IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Life with the Soccer Preacher Man

choralcrusader8613

Going back a few pages, I also recommend the Care and Keeping if You book! I grew up in a household with a single father and we justs didn't discuss anything of that nature - at all. A friend's mom got me the book one year and it was amazing. The friend's mom was also "the mom" that we would all go to with those kind of questions, she would explain anything puberty-related if you were curious.

And back to periods, if you guys aren't using a mentstrual cup, you're missing out! I kid, but really it is a game changer.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood why my high school didn't have feminine hygiene dispensers in the girls' bathrooms.  We'd have to go to the gym teacher for a pad if we needed one.  I don't think she had tampons.

In about 4th grade we girls were called out of class to go to the auditorium to watch a Disney film about getting our periods.  I decided to post it because the King of the Hill where Connie get her first period and Hank has to help her get supplies is no longer available.

The best thing about my periods? I was DONE at 27 when I had a hysterectomy! I have enjoyed 25+ years of joyful, period-free, infertile life. 

We got a really dorky film called, "Susan has a brother". Since a friend's older sister had given us " Lady Chatterley's Lover ", with all the interesting things marked, we were not impressed.

5 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

snipped

I use applicator free cause most organic ones come like that. But for a virgin I can't imagine!! Also the pregnancy game is too much, sounds traumatizing! LOL!! At least you were educated. My parents told us kids that after you get married, God just randomly strikes you pregnant from time to time! LMAO

Lucky you didn't grow up in Australia.  Applicators are not a thing here.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I never understood why my high school didn't have feminine hygiene dispensers in the girls' bathrooms.  We'd have to go to the gym teacher for a pad if we needed one.  I don't think she had tampons.

In about 4th grade we girls were called out of class to go to the auditorium to watch a Disney film about getting our periods.  I decided to post it because the King of the Hill where Connie get her first period and Hank has to help her get supplies is no longer available.

Omg, "Aisle 8A." One of the best episodes ever. Hank buddling Connie up in blankets to rush her to the ER!

44 minutes ago, Karma said:

Lucky you didn't grow up in Australia.  Applicators are not a thing here.

They're not? That must have changed because I used them when I was a teen - admittedly that was - gasp! - 20+ years ago.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

They're not? That must have changed because I used them when I was a teen - admittedly that was - gasp! - 20+ years ago.

I stand corrected!  I used tampons from about 1980 till 6 years ago (thankyou mirena) and have bought them for my daughter for the last five or more years.  I have never noticed them at the supermarket, but I just looked at the Coles website and 5 of 36 tampon products have applicators!

Any of you younger jingerites having terribly painful periods, the mirena is now more used for younger women than in the past.  Apparently the cause of most infections was the string and this has now been changed.  My daughter is 20 and had one inserted last week (under a light general anaesthetic).  She can't take the pill or have an implant because of a tumour on her pituitary gland which affects her hormones, and she wasn't willing to trust barrier methods only.  Hopefully we will be a tampon free house before too long!

I got my first period at 13, in the days of giant pads and belts - and plastic pants! Wore them for one month, then discovered tampons - which I later taught my 11 years older, mother of two, sister to use. My mother hadn't told me anything, the only sex ed at my Catholic Convent school was on the lines of 'if you want to know how long it takes a baby to be born,count from the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25th) to Christmas Day'.

All my sex ed was from conversaions with better informed friends.

I am going to be 51 this summer and am still getting my period, just not every month.  Some months I am real lucky and get 2 of them. I will be glad when it is over.

I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss a  partial hysterectomy. (Leaving in the ovaries for hormones, taking out the uterus because no more babies for me). I'm lucky to have a very compassionate doc who respects my choices.

5 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Omg, "Aisle 8A." One of the best episodes ever. Hank buddling Connie up in blankets to rush her to the ER!

That was such a funny episode!!  

8 hours ago, Kimichaels147 said:

I work at a grocery store and I have women come in who insist on having their hygiene products put in a paper bag. Or they will have us put them in a separate bag so they can keep them out of their husband's sight. I had a woman the other day say that "husbands shouldn't be bothered with our messes." 

Thank you NE Texas for never failing to be bass ackwards. 

I've heard that a lot here in Northern Ireland- I don't get it. 

The other half goes and buys me pads when I need them and can't get them myself. Never caused him any harm 

9 hours ago, Kimichaels147 said:

Thank you NE Texas for never failing to be bass ackwards. 

Thank you @Kimichaels147 that is SO true! I got a flash of myself about a hundred years ago, and those brown paper bags, with the godawful pads and belts in them...been there, and ran far, far away just as soon as I could manage :D

My husband is an EMT, feminine hygiene products don't phase him at all. I had a hysterectomy a few years before I met him,, but he would buy me a pack of pads if I asked.

My husband buys pads and tampons for me if I need him to.

One moment sticks out when I was having my first miscarriage, I ran out of the heavy duty maternity pads and he had to go and get some more. At the check out the lady at the register says "aww! Your wife had a baby?"
He scowled, paid for the items and left.

I hate it when people working at the register comment on your purchases. One time the guy grabbed this pack of chicken breakfast sausages and said in a disdainful tone, "They're making chicken sausages now?" I was like, "No. They're not." Really? Another time I was buying Weight Watchers brand hamburger buns (I liked them because they were smaller). The lady working cash grabbed them, stared at me, and said, "These are [whatever price] - did you know that? Because they're Weight Watchers." What the actual eff, lady? Yes, I have eyes. I put them on the conveyor. Please just scan them and let me pay so I can go home. Another time my mum and I were buying Pepto Bismal and Tums, because we were restocking the medicine chest. The girl working cash was like, "Wow, everyone's got this stomach bug right now!"

I don't know. I used to work retail and I never would've commented on someone's purchases, unless it was to compliment them or try to sell them something to go with it, lol.

I've relished reading all of the "first period" stories! What a wealth of info. I never knew about belts and rags. I've always said that antibiotics and BC pills have changed life more than anything else. I'll add modern pads and tampons to that list now!!!!

Multiple Shocklings are girls (hey, I was fruitful and multiplied). I may need to consider cups for them. Tampons have been a major bust here. Too large. Do they make teen-sized cups?

5 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

I've relished reading all of the "first period" stories! What a wealth of info. I never knew about belts and rags. I've always said that antibiotics and BC pills have changed life more than anything else. I'll add modern pads and tampons to that list now!!!!

Multiple Shocklings are girls (hey, I was fruitful and multiplied). I may need to consider cups for them. Tampons have been a major bust here. Too large. Do they make teen-sized cups?

I vote we add clumping cat litter to that list ^_^ sure do wish they'd had those cups when I needed such a thing, I'd have been first in line.

Most cups I've heard or read about(the Diva Cup is the only one I've actually found in physical stores) have 2 sizes. Typically the smaller size is for teens/first-time-users/women who haven't given birth. And the larger is for women who have given birth/are older. Size 1 has worked for me, though.(I've never given birth and been sexually inactive since my hubby's death) But with that, your daughters will need to really get to know their bodies. YouTube Precious Star Pads; this young lady is very helpful with talking anyone through using cups.

14 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

I definitely wouldn't recommend a cup at this point if they can't do tampons. The cup also has other drawbacks for teen girls, like the steep learning curve, and the fact that you have to empty it and clean it - that might be an issue at school, for example, unless they have light periods and can wait till they get home. Is there a reason they can't use pads?

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I definitely wouldn't recommend a cup at this point if they can't do tampons. The cup also has other drawbacks for teen girls, like the steep learning curve, and the fact that you have to empty it and clean it - that might be an issue at school, for example, unless they have light periods and can wait till they get home. Is there a reason they can't use pads?

No reason. They use pads cheerfully and tampons reluctantly when swimming. I just wondered if a cup was a more modern way for them to go. I don't want them to be venting on FJ in 20 years saying, "My mom made me wear adhesive pads because she didn't even know about 21st century feminine hygiene products." :my_biggrin:

As far as tampons go, let's just say that I've been called in to rescue stuck, improperly places, and placed with applicator still in there tampons. The female Shocklings are pretty open with me about this stuff. I didn't want to fail them, though, and show my age.

7 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

No reason. They use pads cheerfully and tampons reluctantly when swimming. I just wondered if a cup was a more modern way for them to go. I don't want them to be venting on FJ in 20 years saying, "My mom made me wear adhesive pads because she didn't even know about 21st century feminine hygiene products." :my_biggrin:

As far as tampons go, let's just say that I've been called in to rescue stuck, improperly places, and placed with applicator still in there tampons. The female Shocklings are pretty open with me about this stuff. I didn't want to fail them, though, and show my age.

I'm a millennial and I've used pads pretty much exclusively my entire life, and I've never had an issue. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;) Definitely tell them about their various options, though! It's so awesome that they're open with you and that you're open with them. That's the most important thing. They'll probably just naturally gravitate toward whatever they're more comfortable with, and that may change over time.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I hate it when people working at the register comment on your purchases. One time the guy grabbed this pack of chicken breakfast sausages and said in a disdainful tone, "They're making chicken sausages now?" I was like, "No. They're not." Really? Another time I was buying Weight Watchers brand hamburger buns (I liked them because they were smaller). The lady working cash grabbed them, stared at me, and said, "These are [whatever price] - did you know that? Because they're Weight Watchers." What the actual eff, lady? Yes, I have eyes. I put them on the conveyor. Please just scan them and let me pay so I can go home. Another time my mum and I were buying Pepto Bismal and Tums, because we were restocking the medicine chest. The girl working cash was like, "Wow, everyone's got this stomach bug right now!"

I don't know. I used to work retail and I never would've commented on someone's purchases, unless it was to compliment them or try to sell them something to go with it, lol.

I think the stores tell them to do that. They don't really give a shit so they just say something. Our local grocery store does it everytime you shop there. I'm like holy STFU. 

I started my period at 9. It has been awful. Most of my life I've used pads which I hate but I can always feel tampons inside so I only use them to swim. I now exclusively use Thinx period panties. Expensive but worth every penny.

There was, back in the late 60s, a menstrual cup called the Tassaway.  It was disposable, though. and only was on the shelves for a few years.  I never tried the product.

There was a Q&A  at the end of our school's presentation of The Story of Menstruation.  I asked the nurses or whoever about tampons.  I was such a smarty pants.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived