IGNORED

Jinjer 1: Courting

Yaoichan12

I don't know, I don't have any hope that this is going to be the guy to whisk Jinger off to NYC or anything like that. I also know literally nothing about him, so it's hard for me to say that he's going to be an overzealous monster who will crush her spirit more than it already has been.

I'm happy for Jinger, but really just because this means that she'll finally be able to start her own life and get out of her parent's house. It would be amazing if they actually loved each other and he was a more liberal headship than she's used to, but I think to jump to that conclusion at this juncture might be a little foolishly optimistic.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prediction: 

a very pregnant Sierra will plan a bridal shower and wedding for Jinger with the help of Joy as her assistant. The wedding shower will be so different because it will be coed! Shocking! 

Very interesting.  Now Jinger will get to the move to the bustling metropolis of Laredo.  She did say she wanted to move to a big city.  Now Jeremy can create a soccer based ministry that the rest of the J Boys (and Ben) can share with others.  After all "The Ultimate Goal" is leading others to Christ for the Duggars, right? Of course the girls cannot be involved because they just wouldn't be modest in knee length shorts and soccer jerseys.....

30 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It's a church plant still under the authority of another church.  http://www.gcclaredo.com/

My guess is that he's the only pastor, or perhaps one of two, at a store front IFB church.  Luckily Counting On wasn't cancelled because he'd need a side job selling used cars.  That is, if he isn't as good a grifter as the Dillards.  

Are church plants different there than they are here in NC? They are supported not only by their own members, but also the church that planted it, insuring a good income for the pastor until they are self sustaining. Church plants here are a pretty lucrative business. 

2 minutes ago, Slt said:

Are church plants different there than they are here in NC? They are supported not only by their own members, but also the church that planted it, insuring a good income for the pastor until they are self sustaining. Church plants here are a pretty lucrative business. 

I'm laughing that I have no idea whether you are talking about a plant like azaleas or some church thing.

The only thing that makes me a bit happy is that now Jinger will get to be the focus of attention, after being in the shadow of Blessa and all her newlywed bliss for the past few years. And I wonder if Jessa will be pissed  (in a godly way, of course) that she is no longer The Important One and The Center of Attention.

5 minutes ago, Slt said:

They are different everywhere depending on the denomination or the people who are doing them. I've heard of people doing church plants completely independently with no affiliation with a denominational group or an established church. A cousin of mine and her husband, straight out of a Bible college, were involved in one like that. It went terribly wrong with in-fighting, financial issues including questions about who was spending money on what, etc...On the upside, it got her and her husband to step away from fundamentalism. 

44 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It's a church plant still under the authority of another church.  http://www.gcclaredo.com/

My guess is that he's the only pastor, or perhaps one of two, at a store front IFB church.  Luckily Counting On wasn't cancelled because he'd need a side job selling used cars.  That is, if he isn't as good a grifter as the Dillards.  

Probably not IFB. They never even claim to be baptistic, much less Baptist and no IFB could resist that. They do claim to be reformed and the vast majority of IFB are not Calvinistic. Independent, except of the planting church, possibly, but that is as far as I would go.

6 minutes ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

I wonder if Jessa will be pissed  (in a godly way, of course) that she is no longer The Important One and The Center of Attention.

I hope so!

And I hope he treats Jinger well.

33 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

. . .

I am a little confused on the Catholic though..

I get the whole 'works don't get you into heaven' for them and whatnot* but filthy is a little extreme.

. . .

I have a hard time thinking any deity worth worshiping would see genuinely good acts as filthy - but what do I know.

. . .

This is from Isaiah 64:6- " all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Of course, there's a context in which that verse is located. . .

Just now, twinmama said:

Cripes that'd be ballsy. Not even engaged and taking his name. lol Ask Marjorie how permanent courtship is.

I think Jill and Jessa did the same thing? 

Just now, Kira said:

Really? Wow. I don't have Instagram or a good memory lol

4 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I kinda have this feeling too. 

Even an experienced 22 I would say you're barely out of your teens. Whereas 28 is definitely an adult. If you take Jinger's stunted 22 there's going to be quite a power differential. 

In this case, though, it may be to her advantage.   If he is old enough and secure enough in himself to resist Duggarization, Jinger will benefit in the long run.  Six years is not so much after age 25. Initially he may have the advantage, but unless he is a domineering, sexist creep like her father, he may give her room to grow.

Let's just hope they settle in Texas.

Just now, Kira said:

They did. Or at least it was very quickly after being in a courtship/getting engaged

2 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Thoughts on Jana (I know this is the Jinger courtship thread, but lots are mentioning feeling sorry for her here). In an episode on Counting On, she made it very clear that she wants a man who gets his hands dirty and is hardworking. In my mind, I instantly pictured a farmer with his own land.

Now I'm generalizing here, but most farmers I know keep to themselves and do not seek attention (and honestly this could really be said about many hard working individuals who work with their hands). I think the type of individual the duggars seek are boys who are looking for some limelight. Who know how to use every event for the almighty dollar. Everything is hush until an "announcement" can be made on television or via magazine spread. Basically they are looking for someone who can schmooze their "followers" in order to keep the dough rolling in. I'm sorry, but I don't see an ACTUAL hardworking, self-sufficient, individual willing to do that. Chances are Jana is SOL until either 1) her family loses their fame a bit (i.e. show officially canceled), or 2) She becomes willing to marry someone who didn't meet her standards.

Maybe Jana will be like Rachel Wismann and marry a farmer and enjoy country life and a quiet motherhood.

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Prediction: 

a very pregnant Sierra will plan a bridal shower and wedding for Jinger with the help of Joy as her assistant. The wedding shower will be so different because it will be coed! Shocking! 

Nope, Sierra with morning sickness plan ninguna a brida shower. At least it will be different than jessa's wedding

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

I'm stuck on what on earth a 28 year old who has had an actual life with experiences wants with a does nothing at all 22 year old girl who is basically 13 emotionally and mentally. Seriously, what on earth would they even talk about, just god?

"I can show you the world - shining, shimmering, splendid!  Now tell me, princess, when did you last let your heart decide?  I can open your eyes.  Take you wonder by wonder!"

He won't though.  He'll be holier-than-thou and keep her at home barefoot, pregnant, submissive, and praising god. 

This guy is *courting* Jinger. If he was even slightly liberal, I doubt he would pursue that method of "dating." If he was a liberal or modest or shy person (at all), he wouldn't want to marry into the Duggar family. He's a zealous attention whore like the others, unfortunately. They say women are typically attracted to men like their fathers, and in the fundie world, a man like your father is presented as the ideal helpmate from the time you're born. The girls were raised to marry miniature Jim Bobs. 

In addition, The Duggars don't know what modesty is outside of long skirts or how the real world operates. The reality is that even if one of the Duggar kids escapes or leaves the cult, they will always be stunted, and will never really be able to relate to the secular world. It will be incredibly hard, and everything along the way will be completely foreign to them. Some have probably thought about leaving, but doing so would just be too hard, in every conceivable way.

1 minute ago, 16strong said:

The girls were raised to marry miniature Jim Bobs. 

I don't know whether to cry or vomit at that thought.

Just now, twinmama said:

I don't know whether to cry or vomit at that thought.

I think both are appropriate.

4 minutes ago, 16strong said:

The reality is that even if one of the Duggar kids escapes or leaves the cult, they will always be stunted, and will never really be able to relate to the secular world. It will be incredibly hard, and everything along the way will be completely foreign to them. Some have probably thought about leaving, but doing so would just be too hard, in every conceivable way.

Eh, people have left worse situations than growing up Duggar and made it work. I'm sure they'll always have a bit of damage from it even if they leave, but they aren't shackled in a shed away from all of society. They've traveled, they can read, they have a source of income if they want to write a book or whatever about their "real" life. I'm sure they are in a MUCH better place to leave fundiedom than a lot of people their age.

Plus they live in the south where you can work at Chick Fil A or Target and still afford to live a relatively normal life on that income.

Ok, I don't believe this for a second, but cue the fantasy dream-sequence music...

Maybe, Jinger said to her dad "You can give this relationship the Duggar seal of approval, air it on your show, and garner lots of ratings, or I can leave and marry this guy and you can have a scandal" and that was that. 

I know, pure fantasy. 

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived