IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

I'm genuinely curious to see a Dan Dillard wedding. I wonder how different it will be since it's more... well, I don't wanna say fundie lite but in contrast with his brother, that might be apropo. Will there be dancing? I assume definitely no alcohol.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I'm genuinely curious to see a Dan Dillard wedding. I wonder how different it will be since it's more... well, I don't wanna say fundie lite but in contrast with his brother, that might be apropo. Will there be dancing? I assume definitely no alcohol.

I'm guessing there will be music that isn't too risqué. So they can slow dance.

7 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

I can't believe you people are chatting about flowers and weddings and babies when there's a hugely important question to be answered...

How will CintralMurica survive without the Dillards? Should it maybe close up shop completely till they return??

:Mexinoes::Mexinoes::Mexinoes:

They'll just have to keep sweet until the Dillards come back to bring more heathen to The Only Correct Form of Christianity.

19 hours ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

It's called "learning critical thinking skills"

An infant/young toddler does not have the capacity to think critically. Perhaps some pavlovian type behavior can be coerced, but it would not be the result of higher order risk assessment.

Protect your little ones, in time they will develop common sense. Besides, even with your protection they will hurt themselves sometimes. So don't add to the situation by lax supervision.

@nst  I was referring to the girl Dan Dillard proposed to. In her instagram post with the orange bouquet of flowers, she wrote that shes so lucky to have a great boyfriend and those single ladies out there just need to wait for the lord to bring them a boyfriend.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

An infant/young toddler does not have the capacity to think critically. Perhaps some pavlovian type behavior can be coerced, but it would not be the result of higher order risk assessment.

Protect your little ones, in time they will develop common sense. Besides, even with your protection they will hurt themselves sometimes. So don't add to the situation by lax supervision.

I totally agree. And....Guilt is the Gift that Keeps on Giving!! When my kids were little, back in the day, I took every precaution that was suggested/that I read about. Why would I not? As the oldest of eight children myself, I knew all about continual, careful supervision of small children. It was totally worth it for me and my family.

Why would I ignore something that occurred to me, and then have to live with results?

I think the flowers are fine. As long as she likes them that's all that matters. The man she loves sent her flowers. I am sure it made her day. I hope they have the wedding they want, not Dillard wedding 2.0 because they might get some airtime. 

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yep. It's more of that submissive bullshit. Tell that to the SAHDs in their thirties still waiting around for God to give them a knight in shining armor. 

MDont take your life into your own hands ladies! But if you do, clasp those hands in prayer! Because God will send you someone! Pinky promise!

Or as comfort that "It's not you, God just hasn't found the right man for you yet."

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

And of course I did not mean that Izzy had completely thought out the entire set of possiblilties that could have resulted from his dragging the bumbo over to the cupboard and using it to reach something on the top. However, he DID reason enough to figure out that by using the bumbo, he could reach up higher, and to me, that is the beginning, at least, of critical thinking. 

Of COURSE we must protect our children. But by limiting all of their opportunities to learn, how will they learn?  In order to develop common sense, they must also endure a few knocks. And yes, I mean falls, skinned knees, fingers shut in cupboards, etc. I do NOT mean ingesting poisons, sticking knives into outlets, chewing on electric devices.

10 hours ago, Purrl said:

Or as comfort that "It's not you, God just hasn't found the right man for you yet."

Or, God is keeping you single on purpose and you can justify it with the fact that you haven't learned some kind of godly lesson or aren't acting godly enough, and as a result you just keep feeling like crap.  The same way you feel if you are married and you aren't getting pregnant fast enough.  Since kids are a blessing from God, it means you aren't blessed enough as the others who have a dozen-plus kids.

Oh man, 6 months? Yep, totally not about sex.

I've always hated those "I have the best boyfriend!" type posts. Even as someone who is in a relationship, they're so braggy and they're always about typical relationship shit. "I have the best boyfriend, he cooked dinner!" Well, that's kind of expected sometimes...

23 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I've always hated those "I have the best boyfriend!" type posts. Even as someone who is in a relationship, they're so braggy and they're always about typical relationship shit. "I have the best boyfriend, he cooked dinner!" Well, that's kind of expected sometimes...

he is a keeper if he buys toliet paper

2 minutes ago, nst said:

and changes the roll when empty without asking.

28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I got married at 10 months post our first date (engaged at 2 months) and it totally wasn't about sex (coming up on 9 years married this year)... we were already doing that!! So, you never know, maybe they just KNOW...

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

And of course I did not mean that Izzy had completely thought out the entire set of possiblilties that could have resulted from his dragging the bumbo over to the cupboard and using it to reach something on the top. However, he DID reason enough to figure out that by using the bumbo, he could reach up higher, and to me, that is the beginning, at least, of critical thinking. 

Of COURSE we must protect our children. But by limiting all of their opportunities to learn, how will they learn?  In order to develop common sense, they must also endure a few knocks. And yes, I mean falls, skinned knees, fingers shut in cupboards, etc. I do NOT mean ingesting poisons, sticking knives into outlets, chewing on electric devices.

I totally agree. I refuse to be a helicopter mom. My kids fall all the damn time. Hopefully they learn from it. Who knows. I don't have time to guilt myself over every little bump or bruise. Sounds like a stressful life.

56 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I got married at 10 months post our first date (engaged at 2 months) and it totally wasn't about sex (coming up on 9 years married this year)... we were already doing that!! So, you never know, maybe they just KNOW...

Me too. Married a little over a year after first date (engaged at about 8 months after first date, though we'd been talking about it for months). First baby due a little less than a year after wedding. Sometimes people just have their act together and know what they want when they want it.

I knew my husband was the one for me, from the almost the beginning of our relationship. However we didn't get married for five years (he had a lot of growing up to do). Sorry for grammar been working insane hours at work.

1 hour ago, nst said:

To me it's tampons. If a guy can go get those for me without making it a huge drama then he's a keeper!

Putting the snark aside for one second...the video on the Duggar's FB page from the Dullards made me nearly die of the cute. Izzy saying hola is just adorable.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

One of my pet peeves, LOL! I'll see a post from a MAN thanking his wife and listing all she does, including working two jobs and taking care of their disabled daughter, and still putting dinner on the table for him when he gets home, every day.

Then his wife sings his praises to the heavens when she comes home and, just  once in their marriage, he has laundry done.

I know the couple well and he comes home and sits on his ass except to eat. She works, changes and washes her adult daughter's sheets and bedding daily because of accidents, and scrambles to get dinner together.

1 minute ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

One of my pet peeves, LOL! I'll see a post from a MAN thanking his wife and listing all she does, including working two jobs and taking care of their disabled daughter, and still putting dinner on the table for him when he gets home, every day.

Then his wife sings his praises to the heavens when she comes home and, just  once in their marriage, he has laundry done.

I know the couple well and he comes home and sits on his ass except to eat. She works, changes and washes her adult daughter's sheets and bedding daily because of accidents, and scrambles to get dinner together.

Just shows you that the ones that sing the highest praises on FB are always the ones in the worst condition (at least I've seen that regularly).

Just now, karen77 said:

Just shows you that the ones that sing the highest praises on FB are always the ones in the worst condition (at least I've seen that regularly).

I agree with you. It's almost like the posters are trying to convince themselves and others that their relationship is perfect. Usually there are deep problems.

I have a cousin who always posts about cuddling in bed, sleeping in, having "quality time" in bed, with her husband. Ew. Who is she posting that for? 

49 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I totally agree. I refuse to be a helicopter mom. My kids fall all the damn time. Hopefully they learn from it. Who knows. I don't have time to guilt myself over every little bump or bruise. Sounds like a stressful life.

To each her own. One signs up for stress when having children, unless you go the Naugler route.

Protecting them is not limiting them. And a chimp can figure out to stand on an object to reach something else, so what?

Not talking about helicoptering, or guilt. Just plain common sense. Little bumps and bruises are of course nothing to freak out about. But splitting a head open on a countertop edge is.

Note that teenager brains are not yet fully capable of rational decision making, so give a toddler a break and control the environment.

BTW a kid who falls all the time may have a gross motor deficiency.

13 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

To each her own. One signs up for stress when having children, unless you go the Naugler route.

Protecting them is not limiting them. And a chimp can figure out to stand on an object to reach something else, so what?

Not talking about helicoptering, or guilt. Just plain common sense. Little bumps and bruises are of course nothing to freak out about. But splitting a head open on a countertop edge is.

Note that teenager brains are not yet fully capable of rational decision making, so give a toddler a break and control the environment.

BTW a kid who falls all the time may have a gross motor deficiency.

Thanks for letting me know my 18 month old could have a gross motor deficiency based on one sentence posted over the Internet. That's classy.

It's not about preventing all accidents, but the way Isreal was standing was incredibly dangerous.  If he had reached a little bit farther, he could have had a very serious injury.  You can help your kid develop their independence.  In his case, you ask him what he wants, show how tippy his solution was, and help him find another.  He gets to continue to explore, he learned a lesson on stability without getting hurt, and has hopefully learned to consider that in the future.

14 hours ago, Purrl said:

Gee, you think God would be right on top of that. Can't He do anything? They make Him sound like a yenta!

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Of course they must learn by experience. I think the snark came from the (predictable) act of photographing it instead of stepping in.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived