IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

All it takes is a split second for a toddler to bust their head open. Being there isn't enought. Remove the hazard. Why not be safe instead of sorry?

B/c if they were being truly safe, they would have missed a photo op.

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

This may be total BEC, but the fact that the posting refers to the people of El Salvador as "precious" and "sweet" really grates on my nerves. It seems really infantilizing and othering, and doesn't give the impression that they're speaking of people they see as their equals. It's like even after all this time, the people they're ministering to still aren't 100% real to them.

That stuck out to me, too,  But it may have more to do with their limited vocabulary than with their attitude to the people. Or half and half.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nst said:

We have to be there for both weddings.  I am not in Dan's wedding.  Derick is though and Miss Cathy and her adoptive mother weren't invited. 

Why wouldn't Cathy be invited? Have I missed something?

2 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Why wouldn't Cathy be invited? Have I missed something?

I am just telling a story 

Cathy can be the wedding coordinator in your version 

although we all know Sierra is dying to be the wedding coordinator for both weddings and already has submitted her vhs tape audition 

On 7/16/2016 at 5:24 AM, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Just saw on Instagram that Derick's brother, Dan, just proposed to his girlfriend. She's a cute gal who is a Christian and wears shorts. This is a different girlfriend than the one we saw on the show, I don't think they've been together very long. 

They had their 6-month anniversary five weeks ago:

Guess the person who said they're getting married so they can finally have the sex is spot-on.

1 hour ago, nst said:

I am just telling a story 

Cathy can be the wedding coordinator in your version 

although we all know Sierra is dying to be the wedding coordinator for both weddings and already has submitted her vhs tape audition 

I doubt Sierra really knows Dan that much.

Dan may be super religious...but it doesn't seem like he's quite where Derick and the Duggars are.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Guess the person who said they're getting married so they can finally have the sex is spot-on.

That is one hideous bunch of flowers. Fortunately they appear to have the same awfal taste. Good for them. 

But why this triumphmentalism (is that a word?) towards the 'single ladies'? Great you have the most awesome guy in the universe. Don't rub it in.

Sooo, they have been together less time than Jessa and ben did, and more or less as long as Jill and Derick. Yes, it's love and not sex

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

What's that green, pom-pom, looking thing? 

I must admit I kinda love the flowers.  I'm a sucker for lillies.  Well congrats to Dan, hope all is well.  Wonder if they'll have a long engagement 

2 hours ago, Nashville92 said:

I must admit I kinda love the flowers.  I'm a sucker for lillies.  Well congrats to Dan, hope all is well.  Wonder if they'll have a long engagement 

Didn't Dan re-find the Lord last year? I'm guessing an Autumn wedding for that reason. The reason being so he can do sex within the legally binding confines of a marriage and not feel the eternal guilt of making baby Jesus cry.

On 7/14/2016 at 8:30 AM, Four is Enough said:

I'm sitting here thinking that I'm the only mother on this forum who thinks that what Izzy is doing is completely natural. He's certainly learning that "if I stand on this, I can reach that" so... critical thinking! 

I'm hoping that all things that can harm him are out of reach, ok?

But if he falls and knocks his head on the kitchen counter, he'll either learn to push the bumbo a little closer, so he doesn't have to lean as far and tip over, OR, he'll learn, "Hmmm. maybe I shouldn't do that." Critical thinking!

One thing I learned by having Two around is: you can NOT completely baby proof a home from a determined child. 'Taint possible. He will explore and he will get into things.

We had a brick hearth. When Two was learning to crawl, he was fascinated by it. We never put bumpers around it, and he never got a concussion, or even bumped his head on it. 

This.

It's called "learning critical thinking skills"

1 minute ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

This.

It's called "learning critical thinking skills"

Uh oh, can't have that in Duggar-land.

"But it's 1.) putting women in their "God-given role" of being mothers, and 2.) primarily limited to families with at least some financial means rather than the very poor, so those embryos just don't matter like pregnancies terminated by abortion do."

This. 

That's why some people feel comfortable banning abortions except in rape or incest with a minor--after all, the "baby" is still a "Baby" if that is what you actually think, no inherent difference in the "babies," it's about punishing women who have sex on purpose.

IMO, the "when does life begin?" argument is also disingenuous-- in no other instance except for a woman who has had sex is someone required to surrender THEIR body in order to promote the life of someone else (not saying I think a fetus is someone else, just trying to carry through their "logic). Hell, in many parts of this country you're allowed to pull out a gun and kill somebody who you think might be threatening you, much less is actually requiring your body parts.
When anti-choice people agree to legislation that requires them to donate kidneys or skin to other people who need them in order to survive, maybe I'll start taking them seriously.

22 minutes ago, patsymae said:

That's why some people feel comfortable banning abortions except in rape or incest with a minor--after all, the "baby" is still a "Baby" if that is what you actually think, no inherent difference in the "babies," it's about punishing women who have sex on purpose.

I;m strongly pro-choice, but I only really respected the "anti-" views when they would say this.  You either believe it's a life, or not.  If you do, rape or incest are just inconveniences to be endured like carrying to term is.  At least that view is consistent.  Otherwise it's like you say, you get a break if you didn't have sex on purpose, but if you did, you better face the consequences.

@SnazzyNazzy, I think that green pompom thing is a green chrysanthemum of the pompom variety.

ETA: I don't think I've seen a green mum since the 60s.

I like the flowers, too - I love bright colors! I don't particularly like lilies, but these happen to be one of my favorite shades of orange. 

i don't know much about street preaching - but what Derick is doing in SCA - wouldn't be acceptable in regular cities would it ? People here would walk by it and think he was nuts..

much less - couldn't he go to regular Baptist churches where he lives - charge money and preach and do his works that way. Only Fundies and his relatives would pay for that - and the TLC crew - but again that does that change the purpose 

they are Wasting their lives with this pretend sermons 

Or is it because these people in SCA won't actually tell him to stop because it's under the guise of "preaching" opposed to something else in the other parts of Canada or the US? 

I can't believe you people are chatting about flowers and weddings and babies when there's a hugely important question to be answered...

How will CintralMurica survive without the Dillards? Should it maybe close up shop completely till they return??

:Mexinoes::Mexinoes::Mexinoes:

On 7/15/2016 at 11:35 AM, VelociRapture said:

I think this is a very important distinction between the militant pro-lifers and those who just don't like the idea of abortion for whatever reason. Some posters - like @ClaraOswin@Incognito22- have said they're probably more conservative on this issue than most of us are... Yet we still see them supporting access to birth control, better sex Ed curriculums, and women's right to decide in most hypothetical scenarios. As you correctly pointed out, that isn't the case for Gothard or people like him. And the difference absolutely comes down to whether someone wants to control women or not.

Thank you for seeing this difference. It is a critical difference. I am pro-life, but fully and heartily support access to birth control and sex ed. I think the latter reduces the former.

36 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

Thank you for seeing this difference. It is a critical difference. I am pro-life, but fully and heartily support access to birth control and sex ed. I think the latter reduces the former.

I do see the difference and I'm always glad when I see pro-lifers supporting reasonable education and access to contraception. That doesn't mean I approve or think it's right for someone to judge other people's choices though - even if someone silently judges (which is preferable to vocalizing judgement). It's not right to pass judgement in my opinion if you haven't walked in that specific person's shoes.

If someone says they're pro-life, but want to force those views on everyone through legislation - that's not ok at all. If, however, someone is pro-life, but doesn't want legislation passed and they specifically mean that they personally couldn't have an abortion - that's ok to me. Everyone has different standards for themselves and, as a firmly pro-choice person, I believe everyone should decide for themselves whether they want an abortion without being shamed or pressured.

For instance, I'm pregnant now with a very wanted child - but if I learned my child would be born so severely ill or disabled that they wouldn't live long past birth I would abort without hesitating. Thats one of the very few situations I would choose abortion for myself, but I believe other women have every right in the world to decide otherwise for themselves.

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I do see the difference and I'm always glad when I see pro-lifers supporting reasonable education and access to contraception.

I see access to education about sex and to birth control (including abstinence) being the ONE place that pro-life and pro-choice adherents can agree.

Birth control and knowledge offers choice of when to conceive and reduces the number of unwanted babies or abortions. I think that health plans should cover it (giving a pass to those Catholic plans since the Catholic church has a centuries long prohibition on abortion and birth control--don't agree with their stance on bc, but acknowledge that they have been consistent and therefore should not be force by the ebil state to change doctrine).

AND...I think that pro-life people need to be the first ones to open their wallets to support moms who choose to keep an unwanted baby and to adopt a child. Consistency, people, not hypocrisy.

I can't believe she felt the need to give advice to single people in her instagram post.  WTF? Condescending much? 

"OMG I have the best boyfriend evaaa!!1!1! Sorry everyone else.. just wait for the lord to bring you one!"

19 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I can't believe she felt the need to give advice to single people in her instagram post.  WTF? Condescending much? 

"OMG I have the best boyfriend evaaa!!1!1! Sorry everyone else.. just wait for the lord to bring you one!"

Yep. It's more of that submissive bullshit. Tell that to the SAHDs in their thirties still waiting around for God to give them a knight in shining armor. 

MDont take your life into your own hands ladies! But if you do, clasp those hands in prayer! Because God will send you someone! Pinky promise!

32 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

i am lost here - who is this person that you are referring to 

and I search before i ask :D

"We plan on taking some Bible classes as we continue to work in ministry from the US."

Great, Jill and Derrick can be study buddies with Benbob. They can drag both their screaming infants to the coffee shop!

Although what are the odds that JillyMuffin (esp. if she's pregnant) will actually crack open a book? 

And note that there is no mention of Jill's "midwife" work.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived