IGNORED

The book what Lori wrote: The Power of a Transformed Wife Pt2

5 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Aww, relax, nobody says you have to actually read Lori's book, just leave a "verified purchase" comment.

I'm thinking about it--but I have an important question. Does Amazon allow a verified purchaser to use a hide her identity from the author? If not, she would know who I am. I won't risk that.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

You have never taught in Christian school. 

That mindset was pretty common at the one I taught at. A lot of senior girls would not really plan for a major because they assumed they would drop out after a year or two once they were engaged or married. The kids from families that valued actual education referred to the most popular Christian college for graduating seniors as "marriage u" and wouldn't even consider it. 

No, you're right, I didn't teach at a Christian high school, and I didn't send my kids to Christian high school, although they did go to both a Baptist and a Catholic elementary school through 8th grade. The Catholic high school tuition was as much as college tuition, though, and since we weren't planning on sending our kids to college to find spouses but to get an education, we decided to save our money and send them to public high school instead.

I guess there is something to the Mrs degree, though, now that I think about it a bit more--almost all of my daughter's friends from grade school and church youth group are married with children now, whether they finished college or not. As well, she went to a very conservative Catholic college (her choice!), and I think of all the  young women in her group of friends there, she's the only one who is still unmarried at 25. But whether all these marriages are down to parental pressure, peer pressure, church/religious pressure, or they all just happened to get married because it was exactly the right time for them to get married, I have no idea. 

21 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

First of all, since Lori speaks for God I think she should more clearly define "older" woman.  What age does one become an older woman  --  48? 50? 52? 57?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori:

I began when I was 45 years old since no older women were teaching this to younger women.

2 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori:

I began when I was 45 years old since no older women were teaching this to younger women.

I love how she tries to sound so noble: "I looked around and realized that there was a need for this online since no one was doing it. I stepped forward to fill the gap." The truth was more like this: "I like to judge others and point out how they're worse than I am. I realized that a blog would allow me to do it to even more people. And maybe I'll go viral someday."

But what about women who had their children very young, say between 16 and 20, and became grandmothers while still in their 30s? They've finished raising their kids, so shouldn't they now be qualified to teach Titus 2? I don't recall seeing a specific cut-off age in the Bible, God doesn't say 'you have to be at least 45."

Oh, wait. I forgot, silly me. LORI speaks for God when He doesn't speak.  If Lori says 45, then God says 45. :my_rolleyes:

Yes, she also added the restriction that they should be keepers at home themselves:

3 minutes ago, Loveday said:

But what about women who had their children very young, say between 16 and 20, and became grandmothers while still in their 30s? They've finished raising their kids, so shouldn't they now be qualified to teach Titus 2? I don't recall seeing a specific cut-off age in the Bible, God doesn't say 'you have to be at least 45."

Oh, wait. I forgot, silly me. LORI speaks for God when He doesn't speak.  If Lori says 45, then God says 45. :my_rolleyes:

Lori:

From Scripture, it seems to be those women who have raised their children and no longer have them in the home. Ideally, they've been married a long time so they have good marriage advice. I also believe they should have been keepers at home so they can teach the younger women to be keepers at home and what all this involves. I get this from these verses in 1 Timothy 5, "A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old, having been the wife of one man, having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the [c]saints’ feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work." Now, this was for a widow and how to provide for her but it seems relevant that an older women should be close to these things in order to teach younger women. It's beneficial if they are very experienced in what they are teaching the younger women.

See how she stuck that in there?  One minute she was talking about what scripture says, and then she immediately switched to what she believes (working older women need not apply). Again, she's making her own law.

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Oh yeah, that book she spent so much to write?  It has 7 verified purchases (3 of which are 1 star), so writing that was a great investment.  Not like you can get your message out to the world for free.  I don't know...maybe from something like a blog??

You mean women don't want to pay money to hear how everything is their fault?

Lori:

Many of these younger women who blog, even those who aren’t teaching Titus 2:4, 5, write books and leave their homes for book signings and conferences. I just finished writing a book. This book took hours, days, and many months to finish, plus a lot of money. I couldn’t imagine trying to do this and write for a blog while raising children let alone travel, do conferences, and all that they do. I am sure it is the husband who is neglected in all of this. 

I am wondering if that is a jab at The Peaceful Wife (April Cassidy). April still has kids at home, has a book and has started hosting conference. Even if it isn't, I know Lori comments there and I wonder if Lori shames her to stop all this until her children are grown.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I am wondering if that is a jab at The Peaceful Wife (April Cassidy). April still has kids at home, has a book and has started hosting conference. Even if it isn't, I know Lori comments there and I wonder if Lori shames her to stop all this until her children are grown.

That was the one I was thinking of, too. April encourages many of the same things that Lori does, only she does it gently, with compassion and love. I don't agree with everything she says, but I never come away feeling offended. (Even on those rare occasions when I agree with Lori, I feel offended.)

I've wondered if Lori is getting some feedback from her readers that she should try a gentler approach, with comparisons to April and how she writes. Because Lori is incapable of compassion herself, she responds this way. I think it's interesting that for once she doesn't name names so we can go shame the younger blogger(s) ourselves.

That was the one I was thinking of, too. April encourages many of the same things that Lori does, only she does it gently, with compassion and love. I don't agree with everything she says, but I never come away feeling offended. (Even on those rare occasions when I agree with Lori, I feel offended.)
I've wondered if Lori is getting some feedback from her readers that she should try a gentler approach, with comparisons to April and how she writes. Because Lori is incapable of compassion herself, she responds this way. I think it's interesting that for once she doesn't name names so we can go shame the younger blogger(s) ourselves.

Probably worried her readers will defect.

I remember once Lori asked is she could share one of April's posts.  After April said yes, Lori came back and said she'd need to change it before she shared it.  April's readers pretty much let Lori have it.

Lori:

Good Morning, April! Do you mind if I reblog this on my blog since I get a lot of the same accusations? You worded it so perfectly that I don’t think i could improve on it! I will give you all the credit, of course!

After April gave permission, Lori came back with the following:

After thinking about it, I may have to change it up a bit.

April's readers:

Lori, please do not change April’s post in any way. She has a gentleness that not many have, she does not come across as lecturing or scolding, this is important! God’s love is felt strongly in her post.

Lori,

I think what April has written here is golden.

Lori frequently takes to April's comments to correct/scold her readers.  I think she realizes that April's way of putting things is much more well received, and she can't stand it.  Solution? Convince her that she has no business blogging.  I am sure Lori would be happy to mentor April's readers! :roll:

Good point. The difference in April's book reviews says it all. Since they both say a lot of the same things, why isn't April getting the negative reviews? Its NOT that the people hate the Lord and the Lord's way, its they hate Lori's ways (funny how similar Lord and Lori are in spelling). If people hated the Lord's ways, they would be ganging up on April do, but they just don't. 

2 hours ago, alba said:

Not necessarily. That assumes she actually bought a package through a company. She could have used a print-on-demand service like CreateSpace for her paperbacks and hired a freelance editor who, from the sounds of things, isn't commanding high rates.

Agreed. Buying a publishing "package" is more vanity publishing than self-publishing. In self-publishing, you *can* hire out specific elements (like cover design and editing), if you want, and that *can* get pricey, but doesn't necessarily have to.

Shelia is another successful Christian blogger.  Her books have been a lot more successful than Lori's, and she has a larger, more receptive audience.  Lori used to go after her posts and readers too, but I think she was put in her place pretty quickly.

3 hours ago, molecule said:

I'm thinking about it--but I have an important question. Does Amazon allow a verified purchaser to use a hide her identity from the author? If not, she would know who I am. I won't risk that.

Yes you can. You have to go into your amazon settings. You can even change the name displayed. I removed the town I am from and the books I have reviewed right after I submitted my verified purchase review of her book. I had someone here try and find my identity in real life and s/he couldn't. *

*I asked some in a PM to do it and they verified what I thought,  they couldn't find me based on just my review name. 

13 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Yes you can. You have to go into your amazon settings. You can even change the name displayed. I removed the town I am from and the books I have reviewed right after I submitted my verified purchase review of her book. I had someone here try and find my identity in real life and s/he couldn't. *

Good to know! If I decide to review it, I will actually read it first. 

I'd been meaning to add this since she changed her blog title and began pushing her book.  Her new website is almost identical to another with the same title:  Lori's is "THE transformed wife"...the other lady is just "transformed wife".  If you Google it will typically bring up the other lady first.  

google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=transformed wife

http://www.transformedwife.com/

The subject matter is similar but with a vastly different story.  She's far younger than Lori, childless, and has (IMHO) a far more relatable story.  I wonder if Lori or Ken have read through this blog and how they feel about it.  

3 hours ago, Koala said:

I get this from these verses in 1 Timothy 5, "A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old

I guess I'm out since I was widowed at 38.(Of course, I also worked outside the home and chose not to have kids for financial/medical reasons.  Guess I didn't trust the Lord enough...:playful2:)

Emily says:

November 21, 2016 at 10:33 am

Do this think that Michelle Duggar is wrong to be giving speeches, writing books etc since she still has many young children at home? I’m not sure about this as she has raised several of her children but she is still spending much of her time not with her children and in her home.

Lori Alexander says:

November 21, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I am not going to be the one to judge anyone in particular, Emily, since I have no idea how much time they are taking away from being with their family to teach other women. Only they know this but I have written what I believe the Lord meant when the Apostle Paul wrote these words.

In saying this, I don’t believe Michelle spends much time away from her family at all. She isn’t on Facebook, doesn’t have a blog, or on any of those other things that can be time wasters if not used wisely. She does have grown children, has a lot of wisdom and experience, and has been married a long time, but I imagine most of her time is spent with her family.

LOL, LOL!! I've seen a few female UPS drivers! This is what happens when you stay home and too afraid to go out in the world to make observations. Probably her only exposure to UPS drivers is the same old guy who comes to her house to drop off her freshly minted books, so therefore all UPS drivers are male. 

My UPS delivery person is a woman about 50% pf the time.  Th DHL delivery courier is always a woman.  My mail person alternates between a man and a woman depending on the day.   All of them have delivered heavy packages.

Lori is an idiot.

I have a relative who is retired from a delivery service.  She's female and heaven help anyone, customers or bosses, who gave her grief.  Since her spinal surgery, she probably can't take anyone down physically, but she'll do her damndest.  Lori is so clueless that she probably doesn't get out much.

This has been a tough couple of days around our house, and I want to thank Lori for unknowingly cheering me up. When I got to the food bank today for my volunteer shift, here's the first thing I saw. Coconut oil by the half-gallon, pallet after pallet full. People may have wondered why I was snickering, and taking pictures....

coconut oil.jpg

1 hour ago, Koala said:

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Lord.have.mercy.

She is so clueless. Drivers have the same routes so she will see the same people. I have seen plenty of women delivery drivers. Human males do tend to be taller and larger than females, but that doesn't mean they are always stronger than women. Women are far from "weak vessels". Women can and do deliver for UPS, just because she did not see one recently doesn't mean they don't exist. Mostly men deliver large items, but c'mon, it's not only men. None of that means women can't fight in wars. They have to pass the same training and FYI, in the past, some societies have taught women how to fight and defend their nation/country like Sparta. 

Archived