IGNORED

Downton Abbey

haveapicniclife

I am a major fan of Downton Abbey. I was out of town from Christmas-New Years, but I've finally watched the Christmas special. Without spoiling anything, I'd just like to say that many American shows should take notes on how to finally move the plot along - it felt like things were flying!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Wasn't it lovely? :D

And Maggie Smith had some great lines... "Is that a promise??" :P She is my favourite character by far.

I like Anna too. She is beautifully spoken, despite being a lifelong servant.

This thread inspired me to watch Downton Abbey, so I spent the last two days watching it on Netflix in order to be ready for Sunday's new episode. Except now I will be going crazy every week waiting to watch the next episode! I love this show!

This thread inspired me to watch Downton Abbey, so I spent the last two days watching it on Netflix in order to be ready for Sunday's new episode. Except now I will be going crazy every week waiting to watch the next episode! I love this show!

You folks have convinced me to play catch up and start with season one episode one tonight. I'm a huge fan of Upstairs Downstairs so I think I can sink my teeth into this series. BTW I'm watching it streaming on PBS.

Yay! First episode of the second season just aired, and I am as delighted as ever.

My favorites are Anna, Sybil, and even though I was not a huge fan at first, Mary. I always want to like Edith because she is always playing second or third fiddle, but then she does the nastiest things sometimes, so I stop feeling sorry for her.

I look forward to more interaction between Maggie Smith's character and Mrs. Crawley...love their little prickly disagreements.

I've got until the 18th to finish the first season. You folks have me hooked, it is Masterpiece at its best!!! Maggie Smith is a gem.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help but love Downton Abbey, even after season 2 got so soapy. I will say, though, the Christmas Special almost made up for it (not enough Sybil x Branson though IMHO). ;)

Although I think I read somewhere where they'll be scaling down the timeframe for season 3 quite a bit from what it was in s2, so hopefully we'll get more of what we got in s1, pacing-wise.

I have a question for all of you about Williams proposal to Daisy. Her body language was SCREAMING I-dont-want-to-please-oh-please-no but he was still standing there looking happy and optimistic! If that was me my husband would have run from the room.

I'm wondering if this scene is supposed to be about the power of wishful thinking+horrors of WW1 or if there's an element here of "her consent isn't really all that important. As long as she doesn't outright say know it's all good". Thoughts?

I have a question for all of you about Williams proposal to Daisy. Her body language was SCREAMING I-dont-want-to-please-oh-please-no but he was still standing there looking happy and optimistic! If that was me my husband would have run from the room.

I'm wondering if this scene is supposed to be about the power of wishful thinking+horrors of WW1 or if there's an element here of "her consent isn't really all that important. As long as she doesn't outright say know it's all good". Thoughts?

It really could be both, knowing Fellowes. He seems to do make a lot of choices in the name of "historical accuracy" that end up having weird connotations. But I really do think it's just because William is so fucking oblivious. I think, in his mind, nothing she's done has given him the impression that she wouldn't want to be with him. And then there's Mrs. Patmore pushing Daisy to lead him on and all that, which is a whole other issue.

I think it's the Mrs. Patmore thing that has more to do with Daisy's consent meaning total squat. And I think William's too much of a simp to see that she's only going into this because other people are goading her on. YMMV.

Guest Anonymous

I think it was probably more just a combination of the character being young and puppy-doggish (the actor looks older than the boy is meant to be) and having suffered trauma and being on his deathbed and desperate for some good to come out of it. He wasn't trying to get his leg over without consent; he was more trying to get make her eligible for a widow's pension in an age where she would otherwise certainly have relied on charity in her old age.

I actually got the first season on DVD for Christmas. I think Maggie Smith's character has some of the best lines in the series.

• 3 months later...

I bought the DVDs form both seasons and am enjoying them all again. Can't wait for Season 3!

I love Maggie Smith, Mr. Bates, Anna, Mary and Matthew. Actually, I just really enjoy all the characters, even the wicked ones. I imagine this series has brought a lot of visitors to the estate where they filmed Downton Abbey. It's called Highclere Castle. Wouldn't mind visiting there, myself.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else watching? I just re-watched the entire first season and had forgotten had damn good it was. I was pleasantly surprised at their (well deserved) Emmy wins. I only know one person IRL that has even heard of it, but maybe it's more popular than I thought?

I found the first episode of Season 2 online (aired in the UK on Sunday the 18th) and it was really good. There's no way I could wait until January for it to air here.

Any fans?

Yes I am a fan. There is a hilarious resemblance between my grandmother and the dowager.

Because we are both fans, my sister has sent me this book:

"Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon"

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Almina-Real- ... 1452636842

A very interesting read.

I started watching this series about 2 weeks ago. I must say, it sucked me in right away. I am almost at the end of Season 2 now and already can't wait for the 3rd to come out!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just finishing the first season, since my library has S1&2 now.

I usually like Maggie Smith but she's a bit too precious in this one for me, even though I realize she's meant to be over the top. I just want to roll my eyes whenever she appears in a scene now.

Okay, LMM, i like you and all, but if you go disparaging the Dowager Countess again, we are going to have to break up.

"Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon"

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Almina-Real- ... 1452636842

A very interesting read.

I'm tempted to buy the kindle version. I've read tons about Lord Carnavon and recall the that his was was alluded to be an illegitimate spawn of a Rothschild. But I do purchase books that are thick and long reads. Is this a quick read or a long savoury one?

Archived