IGNORED

Downton Abbey

haveapicniclife

I just watched both seasons on Amazon streaming. My daughter highly recommended the series. I am not really a TV watcher, but loved it. The camera work is fabulous, the mood and tone are compelling and the costuming is fabulous.

I though immediately of FJ while watching. It strikes me how the Vision Forum crowd so loves to indulge in the fantasy of Edwardian Aristocracy. It is interesting to me that the social order of things really is not religion based at all. It is all about aristocratic obligations to the bloodline (which has some basis in divinity that is fanciful as well). The characters are Christian, but this is not the focus of their lives, nor the driving force behind their motivations.

Doug Phillips, whose own ancestry is far from aristocratic, co-opted this visually appealing era and suited it to his own purposes. I do think that the saddest part is the pigeonholing of women to the role of child-producing arm candy. Doug Phillips really is a tool.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted to buy the kindle version. I've read tons about Lord Carnavon and recall the that his was was alluded to be an illegitimate spawn of a Rothschild. But I do purchase books that are thick and long reads. Is this a quick read or a long savoury one?

It is a quick read, I read it in English and that took me one day and English is not my first language.

I loooove this series. I watched the first episode when I was looking for something to watch after North & South, and now I'm hooked. Sadly though s3 doesn't come back until January. :(

LOVE this show. It reminds me a bit of the "taiga dramas" on NHK, in that it's about some characters but also at the same time just about the time period itself and covering a long time. I'm very much looking forward to Season 3 (I suspect I can find it somewhere now but I'll wait for PBS and watch it with my husband, who is also a fan).

Meanwhile though! Also had to laugh hard at SNL's parody video - a promo for Downton Abbey if it were run on Spike TV. Watch out fot the chicken lady!! We both laughed so hard at that thing...

LOVE this show. It reminds me a bit of the "taiga dramas" on NHK, in that it's about some characters but also at the same time just about the time period itself and covering a long time. I'm very much looking forward to Season 3 (I suspect I can find it somewhere now but I'll wait for PBS and watch it with my husband, who is also a fan).

Just on the off chance that you find you can't wait that long and start looking on YouTube or Hulu, it's not out there yet. Season 3 is still being filmed, and will premiere in England in September. PBS won't get it til January. I think it will show up online before January, though. It's going to be SO hard for me to resist a peek! :lol:

Just on the off chance that you find you can't wait that long and start looking on YouTube or Hulu, it's not out there yet. Season 3 is still being filmed, and will premiere in England in September. PBS won't get it til January. I think it will show up online before January, though. It's going to be SO hard for me to resist a peek! :lol:

Ah. Damn :) Somehow I'd mistakenly heard that it was coming to PBS in September (and so was thinking it was out in the UK already). Oops!

Ah. Damn :) Somehow I'd mistakenly heard that it was coming to PBS in September (and so was thinking it was out in the UK already). Oops!

I know, right? So depressing to think we have to wait til January. I think the powers that be should make an exception and give us Season 3 at the same time the British get it. I need my Dan Stevens fix.

800_dan_stevens_ap_file_120307.jpg

Meanwhile though! Also had to laugh hard at SNL's parody video - a promo for Downton Abbey if it were run on Spike TV. Watch out fot the chicken lady!! We both laughed so hard at that thing...

That was funny! :lol: I just discovered the series on Amazon Prime and I'm halfway through Season 2. Really good!

• 4 weeks later...

Season 3 of Downton Abbey starts tonight. :dance:

I don't live in the UK, so have to wait to see it in January. :cry:

Am dying to see how Mary and Matthew get along and how/if they get Bates out of prison. Also going to love seeing Shirley McLaine as Cora's mom.

Cheers to FJingers in the UK - Enjoy!

Guest Anonymous

Thank you!

We have just had 3 weeks of daily repeat episodes of S1, S2 and the Christmas Special on ITV3 and the new series starts on ITV1 in less than an hour.

I have cracked open a sample bottle of my Christmas sloe gin, in honour of the occasion! :D

Thanks Markie. Got the rest of yesterday's wine waiting, negotiated with the headship to only address me during commercials or if something was on fire, phone will be off the hook, counting down the minutes now. Can't wait!!! I've missed the dowager countess...

I really enjoy "Downton Abbey." A friend of mine turned me on to it after the first episode.

It's going to suck waiting until January to find out what happens.

Also had to laugh hard at SNL's parody video - a promo for Downton Abbey if it were run on Spike TV. Watch out fot the chicken lady!! We both laughed so hard at that thing...

:lol: That is hysterical! I laughed out loud at the chikcen lady comment.

Markie, the UK episodes are weekly. First one was just on, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Shirley MacLaine.

I must admit I've been watching clips and reading reviews. I have both seasons on DVD. Loved both seasons. I can watch it over and over again.

Agreed, no spoilers, although I may have to repeatedly profess my love for Dame Maggie Smith. But then her awesomeness is already a well-documented fact. :)

Yay! So happy!

And also, TWOP howard is such a royal asshole in his little pond fiefdom over there. He has already shut down the DA thread with a shitty smug post scolding all the naughty children.

I must admit, I watched it online and loved it!!! Can't wait 'til next week! Grinned at my computer screen like a fool for over an hour and a half.

Archived