IGNORED

3 Trump: Parables, Politics, Panic

SpoonfulOSugar

Trump's new campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, was on GMA this morning.   She is so smoooothe and is just as good as staying on topic as Paul Manafort and soooo sincerely convincing  (and likely does not have skeeevy relationships with Russia and Ukraine). Are we going to see a nicer, more "presidential"  D. Trump in the days ahead?  Time for betting pools and drinking games.

On the other hand, Conway has a bit of baggage of her own.   According to The Daily Beast, 

Earlier this year, Conway ran Keep the Promise PAC, the multimillion-dollar effort to elect Sen. Ted Cruz president and, in the process, defeat Donald Trump in the GOP primary. Through that super PAC, Conway gained what might be her most valuable asset in Republicans’ goal to beat Hillary Clinton—experience in the best ways to attack Trump, especially among female voters.

In an interview with The Daily Beast in January, Conway said she’d found the most powerful ammunition in an attack against Trump among GOP women were the man’s own oscillating words, gleaned from decades of loud-mouthery and laid against his new political persona. The result was a series of blistering attack ads featuring Trump in his own words and taking him to task for flip-flopping over the years on the core issues of abortion and single payer health care.

But she's good, really good, and will have a strategy to neutralize this.  I'll be fascinated to see what it is. 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manafort is out: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/us/politics/paul-manafort-resigns-donald-trump.html?_r=0

“This morning Paul Manafort offered, and I accepted, his resignation from the campaign,” Mr. Trump said in a statement. “I am very appreciative for his great work in helping to get us where we are today, and in particular his work guiding us through the delegate and convention process. Paul is a true professional and I wish him the greatest success.”

Donald Trump's ad campaign is starting: 

Donald Trump is running his first campaign ad for the general election, and it offers all the proof you’ll need that, in a fundamental sense, no meaningful change of approach can or will ever emanate from his campaign.

Because this is an ad, it’s professionally done and well-considered in its language — it’s not an off-the-cuff remark or full of anything so crazy that it will make lifelong Republicans cringe. But there’s nothing in here about free markets or traditional family values or America’s role as the world’s indispensable nation and guarantor of liberty.

Instead it’s a pretty simple proposition — Hillary Clinton will let foreigners kill you and Donald Trump won’t:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/19/12551834/trump-first-ad

Yes, the damage has been done by Trump's campaign.  On these efforts to show a kinder Trump: It's like showing a picture of a nice house after showing photos of a path of devastation from a tornado.   The nice house isn't a house spared from the the tornado carnage or a house that's been rebuilt, it's just a picture of a nice house or maybe it's just the facade of a house with nothing behind it.  

Re: his first campaign ad -- At least it's accurate.  All Trump can do is appeal to primal fear of the other.  He has no message. 

Politico has an article up about Kellyanne Conway being hired as Trump's campaign manager:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-be-trump-reset-kellyanne-conway-227149

The gist is she's gonna let Trump be Trump and just "sharpen his message", thinks that people love the idea of a petulant authoritarian as President, and believes that the act of Trump hiring her shows how awesome he is to his female employees. 

Then there's this:

She also sought to dampen criticism of Trump's new campaign CEO Stephen Bannon, who took a leave of absence from leading the far-right conservative Breitbart News empire. 

Seated across from Conway on set, CNN's Camerota read a list of headlines from the website under Bannon, including "There’s No Hiring Bias Against Women In Tech, They Just Suck At Interviews," "Sympathy for the Devils: The Plot Against Roger Ailes — and America," "Big Trans Hate Machine Targets Pitching Great Curt Schilling" and "Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy."

"So I haven't read those stories," Conway conceded, while adding, "but I can tell you the man is a brilliant tactician.

Hope she's at least being paid well to try and spin Bannon's alt-right horse manure into gold. Get your money up front Kellyanne, Trump has a tendency to stiff people.

Normally, I would say something about how having someone like Bannon on board would repel female voters, but the women who are planning to vote for Trump at this point obviously like this sort of thing. :confusion-shrug:

42 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

"So I haven't read those stories," Conway conceded, while adding, "but I can tell you the man is a brilliant tactician.

Yup, the woman can think on her feet!  Many years ago I house sat for a good friend in a neighboring town.  I was chatting with the friend's neighbor when the topic of high school football came up.  He was happy that the previous night his home team had utterly crushed the team of the town where I lived.  When he found out where I was from, without skipping a beat, he said, "Yeah, the game was much closer than the score would suggest!"   Like that. 

42 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hope she's at least being paid well to try and spin Bannon's alt-right horse manure into gold. Get your money up front Kellyanne, Trump has a tendency to stiff people.

Heh, I'm sure she's making top dollar to do EXACTLY THAT: turn Trump's bull shit into campaign gold.  However, on her way to the job, she walked across the bodies of several people who tried to do exactly that;  the Trump crazy train seems the place where campaign managers go to die.   I don't have any other jaded expressions at hand to describe the extent of general nuts of this campaign. 

Yeah, the female Trump supporters.  As they say in this part of the country, "There's no accounting for taste." 

I saw a video of Trump down in Louisiana "helping" pass out stuff out of the back of a truck. He was wearing a suit and a "Make America Great again" hat. I don't know if he brought the supplies or not. Some of them made seemed useful such as baby food and socks. Others had me puzzled. Toy cars and playdough. Why?

So my husband was at work today trying to get a few things wrapped up on a project he is working on when his co-worker asked him who he is voting for. Without even taking a breath after asking that question, the co-worker did a 15 minute rant about how everyone should vote for Trump and those that don't are stupid. My husband tried to gently explain that discussing politics in the workplace is probably not a good idea, but they just kept on going and going and going. He finally just told them that no amount of ranting at him will make him vote for Trump and just excused himself. He said this person made him feel very uncomfortable because they were going on and on about immigrants and how they need to just stop coming to this country. I guess this co-worker must have missed the memo that my husband is an immigrant. I guess they missed the accent and all. Husband said what is really sad is her husband is an immigrant from Brazil. WHAT THE EFF? :pb_eek:

Talking politics at work is a landmine. I don't want to know my co-workers political stance because I would probably lose respect for them. My work life would thus become miserable. @Mecca does Mr. Mecca have an HR dept to complain to? It sounds like it's time for a company newsletter and posted notices.

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

So my husband was at work today trying to get a few things wrapped up on a project he is working on when his co-worker asked him who he is voting for. Without even taking a breath after asking that question, the co-worker did a 15 minute rant about how everyone should vote for Trump and those that don't are stupid. My husband tried to gently explain that discussing politics in the workplace is probably not a good idea, but they just kept on going and going and going. He finally just told them that no amount of ranting at him will make him vote for Trump and just excused himself. He said this person made him feel very uncomfortable because they were going on and on about immigrants and how they need to just stop coming to this country. I guess this co-worker must have missed the memo that my husband is an immigrant. I guess they missed the accent and all. Husband said what is really sad is her husband is an immigrant from Brazil. WHAT THE EFF? :pb_eek:

It's a shame that your husband has to work with someone who is so socially inept. Except for those Americans with 100% Native American ancestors, we're all either immigrants or descended from immigrants. *Slaps head* Oh, I forgot, it's an old American custom that after your family has been here for more than one generation, you can then climb up on your moral high horse and throw tantrums about the newest arrivals. :angry-cussingblack:

I bet the coworker complains at home about immigrants, and then tells her spouse that he's one of the "good" immigrants. :pb_rollseyes:

Two of my bosses are very open about their dislike of Trump, but one is of Pakistani descent and the other is Arab descent so they are of backgrounds Trump fans hate.

This election year we have definitely had many conversations on Trump . Even the establishment Republican types in the office plan on staying home in November.

Hilary is doing the smart thing and essentially let Trump sink his own ship. She must be flabbergasted at her luck - I'd it had been nearly any other candidate she would have been on the defensive with all the scandals!

@Geechee Girl I think what he said before the 95% comment is really bad and insulting.

“You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?” Speaking before another largely-white audience in a town whose population is 93 percent white,

He was in Michigan. There are many communities that are predominately black full of poverty here. Go ask Flint or Detroit black residents that question. Go ask the parents in Flint who have children with permanent lead poisoning what they have to lose by voting for you.

3 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Hilary is doing the smart thing and essentially let Trump sink his own ship. She must be flabbergasted at her luck - I'd it had been nearly any other candidate she would have been on the defensive with all the scandals!

Seth Meyers has a shtick on his late night show about, "Hillary, just leave it ALONE!"  Meaning exactly that.  Hillary, don't engage with Trump at his level.  Just leave him alone to self destruct.  Which is exactly what has happened.  

The August 20th Over the Hedge comic strip has a great story line going about the Furry-Hugs Party One Plank.  Hammy hugs Trump.  Hilarity ensues.  If only....

http://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge

Oh, and Trump is holding a rally in my city (Austin, TX) on Tuesday.  Tempted to attend.  Circuses are always a fun spectacle, right?

The Orange Monster was in our city during the primaries.  And while Mr. CL is a registered Republican with centrist views, he declined to attend with a friend because he said he couldn't handle the stupid.  Then he was even further disappointed to learn that CheetoFace was introduced by the head coach of the local NFL team (Mr. CL is a lifelong fan of the team).  He also keeps his Republican status so that between both of us, we have a say in every primary.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Oh, and Trump is holding a rally in my city (Austin, TX) on Tuesday.  Tempted to attend.  Circuses are always a fun spectacle, right?

Please be careful if you decide to go, and report back! If I were closer, I'd be really tempted to go and experience the crazy for myself.

32 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Please be careful if you decide to go, and report back! If I were closer, I'd be really tempted to go and experience the crazy for myself.

My only real concern is that it's at 7:30 pm and I can't ride my bike there and home.   Don't really want to drive and deal with crazy traffic.  The venue only holds 6500 and it's incredibly short notice so I'm wondering if it will even be full.  

I might be able to find a partner in crime, which could make it more fun.   I won't be wearing a Hillary shirt or anything, but if I can't muster excitement, will I be kicked out?  

I see one LA resident wants to know where the fucking check is...

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/where-is-the-fcking-check-louisiana-relief-worker-spits-fire-over-trumps-flood-zone-photo-op/

A Louisiana resident who is working to aid the thousands of people who have lost their homes and been displaced in the state’s historic flooding lashed out at Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Facebook Saturday.

“Alright, y’all,” wrote Baton Rouge resident Neva Butkus, “I need to clear some things up

Finally, she demanded, “Trump. Seriously. Where is the check. Like where is the fucking check. My people are drowning. My co-workers and family and friends have lost everything. My friends and co-workers that haven’t lost everything are taking off work (my boyfriend is taking PTO) to clean out people’s homes and rip out sheet rock and carpet. Give us money or GTFO. I don’t want to see you in your suit in AUGUST carrying boxes off a truck like you care about us. Louisiana is an incredible place. Baton Rouge is my home and I have watched people drop EVERYTHING to help one another during this time. The whole country seems to be floored by the generosity and love that our residents show each other during tough times, but to us this is normal. This is Louisiana. And you do not belong here.”

Apparently, Donald Trump's new campaign strategy is to just straight up lie about any and every thing. So far this week: an ad that claimed illegal immigrants get social security benefits (they don't, although they often DO pay into it); a statement that 58% of young black people are unemployed (according to HuffPo, the highest rate they could come up with was 28% for high school educated persons aged 17-25); Hillary Clinton is mentally ill (citing faked medical records and "internet sources" - her doctor confirmed again this week that she is perfectly healthy). And then there was his claim that he was going to get 95% of the AA vote in 2020 (which is clearly untrue but may fall under the category "delusional" not "lie").

It's really gross that Trump is just trying to revert back to dog whistles instead of overt racism to get moderate Republicans back.  Sadly it will likely work since the cable news media seems unable to call out blatant lies and bullshit when they see and hear it.  This election isn't over yet. 

Conway  yesterday:

New Trump Campaign Manager Denies Nominee Hurls ‘Personal Insults’

Of course not.

“Well, but he doesn’t hurl personal insults,” she said, before changing the subject to Trump’s pitch to African-Americans earlier this week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kellyanne-conway-trump-personal-insults_us_57b9ad98e4b03d513688ea6f

Trump today:

Trump criticized "Joe" co-host Mika Brzezinski in highly personal terms, calling her "off the wall, a neurotic and not very bright mess!"

He also implied that Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough have been secretly dating. He called them "two clowns."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/22/media/donald-trump-morning-joe-mika/

Trump wrote: "I heard that @Morning_Joe was very nice on Friday but that little Donny D, a big failure in TV (& someone I helped), was nasty. Irrelevant!"

I was at a doc's office today and picked up a magazine that was a bit dated.  An article discussed Senator Jeff Session's difficulties taming Trump's wild talk. Online,  other articles ponder if Trump is trying to "temper" his temper.   These articles are dated between April and June of this year.  No one has been successful in taming Trump.  I don't think current attempts will be any more successful than previous ones. 

I was at a doc's office today and picked up a magazine that was a bit dated.  An article discussed Senator Jeff Session's difficulties taming Trump's wild talk. Online,  other articles ponder if Trump is trying to "temper" his temper.   These articles are dated between April and June of this year.  No one has been successful in taming Trump.  I don't think current attempts will be any more successful than previous ones. 

It may last a short while. Letting Donald self destruct and not engaging is the best advice and I think to this point Hilary has done a great job.

I'm still holding my breathe - don't underestimate stupid!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived