IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Seven

samurai_sarah

I still feel horrible that I am a supporter of fanfict names as one of my goals for the third How to train your dragon is that Hiccup and Astrid have a son named Finn Stoick Haddock. 

Finn for her uncle and the middle name his dad. 

As for the HP kids, yeah the names weren't genius. Sadly even the almighty JK. Rowling can mess up. 

Spurgeon sounds like a HP name I could see him getting sorted into Hufflepuff. :giggle:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Drifting away from Harry Potter, the video of Unfortunately Named Child crawling is adorable. Unfortunate name or not, he's a definite cutie pie.

That's not crawling, it's creeping like a snake. Elliot is a cutie pie, let's be honest

I liked Snape, but I suspect that has more to do with Alan Rickman than the character. I really think JK is missing a trick by not doing a set of prequel books, I think there's much more interest in the first battle with Voldemort and the original order of the phoenix etc than there is in 'what happened next'. (Although I'm quite intrigued as to whether Harry and his cohorts had to retake their NEWTS in order to get jobs afterwards).

2 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

That's not crawling, it's creeping like a snake. Elliot is a cutie pie, let's be honest

Whatever it was, I laughed at how proud he looked of himself. That kid is seriously adorable. And very happy. I hope he stays that way and doesn't wind up being broken like a lot of these kids are.

And Jessa does seem far happier now than she ever did at the TTH. More content in some ways. I could hear it in her voice when she was talking to little Spurgeon.

25 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Whatever it was, I laughed at how proud he looked of himself. That kid is seriously adorable. And very happy. I hope he stays that way and doesn't wind up being broken like a lot of these kids are.

And Jessa does seem far happier now than she ever did at the TTH. More content in some ways. I could hear it in her voice when she was talking to little Spurgeon.

Yeah, I really like how his attitude seems to be "hell yeah I'm getting across this floor like a champ check this out mom".

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I thought he was adorable when crawling on the dirty floor :)

I think Jessa is good at the way she talks to him - not babying but grown up discussion

I think  children react well when talked like that  - but I don't have kids - but I  like that way - jmo

It's too bad that these folks don't realize that what you can do with and for 1 or 2 babies, you (not you + your daughter slaves) cannot do for a dozen.

Aw thank you! Among many other family members, my favorite great-Aunt's middle name was Anna and my late Aunt's middle name was Elizabeth. If we have a girl we thought it would be a nice way to remember them while giving our daughter her own identity.

(Plus, both names pass the Presidential test too.)

And I agree about Snape. I can see why he would have trouble tolerating Harry at times, but the amount of abuse he directed at him was way over the top. The kid hadn't even been at school for a full day before Snape was making him miserable!

Let us not forget the a use he heaped on poor Neville. Why does Dumbledore allow teachers like this?

19 hours ago, season of life said:

I never liked Snape. I hate it when adults use their authority to bully and mock children, especially teachers. Snape can sit in syrup.

@VelociRaptor, Anna Elizabeth and Brandon Gerard sound great! So elegant, so handsome.

Anna is a family name on my mums side. My Nanna and my niece. Also my step cousin from my uncles second marriage.

It's a beautiful name. If I had a daughter (all boys!) she would have been JoAnna).

57 minutes ago, Trynn said:

Let us not forget the a use he heaped on poor Neville. Why does Dumbledore allow teachers like this?

With DADA he didn't have much choice - he pretty much had to just go with whoever volunteered.

As for the other positions, none of the teachers were abusive the way Snape was. Dumbledore allowed it because, again, I don't think he had a choice. Snape offered everything to save Lily (and, very grudgingly, James and Harry) and he turned double agent to make sure Dumbledore did what he could to protect them. Dumbledore always knew Voldemort wasn't really gone - he needed to keep Snape around so he could once again turn double agent when the time came and provide Voldemort with information he would think was invaluable, but which was actually carefully selected by Dumbledore.

Had Dumbledore removed Snape, he wouldn't have been able to provide a valid reason for why he had all that information - it would have been highly suspect. And, while he likely wasn't happy with how Snape treated the students, it likely helped play into the whole, "I was just biding my time until the Dark Lord returned," storyline. He may have (somewhat grudgingly) allowed the behavior for that reason.

@VelociRapture Anna is such a lovely name! It's pretty high on my own Hypothetical Children's Names list, though mainly because I want an A name (honor my grandfather, whose name begins with A), and because if I end up doing diplomacy as a career, I want my kid(s) to have names that are easy to pronounce and spell in most languages, and Anna fits both those categories.

23 hours ago, Trynn said:

I always kind of wondered what Neville thought of Harry naming his Albus Severus after the man who bullied them relentlessly for seven years. 

4 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I always kind of wondered what Neville thought of Harry naming his Albus Severus after the man who bullied them relentlessly for seven years. 

I personally wish Albus' name was Arthur Rubeus. Seriously though, Harry (and most readers) despised Snape until the last 75ish pages of the 7th book. Snape only did what he did because of his obsession with Lily. He was going to kill Neville's toad! I don't understand any arguments defending him. 

(In case my username didn't give it away, I'm a huge harry potter fan)

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I personally wish Albus' name was Arthur Rubeus. Seriously though, Harry (and most readers) despised Snape until the last 75ish pages of the 7th book. Snape only did what he did because of his obsession with Lily. He was going to kill Neville's toad! I don't understand any arguments defending him. 

(In case my username didn't give it away, I'm a huge harry potter fan)

Idk, I started to soften towards Snape just a little when we saw those memories of James bullying him. I can't remember which book that was-6th? Ha, excuse to reread them for the 10th time. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

Idk, I started to soften towards Snape just a little when we saw those memories of James bullying him. I can't remember which book that was-6th? Ha, excuse to reread them for the 10th time. 

I could be wrong, but I think it was the fifth book-- didn't that episode take place during Occlumency lessons? The pretense used was for remedial Potions, and Snape taught DADA Harry's sixth year. 

10 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I could be wrong, but I think it was the fifth book-- didn't that episode take place during Occlumency lessons? The pretense used was for remedial Potions, and Snape taught DADA Harry's sixth year. 

Snape tells Harry his father was a bully, but it was the fifth book he actually sees for himself. Harry is disturbed enough by what he saw that he even asks Lupin and Sirius about it - despite having enjoyed it immensely at the time, Lupin admits guilt at not stopping it (because he was scared his friends wouldn't like him if he did) and even Sirius admits it was wrong. We saw more memories of Snape towards the end of Book 7, of course, including the aftermath of that specific bullying scene.

I think a big reason people feel sympathy for him is also due to Snape's own traumatic childhood and the parallels between him and Harry. Both are raised under less than ideal circumstances by muggles that don't seem to like or approve of magic - Harry by the abusive Dursleys, Snape at the mercy of a father who seems to abuse him and his mother (or, at the very least, is constantly fighting with his wife.) Both are ecstatic to head off to school away from these abusive situations. Both are bullied by boys that are obviously well loved and somewhat spoiled by their parents - Harry by Draco and Snape by James. Both are eager to make friends and fit in. 

The big difference is that Harry was able to make good and positive friendships (partly due to his fame and partly cause he's just a sweetie in the early books), while Snape wasn't really able to (because he was so weird and so different at a young age that he made a really easy target.) 

So I think, despite everything horrible he did, that it is a bit easy to still feel pity for him and to understand why he turned into the man he was (while also not condoning the abuse he heaped on Harry and others.) Things could have gone very differently for him and for Harry. And I think Harry realizes that and feels a great deal of sympathy for him for that reason - Snape was a brilliant wizard who was naturally talented at many things. Had he been given the chance he could have done a great deal of good in their world. As it stands, he faced too many obstacles and it seems to have been too difficult for him to try and overcome completely. The best he could do was warn Dumbledore about the threat to Harry, bargain with him for the Potters protection, and secretly devote his life to protecting Lily's only child after she and James died. 

(Sorry guys! I'm a massive HP fan and I know a ton about the books because I read them so much. I have a problem. :pb_lol:)

Snape doesn't bother me I get it. He hated James so thus he hated Harry. I didn't like Sirius. I also didn't like Ron.:runs and hides in the cupboard under the stairs:

I liked Snape. I always thought he was misunderstood. This was probably influenced by my reading a lot of severitus fan fiction in between books. 

ETA: plus it didn't hurt that my favourite actor portrayed him in the films

I wonder if Hermione could be a middle name for a potential daughter of mine. You know, I used to pronounce Ginny's name all wrong. Not Jinny, but with a g like guinea pig. I was so embarrassed when I watched the movies to realize I got it wrong.

On 6/21/2016 at 8:53 AM, nst said:

I thought he was adorable when crawling on the dirty floor :)

I think Jessa is good at the way she talks to him - not babying but grown up discussion

I think  children react well when talked like that  - but I don't have kids - but I  like that way - jmo

Same, I always get on kids level and talk to them like a normal person. I've noticed some of the Preds guys do too, two are REALLY good with little ones. 

1 hour ago, season of life said:

I wonder if Hermione could be a middle name for a potential daughter of mine. You know, I used to pronounce Ginny's name all wrong. Not Jinny, but with a g like guinea pig. I was so embarrassed when I watched the movies to realize I got it wrong.

Hermione Gingold is in the film I am watching at the moment, The Music Man, playing the mayor's wife, Eulalie McKechnie Shinn.  I like the name Hermione, too.  I knew a Ginny some years ago.  Her first name was probably Virginia.  I like Virginia enough that one of my daughters has Virginia as a middle name.

Damn!  I came over here to see the snark on Jessa's latest contribution to the culinary world:  "Beef & Potato Bake"
She doesn't know how to use a knife, doesn't preheat the oven (as usual), and this concoction is just :my_sick:
4 lbs. of potatoes (unevenly cubed/diced/sliced/whatever), 1 lb ground beef (divided into 4 wads), throw in a pan and bake.

2 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Damn!  I came over here to see the snark on Jessa's latest contribution to the culinary world:  "Beef & Potato Bake"
She doesn't know how to use a knife, doesn't preheat the oven (as usual), and this concoction is just :my_sick:
4 lbs. of potatoes (unevenly cubed/diced/sliced/whatever), 1 lb ground beef (divided into 4 wads), throw in a pan and bake.

Sounds like a nasty variation of hamburger helper

2 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Where did she post this "recipe"?

15 hours ago, manda b said:

Snape doesn't bother me I get it. He hated James so thus he hated Harry. I didn't like Sirius. I also didn't like Ron.:runs and hides in the cupboard under the stairs:

I'm not the biggest Ron fan either. I also don't like Molly Weasley. I think it's because my own parents were so lax, I find her parenting style overbearing snd controlling.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived