IGNORED

The book what Lori wrote: The Power of a Transformed Wife Pt2

Ha and indeed it looks like it is gone now!! 

She also deleted a comment on today's a post. A woman provided about 20 bible verses of other ways to have a good marriage. She brought up the verse that a man needs to love a wife. Lori responded saying she didn't include that because she teaches women. All gone now! 

It still helpful to include that verse even if you don't teach men because women need to know that their husbands are too love them. If they don't get exposed to that verse they can accept crappy, unloving behavior and think that is normal, that husband isn't suppose to love, she is just suppose to submit, submit, sumit. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Ha and indeed it looks like it is gone now!! 

I still see it on Facebook. Here's the whole thing.

lalex spiritual.JPG

@Emilycharlotte, different branches do have different standards.  

@Imrlgoddess is right though - you don't have to be a super woman or an athlete to make it through.  You have to just not give up, which is harder than people think.  I was also pretty soft when I went to Army BCT.

As for sympathy for Lori - she made her bed, and she wants everyone else to lie in one just like it.

3 hours ago, desertvixen said:

As for sympathy for Lori - she made her bed, and she wants everyone else to lie in one just like it.

I know, I know. I often suffer bouts of ill-advised sympathy. It will pass. 

A "soft and teachable heart" does not beat in Lori's thoracic cavity.  Pure venom, jealousy, and pride do.  And a plunging neckline covers (or doesn't) the whole shebang.

Lori is a miserable human being. She got what she wanted, A "man" to "take care of her" so she wouldn't have to do anything for herself. She had children because it was expected of her. Now, the kids are grown and gone and she's left with a miserable marriage. She hates herself, hates her life and probably hates her husband too. 

But...that's the life she chose for herself so I do not extend one iota of sympathy or empathy to her whatsoever. She's a lot like my mother was, probably clinically depressed, bitter and ugly inside and out. 

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Talking About Your Financial Health

(note: I have a strong suspicion that this chapter was "helped written by Ken.")

This chapter is fairly straight forward and really does not veer far from most financial advice I've read/heard from any source, conservative Christian or otherwise.

Lori comes close to showing empathy in this chapter when she assures her readers that if they are struggling financially, she and Ken have been there.  Of course, she writes that being a stay-at-home mother is very helpful to the household as far as saving money because  she "can save a family all kinds of money, starting with having time to shop for the best deals on clothes, shoes, and groceries.  She saves money by doing the house cleaning (no need to hire a maid service), as well as cooking healthy, delicious meals that are a fraction of what it costs to eat out.  I've told young moms to look at the kitchen as a profit center."

In the section entitled "Dealing with Debt," Lori advises her readers to make their own cleaning supplies, shop on Craigslist, yard sales and second hand stores.  Also, visiting local farmers' markets is a great way to save money.  (Of course, much of the country has farmers' markets available to them about three months out of the year, but she does not address an alternative for those of us who actually have winter.)

She reminds us that saving money at home might also allow us to have extra with which we can help missionaries or support a church cause.

Regarding credit card use, Lori encourages her readers to pay off their credit card each month.  For those in debt, she lists three things to begin the journey to being debt free:

1) Determine what it is you actually owe. 

2) Take a credit card holiday.  Along with this, reduce the number of credit cards you actually carry.  One card, for emergency use, is usually sufficient for most households. 

3) Start this month to pay off the lowest cards first. 

Lori ends this chapter with a comment from a blog post. Lori will call the commenter "Carla," and Carla has some pretty extreme ways of saving money including ripping up all the carpet from their house so they would not have to use electricity to vacuum.  The most interesting part of "Carla's" comment is this "I work at our local YMCA to get a free family membership."

Next time: Chapter 15 - The Disciplined Mind: Trusting God and Doing Good. 

On 11/21/2016 at 11:19 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

Yes you can. You have to go into your amazon settings. You can even change the name displayed. I removed the town I am from and the books I have reviewed right after I submitted my verified purchase review of her book. I had someone here try and find my identity in real life and s/he couldn't. *

*I asked some in a PM to do it and they verified what I thought,  they couldn't find me based on just my review name. 

*shrug* If I decided to read the book, I'd probably change my Amazon profile to have my real name on it. Because compared to the Scientologists, Lori is "sound and fury, signifying nothing."

So wait, you are allowed to work then if you get free deals, like memberships? But doesn't working then mean your house will be dirty and have to spend money on maid, etc. Its so confusing!

The financial chapter seemed like it leaned pretty heavily on Dave Ramsey, and was okay until the "frugal hints" part (Carla had some pretty extreme ideas IMO).

4 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

So wait, you are allowed to work then if you get free deals, like memberships? But doesn't working then mean your house will be dirty and have to spend money on maid, etc. Its so confusing!

Exactly. "Carla" is allowed to break the rules because she has outdone everyone with her frugality. But, shouldn't she be able to quit her job since she's saving so much money everywhere else?  Do they REALLY need a membership at the Y?  And who watches her children while she works???  

42 minutes ago, desertvixen said:

The financial chapter seemed like it leaned pretty heavily on Dave Ramsey, and was okay until the "frugal hints" part (Carla had some pretty extreme ideas IMO).

I found myself wondering if Carla was real. I wonder if Lori got trolled with that comment and now it's published in this book where TENS of readers will read the foolishness. I also think it's so convenient that Carla's husband got to buy a new motorcycle "for the better gas mileage."  Oh, okay Carla; it's because of the mileage and not because your headship wanted a new toy. 

14 hours ago, usmcmom said:

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Talking About Your Financial Health

(note: I have a strong suspicion that this chapter was "helped written by Ken.")

This chapter is fairly straight forward and really does not veer far from most financial advice I've read/heard from any source, conservative Christian or otherwise.

Lori comes close to showing empathy in this chapter when she assures her readers that if they are struggling financially, she and Ken have been there.  Of course, she writes that being a stay-at-home mother is very helpful to the household as far as saving money because  she "can save a family all kinds of money, starting with having time to shop for the best deals on clothes, shoes, and groceries.  She saves money by doing the house cleaning (no need to hire a maid service), as well as cooking healthy, delicious meals that are a fraction of what it costs to eat out.  I've told young moms to look at the kitchen as a profit center."

In the section entitled "Dealing with Debt," Lori advises her readers to make their own cleaning supplies, shop on Craigslist, yard sales and second hand stores.  Also, visiting local farmers' markets is a great way to save money.  (Of course, much of the country has farmers' markets available to them about three months out of the year, but she does not address an alternative for those of us who actually have winter.)

<snipped for space>

Not in any town I've ever lived in it's not, at least not these days. My parents tell me the local farmers' market used to be inexpensive, because it was where farmers would sell off their leftover and excess produce. These days, however, they've realised that with the whole localvore trend people are willing to pay a lot more for food bought straight from a local farmer, and they've capitalised on that. What's the betting Lori started visiting a farmers' market thirty years ago because it was cheaper then, and she hasn't  bothered to check if that still holds true today?

For another, farmers' markets are filled with local artisanal food and drink: boutique teas, homemade mead, fresh samosas, summer sausage, crunchy bread, artisanal cheese, tangy chutney, you get the picture. Sure, you don't need to buy any of those things, but it offers far more temptation than the local grocery store. I don't go into the local grocery store for some seasonal veg and find myself walking out with a boule of tiger bread, three different cheeses, two chutneys, and some apple wine to round it off.

5 hours ago, alba said:

Not in any town I've ever lived in it's not, at least not these days. My parents tell me the local farmers' market used to be inexpensive, because it was where farmers would sell off their leftover and excess produce. These days, however, they've realised that with the whole localvore trend people are willing to pay a lot more for food bought straight from a local farmer, and they've capitalised on that. What's the betting Lori started visiting a farmers' market thirty years ago because it was cheaper then, and she hasn't  bothered to check if that still holds true today?

For another, farmers' markets are filled with local artisanal food and drink: boutique teas, homemade mead, fresh samosas, summer sausage, crunchy bread, artisanal cheese, tangy chutney, you get the picture. Sure, you don't need to buy any of those things, but it offers far more temptation than the local grocery store. I don't go into the local grocery store for some seasonal veg and find myself walking out with a boule of tiger bread, three different cheeses, two chutneys, and some apple wine to round it off.

Totally agree. 

We had a small farmer's market in my little town that had people selling cheap produce. Then it got over run with people from outside the area coming in with custom tents and fancy banners and expensive displays selling all the stuff you mention. And then the craft people came. So the organizers jacked up the price for spaces and the old farmers who sold cheap produce in reused grocery bags stopped selling. So it was all baked goods and crafts. 

And now we don't even have a farmer's market at all. 

The last time I was at the farmer's market in the second largest city in this state, it took me 20 minutes to locate a stand actually selling produce--and there were only three of them at a market that filled about five city blocks. It is a festival of pre-made food and jewelry and crafts that has nothing to do with farms or farmers anymore. 

I have to say, we're spoiled rotten with an actual farmer's market that has two brick-and-mortar locations that are open year-round (one within walking distance of my home). They have a website so that you can order online, and they make deliveries once a week. They're almost more like a tiny grocery. But they have the BEST and biggest eggs in town (locally produced) and decent produce. Real honey from an apiary located right in the city. And if you want personal service, that's definitely where you go. But it's not necessarily cheap. It's not super expensive, but it's not as cheap as a discount grocer, either. And no foofie crafts or jewelry clogging up the works: They sell only produce, locally produced sausages/butter/bread, etc. and some snack-type things. Flowers/plants in the spring/summer and Christmas trees/firewood in the winter.

**I'm a HUGE fan of our farmer's market, but I also know it's one of a kind. And Lori is a privileged princess who has no clue what most people's lives are like. 

CHAPTER 15 - The Disciplined Mind:  Trusting God and Doing Good

Lori writes about her health issues from which she has suffered for the past twenty-five years.  She believes "the reason I have not fallen into major depression is because I have disciplined my mind."  Despite this physical pain Lori is able to continue doing good.  How?  Because the Lord has given her the gift of teaching and has allowed her "to minister to millions of women around the world through my blog - and I never have to leave my home."

One way to discipline our mind and focus on only good, according to Lori, is to stop watching the news.  "I don't believe we were created to be able to handle all of this devastation and bad news. There's not much we can do about it anyway except to pray." Instead of listening to or watching the news, women should focus on their husbands, their children and their homes.

In this chapter, Lori reminds us that she believes we do NOT need to ask God for forgiveness each time we sin.  If we get bogged down in our sins, remember, those were forgiven long ago and we are to take comfort in knowing that we no longer have to seek forgiveness.  She encourages us to be anxious for nothing and to go out and do good:

"Even if you're on a sick bed of suffering, you can do good.  You can pray.  You can be kind to those around you.  You can preach Jesus by the way you live your life through the pain.  This will speak volumes to others about the One who lives within you." 

Lori reminds us that we can depend on our husbands to help us keep our minds disciplined and to always be thinking positive thoughts.  He can hold us accountable: "A husband has the best view of who you really are and can help you find the lies planted in the garden of your mind."

Mothers, in turn, are to do the same with their children.  When raising and disciplining children, mothers should "work on their thinking more so than their behavior.  Remember, all actions stem from either good thoughts or bad thoughts. Bad thoughts and lies are what push children toward destructive behaviors." 

We are reminded that there must be ONE leader in the home because "A house united stands, while a house divided falls.  A house with one person in authority is strong, while a house with two heads destroys itself."  Since God is a God of peace, we are to pursue peace with everyone.

"We should be known for being peacemakers..."

Lori does NOT end this chapter with a post from her blog.  She concedes that this chapter likely comes across as a mini sermon but that is because it is necessary for all women to hear this message. 

Next up: Chapter 16 - Clutter No More

On 12/6/2016 at 0:28 PM, usmcmom said:

In this chapter, Lori reminds us that she believes we do NOT need to ask God for forgiveness each time we sin.  If we get bogged down in our sins, remember, those were forgiven long ago and we are to take comfort in knowing that we no longer have to seek forgiveness.

So Lori can continue being a hateful, wicked woman because she was forgiven long ago.

We were taught that sins separate us from God and damage our relationship with Him and other people. Sort of like bickering and bitching at a partner destroys that relationship. I'm starting to see a lot of Lori's issues here. She thinks that she can fart around through life doing whatever she wants and everyone else needs to just get over it because "it's all in the past anyway." And then when someone is hurt, it's all their fault.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Clutter No More

This chapter is approximately seven pages long and four of those pages are an excerpt from a book by Erin Harrison - Living Virtuously: Keeping Your Heart and Home.

In this chapter neither Emily nor Lori actually give suggestions on HOW to clean well, such as setting up a schedule, what cleaning supplies are best or even small tips like keeping a cleaning bucket full of supplies on each floor of the house (that's my tip;  y'all can have it.)

This chapter is basically an opportunity for Lori (and Emily) to insult those women who do not keep house to the standards they think are appropriate.  Emily talks about taking her kids to play dates and finding the houses so dirty she was just terrified of setting her children on the floor.  Now she did NOT want to make her hostess feel badly but she's just sure her disgust showed on her face.  Emily talks a lot about cleaning toilets, then goes on to remind us of the importance of a clean kitchen. She also insists that there is NO EXCUSE for not having a spotless home.  Further, she simply cannot comprehend the mindset of a woman who is not absolutely driven crazy by clutter. 

For more of Emily's wisdom, check out her blog at www.keeperofthehomestead.blogspot.com/blog.

Lori makes an appearance in this chapter just long enough to drop Emily's blog address and to tell us that occasionally she watches "Hoarders" (just every now and then, though) and these hoarders, mostly women, just make her so sad.  She tells us that we certainly don't need as many clothes as most people have, then she actually writes that "I rarely even notice what someone wears and, if I do, those clothes don't make that friend."

Lori ends this chapter with a post from her blog and talks about the scripture that reminds us not to store up our treasures on earth. That's why she doesn't get sentimental about buying or collecting things.

Seriously, you guys. I am embarrassed abut summarizing this chapter.  I read it and was all like "What am I supposed to do with THIS?"

7 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Seriously, you guys. I am embarrassed abut summarizing this chapter.  I read it and was all like "What am I supposed to do with THIS?"

Well you have two options. You can get off the couch, bury your smart phone and get cleaning. Then, when your house is spotless as it should be, you give Lori the glory for transforming you.

Or, you can buy a big bag of crisps, order a pizza, binge watch friends, fall asleep in front of the TV, wake up the next morning with your head in a pizza box and conclude you can never be as fantastic as Lori.

Or, well, you can just ignore all that crap and enjoy your life. Ofcourse after you finish your review for us.... You don't want us to be left out on an opportunity of feeling guilty?

• 2 weeks later...

"I rarely even notice what someone wears and, if I do, those clothes don't make that friend."

Except if they are wearing yoga pants, or a thong, or a bikini, or a shirt with a plunging neckline..... 

On 12/14/2016 at 4:06 PM, usmcmom said:

Lori makes an appearance in this chapter just long enough to drop Emily's blog address and to tell us that occasionally she watches "Hoarders" (just every now and then, though) and these hoarders, mostly women, just make her so sad.  She tells us that we certainly don't need as many clothes as most people have, then she actually writes that "I rarely even notice what someone wears and, if I do, those clothes don't make that friend."

Lori doesn't notice what clothes people wear? Well, then, why on earth is she constantly ranting about thongs and yoga pants? 

7 minutes ago, polecat said:

Lori doesn't notice what clothes people wear? Well, then, why on earth is she constantly ranting about thongs and yoga pants? 

Thank you.  She's made post, after post, after post about what people wear.  Because Ken.

On 12/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, usmcmom said:

CHAPTER 15 - The Disciplined Mind:  Trusting God and Doing Good

Lori writes about her health issues from which she has suffered for the past twenty-five years.  She believes "the reason I have not fallen into major depression is because I have disciplined my mind."  Despite this physical pain Lori is able to continue doing good.  How?  Because the Lord has given her the gift of teaching and has allowed her "to minister to millions of women around the world through my blog - and I never have to leave my home."

I'd just like to remind readers that major depression is an illness that is treated by medication and therapy, and not gotten rid of by disciplining one's mind. That's so much hokey bullshit and I'm afraid some woman/women is going to be misled into thinking all she has to do is think herself well rather than getting the professional attention she needs. To put it bluntly:  it wasn't until I started taking those evil psych drugz that I had the ability to discipline my mind, Lori.  Grrrrrrr.

On 12/14/2016 at 4:06 PM, usmcmom said:

For more of Emily's wisdom, check out her blog at www.keeperofthehomestead.blogspot.com/blog.

Oh holy heck, this blog is full of all kinds of special fundy weirdness.

The correct link: http://www.keeperofthehomestead.com/

Part 5 of "her story" is particularly ... coked out.

But all of it is just beyond description ... In parts two and three, her fiance denies to his family that he ever proposed to her, and then he tells her that SHE is the crazy one. 

Archived