IGNORED

Priss & Pecan, Pt. 3: Glory Days Dwindling Away

FundieFarmer

On October 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Dandruff said:

Agree that she probably doesn't know what she's missing.  She was raised to do what she's doing, and they tend to socialize with other patriarchal families where women may not be especially appreciated.  For all we know, she feels lucky where she is.  David has steady employment (unless the whole thing implodes, am hoping), I suspect she's friends with lots of other women, and I expect many of them live nearby. 

I also think she's at least as over-the-top fundie as David is, and possibly more, so they're compatible in that regard.  As long as David doesn't pull a "Joshley" or a "Shrader" she might be happily counting her blessings each day.

I still wish he showed her more affection though - at least on camera.

Can you please point me to a thread explaining what pulling a shrader is? I know the family but I don't know the story.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Can you please point me to a thread explaining what pulling a shrader is? I know the family but I don't know the story.

I don't think there's a particular story so much as just the general circumstances he's dragged his family into. Josh caused a scandal that resulted in his public shaming and the mortification of his wife. John dragged his entire family to Zambia, where he persists in pretending he's God's gift to the poor brown heathens and being involved in one mishap after another. David looks pretty tolerable in comparison.

Just now, withaj said:

I don't think there's a particular story so much as just the general circumstances he's dragged his family into. Josh caused a scandal that resulted in his public shaming and the mortification of his wife. John dragged his entire family to Zambia, where he persists in pretending he's God's gift to the poor brown heathens and being involved in one mishap after another. David looks pretty tolerable in comparison.

Oh I think I got staddon and shrader confused. I know all about Esther's husband unfortunately I fell down that rabbit hole a long time ago.

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Yeah, Priscilla lucked out in many ways, for a fundie woman. 

Which is saying an awful lot. 

Of course, I have no idea, but it wouldn't shock me if Davy was an abusive little shit.

It's not possible to know what goes on behind closed doors.  Even the closed doors of people we think we really know well, never mind someone we only know from a few reality show appearances and youtube videos.

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

Far be it from me to shame anyone for not having a lot of money. However, buy-one-get-one burgers and fries at a fast food place by a big road still gets the side-eye from me when declared a "fun date night" (and I really don't think David and Cil are bad off financially). Frankly, a home-cooked pasta dish and a few candles would make a much better date night any time in my book, and would likely be cheaper too. YMMV, and that's okay.

My idea of a great date night involves continuing my quest for the best cheeseburger in existence (5 Guys is winning, but I happily solicit other ideas if you have any!) and *not* cooking a darned thing. 

2 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

My idea of a great date night involves continuing my quest for the best cheeseburger in existence (5 Guys is winning, but I happily solicit other ideas if you have any!) and *not* cooking a darned thing. 

In n Out > 5 Guys. This I know to be true. 

2 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

In and Out...double double animal style. Your tongue will adore you

6 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

Amen.  

IF Pecan ever cooked & cleaned up after, or would ever cook or clean up after, a home date night would be a great idea if they were short on funds.  But you know it would just be the same as any other night for Priscilla, except now she has to deal with candles too.

Amen.  

IF Pecan ever cooked & cleaned up after, or would ever cook or clean up after, a home date night would be a great idea if they were short on funds.  But you know it would just be the same as any other night for Priscilla, except now she has to deal with candles too.

And what about the children? Put them to bed and hope they stay asleep?

6 hours ago, bal maiden said:

In n Out > 5 Guys. This I know to be true. 

Not everyone is lucky enough to live within striking distance of an In-n-Out... This I know to be true! (Former west coast kid here. Though I never loved burgers. Blasphemous, I know. But our school lunches were In-n-Out on Fridays!)

1 hour ago, withaj said:

Not everyone is lucky enough to live within striking distance of an In-n-Out... This I know to be true! (Former west coast kid here. Though I never loved burgers. Blasphemous, I know. But our school lunches were In-n-Out on Fridays!)

This is me.  Midwest person and really wish they were here.   Would make a point of getting to an In-n-Out whenever we traveled in AZ / NV.   Five Guys is close but not quite IMHO.

I ate at an In-N-Out just once.  It was last year, and the place had been there about a year.  It was in a city a couple of hours away from where I live, but when I traveled there to visit relatives, they insisted that we all go because having an In-N-Out was such a big deal.  Seriously.  When rumors started that the famous In-N-Out wanted to build there, the local news stations reported every step of the approval process, the wheeling and dealing to get the best location, the tear-down of the building that was currently on the desired spot, etc.  Every mention of In-N-Out was reported and the anticipation reached feverish levels.  It was insane.  It was like a huge rock star was coming to live there.  Construction of the building was carefully monitered, long lines of people hoping to work there were shown, and local politicians were basking in the glory of bringing In-N-Out to town.

It all seemed over the top to me, but finally I was going to taste the heavenly burger for myself.  We decided to go through the drive through, because getting a seat in side was too difficult.  We pulled up in the parking lot of the local mall and there were two separate lines of cars, designated with orange cones, even though there was only one drive through window.  Employees were outside directing traffic.  We waited at least 20 minutes before we got to the head of our line, and an employee came up to us and took our order in the parking lot.  Then he repeated our order over a mike and we waited until it was our turn to join the actual line for the drive through.  We got our food, it was hot and fresh, the order was correct.  We pulled off into a remote corner of the parking lot to eat and I had my first and only In-N-Out burger.  There was nothing wrong with it, but it was nothing special at all.  Perhaps all the buildup gave me false hopes.  I asked if the meal we got was typical and was assured that it was.  It seems that in at least that location, the idea of eating at In-N-Out was the real selling point.

Now that same city might be getting a Five Guys.  The excitement isn't quite as rampant as for In-N-Out, but it's early days yet.

10 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm British, we don't have these things and I'm cracking up, because this sounds like you're describing a very different kind of date night to me! 

12 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

I love Five Guys. I used to live close to the original location and went on a cheap date there. I've been a fan ever since. When I moved about an hour away, it was right as they were starting to franchise and a location opened about five minutes from my new residence, I was so thrilled! What I love best is that the burgers are well done. Second, I love the choice of toppings. I hate mustard and mayo, which so many places slather on burgers with abandon; I can get my favorite barbecue sauce and onions.

I remember the first time I had my mom get Five Guys. I had just had outpatient surgery and was craving a burger. I said we could share a single order of fries. She said, "oh no, I'll get us each a separate order." I told her to just get a single order and she'd see. She came home and told me she couldn't believe how many fries came in the order.

There are no In and Out locations within driving distance, so I can't speak to them, but I know they have a dedicated following.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I'm British, we don't have these things and I'm cracking up, because this sounds like you're describing a very different kind of date night to me! 

In and Out is a burger place that is in the west. California, Nevada and Arizona. It is to DIE for!  double double is a double hamburger, double cheese. Animal style has grilled onions and other stuff added. OH MY GOD they are OUTRAGEOUSLY good!!!

Now I need to get one. 

I was feeling snarky about this date night too. But you FJers bring up some good points.  If I was past my due date, no kids, no dishes and some junk food would sound great.

I'm thinking about going for lunch or dinner now.  Don't wave temptation in front of me, pl ease.

The Jack Daniels' burger glaze is very very good.  (Good enough to charge for extra sauce at the restaurant.)  So good that I looked up a copycat recipe and made a bottle for home use.

That said, I haven't had an In & Out or 5 Guys burger yet.   Maybe a request to Grampwych for a "date night" is in order...

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Alas! I live in a state with no In and Out. We have 5 Guys, Freddie's, Fuddruckers, and several localish places. 

Haven't had In-N-Out but I love 5 Guys! However the best burgers I've ever had are at this little hole in the wall joint right on campus. The burgers are HUGE (like almost the size of your face) and you can get extra meats on top- shrimp, chicken, bacon, gyro, etc :) although my favorite is their mushroom and Swiss burger which I rarely get because that's one of the most popular burgers and they sometimes run out of mushrooms! They're also really well seasoned and soooo juicy. Good quality meat makes a huge difference!

39 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

Alas! I live in a state with no In and Out. We have 5 Guys, Freddie's, Fuddruckers, and several localish places. 

That's one of the reasons I'll never, ever move back to my hometown...it's on the other side of the country from In and Out. It has now become one of those things...ya know?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived