IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt. 3: Glory Days Dwindling Away

FundieFarmer

'our soon arrival'?  Geez. 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, they look like they're trying to smuggle a pumpkin out of a pumpkin patch - it wouldn't fit in the Bible bee bag, so Prissy's smuggling it out under her shirt.

7 hours ago, withaj said:

Zero to none sounds about right. How long after she pushes out the baby do we think he'll give her to rest this time before shooting the introduction video? Poor thing isn't great on camera at the best of times. The video after Davia's birth just seemed cruel. (I don't think he would ever intend to be cruel; he does seem sweet on the rare occasion he's not being inconsiderate. But still.)

So, one of my Facebook friends is the complete opposite of David in so many ways. He's the atheist super-crunchy vegan hippy type. Anyway, all of his Facebook friends were treated to a video of his wife  and new baby literally right after birth. Like, she was still naked and covered in goo, and so was the baby. She barely had a sheet covering the parts that Facebook won't let you show. I understand taking a video like that for home use (maybe...) but WHY OH WHY would you post something like this to Facebook? Hint: There is such a thing as oversharing.

Back to Pris and Pecan. I give Pris exactly one hour after birth until she has to be video-ready!

WHY OH WHY would you post something like this to Facebook?

Because deep down you genuinely believe other people are as interested in and amazed by your life as you are. It's a fundamentally narcissistic thing.

On 10/17/2016 at 6:49 PM, Dandruff said:

Their latest Instagram post, regarding the importance of voting for Christians, seems to suggest they'll be choosing a third party candidate (see the comments).  Unless I'm reading it wrong...it's a bit cryptic.

While I can pretend I can puzzle out the thinking of TFDW, I've noticed a lot of fundies who were tepidly in the Trump camp are now saying they will write in Pence.  I'm not sure that'll work everywhere and it won't count even if it can be done, but Pence really is a fundie wet dream.  

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Don't forget the gaping hole they had to repair in one of the room floors-- I expect it will bust open  again on Halloween. I believe Davia has telekinetic powers that can make this happen.

Sissy Spacek's "Carrie" or one of the new versions of "Carrie"? (I'd go for the Sissy Spacek version myself; much scarier than the sequel/remakes.)

It amazes me how far women can go past their due date. I would want out! Priscilla looks ready to pop.

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Poor Cilly. I can't imagine going 6 days overdue with two toddlers and a husband like him. I would beg for a hospital birth just to get some alone time. I would bet she gets zero to none.

I work in a "baby friendly" hospital that requires rooming in of the babies and encourages breast feeding.  However, there is a large Orthodox population and I noticed that all the moms would send the babies to the nursery for the night to be fed with formula and then get the babies back around 8/9 after breakfast and a shower.  They would breast feed during the day.  I didn't understand it at first but then it occurred to me.  If you start popping out blessings every 15 months from the time you are 19/20 these are the only two nights that you can sleep and get alone time until the next baby.  

3 minutes ago, JMO said:

I work in a "baby friendly" hospital that requires rooming in of the babies and encourages breast feeding.  However, there is a large Orthodox population and I noticed that all the moms would send the babies to the nursery for the night to be fed with formula and then get the babies back around 8/9 after breakfast and a shower.  They would breast feed during the day.  I didn't understand it at first but then it occurred to me.  If you start popping out blessings every 15 months from the time you are 19/20 these are the only two nights that you can sleep and get alone time until the next baby.  

If your are talking about an Orthodox Jewish population that is par for course. Many orthodox women work outside the home unlike this brand of Christanity where most don't. 

My sister has an Orthodox collage (teacher in the NYC public school system). She only has 4 kids and will not be having anymore. 

1 hour ago, season of life said:

It amazes me how far women can go past their due date. I would want out! Priscilla looks ready to pop.

I know! She must be miserable. I hope that she has that baby soon! 

Hope Priscilla has her baby soon, its got to be uncomfortable being almost a week overdue and having two toddlers to care for,

2 hours ago, season of life said:

3 days was plenty for me thanks. Although her belly looks like she's smuggling a pumpkin, it's cute. She looks way better Than I did when I was overdue. Those fundie wives have the perfect pregnant helpmeet down.

Do we know if she REALLY is past due?  Kind of like Jill, who estimated that date?  Was it done by last menstrual period or actual baby development?

4 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Sissy Spacek's "Carrie" or one of the new versions of "Carrie"? (I'd go for the Sissy Spacek version myself; much scarier than the sequel/remakes.)

Sissy Spacek's Carrie. Newer versions are blasphemy.

I hope Priscilla births little Gleaner or Gleanette soon.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

First--women who choose to sleep a night in the hospital without their newborn are still "baby friendly". I don't care for the implication that women who choose not to have their infants with them overnight are somehow not "baby friendly".

Second-- (and my main point) is that you don't have to be a fundamentalist with 15 blessings to choose the option of not having your baby in the hospital room. We are run-of-the-mill mainline Christians with 3 kids. After 30 hours  of labor with #1, I requested one night to sleep without my infant so I could recover. The nurses refused, basically telling me I'd ruin my baby, we'd never bond, she'd never nurse again, blah, blah, blah. Being a first time mom without  a lot of support (besides my husband), I believed them. It took me weeks to recover from that delivery.  So with baby #2 and #3, I told the nurses that the baby would be in the nursery the first night, formula fed and bring the baby back after 8 am. Period.  I was able to let my body rest and recover for 10 hours and when I went home I felt great. I had the energy to be the mom my kids needed. And guess what--I'm bonded with those children too. They still nursed. They know they are loved. 

23 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Don't forget the gaping hole they had to repair in one of the room floors-- I expect it will bust open  again on Halloween. I believe Davia has telekinetic powers that can make this happen.

After watching the Ark video and reading this, my daughter and I are dying!!!!  

Davia is definitely the most meme-able fundie. For sanity's sake, I can't include JRod.

3 hours ago, season of life said:

And she's looked ready to pop for about a month! She is a serious trooper. 

1 hour ago, FaithAndReason said:

First--women who choose to sleep a night in the hospital without their newborn are still "baby friendly". I don't care for the implication that women who choose not to have their infants with them overnight are somehow not "baby friendly".

Second-- (and my main point) is that you don't have to be a fundamentalist with 15 blessings to choose the option of not having your baby in the hospital room. We are run-of-the-mill mainline Christians with 3 kids. After 30 hours  of labor with #1, I requested one night to sleep without my infant so I could recover. The nurses refused, basically telling me I'd ruin my baby, we'd never bond, she'd never nurse again, blah, blah, blah. Being a first time mom without  a lot of support (besides my husband), I believed them. It took me weeks to recover from that delivery.  So with baby #2 and #3, I told the nurses that the baby would be in the nursery the first night, formula fed and bring the baby back after 8 am. Period.  I was able to let my body rest and recover for 10 hours and when I went home I felt great. I had the energy to be the mom my kids needed. And guess what--I'm bonded with those children too. They still nursed. They know they are loved. 

You know, you don't have to take every offhand comment about a fundie as a condemnation of your personal choices. It might save you some angry typing to recognize that, unless someone is addressing you specifically, they are not talking about you. There is nothing in the original post to suggest that women who don't room in with their newborns are not "baby friendly" or that the Orthodox women don't bond with their babies, and nothing to warrant such a defensive, hand-slappy response. 

point.png

Thank you @slickcat79.   I appreciate that.  @FaithAndReason Baby Friendly is an official designation and not an opinion that I'm putting forth.  One of the guidelines is that babies should only sleep in the same room as mom and never in the nursery.  It's actually unusual that the hospital that I work in kept their nursery, many do not.  I have no judgement for the women who do this.  In fact, I think it is vital for women after the pain and trauma of labor to have adequate time to heal.  I don't care whether it's your first kid or your 19th.  I'm just pointing out that I think the reason these women fought so hard to have their baby in the nursery is because they know they are going home with their newborn to a house full of kids and they will need every bit of sleep they can get.  Meanwhile Priscilla will be shoved in front of a camera an hour after birth and will still have to care for two toddlers while trying to heal.  

The hospital where my grandchildren were born only allows sick newborns in the nursery.  It's the current trend.  They won't even take a healthy newborn in there for mom to nap or take a shower.   We were told that's what grandma is for and I was allowed to stay when all the other visitors were ushered out for quiet time. 

What if mom had a csection? A person is expected to pick up and take care of a baby right after surgery? 

I am so glad my hospital wasn't "baby friendly." It sounds mother unfriendly.

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What if mom had a csection? A person is expected to pick up and take care of a baby right after surgery? 

I think it's just the pendulum swinging - it'll settle in the middle eventually. 

On 10/14/2016 at 8:44 PM, Carm_88 said:

Hahaha a a Canadian a double double is what you order at Tim Horton's! :P 

And we all know what the In and Out Store is - THE BEER STORE

I think nurseries are a real American thing. It's weird for us Brits to see, say, that episode of Friends where Rachel has her baby and they're all looking at her through the nursery window. It's just not done in Britain- the baby stays with the mother until they are discharged, unless of course they have to go to the NICU. Personally I'd hate to be separated from my baby post birth, but YMMV. 

I think there used to be nurseries. I read Jacqueline Wilson's autobiography and she talks about how she was taken away from her mother after birth as they'd had to use forceps and they had slightly damaged her mouth. Her mum didn't even see her for about four days. Of course this was 1945 when parenting styles/ giving birth were quite different (no dad in the delivery room etc). 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can only speak about the hospital I gave birth at.

Both times (same hospital) I was told that I couldn't. If anyone was with the mom and baby, that person got to take care of the baby when mom can't get up. If no one is there, then they take it to the "nursery" they have. My husband stayed, so both times baby was with us. If not, baby would have had to go there at night. I wasn't allowed to be alone with the baby for long amounts of time, and not at all at night.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived