IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 5: Engagment on the Horizon

choralcrusader8613

Your a fundie and your on this site? How does that make you feel? I went to a fundie church when I was really young but as I grew the church became more independent 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fighter said:

Your a fundie and your on this site? How does that make you feel? I went to a fundie church when I was really young but as I grew the church became more independent 

Yeeeees. I agree with things, I disagree with things, I get frustrated with things,  I learn things, I occasionally try to set things straights (though usually not as I like my anonymity and I don't fancy being the resident fundie-apologist). I often take things with a grain of salt; a number of things said here about people I know are false and I try to keep that in mind when reading here about people that I don't know. 

5 hours ago, aprilmay said:

I didn't think any fundies would be on this site. Im a Christian and Im still confused

You'd be absolutely wrong about that actually. I was still at the very least fundie lite when I started on fj, and a fairly decent portion of our members identify as Christians (they may even be the majority, but I am not certain of that), and I can think of a couple posters off the top of my head who self identify as fundie. One of them I still miss and hope she comes back someday.

There's no requirement to be atheist or anything of that nature here. The only requirement is you have to be able to defend your beliefs. I personally welcome fundies coming and engaging in honest dialog with us, because that's how both sides learn. I've made no secret of that fact that I think FJ helped make me better person by exposing me to people whose views I disagreed with, and it definitely helped me figure out that being fundie wasn't right for me.

4 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I've been here for a long time. I doubt I'm the only one. ;-)

I'm irrationally amused that this was your 666th post. For the record, you were one of the ones I thought of. :)

48 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I'm irrationally amused that this was your 666th post. For the record, you were one of the ones I thought of. :)

Ha! I totally missed that. 

a number of things said here about people I know are false and I try to keep that in mind when reading here about people that I don't know. 

I have to ask. Can you elaborate on this?

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I have to ask. Can you elaborate on this?

Well, not really. I mean, over the years I have corrected little things. (And I have pm'ed people to correct info.)  One of my closest is friends is talked about here occasionally, and I about go crazy wanting to defend. But. It would be pretty obvious who I am to others who could read here. I want to contribute more to other general discussions sometimes, but feel that I can't without leaving myself vulnerable to identification. Which I suppose is not the worst thing in world, but FJ is not exactly highly regarded among fundies. And the friends who know I read here don't really understand why I bother. 

So you're a well known Duggar friend? Do you ever take what we discuss back to them? Do they understand our opinions? 

Some fundies have actually engaged us. Ken Alexander is the first one that comes to mind. His stint here was epic.

4 minutes ago, Pasta said:

So you're a well known Duggar friend? Do you ever take what we discuss back to them? Do they understand our opinions? 

Um, no. I have no connection to the Duggars. We just happen to be in a Duggar thread. 

2 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Some fundies have actually engaged us. Ken Alexander is the first one that comes to mind. His stint here was epic.

From what I've read here with snippets from her blog, Ken and Lori are horrible. 

Have the discussions on things like gay rights and abortions made you think any about your views? 

27 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Gabe the husband of one of the Boyer sisters is the one I remember because it was most recent. 

29 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Have the discussions on things like gay rights and abortions made you think any about your views? 

Not exactly. My views in some of these areas have never perfectly lined up with all fundies (not that all fundie views line up perfectly anyway, as you know) anyway. My husband and I don't even perfectly line up in some areas.  So perhaps in some ways, discussions have helped me keep my views, if that makes sense. And in some ways, FJ has helped shape developing views, if that makes sense. I'm sorry, I'm horrible at explaining myself, particularly when trying to be vague. 

**rereading this, I can see it's a hot mess. Sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, Pasta said:

The Duggars are far from the only Fundies in the world.  More's the pity.

There are quite a few people here who are identify as Fundamentalist, Fundamentalist but not extreme, formerly Fundamentalist, Fundamentalist in Recovery, Fundie-lite, and so on.  They are often very helpful in correcting mistakes and assumptions that we make.  I appreciate them.

That is obviously not including the fucked-up, fired-up, furious Ken Alexander-types who come to yell at us, usually on Fridays.  That's why we have the expression "Fundie Friday."

Oh yes. I understand that. I was making an assumption based in the thread we're in. 

Either way, I'm glad that some fundies find this forum.  Maybe it'll spur questioning.  I know it's spurred questions inside myself. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Gabe the husband of one of the Boyer sisters is the one I remember because it was most recent. 

He's still logging in and lurking.  Gabe was comparatively polite, if rather too fond of mansplaining.  He is rather typical of someone with his background, belief system, and lack of education.  He certainly got his back-side handed to him by the ebil feminists though.  He's not as enlightened as he thinks.

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He's still logging in and lurking.  Gabe was comparatively polite, if rather too fond of mansplaining.  He is rather typical of someone with his background, belief system, and lack of education.  He certainly got his back-side handed to him by the ebil feminists though.  He's not as enlightened as he thinks.

I gave him credit for politeness until he busted into an abortion thread and pretty much called anyone who is pro-choice "disgusting" and insinuated we couldn't care about kids. 

And no, he is certainly not as enlightened as he thinks.

Just now, nausicaa said:

I gave him credit for politeness until he busted into an abortion thread and pretty much called anyone who is pro-choice "disgusting" and insinuated we couldn't care about kids. 

Yikes.  I may have missed that.  Little stinker.

Gabe's constant switching between being super eager for our approval and then super hostile was annoying, to say the least.

My opinion: Gabe only came here because he really wanted to sell us his kilts.  We were very nice about his tailoring skills.  I do appreciate that he apparently thought my yeti pelt sporran snark was funny but it all went downhill from there.  

His fault, not ours.

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Gabe's constant switching between being super eager for our approval and then super hostile was annoying, to say the least.

Gabe getting his ass handed to him in the March for Life thread was the best! :) 

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I have his (incorrect) use of the word abortifacient stuck in my head from that thread for some reason. That bothered me so much ... the inaccurate science/medicine almost more than all of his other assholery.

Sorrynotsorry for all the abortions my IUD must be causing, @Gabe:pb_rollseyes:

You all would probably consider me a fundie, but I have been reading here for years, like TWOP days. I often am able to learn how people feel almost directly from reading these threads. Like, you know, how it may be if we were all actually having a discussion. I am a "new member" since I just recently decided to step in and comment. I've been meaning to since I am also in a few facebook pages that are vaguely discussed here. I am also crazily intrigued by the Nauglers. Even as a fundie I find that stuff.....sad. Oh, and I do not know the Duggars. Just putting that out there.

19 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I often am able to learn how people feel almost directly from reading these threads. Like, you know, how it may be if we were all actually having a discussion.

Can you expand upon that - I don't know what you mean.

And welcome!  Post more often.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived