, -- as Herlastname Hislastname.  So you have the case of Mrs. Ball Holder (true I swear). This practice eventually morphed into Herfirstname Hislastname. I never knew a divorced woman to reclaim her maiden name.

Married women, even widows of many years, were always Mrs. Hisname Hislastname.  Unmarried women, no matter if they were 90 were always Miss.  Two unmarried sisters, way up in their 60s, who taught in my grade school where simply addressed as Miss Catherine and Miss Florence  (no last name used) because everyone knew who they were.

There was also the odd case of the long separated but never divorced wife of a leading citizen and local well-off businessman who was always known (even before the separation) by her maiden name "Miss Mary Smith"  "Miss" always included

14 hours ago, Maxwell said:

It would also explain the (as yet unmentioned) young boy coloring at the table -- he's obviously not DPIART's.  Sam has 4 children, 2 boys, 2 girls

Hmm. I thought that was Providence or Honor. Whichever one is closer in age to Virginia (I know the other is right next to Beall). But I defer.

I met a traveller from an antique land, 

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of flesh 

Stand on the stage . . . Near them, on the pulpit, 

Half sunk a weathered Vision Forum catalog lies, whose faded 

And wrinkled pictures, and ruffles of wild dress up, 

Tell that the phot'grapher well those passions read 

Which yet survive, stamped on ancient publications: 

The hand that mocked them, and the mouth that lied; 

And in the caption, these words appear: 

My name is Doug Phillips, Tool of Tools; 

Look on my wide stance, ye Mighty, and despair! 

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay 

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare 

The wild and weathered pages blow far away.

All apologies to Percy Bysshe Shelly's Ozymandias

Edit: I've always associated Wide Stance's with either Caesar bestriding Rome like a Colossus or this pome.  With the fall of VF, it's been shoved into Ozy territory.   

So much odd speculation about that photo, lol. You guys are talking about the one with the family around the table right? I'm 99.8% certain the guy is JT. Unless the uncles have the exact same facial hair color and pattern I just don't see how it can not be JT. I don't know why he appears to be wearing a wedding band. It's a selfie though, so it's possible/likely the photo is flipped and that is not his left hand, making it just a band on his right hand. Which seems FAR more likely than it being someone else. 

As far add the name discussion, my parents divorced in the 70s and my mother took her maiden name back and my stepmother never took my father's name, so that seemed normal to me. My husband grandfather died in the 80s and she remained Mrs Hisfirstname Hislast name for the next 35 yrs. And my MIL divided in the 90s kept her husband last name, she's now been divorced longer than she was married, it just seems so weird to me to keep the name of an ex husband. 

I kept my maiden name and added my husband last name but didn't hyphenate. My father was not fatherly. I was happy to get take the name of the man who loved me. 

2 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

So much odd speculation about that photo, lol. You guys are talking about the one with the family around the table right? I'm 99.8% certain the guy is JT. Unless the uncles have the exact same facial hair color and pattern I just don't see how it can not be JT. I don't know why he appears to be wearing a wedding band. It's a selfie though, so it's possible/likely the photo is flipped and that is not his left hand, making it just a band on his right hand. Which seems FAR more likely than it being someone else. 

If the photo was flipped, the writing would be flipped, too, right?  Does the school do 'class rings' for graduation, maybe?  I agree with you, I think that's JT as well.

3 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

...kept my maiden name ... added my husband last name ... didn't hyphenate. 

That's all well and good untill Miss Neuenschwander married Mr. Schwartzenfiger and suddenly you can't order business cards.

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

And in the caption, these words appear: 

My name is Doug Phillips, Tool of Tools; 

Look on my wide stance, ye Mighty, and despair! 

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay 

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare 

The wild and weathered pages blow far away.

All apologies to Percy Bysshe Shelly's Ozymandias

Edit: I've always associated Wide Stance's with either Caesar bestriding Rome like a Colossus or this pome.  With the fall of VF, it's been shoved into Ozy territory.   

I don't know whether to love you or hate you for this rendition of my all-time favourite poem.

Okay, I love you. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Quinquagenarian said:

...thought that was Providence or Honor. Whichever one is closer in age to Virginia (I know the other is right next to Beall). But I defer.

Isn't Virginia the youngest?  That boy is definitely younger than her.  I could be wrong...

1 hour ago, Maxwell said:

That's all well and good untill Miss Neuenschwander married Mr. Schwartzenfiger and suddenly you can't order business cards.

I only use both for legal documents, just my husband's (which I've had for almost 30yrs now) for everyday stuff. I think it's fairly common for women to shift their maiden name to a middle name position and add their husbands as last name. This is basically the same. I've never had a problem. 

The two youngest boys -- Howard Honor & Providence -- are at the back in this photo. They are older than Virginia who is the youngest at about 10-11 years.

591479e9a6c67_ScreenShot2017-05-11at7_47_15AM.png.1bcb451ef1c534b5d64abc5224b0d000.png

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived