IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Life with the Soccer Preacher Man

choralcrusader8613

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Ho, @TeddyBonkers, 17 was normal for you.  I think a couple of my daughters started late when they were 15 or 16.  According to something I've read before, late menarche usually means early menopause.

I've heard that too, I also heard that  the earlier you start the later the menopause, and all I can say is NO FAIR it should be the opposite,  I started the month before my 11th birthday, average age for menopause is 51 so I'll be that poor sucker who has her period until she's 60. 50 years of that shit is too fing long! My daughter started just before her 14th birthday. I got a text from her one day  from school all it said was "it started" .Thankfully I made sure she was prepared and had supplies in her bag, she fought me on it but was grateful at that moment. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I've heard that too, I also heard that  the earlier you start the later the menopause, and all I can say is NO FAIR it should be the opposite,  I started the month before my 11th birthday, average age for menopause is 51 so I'll be that poor sucker who has her period until she's 60. 50 years of that shit is too fing long! My daughter started just before her 14th birthday. I got a text from her one day  from school all it said was "it started" .Thankfully I made sure she was prepared and had supplies in her bag, she fought me on it but was grateful at that moment. 

Yeah, I started the same month I turned 11.  I'm 43 now and so ready to be done.  It is absolutely unfair that us early starters can expect a later menopause!  Not fair! Not fair!!!!  

Loving the thread drift!

I have to add a word in favour of reusable cloth pads - eco-friendly, doesn't require you to shell out good money every month for something that's really no fun at all (and that is sometimes heavily taxed too, depending on where you live). I used to have really bad cramps and having something I made myself, that looks somewhat pretty, helped me reconnect to my body somehow and it doesn't hurt as much now. Weird, I know. Maybe something to look into if you have a teen who feels as utterly miserable as I used to. I made mine out of old cotton sheets (so old the fabric has become incredibly soft) and a variety of colourful prints leftover from other sewing projects.

I never got a sex talk. Or informed about my period or what to expect. I had a very Catholic mother who "didn't discuss" those things. I asked about sex once and got a slap across the face. I got my period around 11ish, IIRC... I freaked out because I woke up on a puddle of blood. My mother was still in bed and she just told me to "go get a pad and see what happens." See what happens? SOMETHING ELSE IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN? 

TBH, I was 17 before I figured out the logistics of sex, menstruation and everything in between.

I had never heard of Thinx panties. I'm having such a hard time believing they could really work, plus be comfortable and all. I'm shook. Maybe my daughter needs some but they sure are expensive.

8 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I had never heard of Thinx panties. I'm having such a hard time believing they could really work, plus be comfortable and all. I'm shook. Maybe my daughter needs some but they sure are expensive.

I'm contemplating getting some, bit I've also been wary because of the cost. It also seems like 90% of the articles promoting them are sponsored content, so I don't have a good read on how well they work, either.

11 hours ago, Karma said:

Lucky you didn't grow up in Australia.  Applicators are not a thing here.

That sounds uncomfortable, probably because I always used the applicator type. I tried a no applicator brand a few times (for convenience- they fit right into my back pocket). They felt dry and rough on insertion.

Nope.

We briefly mentioned sex talk with parents as well. This was mine with my dad, when I was 16 or 17.

*me, sitting alone in the family room watching tv, dad walks in*

dad: have you had sex?

me: no..... (truthfully)

dad: would you tell me if you were ready to start?

me: i don't know???? (truthfully, caught off guard)

*dad leaves room and never talks about it again*

I have been thinking some about JinJer and I know that we all remember Jeremy saying he liked her meek and servant-like personality.   

This is upsetting for obvious reasons, but it has nagged at me for some reason.  Honestly,  I do think Jeremy has sincere feelings for Jinger.  I am suspicious of his motives to initially get to know her, as I think he was interested in being attached to the Duggars for some reason.  But I think he did actually end up falling for her, for real. 

What I think or at least what I hope,  is that even though Jeremy may think he wants a meek and submissive wife,  over time, as Jinger  separates more from her family of origin, she will begin to change, and I am thinking that what he thought he wanted,  is not going to be what he realizes he truly loves.  I think that as Jinger matures, grows, etc.  she will become even more interesting to him, and I think that they will grow together. 

We all marry with expectations of what our partner is going to be to us, but time changes us.  The person we were at 23, is not he person we are at 30, 35, etc.  Life wears on us, like a stream changes the land around it.  Unless Jeremy exerts extreme control over Jinger, which I think/hope is unlikely,  Her evolution is inevitable, especially if they live away from the compound.  They will both be changing, growing, impacted by one another and the world they interact with.  Jeremy seems to still value his more 'worldly' friends and his own family of origin seem less rigid in how they live within their own fundamentalism.    We may not see these changes, especially if the future of the show is short, but I think  in 10 years,  Jinger will be very different from how she was in the cult.  I am not saying that she will become a feminist and Jeremy will become a hippie preaching love and tolerance, but just that there will be some erosion of gothardism and the patriarchy between them.   

9 minutes ago, calimojo said:

We may not see these changes, especially if the future of the show is short, but I think  in 10 years,  Jinger will be very different from how she was in the cult.  I am not saying that she will become a feminist and Jeremy will become a hippie preaching love and tolerance, but just that there will be some erosion of gothardism and the patriarchy between them.   

I really wonder how she has already changed with the "no visitors for 6 months" thing. It's kind of like going away to college-- although you're fundamentally the same person, you and all your friends still change during the first semester away from home. 

What I'm really interested in is how the Jessa/Jinger relationship changes in the future. 

On February 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM, DaniLouisiana said:

2. Saddest day of middle school for Kiddo was when he came home (7 grade) and told me that his friend from kindergarten was pregnant and he went and beat up the boy that got her pregnant and dumped her. The boy had 2-3 babies (with Babies!) by the end of that school year.

I hope someone called CPS on his awful parents.  I cannot imagine the amount of neglect going on for this to happen.  

Love the thread drift! I want to add that I wasn't able to use tampons as a virgin. They got stuck inside and it was painful to get them out. So only pads. After I had sex for the first time I was so so happy to finally get to use tampons [emoji3]

Bits and pieces as I catch up with this thread:

1. For some reason (cheaper? ) mom bought me a belt and pads to go with it in the early 80s, even though she was using adhesive pads by that point.  I think she wanted me to try both to see which I liked better.  Um, adhesive, duh.  There is really no advantage at all to belt-style. The whole pad can twist and end up used-side down if you aren't careful.  Ugh.

2. DD went to a small progressive middle school that had swimming 2x weekly for PE.  Girls were just expected to learn how to deal with tampons from the beginning.  I've never liked tampons and only use them when swimming and was kind of surprised that the school wasn't more sympathetic to 11 year old girls just starting their periods.  (They weren't hard-core immediately, but kind of expected a girl to figure it out within a month or 2).  Kind of the opposite of all these families who won't let their girls use tampons at all.

I really wonder how she has already changed with the "no visitors for 6 months" thing. It's kind of like going away to college-- although you're fundamentally the same person, you and all your friends still change during the first semester away from home. 
What I'm really interested in is how the Jessa/Jinger relationship changes in the future. 

No visitors for six months ? Where did that come from? Surely JB would not allow Jinger to live her own life for six whole months !

3 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

Thinx and reusable pads squick me out. I'm most comfortable changing my pad every few hours (as opposed to the maximum 8 hours) because I'm a heavy bleeder, and otherwise get hit in the face with the smell of necrotic blood every time I use the restroom. And the clots that must get caught by the fabric that stay there and get cold after I hike my knickers down to use the bathroom, and then pull them back up...eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww...

@FundamentallyShocked it may be the brand(s) of tampons they are using. Back before I had my mirena installed, I could only wear one brand of tampons. The others were all too long and/or felt really uncomfortable, so maybe see if you can find travel boxes of different brands and see if they make any difference. Also, some brands make teen tampons. They are a little smaller than the regular, but can be a lot more comfortable.

Also, as an aside, one of the last times I bought a box of tampons, the cashier said "that's the only kind I can use! They're the best!" Really really loudly :my_biggrin::my_biggrin: good thing I don't get embarrassed easily.

19 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

No visitors for six months ? Where did that come from? Surely JB would not allow Jinger to live her own life for six whole months !

What if, once the six months pass, Jinger re-enters the public eye with a visible baby bump? Maybe it's on purpose! Surprise!

34 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

In the wedding episode she was telling her family to give them six months alone before visiting Texas

Geez, I couldn't even get a junior tampon in until after pushing out a couple of babies! I only use them for swimming because I just don't like them all that much. I hate that feeling of having an inanimate object invading my body. 

49 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Thinx and reusable pads squick me out. I'm most comfortable changing my pad every few hours (as opposed to the maximum 8 hours) because I'm a heavy bleeder, and otherwise get hit in the face with the smell of necrotic blood every time I use the restroom. And the clots that must get caught by the fabric that stay there and get cold after I hike my knickers down to use the bathroom, and then pull them back up...eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww...

That's the only thing stopping me from getting Thinx- the lemon sized blood clots. The logistics of where those go is something I am not okay with thinking about.

In the wedding episode she was telling her family to give them six months alone before visiting Texas

Daaaaamn Jinger. But who will come keep you company and do chores for you !?

Also there's no way Dim Wit would listen.

7 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Also there's no way Dim Wit would listen.

Oh, I think he'd get a face full of Jeremy's Italian rage if he dared show up. From what I've seen, I think jeremy did what he had to do to get close to Jinger...but he doesn't think much of the boob. I also think that Jinger was looking forward to getting away from the zoo of the TTH

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived