IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt. 3: Glory Days Dwindling Away

FundieFarmer

6 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

You know, you don't have to take every offhand comment about a fundie as a condemnation of your personal choices. It might save you some angry typing to recognize that, unless someone is addressing you specifically, they are not talking about you.

So I made one observation relating my own personal experience combined with the fact that the term "baby friendly" seems like not the best choice of phrase.

I wasn't angry typing. I was quite calm as I told the story of my own experience.  I was quite calm as I expressed my views. I've watched others express their views here fairly regularly (even on this thread after my comment). I thought that it would be okay for me to express my view as well. 

But thank you for saying that I take "every offhand comment as a condemnation". I rarely comment on FJ but sure, you go ahead and paint me with broad strokes.

I apologize for making a comment. 

I'll go back to reading quietly.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Adrienne83 said:

I can only speak about the hospital I gave birth at.

Both times (same hospital) I was told that I couldn't. If anyone was with the mom and baby, that person got to take care of the baby when mom can't get up. If no one is there, then they take it to the "nursery" they have. My husband stayed, so both times baby was with us. If not, baby would have had to go there at night. I wasn't allowed to be alone with the baby for long amounts of time, and not at all at night.

Was your hospital "baby friendly?" If it is and bass a nursery, it seems to go against what the previous poster said about the baby friendly hospital she works at. 

And the window with all the babies in the nursery isn't really a thing that I've seen. Sure it's still in movies, but most new moms have their baby with them all day long In hospitals with a nursery. I sent mine down for a few hours at night but had him with me the rest of the time. 

When I hear of hospitals getting rid of nurseries and calling themselves "baby friendly" the jaded side of me thinks they are just trying to save money and aren't thinking of the best interest of the new moms.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I hear of hospitals getting rid of nurseries and calling themselves "baby friendly" the jaded side of me thinks they are just trying to save money and aren't thinking of the best interest of the new moms

And we have a winner!!!!    Anything to save $$$$$.  When Grandwych was born earlier this year, the only time I saw babies in the nursery was if there was a newborn coming off drugs or such.   Baby friendly my large Polish dupa.  How any hospital can call itself "baby-friendly" by foisting the newborn off totally on an exhausted mother just defies my reasoning. 

I have read a lot of push back against "Baby Friendly" guidelines.  I have a great article somewhere.  But yes, even the csection mom are supposed to care for their babies. It's gone too far.  Being awarded the baby friendly distinction is considered a badge of honor to be used to encourage moms to give birth there. It has its benefits.  It also calls for lots of support for breastfeeding.  I enjoyed having my son with me but he was a very sleepy newborn and not demanding.  And my husband stayed with me. 

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The hospital where my grandchildren were born only allows sick newborns in the nursery.  It's the current trend.  They won't even take a healthy newborn in there for mom to nap or take a shower.   We were told that's what grandma is for and I was allowed to stay when all the other visitors were ushered out for quiet time. 

This strikes me as a very strange policy. Not every woman can or wants to have her mother (or father or in-laws, for that matter) look after her newborn. My parents moved abroad after they married, so when my sisters and I were born the only family to visit my mum in the hospital were my dad and the existing kids (and Dad couldn't stick around to care for the baby because of the aforementioned existing children).

I'm so glad there was a nursery in the hospitals I had my kids in 20 and 16 years ago,  I chose for my babies to be bought to me when they woke to be fed, and once I'd fed and changed them I returned them and went back to sleep.  With my second, the nurse asked whether I'd like to have him with me on the last night to practice.  I replied I'd had plenty of practice with my first, and would take that last bit of sleep please!  

It was a bit of a worry that they bought the wrong baby to me one night to feed - lucky I noticed before I did.

I reckon it's a cost saving strategy as well.  

In Sweden nurseries in hopitals haven't been around for at least 30 years so I consider them a thing of the past and like most people expect that nurses don't do much with a healthy infant. I had a very hard  first  labor but my husband stayed with me and changed the baby's diapers and everything that meant standing up. When he had to get some stuff at home the nurses brought me lunch but we just kind of started our new life right away once it was born. With my second I was up and ready from the start. My husband had to take care of our daughter so he couldn't stay with me so had I had another tough birth it would have been harder to care for the child but I  assume I would rather done what I could than ring for a nurse. I would not have wanted to have the baby in a nursery even if the option was there. It is my very new baby, I would not trust others with it out of my sight. My guess is that if the US will have more and more hopitals without nurseries they will seem strange in a pretty short time. Sure it is nice to get to rest but if you are ok with formula just give child formula and keep it with you, if it is sleepy it will sleep longer that way.

48 minutes ago, elliha said:

In Sweden nurseries in hopitals haven't been around for at least 30 years so I consider them a thing of the past and like most people expect that nurses don't do much with a healthy infant. I had a very hard  first  labor but my husband stayed with me and changed the baby's diapers and everything that meant standing up. When he had to get some stuff at home the nurses brought me lunch but we just kind of started our new life right away once it was born. With my second I was up and ready from the start. My husband had to take care of our daughter so he couldn't stay with me so had I had another tough birth it would have been harder to care for the child but I  assume I would rather done what I could than ring for a nurse. I would not have wanted to have the baby in a nursery even if the option was there. It is my very new baby, I would not trust others with it out of my sight. My guess is that if the US will have more and more hopitals without nurseries they will seem strange in a pretty short time. Sure it is nice to get to rest but if you are ok with formula just give child formula and keep it with you, if it is sleepy it will sleep longer that way.

This is so interesting to me!  So, with no nurses, who administered the medicines, etc, starts the I.V.'s, etc.,?  I'm really curious, because I think Sweden is way ahead of the U.S. in health care quality.  

1 hour ago, elliha said:

The problem is the csection moms. And there are single csection moms. So it would get difficult if mom had to buzz a nurse every single time she had to pick baby up. And babies aren't allowed to sleep with mom in bed. So I can imagine a single mom would be buzzing the nurses a lot. While baby just cries waiting for someone to pick him up as mom stands by helpless. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The problem is the csection moms. And there are single csection moms. So it would get difficult if mom had to buzz a nurse every single time she had to pick baby up. And babies aren't allowed to sleep with mom in bed. So I can imagine a single mom would be buzzing the nurses a lot. While baby just cries waiting for someone to pick him up as mom stands by helpless. 

Well, here they are allowed in bed and c-section moms can pick up their babies but not anything heavier. If you are single you are normally allowed to have someone else present to help.

53 minutes ago, snarkysuki1724 said:

This is so interesting to me!  So, with no nurses, who administered the medicines, etc, starts the I.V.'s, etc.,?  I'm really curious, because I think Sweden is way ahead of the U.S. in health care quality.  

Oh, there are nurses but they only do the medical stuff and they come into your room to do most things so you can focus on being a parent even if there is something they need to check. I had ivs both times because I  needed transfusions and I got them from a nurse. My baby had routine checkups in our room and some where my husband took him/her to a doctor and some the second time where I carried the baby to the doctor's room.

If you need help or have questions nurses will help you of course and if you need medical help staff will do it (with premature babies parents are often taught to do some things after a while though).

Swedish health care is good but can feel a bit tight and cost effective but it works well most of the time. I paid about 20 dollars to give birth out of pocket , the rest through taxes.

26 minutes ago, elliha said:

Well, here they are allowed in bed and c-section moms can pick up their babies but not anything heavier. If you are single you are normally allowed to have someone else present to help.

I should've been more specific. The baby can sleep with mom in bed but mom can't sleep with baby in bed. So every time baby wakes up in the middle of the night, mom would have to buzz the nurse to come pick baby up for her. But I bet mom would just go against Drs orders and pick him up herself and then put him down as well. It really makes it harder on csection moms.

ETA: my hospital wasn't "baby friendly" but so helpful with breastfeeding. So the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I wish all hospitals were like the one I gave birth in.

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I should've been more specific. The baby can sleep with mom in bed but mom can't sleep with baby in bed. So every time baby wakes up in the middle of the night, mom would have to buzz the nurse to come pick baby up for her. But I bet mom would just go against Drs orders and pick him up herself and then put him down as well. It really makes it harder on csection moms.

ETA: my hospital wasn't "baby friendly" but so helpful with breastfeeding. So the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I wish all hospitals were like the one I gave birth in.

Ok, here mom and baby can sleep together in bed and if you don't the baby is in a tiny bed placed right beside the bed so you don't need to get out to pick the baby up. I have co-slept with both babies from the start so I  know it is possible and I  had a bed with my first kid and lifted her out of it while still in bed. Last time we got a babynest because our particular hopital has started promoting safe co-sleeping. I chose not to use it since I  prefer my way of cosleeping. You can still get a bed for the baby but it is no longer standard. You do get a wrap to carry your baby in which I like. I think the breastfeeding advice I got the first time was ok but not great,  this time I didn't need any so I don't know if they improved or not. It has varied among friends some  got great advice some got catastrophic so I assume  it is still not great.

8 hours ago, alba said:

This strikes me as a very strange policy. Not every woman can or wants to have her mother (or father or in-laws, for that matter) look after her newborn.

Oh, I didn't think for a minute it was official hospital policy.  I think the nurses were joking about that's what grandma is for.  We thought I had to leave for quiet time which is family bonding but instead they joked grandmas are for baby holding. SIL had to go out for awhile or needed a break from the hospital and hadn't gotten back yet. 

Oh, I didn't think for a minute it was official hospital policy.  I think the nurses were joking about that's what grandma is for.  We thought I had to leave for quiet time which is family bonding but instead they joked grandmas are for baby holding. SIL had to go out for awhile or needed a break from the hospital and hadn't gotten back yet. 

Ooooh, okay! I didn't get from your prior post that it was a joke XD

1 minute ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

No, but she's got Pecan Thief, he's a perpetual infant in some areas.

Too true! I am just thinking she must be getting pretty miserable! :) 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Too true! I am just thinking she must be getting pretty miserable! :) 

I totally agree. Between David, two toddlers, and being a bit overdue with the latest Pecan Gleaner, she's gotta be exhausted. Here's hoping TFDW is helping out so she'll be well rested going into labor, delivery and the inevitable video shoot within an hour or two of the littlest Gleaner's arrival. 

1 minute ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I totally agree. Between David, two toddlers, and being a bit overdue with the latest Pecan Gleaner, she's gotta be exhausted. Here's hoping TFDW is helping out so she'll be well rested going into labor, delivery and the inevitable video shoot within an hour or two of the littlest Gleaner's arrival. 

I don't see TFDW doing much but I guess he may be. I am quite excited to see what the name will be. After Davia anything normally will be a bit of a let down!

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't see TFDW doing much but I guess he may be. I am quite excited to see what the name will be. After Davia anything normally will be a bit of a let down!

I know, it was wishful thinking. If he did do anything I'm sure he'd insist on posting some selfies to show us all what a great guy he is. But yes, I'm eager to hear the latest name too. 

8 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I know, it was wishful thinking. If he did do anything I'm sure he'd insist on posting some selfies to show us all what a great guy he is. But yes, I'm eager to hear the latest name too. 

Hope springs eternal comes to mind! :P

48 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

No, but she's got Pecan Thief, he's a perpetual infant in some areas.

But he's probably in and out in five minutes.  This pregnancy seems to be lasting forever.  Poor Pris.  Hope the baby isn't as large as Paul was, and that her labor isn't very long.

21 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

But he's probably in and out in five minutes.  This pregnancy seems to be lasting forever.  Poor Pris.  Hope the baby isn't as large as Paul was, and that her labor isn't very long.

Oh, @Dandruff, did my mind ever go to awful places with your post, especially the in and out in five minutes part. :output_eeMbjt:

It calls for large quantities of 

:brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived