IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr, 2016 MERGED

DomWackTroll

According to her they "just got the pictures"--there is a post earlier that remarks on the 1st Anniversary.  I found it curiously a fortnight before another Sproul wedding. Not to be outdone or anything....etc etc. (Will that one take place amidst Irma's havoc?)

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure these are just old pics. Didn't we have some insider come here and tell us about her "stunning burgundy dress" or something like that? 

6 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Pretty sure these are just old pics. Didn't we have some insider come here and tell us about her "stunning burgundy dress" or something like that? 

But there is a comment saying she must have gotten the photos and she replied no, she hasn't gotten them yet these are from her aunt. Hmmm. Curious. 

A wedding dress can be any variation of white, or any other color, so I'm not snarking on that.  But that dress was...unfortunate.  I didn't find it to be flattering the bride at all.  It looks like a theme wedding, and the dress would most likely be either an existing gown that was tailored to fit the theme, or it was custom made.  That costs money.  So if they're spending money to have a one of a kind dress, why was it so off?

The groom was also dressed in a way that was not flattering.  Suit top was too tight, accentuating his beer belly, and his socks looked like they were too long and he had to fold them over several times to get them to end just under the knee.

People, if you're going to do a theme wedding, do it right.  Or adjust your ideas to fit your budget.

Bridesmaids dressed in black?  Not the usual thing for a wedding, but it looked OK.

The flower girl dressed in silver/white looked out of place in the scheme of things, but what do I know?  They could have had her dressed in tartan, I suppose.  She didn't look happy to be there, but that's the case a lot of the time when you have small children as part of the wedding.

I thought the wedding cake looked nice.

21 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Um… Have we talked about Lisa Sproul’s wedding dress yet? It’s a bit… much. 

They are old pictures. I saw them posted last year. I read somewhere that he picked her dress. It was symbolical. Blood of Christ, the ruby rings and keeping with the Scottish Theme. She has his tartan on her bouquet. I do agree she looks swallowed up by all the material! Maybe he was hiding her for himself. Just a thought. It was an evening wedding and someone posted them riding in a carriage around the church. Her aunt got some good pictures for it being a cell phone.  The food looks great!  Not sure about the knife set, since it was catered maybe that belonged to the company.

These photos indicate that Sproul Sr. is far more ill than he is letting on to his congregation. During his church services, he does preach with oxygen and is seated by the pulpit before the congregation, but he sits, walks with some assistance for the oxygen, and the walker is nowhere to be seen. 

Though the church is not technically "Sproul's church"– it was founded by the congregation and he was then asked to preach there as co-pastor– I am certain that if the congregation knew he was regularly dependent on a walker they would be questioning his prognosis far more than they currently are.

Fortunately for the church, Spanky is not on the leadership team and does not attend there regularly, though his children and grandchildren do.

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

The groom was also dressed in a way that was not flattering.  Suit top was too tight, accentuating his beer belly, and his socks looked like they were too long and he had to fold them over several times to get them to end just under the knee.

Spanky has never looked good in his dress kilts or whatever the outfit is called. He had the same absurd overstuffed appearance in Darby's wedding photos from several years ago. 

Goes to show you that cosplay in ethnic dress -- especially for weddings -- is often a BAD IDEA.

37 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Spanky has never looked good in his dress kilts or whatever the outfit is called. He had the same absurd overstuffed appearance in Darby's wedding photos from several years ago. 

Goes to show you that cosplay in ethnic dress -- especially for weddings -- is often a BAD IDEA.

Weddings are so personal. I can't imagine the critics are too happy with him being happy. Either way, it looks like it went well.

What I find most interesting is that Sr. performed the wedding; because generally if you perform a wedding you are thus sanctioning said marriage. Seeing as she has been married several times without ever being a widow (correct me if I'm wrong), most fundie religious leaders would hesitate to perform at such wedding.  A lot of times you will see previously divorced spouses married in the church, but they always give one of these reasons- I was divorced before I was saved, my wife cheated on me and left me for another person, etc. Of note, infidelity on the husband's part is almost a never allowed reason to condone a woman's remarriage- it just holds true for the man.  And more than one divorce on the woman's behalf- that's pretty rare to see happening in a fundie church with a fundie pastor, especially one as famous as Senior. 

I hardly think they are becoming more liberal or open-minded, it's more likely an impressive amount of mental gymnastics was used to rationalize it. 

3 hours ago, punkiepie said:

What I find most interesting is that Sr. performed the wedding; because generally if you perform a wedding you are thus sanctioning said marriage. Seeing as she has been married several times without ever being a widow (correct me if I'm wrong), most fundie religious leaders would hesitate to perform at such wedding. 

Men in religious offices either stand firmly with the permanent marriage position or free to remarry if deserted or infidelity is commited by the other spouse.  I would conclude they take the latter position. Not sure how we truly know, but she must have been worth pursuing. He certainly did not need her status or wealth, although he does live in her home.  

Is it just the lighting in these pictures, or is the shrug around her shoulders a different color than the dress? 

4 hours ago, punkiepie said:

...I hardly think they are becoming more liberal or open-minded, it's more likely an impressive amount of mental gymnastics was used to rationalize it. 

Gotta keep Precious happy. He might spank somebody else now that his late first wife is no longer available for spanking when he's not amused. 

And maybe the new Missus was a "grace widow" all those times. It could happen. 

On 9/12/2017 at 11:15 PM, hoipolloi said:

Wait a minute -- have Spanky & Lisa been living in sin all this time? 

According to his Wikipedia page they got married (legally) on October 14, 2016 and had an ecclesiastical ceremony on November 19, 2016 (10 days before his arrest). I remember discussing it last year and they're on the fundy wedding list but I can't find the post where the dates were mentioned.

@Bethella -- thank you.

So these photos are from the ecclesiastical ceremony but not posted by the Spanky Sprouls until recently.

And yes, whoever compared Mrs. Spanky's wedding gown to Carol Burnett's epic curtain dress from "Went With the Wind" is absolutely correct.

Has RC dropped some of that massive beer belly under the nutritional guidelines of the new Missus?  This presumes he's actually stopped drinking. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Has RC dropped some of that massive beer belly under the nutritional guidelines of the new Missus?  This presumes he's actually stopped drinking. 

Which would be a great thing for the safety of the highways and byways in his vicinity -- and for the sake of his children who might have to ride along when he drives. 

22 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Spanky is one of the few (very few) men who can actually make formal Highland Dress look bad.

Lisa's burgundy dress with the tartan bow on her bouquet is pretty dreadful.  But perhaps she got white dresses out of her system with her previous wedding(s).

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Spanky is one of the few (very few) men who can actually make formal Highland Dress look bad.

Lisa's burgundy dress with the tartan bow on her bouquet is pretty dreadful.  But perhaps she got white dresses out of her system with her previous wedding(s).

They probably didn't care about a white dress at 50 plus years of age. When you are their ages you do what you want or always desired to do, not what society dictates.  That I respect.  I'm partial to themed weddings myself- even if there are big bellies and flesh covered up.  Looks like he gained a Steeler's fan and he converted to being a Buckeye.

Spoiler

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

On 9/13/2017 at 3:17 PM, punkiepie said:

Of note, infidelity on the husband's part is almost a never allowed reason to condone a woman's remarriage- it just holds true for the man. 

Yeah, Matthew 19:3-9 only addresses a man's right to divorce his wife. The only way a man can remarry is if his wife committed adultery. It doesn't say anything about what a woman can do if she is cheated on. Though Mark 10:2-12 says that if either a man or a woman divorces their spouse and marries another, they have committed adultery, and there's no exception for cases of a cheating spouse. And then 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 says that believers should not divorce their unbelieving spouse, but if the unbeliever separates then the believer is not bound. Does Paul mean that remarriage would be acceptable in a situation like that? I think lots of fundies take it that way, because remarriage is often allowed in cases of desertion, but that contradicts what Jesus said about the permissibility of remarriage. (Though Jesus also contradicts himself on whether remarriage is ever allowed.) God needs to get his message straight.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:01 AM, Bethella said:

According to his Wikipedia page they got married (legally) on October 14, 2016 and had an ecclesiastical ceremony on November 19, 2016 (10 days before his arrest). I remember discussing it last year and they're on the fundy wedding list but I can 't find the post where the dates were mentioned.

Anyone else find this fascinating?  Is the legal marriage ceremony the equivalent of a Vegas "we just couldn't wait!" wedding/elopement?  And then they had the ceremony (blessing of the covenant) for family and close friends and to make God happy?  

I'm also inclined to give everyone a pass on whatever they want to wear to get married.  I'm wondering if the dress is a replica or has some historic significance or if they just went for the "highland lass" vibe.  

Anyone else find this fascinating?  Is the legal marriage ceremony the equivalent of a Vegas "we just couldn't wait!" wedding/elopement?  And then they had the ceremony (blessing of the covenant) for family and close friends and to make God happy?  

I was thinking it was more like Muslim marriages in the U.K. - most mosques aren't registered to perform the civil ceremony but all (ish - one mosque round here doesn't as it's too tiny) will do the religious ceremony.
So usually you have your religious ceremony in the mosque then the civil ceremony at the register office/a hotel/somewhere registered.
Whereas a Christian church ceremony encompasses both parts of the ceremony.

Of course there are some mosques who can do both bits and some churches who can't.

This is probably a U.K. only thing though?

(Sorry, tried to make my point clear but pregnancy + chest infection = brain mush)

My understanding of the community, and I've always felt like an outsider even though I attended a Reformed college and have Reformed family, is that getting married before your church ceremony is considered a high scandal. You just...don't. If you do, people talk. The general conversation is that you couldn't wait, or even that the first marriage by the government isn't considered valid until it's blessed by a minister. 

It's weird to me that these things are going on in the Sproul family. I mean, so many fundies look up to them as perfect, and here Spanky is being such a hot mess all the time. Most fundies don't look into them as much as we do, but if they did, I wonder what they'd think or if they'd just write it off.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived