IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 5: Engagment on the Horizon

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Pasta said:

Had John been a groomsmen in every wedding so far?

I think it's there way of showing him off for fundie women. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, marmalade said:

Or TLC again employs the Flash of DOOM in any groomsman interactions.  

I'd like to see Josh be in the wedding party, however to keep the show interesting, TLC should employ a series of hilarious edits to hide him. The Flash of doom, a floating image of baby Marcus, a paper bag that covers his head, a balaclava, a ridiculously creepy Halloween mask...

THAT I would watch. Alternatively Josh could be in the wedding party under the clause that he must wear one of those realistic dinosaur costumes the entire time. It could be a nod to their creationist belief system.

DinoJosh would definitely be a 10/10 must watch! Bonus points if they have somebody whack him and yell NOT THE MOMMA (because whacking Josh would probably be fun for all involved) a la: 

Spoiler

ETA: Fun for all involved except DinoJosh, that is. But the whackers would have a blast. 

Nah. They'd buy a used dinosaur suit to save the difference. It wouldn't fit properly, and bits of Josh would be sticking out. Shudder.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:46 PM, calimojo said:

BTW,  do we know if JB paid out of pocket for Josie's care?  Do they have private insurance?  Did JD have to pay for that rental home?   Or Did TLC pay for it

I  was thinking they used a "Christian Health Plan" or quiverful healthcare money pool, but I can't find any links to support this, so I've edited my post. 

All I'm finding is that bit from Larry King back in 2009 where JB said they have coverage for only $417/month w/ a $2500 deductible, but no maternity coverage. So I guess we don't really know?

6 hours ago, Jiraffe said:

DinoJosh would definitely be a 10/10 must watch! Bonus points if they have somebody whack him and yell NOT THE MOMMA (because whacking Josh would probably be fun for all involved) a la: 

Reveal hidden contents

ETA: Fun for all involved except DinoJosh, that is. But the whackers would have a blast. 

I love "NOT THE MOMMA"  I want to teach my baby grandson to do that to his daddy. 

3 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I love "NOT THE MOMMA"  I want to teach my baby grandson to do that to his daddy. 

Yes!!! I plan on teaching any children I have to do it as well, haha. I loved that show!

9 hours ago, Berty K said:

I  was thinking they used a "Christian Health Plan" or quiverful healthcare money pool, but I can't find any links to support this, so I've edited my post. 

All I'm finding is that bit from Larry King back in 2009 where JB said they have coverage for only $417/month w/ a $2500 deductible, but no maternity coverage. So I guess we don't really know?

No maternity coverage?  There's a risk assessor somewhere who spotted that one and was probably promoted to CEO the next day as a reward.

17 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'd like to see Josh be in the wedding party, however to keep the show interesting, TLC should employ a series of hilarious edits to hide him. The Flash of doom, a floating image of baby Marcus, a paper bag that covers his head, a balaclava, a ridiculously creepy Halloween mask...

THAT I would watch. Alternatively Josh could be in the wedding party under the clause that he must wear one of those realistic dinosaur costumes the entire time. It could be a nod to their creationist belief system.

I know they're ridiculously anti-gay, but I'd pay good money to see TLC go the Mrs. Doubtfire route to disguise him.

These are funny ideas about how to disguise Josh, but seriously, it's got to be weird for the family and him to be at these events that are filmed and he has to be edited out or positioned so as to be out of the the camera view. 

Not defending Josh's actions and certainly not defending JB's and J'chelle's epic parenting fails that contributed.  Josh as a family member (and especially if the family is going to embrace him as much as possible) he does deserve to be at these events but these editing efforts it's a constant reminder to everyone about his "sins" and the fallout.     Even at happy events like weddings.    It's got to be hard to carry on that.

37 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

These are funny ideas about how to disguise Josh, but seriously, it's got to be weird for the family and him to be at these events that are filmed and he has to be edited out or positioned so as to be out of the the camera view. 

Not defending Josh's actions and certainly not defending JB's and J'chelle's epic parenting fails that contributed.  Josh as a family member (and especially if the family is going to embrace him as much as possible) he does deserve to be at these events but these editing efforts it's a constant reminder to everyone about his "sins" and the fallout.     Even at happy events like weddings.    It's got to be hard to carry on that.

Gotta pay the bills.

10 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Gotta pay the bills.

Yep it does that and they are too reliant on the TLC money and perks to let it go.  But it still puts the family in situations that keeps what happened with Josh in the back of their minds.   Can't be healthy at all but then again, they never were.

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Yep it does that and they are too reliant on the TLC money and perks to let it go.  But it still puts the family in situations that keeps what happened with Josh in the back of their minds.   Can't be healthy at all but then again, they never were.

That's very true. As long as they have to continue to hide Josh, tiptoe around the problem etcetera, the family and especially the victims can never really move forward from it. I kind of do wish, not that I want to see him or think what he did was okay, but I do wish they could just let him be in the background of shots without having to turn him into the sun. If he has to be involved for something like a wedding, leave him back there out of focus, don't give him any storylines, don't feature him, and let the rest of the family go on with their lives.

I feel like they've already lost the vast majority of their sponsors and audience because of him anyway, so they probably wouldn't lose the rest by doing so. At this point the viewers are mostly leghumpers or snark-watchers who know he's there anyway.

I was thinking about that too @nokidsmom.  Especially as his kids are getting older.  How do they explain it to them?  "Daddy sinned before Jesus and must now repent evermore?" I also wonder what they said to Tyler.  "Your cousin had Satan in his heart and the good people at TLC would only renew our contract if he wasn't shown?  Sure, our show is our ministry but we mustn't talk about the big bad sin in the camp and how we are all coping with it/how he tries to rebuild relationships/how Jesus saves with regard to this one tremendous betrayal???"

1 hour ago, Jiraffe said:

As long as they have to continue to hide Josh, tiptoe around the problem etcetera, the family and especially the victims can never really move forward from it.

I never thought I'd find myself in any way remotely defending Josh. But I have to say, if I majorly screwed up like he did and then my family moved forward with the show and just edited me out, I'd be so butt hurt. As if my very real psychological issues don't matter as much, and they're willing to just remove me from the situation for their own financial gains. If they really loved Josh, wouldn't you just say, look, this fame thing has clearly fucked up our family. Cancel the show, regroup and connect as a family. But then again, I'm not a famewhore messed up fundie...

On 3/12/2017 at 0:02 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I used to refer to them as Beavis and Butthead when I first started watching.  JD will be best man, likely.

OMG! Ima go home and watch counting on reruns and picture this. 

The_Beavis_and_Butt-Head_Experience.jpg

39 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

I never thought I'd find myself in any way remotely defending Josh. But I have to say, if I majorly screwed up like he did and then my family moved forward with the show and just edited me out, I'd be so butt hurt. As if my very real psychological issues don't matter as much, and they're willing to just remove me from the situation for their own financial gains. If they really loved Josh, wouldn't you just say, look, this fame thing has clearly fucked up our family. Cancel the show, regroup and connect as a family. But then again, I'm not a famewhore messed up fundie...

Re: the bolded, I personally think this gets to the heart of things.  The family really doesn't get that Josh has some serious issues nor do they understand the real impact on family members (sisters, Anna, kids) therefore they also have issues.  I mean seriously deep down get it.  Agree for the sake of their psychological health the best thing would be to cancel the show and focus on real healing not tossing Josh into Jesus Jail with a lick and a promise that it's going to fix him.   By ignoring all this, and trying to continue the show with the bad boy edited out because $$$ they continue to perpetuate the damage on a number of levels.   

If the Duggars really really wanted Josh included, they could just not film the (insert happy family event) here.  It's pretty much that simple.  If they love and truly forgive Josh, then they should include him and tell TLC to just deal with it.  Since Josh doesn't seem to be included much in these family events, I can only conclude that they still feel resentment (probably rightly so) or just would rather have the money.

20 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

If the Duggars really really wanted Josh included, they could just not film the (insert happy family event) here.  It's pretty much that simple.  If they love and truly forgive Josh, then they should include him and tell TLC to just deal with it.  Since Josh doesn't seem to be included much in these family events, I can only conclude that they still feel resentment (probably rightly so) or just would rather have the money.

Exactly this.  While I think there's definitely got be some resentment especially since the issues were not and continue to not being addressed, I think it's really all about the $$$$.

3 hours ago, JMO said:

I was thinking about that too @nokidsmom.  Especially as his kids are getting older.  How do they explain it to them?  "Daddy sinned before Jesus and must now repent evermore?" I also wonder what they said to Tyler.  "Your cousin had Satan in his heart and the good people at TLC would only renew our contract if he wasn't shown?  Sure, our show is our ministry but we mustn't talk about the big bad sin in the camp and how we are all coping with it/how he tries to rebuild relationships/how Jesus saves with regard to this one tremendous betrayal???"

I think about this sometimes too. I like to think that the adults surrounding Josh and his curious children/nephews/littlest siblings basically have no choice but to say that Josh committed some particularly bad sins that he's still recovering from, as are the people he hurt. I'm sure all of the authority figures "prayerfully considered" this stance so it's A-okay. I just like to think sooner or later, it's going to become obvious to them all that some sins are worse than others.

24 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I think about this sometimes too. I like to think that the adults surrounding Josh and his curious children/nephews/littlest siblings basically have no choice but to say that Josh committed some particularly bad sins that he's still recovering from, as are the people he hurt. I'm sure all of the authority figures "prayerfully considered" this stance so it's A-okay. I just like to think sooner or later, it's going to become obvious to them all that some sins are worse than others.

Also, it's going to be become very difficult to not find out exactly what he did regardless of how it continues to be explained within the family.  There's stuff all over the internet on it, lots of people know and will remember it.  Also if he messes up again.  I think it's more likely he will than if he won't.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:24 AM, vspielman said:

Just THIS.  I was rewatching Kid Farm again the other day for the gazillionth time and the "recreation" of that blessed moment still makes me laugh like a fool.  That whole damn little series still makes me laugh like a fool.

Dear sweet holy jebus--how have I missed this?  Just watched the pilot.  Have a lot of binging to do.

On March 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Berty K said:

I have to imagine that TLC provided them coverage. The idea that Michelle or her child would not have adequate health insurance while filming a show about her pregnancy seems like a liability to me. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived