IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 10: Having my baby

samurai_sarah

On 10/29/2016 at 10:41 AM, WhyNotJulie said:

I just started watching this season of Counting On and I continue to be completely floored by how utterly unintelligent Ben seems to be.  He sure is a few tater tots short of a casserole.

I originally though that Jessa was much smarter than Ben, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I just don't understand how any semi-intelligent woman could be married to Ben and not kill herself.

:TrainWreckMotion:

HAHAHAHAHAHA omg this needs to be a thing! 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think she might have had the ultrasound done by now. For not hearing the heartbeat- maybe her midwife is not using a doppler but a traditional hear trumpet (is that the right wording?). So it is totally possible she gets prenatal care but was not lying. I hope so because after her birth experience with the SPURGE she must be horrified. I know I would be. But then it is totally possible that she was not seeing someone because you know- Jesus!

44 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think she might have had the ultrasound done by now. For not hearing the heartbeat- maybe her midwife is not using a doppler but a traditional hear trumpet (is that the right wording?). So it is totally possible she gets prenatal care but was not lying. I hope so because after her birth experience with the SPURGE she must be horrified. I know I would be. But then it is totally possible that she was not seeing someone because you know- Jesus!

During her last pregnancy she had the ultrasound done just after 19 weeks. If she did get one done this time, I would guess she had it around the same time and no sooner - waiting until then would have given them a good chance of learning the baby's sex. I'm pretty sure they learned Spurgeon's sex ahead of time and just chose not to share it.

I've got to say, after reading about another fundie who didn't even know she was having twins because she didn't get any ultrasounds (apparently they're bad for the baby, and the Bible says a baby's development is secret), I'm glad the Duggars don't totally reject modern medicine.

I do wonder if Jessa will try to have another home birth. Does anyone know if the complications of her first birth mean she's at a higher risk of having the same complications again?

I knew a woman who was 23 and totally healthy but after her home birth she started hemorrhaging. An ambulance was called but she bled out and died before it got to the hospital. It was really shocking and heartbreaking.

18 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

During her last pregnancy she had the ultrasound done just after 19 weeks. If she did get one done this time, I would guess she had it around the same time and no sooner - waiting until then would have given them a good chance of learning the baby's sex. I'm pretty sure they learned Spurgeon's sex ahead of time and just chose not to share it.

I think they did know as well. I remember it being a teasing thing that only they knew and they weren't telling. And then they named that adorable child Spurgeon. I think the most fun thing is going to be the what will this next child's name be? 

When wychling learned she was pregnant,  I bought a hand-held Doppler from Amazon.  We tried to hear grandwych's heartbeat several times, but he was never in a position to get a strong, clear reading.  Little stinker was protective of his gonads, too--the technician took it as a personal challenge to find out his gender.   The Duggarlings could buy a Doppler and share it between themselves.  (Hope they're smart enough to know how to use it, lol)

2 minutes ago, Granwych said:

When wychling learned she was pregnant,  I bought a hand-held Doppler from Amazon.  We tried to hear grandwych's heartbeat several times, but he was never in a position to get a strong, clear reading.  Little stinker was protective of his gonads, too--the technician took it as a personal challenge to find out his gender.   The Duggarlings could buy a Doppler and share it between themselves.  (Hope they're smart enough to know how to use it, lol)

They don't need to. Jill already owns one.

My sister offered to let me borrow the one she bought during her pregnancy. I said no. I'd be too tempted to use it a lot and it would send me into a panic attack if I wasn't able to find it. Luckily, Velocibaby has been consistently cooperative during ultrasounds and when they've used the Doppler (my Doctors use it at each appointment to ensure she is doing ok - that's just how they do things for every patient at their practice.)

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I think they did know as well. I remember it being a teasing thing that only they knew and they weren't telling. And then they named that adorable child Spurgeon. I think the most fun thing is going to be the what will this next child's name be? 

I'm hoping it's something relatively "normal", but unintentionally hysterical for us. Like Marcus Anthony Duggar was. It's a lovely name, but the historical and cultural references are hysterical.

18 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I can't wait for the announcement of the birth of little Zwingli, Sproul, or Schweitzer!

Poor Seewald kids: are they all gonna have ridiculous names? Ya know, that way no one feels left out. (Cough cough Caleb & the J names)

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I can't wait for the announcement of the birth of little Zwingli, Sproul, or Schweitzer!

Oh my lanta! What about Moody? Just because my Anne of Green Gables loving heart wants it!

@just_ordinary,  there are several types of old-fashioned devices for listening to the fetal heartbeat.  IIRC, one is indeed like an ear trumpet.  A more common one is a fetoscope and it's a short stethoscope with a bit that fits onto the doctor's or midwife's head.  I requested a fetoscope be used during my last pregnancy 26 years ago.  I was already having plenty of ultrasounds and decided to forego any unnecessary Doppler exposure.  It was thought years ago that repeated, unnecessary exposure to ultrasound might damage the hair cells in the developing fetus's ears.  Research may have shown that it does not cause harm to the ears, by now.

A fetoscope works perfectly well to assess the fetal heart tone.  It just can't be used as early as a Doppler can.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:53 PM, nst said:

she is in a Duggar Bubble that will never ever be popped 

it will when one of her babies die from preventable complications. Hers or Jill's, Jinger's Anna's or anyone of the other Duggar siblings. If all of them go down this route it is sadly only a matter of time before another they have another Jubilee situation. 

If Seewa!d 2 gets  more mainstream name, Spurgie will be pissed. Here are my kids, Tom, Sarah, Chris,  Jeff, Sally, and our special  child, Spurgeon.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm hoping for Baby Tozer.

I looked up surnames of famous Calvinist / Baptist theologians looking for a hint at what Seewald Spawn #2 will be named. Shortlisted names (after removing the normal ones) included:

1. Whitefield
  2. Knox
  3. Wycliffe
  4. Leland
  5. Roloff

I didn't bother looking up girls names because there are no famous historical female preachers (obviously). I assume that if it's a girl they'll just name it "Syndy" (Cindy with an S) or something Jinger-esque along those lines.

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Knox wouldn't be so bad. The rest of them are horrible. 

Sure, but we're really splitting hairs here. 100% of those names are better than Spurgeon.

27 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

Sure, but we're really splitting hairs here. 100% of those names are better than Spurgeon.

Not so sure about Leland.  Every time I hear that name I think of Robin William's in Mrs. Doubtfire when he's calling Sally Field pretending to apply for the nanny job. But that is a slightly odd frame of reference. 

Roloff makes me think of Little People, Big World. And I dislike all of them, so...not a good association. 

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Not so sure about Leland.  Every time I hear that name I think of Robin William's in Mrs. Doubtfire when he's calling Sally Field pretending to apply for the nanny job. But that is a slightly odd frame of reference. 

I think of Dog The Bounty Hunter's son, Leland. My daughter was really into watching the show and when I saw Leland I thought he was hot! Too young for me, but omg! 

Leland wouldn't be too bad of a name choice for her next one. IMO no name could probably be worse than Spurgeon.

True story: my MIL wanted us to name our kid Leland if she'd been a boy. Her reasoning: "You have to think of how it sounds on the phone! And his little friends could call him Lee!" Of course I wouldn't do that to any kid, but yes, it is better than Spurgeon.

I think all of those names are great for a.......dog.

for a baby???  Not so much.  

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yes, they confessed that they knew Spurge's gender before the birth. I broke the news of the sex of the Brown Towel Baby on the interwebs because it was slow at work, and I just happened to be cruising Instagram around 4:30 Pacific time when Jessica Seewald posted a blue square to her page. Not hard to figure that one out, and I put it everywhere. LOL

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Yes, they confessed that they knew Spurge's gender before the birth. I broke the news of the sex of the Brown Towel Baby on the interwebs because it was slow at work, and I just happened to be cruising Instagram around 4:30 Pacific time when Jessica Seewald posted a blue square to her page. Not hard to figure that one out, and I put it everywhere. LOL

You are a hero for doing so. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived